SWTOR is incredibly underrated

CharlesSolo

I’ve been around SWTOR since 2012. I’ve left at times for FF14 and WOW. Both great games. But while those games get the proper respect why is SWTOR always an afterthought?

I’ve left wow because of shadowlands. The gearing rng is ridiculous. The grind for legendaries and upgrades is ridiculous. The taking away of flight at the beginning of each expansion is ridiculous. All the while the community puts up with it while Ion tells them he knows best.

SWTOR gives players what they want. The best gear available for every player. Great mounts and armors for every player. Great perks through the legacy system. QOL improvements.

Almost everything you want is obtainable in the game some things will take time but the grind for them is nothing like other MMOs.

Tons of content. Yes, the newer content is not as abundant but if you’ve never played this game can keep you bust for a long time.

I agree.

I've also abandoned WoW because even the story is grind now (such a shame) and I hate being funnelled into raiding as the holy cow of content. No thanks.

I've dipped in and out of SWTOR too over the years, and I think it's in fine condition these days. I've played many MMOs and, while I have genuine empathy for long-term dedicated SWTOR players who feel the game has changed to it's detriment, I honestly think that's one of the hazards of playing any MMO for a long time (see the WoW thing above.)

But I love how SWTOR handles story, I love my characters, I love the world we're in, I love the various types of gameplay (even though I don't play them all). It's not flawless but what MMO is? I'm very happy with it atm, and I agree, I wish it received more love and kudos.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine the matchmaking system will prioritize the lowest leveled toons in the same match. :rak_02:

I doubt it, they can't seem to fix the match making system in the game. Not the pvp one, nor GSF.

It use to be until, Bioware drove many of us from the game with poor decisions or we stopped playing pvp because of said choices.

Speaking as a non pvp, I used to play every now and then, for achievements, etc but as you said, they sunk that ship, and I didn't feel like going down with it. The couple of times I tried it again, because of comp alerts, made me remember why I hated it, and gave up on the alerts.

Edited by DarkTergon

I agree with everything said here. Also here on referral. And it makes me curious about ESO because I've never tried it. Heard the story is nothing to write home about.

Actually, the story isn't bad. But, it's one story per faction (there are 3) and one for everyone. The original 8 class stories here are probably the best in any MMO. The combat is a LOT different, so that can take some getting used to (took me 6 months to get out of SWTOR habits in it.) There is a huge amount of content and they keep adding more.

(If you like large group PVP, stay out of faction locked Cyrodil, that tends to be a slide show.) It's built on the Hero Engine (although that is seldom admitted after SWTOR destroyed the reputation of the engine.) Ilum had all sorts of lag issues, too, so I expect it really is an engine issue, but they're trying to improve it and the no CP and Standard Cyrodil instances are a lot better.

Population there is Huge. They've had over 18 million accounts created and the last report I saw said they had 3 million active accounts. That is split about evenly between PC, XBox and Play Station.

Sad thing is SWTOR could have been that popular if management at EA had actually worried about quality control and maintained the original quality and class stories through the expansions. Of course, it would have helped if they'd launched with an end game in place so the majority of players didn't leave after 2 months. It never recovered and has slid downhill a bit more with each expansion. ;(

I imagine the matchmaking system will prioritize the lowest leveled toons in the same match. :rak_02:

Tested it and it doesn’t do as “it should”, I was a against a team with 1x lvl 64 and the rest were pre lvl 30. My team was all lvl 60+ and 1x lvl 13. It was a complete whitewash for other team.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Because WoW was first, people have invested too much time and money into it to perma quit. MANY players, myself included, simply can't quit WoW and focus on another game because they grew up with it since Vanilla - it's literally a part of our lives at this point, WoW is like a religion I kid you not.

I play SWTOR when I burn out heavily on WoW like I have atm basically, seeing as it's the.. well, closest WoW clone there is in it's combat and the way it handles. And because I'm not into anime to play FF.

I have an acc from Vanilla and play every single xpac, 80% of it at least, I kid you not. I have a permanent subscription running in WoW. It's incredibly hard to stop playing something you've played since you were like 12 and move on to main another game.

Same goes for he FFXIV people. It has everything to do with time invested tbh.

Also, there is content. Blizzard's main product is WoW, their expansions are the biggest out of any other MMOs, they truly feel like "Expansions" rather than big patches, changing the game, adding a buttload of new stuff. They have the budget and team size to constantly dish out new stuff, regardless if it's good or bad. If it's trash (like BfA), ppl will still swallow it because it's WoW.

Same goes for FFXIV. Massive expansions, frequent big patches.

Why SWTOR is abandoned? I have no idea. IF EA poured those sweet, sweet $$$$ in in it, if they just DECIDE to invest in this game again after it's initial poor reception, I am 100% sure SWTOR can shine and compete with WoW and FF.

Polish the game, add new classes, refine the animations, work on the engine to make it better.

Pls do it.

Edited by MordaineAcea

Actually, the story isn't bad. But, it's one story per faction (there are 3) and one for everyone. The original 8 class stories here are probably the best in any MMO. The combat is a LOT different, so that can take some getting used to (took me 6 months to get out of SWTOR habits in it.) There is a huge amount of content and they keep adding more.

It was changed a while ago with Tamriel Unlimited. When you have completed your alliance storyline and the main quest line you can actually run the other factions. Each region has its story arc, this is a lot. And that's not mentioning the Warrior/Mage guild quest lines (in base game) plus all the neat DLCs: Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Orsinium, Clockwork City...

Also I personally find that quest lines and characters are really well written. Well it used to be, up until a couple of expansions ago. I quit shortly after the second part of Elsweyr (both parts just gave me that meh feeling), the fact that they were cutting content in half also left a sour taste, especially when you compare these to the amount of content that Summerset or Morrowind provided. I haven't experienced Greymoor but from what I heard it wasn't much better story wise.

Edited by demotivator

It's incredibly unadvertised except through EA's own outlets.

So I was checking up on family on FaceBook, the only thing I use it for, and there's an ad for swtor as I was scrolling through. It seems they're picking up some slack. Of course, with all the negative publicity SW in general is getting, it may be a bad time for that...

;(

Cheers, I appreciate the review as someone who's played this game and that one! I definitely think it's a good idea to start shopping around for another mmo, I've never been a doomer but not realistically sure how long this game has left in it.

So I was checking up on family on FaceBook, the only thing I use it for, and there's an ad for swtor as I was scrolling through. It seems they're picking up some slack. Of course, with all the negative publicity SW in general is getting, it may be a bad time for that...

It's still their own blogosphere for the Facebook ads, and it's only targeting us as players. It's not getting any messaging out beyond us. EA needs to run ads on gaming websites, get reviews written on gaming web sites, be visible in brick-and-mortar stores next to what's left in them to buy games, run ads in gaming magazines... there's all sorts of outlets EA could use, but not being their own, it's all about the $$$

It's still their own blogosphere for the Facebook ads, and it's only targeting us as players.

Was wondering that myself, I know the way the facebook algorithms work at the moment, is that the more they post, the more their pages pop up. One of the reasons why they seem to be putting up a lot of stuff in the last while.

It's still their own blogosphere for the Facebook ads, and it's only targeting us as players. It's not getting any messaging out beyond us. EA needs to run ads on gaming websites, get reviews written on gaming web sites, be visible in brick-and-mortar stores next to what's left in them to buy games, run ads in gaming magazines... there's all sorts of outlets EA could use, but not being their own, it's all about the $$$

I'm not sure. I just know I saw the ad. I don't follow them on FB, I don't think. I didn't think to ask anyone else if they were seeing it, since I'm the only one in my family that plays.

I agree it is underrated. I never bothered playing it when it came out because I am not even into starwars.

I just started playing it at the start of covid and I am amazed what a great game this is.

It must be boring after all those years, but for a new player this is a great game. So great that I even sub just to support the game. The stories are good, the worlds are well done and the graphics are great for its time.

NOPE !! (sorry wrong on that one !!)

Frankly: NOTHING is any worse than the DK or Coruscant chat !! :D

Bottom line:

The potential for this game is yet untapped !! I would also suggest that the game is at a cross road ! The next few months will reveal the truth. It will either bring excitement and applause for unveiling a new chapter in the story of SWTOR (in more ways than one) ... or it will see the final hope of the games future falter and weaken what is left !!

If you've read very many of my posts in the past you know that deep down in side many of us (like myself) are hoping for the best ! Some of us ( like myself ) find it a bit puzzling as to why some issues have not been resolved and some other choices ( that I will NOT go into ) have been made !!

Well ... we're starting to rehash this a bit ... sooo I'll just let the rest go !

BTW... thanks for the discussion ! Good to be able to speak openly (and civil) on such matters !! Refreshing !!

[/two thumbs up]

Love your enegy!

If SWTOR has any fault, it's that the people who made it put Player & NPC romance over Player variety, thus making it appear like what Star Wars would have looked like if Gene Roddenberry created it.

I'm not sure what you mean. Player variety is on us, as players. If someone's running around copying someone else's look, that's on them. If you mean class variety, there's plenty on offer. "The Meta" players will have a self imposed limit, but everyone else is surely welcome to play all the rest, and a lot of us do. As far as romance goes, it's a highly requested mode, I guess, in most RPGs. Including some really strange choices, like Khem Val, for example. These add variety to different playthroughs, such as DS vs LS Jaessa. Character driven narratives are what put BioWare on the map to begin with, so it's no surprise to find them here.

If SWTOR has any fault, it's that the people who made it put Player & NPC romance over Player variety, thus making it appear like what Star Wars would have looked like if Gene Roddenberry created it.

wow, that is a gem of a comment. I don't think I've seen something quite this blatant since the original Makeb SGR butthurt. Uh-huh the real problem with this game is there's too much emphasis on interracial relationships /s :rak_01:

Edited by Ardrossan

I love the charm of this game and how various parts of the game are just so quirky like the complete and utter unpredictability of mob difficulty during KOTFE. in each part of the games expansions you get to see just how drunk the devs were, character story, shadow of revans devs = serious professionals, KOTFE devs = party time and debauchery on a scale you only see on drumond kass

I'm not sure what you mean. Player variety is on us, as players. If someone's running around copying someone else's look, that's on them. If you mean class variety, there's plenty on offer. "The Meta" players will have a self imposed limit, but everyone else is surely welcome to play all the rest, and a lot of us do. As far as romance goes, it's a highly requested mode, I guess, in most RPGs. Including some really strange choices, like Khem Val, for example. These add variety to different playthroughs, such as DS vs LS Jaessa. Character driven narratives are what put BioWare on the map to begin with, so it's no surprise to find them here.

That may be, but i was referring to behind-the-scenes; to the (easy to miss) mistake of designing SWTOR around those species that are a little too much like you and me. The Smuggler for example: they kinda went from homage to stereotype when they added Bowdaar to the companion list.

That may be, but i was referring to behind-the-scenes; to the (easy to miss) mistake of designing SWTOR around those species that are a little too much like you and me. The Smuggler for example: they kinda went from homage to stereotype when they added Bowdaar to the companion list.

If I'd never played KotoR, and even despite having played it, it would still be an homage. Han and Chewie, smugglers. How do you pay homage to Han w/out paying homage to Chewie? I can't say that both references weren't intended, given BioWare developing KotoR as well. So I'm still not clear on what it is you're saying. If it's "but stereotypical smuggler", what other franchises have smugglers teamed up with wookiees?

If I'd never played KotoR, and even despite having played it, it would still be an homage. Han and Chewie, smugglers. How do you pay homage to Han w/out paying homage to Chewie? I can't say that both references weren't intended, given BioWare developing KotoR as well. So I'm still not clear on what it is you're saying. If it's "but stereotypical smuggler", what other franchises have smugglers teamed up with wookiees?

None. The issue is that, unlike the other classes in SWTOR, you're not being allowed to be your own character, instead you're being made to be a pre-existing character that won't actually be born for another 3000 years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.