Deserter Lockout in 6.1.4

ChrisSchmidt

I think PvP dies, because i see more and more ppl and premades, who don't want to play for win, they want to do numbers.

This is happening way more often and I'll explain you why. It's NOT about numbers only

I used to be an objective player, I'd try hard to win no matter if I died 15 times I'd try to do the objective.

But 3-4 matches was enough to make me lose my mental health trying to chase Operatives rolling and de-syncing carrying the ball. I'd get super toxic towards that guy who got sap-capped in hypergates and Civil War.

I'd lose my mind when my team just wanted to deathmatch and I was typing in chat "HELP 2 SNOW", then no one helped and we lost the match.

Then 2 things happened for me to completely change:

1 - Playing deathmatch I have ZERO stress, literally I can play pvp for 10 hours without having a single stress, only when the map is huttball. Many, MANY people are like that. They rather just deathmatch and not care about objectives at all then try hard and fail.

2 - I thought "I'm gonna sit on this node for 15 minutes, great PLAYER VS PLAYER experience...". Nope, for me that's not pvp. So I won't guard a node if I'm not gonna actually fight someone, I don't care. I like team fights and team gameplay.

I love Voidstar because you can deathmatch while doing the objective. I HATE the other maps that you have to avoid pvp in order to win.

That's why you see less and less people doing objectives.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The minority ROFL. about 1.65 M out of the original 1.7 M already left the game. The game started with 100+ servers but than the minority left so only 5 remained. 5 because in Europe the 3 servers are separated by langue, and in the Us we have 2 for some reason ( I dunno why since both servers are on the East coast so my as well they can just merge them) Oh yeah the minority the rest adopted.

They only keep two servers to make money from server transfer.

They know a lot of people play on more than one server and often have to transfer stuff.

I see no other reason why they didn't merged SS and SF yet.

getting pissed off about having to wait just fifteen minutes says more about the player.

It implies that I have little tolerance for punitive actions leveled against me and others for things beyond our control. I am not sure passivity is to be lauded here.

The minority ROFL. about 1.65 M out of the original 1.7 M already left the game. The game started with 100+ servers but than the minority left so only 5 remained. 5 because in Europe the 3 servers are separated by langue, and in the Us we have 2 for some reason ( I dunno why since both servers are on the East coast so my as well they can just merge them) Oh yeah the minority the rest adopted.

The minority, being relevant to the current time frame and within context of this thread, would exist within the current subscriber/pvp player base.

Now that the obvious has been pointed out to you, you can strap on your overalls and go finish your chores for Ma and Pa before supper

I used to be an objective player, I'd try hard to win no matter if I died 15 times I'd try to do the objective.

I play PvP in this game for 7+ years, guess what? I am still objective player, and I never died 15 times in any match. All excuses of PvO players are just lame.

- They don't like when they call help to node they are guarding and no one comes? Then queue in group of players they trust they aren't lame.

- They don't like guarding nodes at all? Deal with it, sometimes you just have to. And they can play classes/roles that can avoid guarding nodes like 99% of games, e.g. marauders/healers; or even different game mode, where there is no guarding, you know like SR or TR which are btw the perfect game modes for all deathmatchers, except they don't like them either, because the level of play there is a different league and they don't like to get the floor wiped with their poor bodies. So it figures out they are neither good in deathmatching, nor in objective play, so they have to suck in regs.

Also queueing in group of trusted players can help with anti-node guarding mentality as well, I often queue with friends that preffer to guard as they either aren't self-confident in combat so they go our off-node or others that are very self-sufficient especially in 1vs1 or 1vsX situations (operatives are excellent choice for that) so they go to enemy off-node and when the time comes for me to guard, well I just do it, I don't have to do it often as I play mostly as healer anyway.

Edited by black_pyros

It implies that I have little tolerance for punitive actions leveled against me and others for things beyond our control. I am not sure passivity is to be lauded here.

If you can come up with a solution that fixes the issue of deserters / false disconeents and doesn't penalize those folks with a genuine disconnet, I'm ready to hear it.

It's also hardly passive to understand that sometimes things go wrong and one might need to wait a bit until they are better to continue.

They only keep two servers to make money from server transfer.

They know a lot of people play on more than one server and often have to transfer stuff.

I see no other reason why they didn't merged SS and SF yet.

My understanding is that there are contractual issues about the number of servers. For example, EA might have signed a long term hosting contract in order to get a more favorable rate. There's also the issue that a single server (cluster, really) might not be able to handle the entire US player base. Adequate performance and all that.

If you can come up with a solution that fixes the issue of deserters / false disconeents and doesn't penalize those folks with a genuine disconnet, I'm ready to hear it.

It's also hardly passive to understand that sometimes things go wrong and one might need to wait a bit until they are better to continue.

In something necessary this is a solid philosophy. But playing swtor is neither necessary nor without competition for attention.

So let me get this straight. I get a pop on my level 23 characters, and get a map I passionately dislike or is matched against the tryhard premaders on DM. So now I can not even leave this match and hop onto a different character?

Just log out and log back in on another toon or the same one. That's all.

Umm... ? You do understand that neither is possible?

I just did it, so it does work but there is plan B.

1. OK. Let's say You are in a WZ or Arena You hate or just wanna show to BW who's the boss.

2. Hit the windows key on your key board.

3. Right click on the SWTOR icon on your task bar, hit "close window".

... and voila you are free again.

Now in the future BW may prevents players to log back but as it today it works.

Edited by sauerkraut

I just did it, so it does work but there is plan B.

1. OK. Let's say You are in a WZ or Arena You hate or just wanna show to BW who's the boss.

2. Hit the windows key on your key board.

3. Right click on the SWTOR icon on your task bar, hit "close window".

... and voila you are free again.

Now in the future BW may prevent players to lock back but as it today it works.

Ah by "log out" you mean exit the game I take it. I will have to try that heh.

Edit: Nope, doesn't work.

Edited by Lundorff

Great Changes. Keep up the good work:)

Something I would like to see in the near future is Changes to the Match Making System. In Solo rank I tend to see the same composition than rather see a mix match. Yesterday I Play 5 matches and saw same composition from the opposing team.

I ask myself how is this possible went in solo there's supposed to be a mix match, but no, to my surprise same players, always same players. Unfortunately this has not been an isolated incident. It has been happening for as longest I can remember. Been playing this game since launch with the occasional few mouths break. But the match making system has always been well manipulated by other players.

How they do it is beyond me.

That is precisely what passivity is...acceptance without resistance.

That's like saying, to use an old example, getting a busy signal when you tried to call someone and doing something else productive while waiting to try again is passive. Equating other activity in the interim with no activity at all is a new one.

That's like saying, to use an old example, getting a busy signal when you tried to call someone and doing something else productive while waiting to try again is passive. Equating other activity in the interim with no activity at all is a new one.

Your examples are both passive.

...the player needs to accept they were taking a risk of doing group content given their connection issues. Instead of blaming Bioware maybe, just maybe not queue until their connection is better, since it is likely to crap out on them for all group activities.

...and so is the above.

Your response to the assertion is not.

Bioware and the vocal minority of players who requested this policy are responsible for it. Deserter debuff does not solve the problem of participation, it exacerbates it. This has all been argued before, so I willl not rehash it here.

Coupled with the win requirement, it is draconian.

Your examples are both passive.

Actively doing something else is, by definition, not passive. ^_^ It's a choice of where to put your effort. Do nothing and just whine some more about how 'unfair Bioware is being to one' or actively involve yourself in other parts of the game for fifteen minutes.

...and so is the above.

Your response to the assertion is not.

Bioware and the vocal minority of players who requested this policy are responsible for it. Deserter debuff does not solve the problem of participation, it exacerbates it. This has all been argued before, so I willl not rehash it here.

Coupled with the win requirement, it is draconian.

Time will tell. What we do know is that not having the deserter debuff and being able to fail your way to mission completions didn't boost player participation. Trying something new, something that rewards winning and sticking around is better than watching PvP stay on its downward spiral.

Actively doing something else is, by definition, not passive. ^_^ It's a choice of where to put your effort. Do nothing and just whine some more about how 'unfair Bioware is being to one' or actively involve yourself in other parts of the game for fifteen minutes.

You are confusing one definition of passive with another. In one sense passive does mean inactive, idle, not doing anything active. In another sense passive also means to not react to an outside stimuli, or to be subject to an outside agency without trying to change that agency. In one of your earlier statements you said:

the player needs to accept they were taking a risk of doing group content given their connection issues.

That is passivity in the second sense.

That is passivity in the second sense.

While I could continue down the rathole of you folk's idiosyncratic definitions of passive, I'm more interested in seeing if anyone has a better solution to the problem of people deserting matches without any consequence and failing their way to daily/weekly mission completions. (If you want to see passivity, go back to failing to complete. ;))

While there may be changes to the daily/weekly missions, I don't see the deserter debuff going away, ever. Still, if you have a solution that solves all the problems don't be shy about presenting it.

While I could continue down the rathole of you folk's idiosyncratic definitions of passive...

Uh huh...

I'm more interested in seeing if anyone has a better solution to the problem of people deserting matches without any consequence and failing their way to daily/weekly mission completions.

And what will that do? We're not interested in your individual approval of our suggestions. The suggestion needs mass appeal, or at the very least, it needs to resonate with Bioware developers. They're the only people whose opinions are of concern on this topic.

You do have a point though:

Trying something new, something that rewards winning and sticking around is better than watching PvP stay on its downward spiral.

However, if it only serves to drive people away from PvP, it needs to be reverted.

Now, I am not a computer coder. I know nothing about that...but I do know that you can code a cursor selection to trigger a response from a program. When players hit "exit warzone" while the warzone is still active, it should be the ONLY time a deserter debuff is applied. It's not rocket science.

Edited by Sappharan

Honestly I would settle for a temporary solution until the devs decide what they want to do with warzone filters.

Like we could get something similar to how tacticals and utilities are treated in that they can be changed during the countdown for when the warzones starts, except in this case you'd be allowed to leave the warzone during this time frame without getting the leave penalty.

Add a new selection to leaving the warzone- Emergency Extraction.

Someone wants to leave the regs warzone they queued for and accepted the pop for without a lockout? Let them.. for a significant fee of credits or vouchers bought with cc (scaling for leaving multiple warzones in a period of time).

You can leave for free and eat the requeue timer- or pay and requeue right away. Options.

The suggestion needs mass appeal, or at the very least, it needs to resonate with Bioware developers. They're the only people whose opinions are of concern on this topic.

So what is your suggestion for the Devs?

It's a long, long known situation that people will Alt-F4 to quit a match to avoid a penalty. That's why the debuff is for loss of connection. There's no known way of determining a legit connection issue from someone's deliberate disconnection. Tying the debuff to just the exit button is something that is basically debunked as being useful. (Using red, by the way, isn't a good idea for accessibility reasons -- something Bioware does pay attention to -- because of red/green color blindness. Which is the most common situation in males. ^_^)

So what is your suggestion for the Devs?

It's a long, long known situation that people will Alt-F4 to quit a match to avoid a penalty. That's why the debuff is for loss of connection. There's no known way of determining a legit connection issue from someone's deliberate disconnection. Tying the debuff to just the exit button is something that is basically debunked as being useful. (Using red, by the way, isn't a good idea for accessibility reasons -- something Bioware does pay attention to -- because of red/green color blindness. Which is the most common situation in males. ^_^)

You kill solo ranked and make people form groups for ranked play, because its literally the only format it causes a problem in, and is the format that leads to the most toxic behavior in the playerbase.