Deserter Lockout in 6.1.4

ChrisSchmidt

….So instead of quitting a match that your team are obviously not going to win, you mess around for the duration, in order not to be locked out of the next one. I see this happening a lot recently.

I also see people quitting a map they don't like or enjoy. I rarely see them back in the queue afterward. -even after the timer would have expired. - Probably given up for the session.

It'd be a lot better to increase the player numbers in PVP and make matchmaking throw up a lot more even matches, and let people select what maps or type of maps they want. - Both of which the studio have failed to do for many years now.

If I get locked out for any reason, and it does happen from time to time, especially if its maps I'm not keen on, I'll normally take this as a prompt to go to another game or finish early for the night. - It's a great way of keeping my SWTOR interest at a minimum.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight. I get a pop on my level 23 characters, and get a map I passionately dislike or is matched against the tryhard premaders on DM. So now I can not even leave this match and hop onto a different character?

Yeah, its the same design philosophy that had them kill 8v8 ranked before an actual ranked season ever opened up under the guise that no one was doing 8v8 ranked (because there were no rewards, or tracking, or anything other than a different queue). The whole philosophy behind how to address issues in their pvp team is just borked.

I like changes like lockout for account, BUT I think the first step must be creating choice for PvP people, play 4 or 8, play Huttballs, Point Captures or others. I'm not wanna play huttballs with no balance with rolls and desync. I think PvP dies, because i see more and more ppl and premades, who don't want to play for win, they want to do numbers. And when you playing against this premades almost time you playing at respawn, who might be interested in this? nobody. And with penalties i must suffer at match. With these perspectives less and less desire to play regular WZs. Give us a choice and think about the problem I described above Edited by Moralist

Killing the rest of pvp because you cant acknowledge your ranked format is ***** 2020

It's one thing to queue for a flashpoint with 3 other friends who don't mind if you need to step away for a few minutes in the middle of things. It's another to do so unexpectedly with up to 7 or 15 other random players trying to do group content on a timer.

None of the things listed will kill PvP. What they will do is put a consequence on disruptive players, which has been needed for a long time now.

Hi friends,

I wanted to take a minute to talk about the Deserter changes coming in Game Update 6.1.4. As part of our efforts to reduce toxicity, it’s important to understand how game rules themselves can contribute to the problem. I previously talked about how behaviors like declining multiple matches in a row or leaving matches could be used to intentionally degrade the quality of PvP matches, particularly in Ranked modes, and how we planned on addressing the problem.

Unranked:

In Unranked matches, the 15-minute Deserter lockout will still apply for leaving a match. In addition, the 5-minute lockout penalty for being vote kicked will still apply.

Ranked:

In Ranked modes (both solo and group) there are a few changes. First, as previously discussed, vote kick has been removed in these modes. Next, the Deserter lockout timer has been increased to 20 minutes for declining a match or leaving early - the first time. Over time, if a player continues to decline or leave matches that lockout timer will increase until they hit the maximum threshold. If a player hits the max once, all declines or leaves for the rest of the week in ranked modes will use the maximum lockout timer.

An important change here to note is the lockout timer prevents queueing for ALL PvP activity: Unranked, Solo Ranked, Group Ranked, and Galactic Starfighter. In addition, all Deserter lockouts will be account-based.

Some of the philosophy behind this change is to still allow a smaller penalty for one-off accidents, such as missing a queue due to a bad internet connection or stepping away for a few minutes. Where the penalty increases is when we can begin to assume the likelihood of an attempt to manipulate the queue or gain an advantage in Ranked matches is greater than the likelihood of missing several queue pops on accident in a row. This is based on data and observation of past player behavior, so these changes to the game rules are an attempt to change that behavior, and ultimately provide a more fun and safe place to play.

As always, we will measure the results of this change and adjust as needed if we see any opportunities for improvement.

Thanks!

-Chris

:csw_jabbapet:

Sorry but the stability isn't allowing to provide such changes. Players are often kicked to server list during the match not because of their lsp but because of your cheap, weak and broken servers. 20 min lockout due to problems from your side is enough to delete swtor from PC and switch to shadowlands

It's one thing to queue for a flashpoint with 3 other friends who don't mind if you need to step away for a few minutes in the middle of things. It's another to do so unexpectedly with up to 7 or 15 other random players trying to do group content on a timer.

None of the things listed will kill PvP. What they will do is put a consequence on disruptive players, which has been needed for a long time now.

No its what they HOPE will happen. 4v4 ranked was supposed to save group ranked. Then it didnt so they emphasized solo ranked. After being here since launch, as far as "effect on the playerbase" there is a lot more throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks than there is thoughtful changes.

They HOPE the changes will make it better, what MIGHT happen is people get distracted, miss a queue and just don't bother queueing again for the rest of the day. Or they have spotty internet, or a vindictive sibling and get the long term lockout because comcast sucks, say **** it and go do something else.

They're making changes for hardcore players, in a game that doesn't have very many hardcore players.

Subscription ended.

I will return when/if we ever get map selection as the minimum.

As someone who has played PvP in an MMO that had map selection (it was eventually removed), it isn't the pancea you might think it is. I suspect whenever map selection goes live folks will start complaining about queue times.

No its what they HOPE will happen. 4v4 ranked was supposed to save group ranked. Then it didnt so they emphasized solo ranked. After being here since launch, as far as "effect on the playerbase" there is a lot more throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks than there is thoughtful changes.

They HOPE the changes will make it better, what MIGHT happen is people get distracted, miss a queue and just don't bother queueing again for the rest of the day. Or they have spotty internet, or a vindictive sibling and get the long term lockout because comcast sucks, say **** it and go do something else.

They're making changes for hardcore players, in a game that doesn't have very many hardcore players.

I, too, am a Founder and have played since day 2 of the early release. Every time I've heard people talk about "thoughtful changes" it has generally meant "changes that only benefit me". Change is a process. It takes time to move a community in a certain direction.

As far as spotty internet goes, it's neither Bioware's or the player's fault when things go wrong. That said, the player needs to accept they were taking a risk of doing group content given their connection issues. Instead of blaming Bioware maybe, just maybe not queue until their connection is better, since it is likely to crap out on them for all group activities.

If they have "vindictive sibling", then that's their issue to solve. The sibling is to blame, no one else.

As someone who has played PvP in an MMO that had map selection (it was eventually removed), it isn't the pancea you might think it is. I suspect whenever map selection goes live folks will start complaining about queue times.

Of course it is, we already have fully functional flash point selection. And yes warzone will be longer in comparison, but it is small price to pay, for having 4 or 8 players that actually want to play the map.

But it is clearly not going to happen. And from my perspective things have only, constantly, been getting worse over the years, so I will take these changes as a clue to leave.

An important change here to note is the lockout timer prevents queueing for ALL PvP activity: Unranked, Solo Ranked, Group Ranked, and Galactic Starfighter. In addition, all Deserter lockouts will be account-based.

Many have pointed it out, but you don't give a f*ck: incremental lockout is a long overdue must for SR, but totally uncalled for regs, especially without map select and lack on incentive to play objectives. Now, when I see Ancinet Hypergate pop, I quit the game for the night. But then again, why do I even log in and pay you for forcing me into sg I don't want to play? Wait, I don't have to. And no, you can not have my stuff.

Hi friends,

I wanted to take a minute to talk about the Deserter changes coming in Game Update 6.1.4. As part of our efforts to reduce toxicity, it’s important to understand how game rules themselves can contribute to the problem. I previously talked about how behaviors like declining multiple matches in a row or leaving matches could be used to intentionally degrade the quality of PvP matches, particularly in Ranked modes, and how we planned on addressing the problem.

Unranked:

In Unranked matches, the 15-minute Deserter lockout will still apply for leaving a match. In addition, the 5-minute lockout penalty for being vote kicked will still apply.

Ranked:

In Ranked modes (both solo and group) there are a few changes. First, as previously discussed, vote kick has been removed in these modes. Next, the Deserter lockout timer has been increased to 20 minutes for declining a match or leaving early - the first time. Over time, if a player continues to decline or leave matches that lockout timer will increase until they hit the maximum threshold. If a player hits the max once, all declines or leaves for the rest of the week in ranked modes will use the maximum lockout timer.

Some of the philosophy behind this change is to still allow a smaller penalty for one-off accidents, such as missing a queue due to a bad internet connection or stepping away for a few minutes. Where the penalty increases is when we can begin to assume the likelihood of an attempt to manipulate the queue or gain an advantage in Ranked matches is greater than the likelihood of missing several queue pops on accident in a row. This is based on data and observation of past player behavior, so these changes to the game rules are an attempt to change that behavior, and ultimately provide a more fun and safe place to play.

As always, we will measure the results of this change and adjust as needed if we see any opportunities for improvement.

Thanks!

-Chris

:csw_jabbapet:

This is why only a few thousand player remained from the original 1.7 M. Only they can stomach this Gulag mentality.

I, too, am a Founder and have played since day 2 of the early release. Every time I've heard people talk about "thoughtful changes" it has generally meant "changes that only benefit me". Change is a process. It takes time to move a community in a certain direction.

As far as spotty internet goes, it's neither Bioware's or the player's fault when things go wrong. That said, the player needs to accept they were taking a risk of doing group content given their connection issues. Instead of blaming Bioware maybe, just maybe not queue until their connection is better, since it is likely to crap out on them for all group activities.

If they have "vindictive sibling", then that's their issue to solve. The sibling is to blame, no one else.

That reads an awful lot like, "...as long as it's happening to you...oh well."

It is Bioware's fault for instituting an unpopular policy that punishes players for things beyond their control. The quest win requirement I don't like, but I can deal with that. The deserter debuff pisses me off.

This is what i think as well. When the population for certain maps that people select isn't high enough, then people are going to sit forever waiting for a WZ pop, they might get 2-3 pops in a 5 hour period and if the WZ's dont go the way they want, then they will blame X,Y or Z. There is no pleasing everyone.

The minority that don't like it will fall off and the rest will adapt and overcome.

That reads an awful lot like, "...as long as it's happening to you...oh well."

It is Bioware's fault for instituting an unpopular policy that punishes players for things beyond their control. The quest win requirement I don't like, but I can deal with that. The deserter debuff pisses me off.

I've had unexpected disconnects, power outages, etc. It happens, but I don't blame Bioware when something out of my or their control occurs. When I get back in I just play other parts of the game until the debuff wears off. Unfortunately the behavior of a sizable group has caused problems for everyone, but getting pissed off about having to wait just fifteen minutes says more about the player. If my connection is an issue, I choose not to be a liability to others in group content. I just go enjoy the other, solo content in the game.

These changes to reg wz's is typical Bioware par for the course buffoonery.

ACCOUNT WIDE lockout if you DC in the middle of a match. Nice. Let's go farm scav nodes on the opening mobs in Hammer Station, boiz.

Also harsher punishment for the general population due to the behavior of the terminally unemployed who "manipulate" the ranked queue.

Newsflash: the people who know how game the system will continue to do so and find new ways of doing it no matter what you implement. Figured this would be common knowledge to the people who are able to analyze all the precious data.

Still no sign of a flashpoint style warzone selection system, which would be the #1 solution in reducing deserters since people would actually, y'know, be able to play what and how they want. Seriously cannot wrap by brain around why this has not been done yet. Apparently there's all the time in the world to patch in BS lockouts for garbage matches and DC's.

Leave regs alone, let people choose the warzones they want. Let the eternal dumpster fire of solo ranked be your guinea pig for these trash "updates."

I wouldn't doubt if at some point we start seeing Deserter Lockout debuff removal tokens being sold on the Cartel Market to help make up for the continuing loss of the player and subscriber base after SS and SF merge.

These changes to reg wz's is typical Bioware par for the course buffoonery.

ACCOUNT WIDE lockout if you DC in the middle of a match. Nice. Let's go farm scav nodes on the opening mobs in Hammer Station, boiz.

Also harsher punishment for the general population due to the behavior of the terminally unemployed who "manipulate" the ranked queue.

Newsflash: the people who know how game the system will continue to do so and find new ways of doing it no matter what you implement. Figured this would be common knowledge to the people who are able to analyze all the precious data.

Still no sign of a flashpoint style warzone selection system, which would be the #1 solution in reducing deserters since people would actually, y'know, be able to play what and how they want. Seriously cannot wrap by brain around why this has not been done yet. Apparently there's all the time in the world to patch in BS lockouts for garbage matches and DC's.

Leave regs alone, let people choose the warzones they want. Let the eternal dumpster fire of solo ranked be your guinea pig for these trash "updates."

I wouldn't doubt if at some point we start seeing Deserter Lockout debuff removal tokens being sold on the Cartel Market to help make up for the continuing loss of the player and subscriber base after SS and SF merge.

Wholeheartedly i agree... add to this whole mess, that now due to the meddled with system, only Voidstar (the new Huttball in terms of popping probabilty) Hypergates, HB, 4v4 or Alderaan will pop... came back 3 weeks ago, after a 3 month hiatus... i hadn t have one single Novare Coast, Odessen (my all-time favoritee BG, yah i m weird like that) or Yavin match since, only an endless pop of consecutive Voidstar matches...

it s a damn farce at this point, really... also it locks you out of ANY PvP activity including GSF... that whole system was BS from the get go... i wonder what could possibly have made the dev s think, that this was a good design decision / implementation

This is what i think as well. When the population for certain maps that people select isn't high enough, then people are going to sit forever waiting for a WZ pop, they might get 2-3 pops in a 5 hour period and if the WZ's dont go the way they want, then they will blame X,Y or Z. There is no pleasing everyone.

The minority that don't like it will fall off and the rest will adapt and overcome.

The minority ROFL. about 1.65 M out of the original 1.7 M already left the game. The game started with 100+ servers but than the minority left so only 5 remained. 5 because in Europe the 3 servers are separated by langue, and in the Us we have 2 for some reason ( I dunno why since both servers are on the East coast so my as well they can just merge them) Oh yeah the minority the rest adopted.

In an ocean of stupidity, this deserter lockout certainly ranks in the top 5.

1) Queue lowbies

2) Get arena against known tryhard premaders

3) Leave because surprisingly I don't feel like stroking their ego once again

4) Can't play a different character

5) ???

6) Exit game

Yes I could wait out the 15 minutes, and I do often enough, but what kind of game is that? Being subscribed to game and not play? How is that fun? The only sane solution is not to play.

A reasonable conclusion would be that BW wants to discontinue all PvP, and only focus on PvE and cosmetic stuff. It might even make sense from a business perspective.