The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

There is no situation where gear with lets say equal stats, if you magically get one of these mods to drop, is equal to gear with a set bonus, it is literally impossible. Anything is better than nothing.

And where was it promised that Orange gear would exactly replicate any and every piece of normal gear? As long as it is competitive I am satisfied. I will be likely be wearing modded gear.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's NOT immersion breaking to have your character change his shirt so his blaster shoots harder?

how did you miss the part i said AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ?

it is totally bullcrap for some advanced technological crafting schematic or an exquisite and rare power armor to drop off of a giant centipede's butt in tatooine deserts too. but for now, we are putting up with it until something better is found as a mechanic.

for stuff that already has a better mechanic (like this mod system), it is utterly idiotic to go back to stuff like appearance tabs which basically say 'hey lets break your immersion by dodging the entire physical gear illusion we created by making you able to change your look from an interface'.

TLDR; Rethink the definition of Immersion, and how you're using it.

rethink your own position of ignoring/replying to me. dont contradict yourself by saying that someone's posts are useless and you are ignoring them and then keeping to discuss with them.

There is no situation where gear with lets say equal stats, if you magically get one of these mods to drop, is equal to gear with a set bonus, it is literally impossible. Anything is better than nothing.

If you want to be taken seriously don't start making unfounded implications like you ate with equivalent mod drops. There id nothing "magical" about them being in the game.

Second, is your concern that you must have that set bonus? Unless it unlocks new abilities with stuns and burst damage you wouldn't notice s change in your playing even if you had it. The bonuses are very marginal. When you do 3000 damage will being able to do 30 more make or break your character where this choice has to be made.

No.

But it doesn't fail! With the possible exception of Set Bonuses.

They have locked ONE out of three mods on Tier Pieces and have stated that equivalent mods WILL drop. Orange Gear will function PERFECTLY FINE at 50.

The only possible thing you might not get is a 4 piece set bonus, and frankly, who cares? Most Set bonuses are pretty crappy in most games and LOTS of people don't bother with them.

In that case, I've been pleasantly misinformed, but I still think all gear should be orange. I also still think an appearance tab (even if called modification and completed as a credit sink at modification tables) would be preferable as it's simpler. The added complexity in TOR, so far as I see it, serves no purpose other than to add hassle to players, punishing them for wanting to customize.

I also feel that, no matter how slight, forcing customizers to forgo set bonuses is completely lame. Again: nothing but a punishment for not wearing their ugly endgame gear. In my past experience set bonuses were quite coveted and the oils fundamentally alter tactics/rotations/skill priorities. So you'll forgive me if I don't view them as a pittance.

how did you miss the part i said AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ?

it is totally bullcrap for some advanced technological crafting schematic or an exquisite and rare power armor to drop off of a giant centipede's butt in tatooine deserts too. but for now, we are putting up with it until something better is found as a mechanic.

for stuff that already has a better mechanic (like this mod system), it is utterly idiotic to go back to stuff like appearance tabs which basically say 'hey lets break your immersion by dodging the entire physical gear illusion we created by making you able to change your look from an interface'.

rethink your own position of ignoring/replying to me. dont contradict yourself by saying that someone's posts are useless and you are ignoring them and then keeping to discuss with them.

There's nothing about certain pieces of armor that you continue to tear apart and put new things into, just because it's orange that marks realism, or immersion. What exactly are you putting in that consular robe that's making it give you more "wisdom"? Give it a rest.

Magic stat changing robes and shirts obviously make sense. Haven't you seen them at (insert local clothes store here)?

Again, as I posted above, you are confusing "immersion." You are talking about the movie playing in your head which uses whatever logical continuity appeals to you. The other guy is talking about the immersion of SWTOR, where the "rules" of the game are immediate, obvious, and consistent.

There is no "story" reason a Trooper cannot pick up and ignite a Lightsaber, even if he can't effectively fight with it. Two types of immersion.

If you want to be taken seriously don't start making unfounded implications like you ate with equivalent mod drops. There id nothing "magical" about them being in the game.

Second, is your concern that you must have that set bonus? Unless it unlocks new abilities with stuns and burst damage you wouldn't notice s change in your playing even if you had it. The bonuses are very marginal. When you do 3000 damage will being able to do 30 more make or break your character where this choice has to be made.

No.

I dont care about useless dps'ers. Which I'm assuming you refer to, I play a tank, and a trooper at that. Hideous set. It is in the raids best interest for the tank to be as geared to the situation as possible, moving into harder modes, your group won't understand you wanting to look pretty and sacrificing their chances at beating harder bosses. so no. I'm not gonna sacrifice my 136 level chest for a 126, and I said magically because i'm yet to see them, sure they might exist, but too rare to care! Not to mention you not only need to get the mod, but also a piece of armor to rib the extra mods out of also.

Again, as I posted above, you are confusing "immersion." You are talking about the movie playing in your head which uses whatever logical continuity appeals to you. The other guy is talking about the immersion of SWTOR, where the "rules" of the game are immediate, obvious, and consistent.

There is no "story" reason a Trooper cannot pick up and ignite a Lightsaber, even if he can't effectively fight with it. Two types of immersion.

Well you're talking about a very specific and rediculous form of immersion. Also a very selfish one. When we talk of an a-tab or better mod system, you can choose to or not to use it, he in fact wants everyone to be as he wants them, idiotic looking clones.

There's nothing about certain pieces of armor that you continue to tear apart and put new things into, just because it's orange that marks realism, or immersion. What exactly are you putting in that consular robe that's making it give you more "wisdom"? Give it a rest.

you are now arguing that the mmorpg mechanics do not make sense. that is a different topic and a discussion. it does not make sense, but currently it is the best mechanic available to create an immersion.

stay on the given set of circumstances.

you are now arguing that the mmorpg mechanics do not make sense. that is a different topic and a discussion. it does not make sense, but currently it is the best mechanic available to create an immersion.

stay on the given set of circumstances.

What circumstances? You want to be immersed in the parts of the game that aren't supposed to be immersive, your logic is awful and selfish. Because you want everyone to look some way means nothing. If they add an a-tab, by your logic, it has to make sense since it's in the game right? Give me a break.

Difference between moddable orange gear and raid/pvp gear at 50 comes down to this...better over all stats and SET bonuses. So if you want to perform at peak levels; you will have to use the set items and subsequently you will end up looking like everyone else of your 'class'.

An appearance tab would solve this entire problem and allow players to look more or less how they want. That or allow you to transfer set bonuses/mods to orange pieces once purchased. Either will work.

Edited by fixit

Difference between moddable orange gear and raid/pvp gear at 50 comes down to this...better over all stats and SET bonuses. So if you want to perform at peak levels; you will have to use the set items and subsequently you will end up looking like everyone else of your 'class'.

An appearance tab would solve this entire problem and allow players to look more or less how they want. That or allow you to transfer set bonuses/mods to orange pieces once purchased. Either will work.

I agree to a point. That would be one solution.

Another might be to use these two ideas ... perhaps with a little different twist at the end.

In my opinion BioWare could/should have gone the route of not having any green-blue-purple gear/weapons at all.

If every item had been fully moddable Orange from the start, everyone could mix and match to their heart's content from beginning to end and nobody would be forced to look like a clone at endgame. Nor would there be a need for an appearance tab either. Everyone could look the way they want to look and retain that appearance throughout the game.

Synthweavers, Armormechs and Armstechs would then have a gigantic array of sets and weapons they could craft and everyone could find a set (or separate pieces from different sets) and weapons they would love. Thousands of armor pieces and a ton of weapon designs, and none would go to waste as everyone could keep using/upgrading/changing them for themselves and their companions according to their personal preference.

Then the green-blue-purple would only apply to the mods as these basically dictate the effectiveness of the item; allowing Cybertechs, Artificers, Armstechs to work their magic.

Heck, then you could even have Legendary mods dropping in Operations that would give bonuses when applied. And no doubt something similar could be done for PvP mods. So instead of the ages-old 'gear progression', you would have 'mod progression' (although gear and weapons could still drop in FPs&OPs; adding to the diversity even more).

At least that's my take on the matter. Now they hashed 2 different systems together when they should have opted for an either-or approach. The current setup just causes confusion and dissension among the playerbase.

My vote would have gone to all items being fully customizable with the mods dictating the effectiveness regarding the quality-level of the mods.

This is exactly what myself and many others proposed during beta to no avail. It seems to me that BioWare is dead set on killing their own game by releasing it in a terribly buggy state and limiting player options wherever possible.

ADD THIS

IF ... it were necessary to keep the system as it is for all gear including Orange ... perhaps another "color": Moddable could be used: fewer drops (more expensive) and yet could be used just as proposed. It might be that they are not even available until level ... what ... 40 maybe?

IN short this would add more content (tyring to score the good stuff ) as well as not destroying what is already there ?

Just a thought !

I dont care about useless dps'ers. Which I'm assuming you refer to, I play a tank, and a trooper at that. Hideous set. It is in the raids best interest for the tank to be as geared to the situation as possible, moving into harder modes, your group won't understand you wanting to look pretty and sacrificing their chances at beating harder bosses. so no. I'm not gonna sacrifice my 136 level chest for a 126, and I said magically because i'm yet to see them, sure they might exist, but too rare to care! Not to mention you not only need to get the mod, but also a piece of armor to rib the extra mods out of also.

I'm referring to tanking as well. Swap the orange fear for purples and look at the change in damage mitigation. Im pretty positive you'll see some nice +10 aim/end/shield stats...but look at the Defensive tab and the % will be very slight.

gone are the days where a tier upgrade or set bonus gave 5-10% increase to damage mitigation or dos. This isn't WoW vanilla or even Burning Crusade...16 man hard nodes were beaten already....didnt require tons of upgrades for Ops members. That shows you that you don't need the gear since the upgrades are marginal.

You can get your full 4 piece set bonus by displaying only boots, gloves and pants and having your headgear hidden. That means you can absolutely rock an orange chest piece with the best posiible mods tuned to exactly what you need for your build. Likely, that will be as good for your build as what ever the one from the set had. If their is a drop off between your custom statted pieces and your "off-the-rack" purples, it won't amount to much. Especially if they fix and add back colormatching, that means you can radically change the most dominant elements of your look plus the smaller secondary pieces like belts and bracers. No clone effect necessary.

Be "disappointed" all you want, but Bioware came straight out and SAID this prior to the game's launch. They mentioned that this was a big thing with their modding system because people where basically taking 2-3 pieces of gear in raid just to de-mod the gear and place those in other items, essentially ruining the point of the gear that dropped itself, ruining the artists' work, as well as making an issue with groups of people needing on gear they didn't need just for the mods.

Lol, this made me laugh; ruining the artists work. How about the artist that came up with the cool Orange looking gear that everyone wants.

The issue is that players were able to get the best gear using an easier route than the devs intended. I doubt they could care less about what we look like while we are raiding; they just wanted players to actually make the effort into slaying the last boss in order to benefit from the chest piece that drops.

A simple solution is for BioWare to actually allow the schematics to drop from a raid and allow the player crafters to make the level 58 armoring/mods/enhancements etc. Since I would imagine that these modification items would also need raid mats (dropped from the end boss) it would mean that people would still need to raid all the way through, not just stopping at the earlier easier bosses.

Which is extremely odd, given that the suggestion made here is so sensible.

Just make raid-quality mods BoP and slot-specific. So you can yank the boot mods from a piece of raid gear, but then it only goes into boots.

Is there some flaw to this system that I am missing? On the face of it, it appears a simple and elegant solution.

Yes because then you have to code almost all the other universal mods to be item specific. It would be a better system, but it would also be way more tedious. Right now they have a system that allows players to make 1 armoring/mod/enhancement item as a universal item; if they change as you and others have suggested then they have to code not just 1 enhancement for 1 type, but 8 enhancements for each type: 1 for the helm, 1 for the chest, 1 for the boots, 1 for the legs, 1 for the waist, 1 for the hands, 1 for the wrists, 1 for the weapon.

It is a lot more work to have to code all of that and set it up correctly. No they should just allow the schematics to drop more frequently and allow crafters to make the top end raid modifications using end raid boss drop mats.

It's funny, I actually imagine Khem Val sitting at a computer typing these responses.

Anyone else think the whole "if we let you un-socket mods from raid gear, people wouldn't continue to raid" is some serious bs?

Gear is only a VERY small part of raiding for me. Sure, it's major when gearing up at the start...but after that, 99% of the fun is in working as a team/shooting the ****/downing big bosses/etc.

I'm not going to just magically stop raiding once I get phat loot I can use on my orange gear. That's a silly idea Bioware.

As others have said, it's an easy thing to remedy if Bioware is worried about people continuing to raid and use "raid" gear: just give set bonuses to mods used with certain gear dropped from raids. That way, if you like the look of X, but want your mods from raid gear, you can pull it out, but you'll loose the extra bonus. Socket it back, and you gain the bonus. Keep raiding for more gear to do this with = win/win.

Edited by LeSamourai

No one even said they were quitting, you were nerdraging this whole thread because people want a new system. You've debated nothing useful or pertaining to the op. Some people aren't satisfied with the new system, you are, get over it.

Actually, I quit a few days ago. I can't stand the current choices.

Look like a complete tool and wear the best gear...

or look the way I want and spend more time, money, and effort to have sub par set of gear.

I quit World of Warcraft for the same reason. Had they gotten off their butts 3 years earlier and developed a proper appearance tab, they could have had an extra 3 years of subscription from me.

I'm so glad people are finally seeing this problem..

It is total garbage! Why have orange items at all if they're worthless end game?

When I started this game I looted a very nice chest piece for my Scoundrel and have spent thousands of credits keeping it upgraded.

Now at 50 I can't use it and I have to look like everyone else.

Great.

BW please fix this.

Also: Am I wrong or does level 5 orange gear have less armor than a level 45 orange item with the same armor mod? If so this is also unacceptable.

A lot of us pointed this problem out at the end of beta when they rolled this system out. We understood the limitations before the game went live. I'm not sure how the developers completely missed it.

I just checked on Torhead.com and the difference between level 23 purple armoring (obtainable by anyone for 8 commendations) and 25 purple armoring (the highest grade armoring from raid gear and only part that isn't removable) is ~12 END and ~11 primary stat along with some armor rating.

Over 7 pieces of gear this is noticeable, but if you can manage to mix/match gear to make it look good you can probably get away with sacrificing only ~30-40 END and primary stats. Not too big of a deal considering those are going to be 1100+ anyway at this time in game.

Hell even at all 7 pieces those stats it equate out to like 840 HP, 15.4 bonus damage, and 1-2% crit rating.

My point? Unless you're tanking don't even worry about it. It's a 1% increase in stats with everything else modded out at max level.

This quote is the best in this thread, and I'm not surprised I had to go 10 pages from the last post to see it since people crying about the loot drops always ignore sensible responses which shoot down their argument.

TLDR Orange gear allows you options so you can even compensate for set bonuses for Ops epics. In addition, a 1.0% difference to health/dps/heals/def due to you not wanting to go do Ops at all WILL NOT gimp you in the slightest compared to those who do. You're being silly and irrational if you think otherwise.

/end thread

You completely forgot about set bonuses which directly effect skill damage and cooldowns, maximum power as well procs and PvP bonuses... which can not be found on orange mod gear. Only a 1.0% difference, are you kidding me?

Edited by illgot

Anyone else think the whole "if we let you un-socket mods from raid gear, people wouldn't continue to raid" is some serious bs?

Gear is only a VERY small part of raiding for me. Sure, it's major when gearing up at the start...but after that, 99% of the fun is in working as a team/shooting the ****/downing big bosses/etc.

I'm not going to just magically stop raiding once I get phat loot I can use on my orange gear. That's a silly idea Bioware.

As others have said, it's an easy thing to remedy if Bioware is worried about people continuing to raid and use "raid" gear: just give set bonuses to mods used with certain gear dropped from raids. That way, if you like the look of X, but want your mods from raid gear, you can pull it out, but you'll loose the extra bonus. Socket it back, and you gain the bonus. Keep raiding for more gear to do this with = win/win.

I completely agree with you. So much. I don't do the end-game content in WoW JUST for loot. I mean my gosh... I did it with my guild because it was fun to experience the content together and progress together. We only looked forward to loot because it would enable us to delve further into the end-game content, and future content as well.

I mean Bioware/EA pretty much marketed this game on "hey look! dialogue options and cool gear that you can mix and match to suit your taste!" and then suddenly we hit end-game and it's "oh look, haha! you have to wear tier gear to be optimal!"

I mean in their progression videos I was under the assumption that we would have a lot of choice over our armor. They showed a shadow consular wearing pants instead of a skirt and I thought that was really cool... but now I have to hit the end-game wearing a skirt because I have no other options to be optimal?

Severely disappointed, and this system needs to be changed soon. This game was presented to us as a place where we would have the freedom to explore the game as we please and look the way we want without compromising the quality of our toons' performance... I'll keep playing I guess but if things don't change... it just won't be as fun as I thought it would be. I mean let's face it, we'll spend a lot of time staring at our toons in the center of the screen.. we should like what we're looking at, right?

Edited by Istelle