How do you gear

Ottoattack

I am a returning player and confused how the gearing at level 75 works.

I can see shells sell at the vendors in the fleet for tech currency. Are we now bound to the shells again? That was removed in 1.02 or 1.03 for a very good reason.

Where do you buy the actual gear though? I did not see anything selling from vendors on the fleet. Previously, at max level:

Gear dropped from ops.

Currency from PvP, FP and ops. The currency is then used to buy gear.

There was a system where you gained a levels and sometimes you got gear through, in 5.0.

The confusing part, is I do not see any vendor selling any gear.

The way I did it is, I leveled up 9 alts to 75. Kept one complete set to transfer between them all plus weapons and offhands for each. Put a legacy bank in the Coruscant apartment and the Dromund Kaas apartment. Then started doing Onderon dailies every day on all 9, transferring the gear via the legacy bank. Eventually I had a full 306 set and started putting 306 gear on all of the alts.

Thanks! This is.... the most stupid s*** I have ever seen. It makes no f***ing sense. And I though the gearing was terrible in 5.0. This is on a whole new level.

This is actually the fastest and most alt friendly gear progression we got since release, considering all the gear is legacy bound and can be traded with all of your chars in your legacy.

This is actually the fastest and most alt friendly gear progression we got since release, considering all the gear is legacy bound and can be traded with all of your chars in your legacy.

I agree. Once you get a full set of 306, you use it to get more, and more and more. before to long you'll be dreading the pile of gear to sort through after an OP.

I agree. Once you get a full set of 306, you use it to get more, and more and more. before to long you'll be dreading the pile of gear to sort through after an OP.

Exactly, which is why they really need to implement a new legacy gear overview that enables you to easily switch all the legacy gear between your characters. They hinted at something like this, but it will definitely take some time before we get it.

Exactly, which is why they really need to implement a new legacy gear overview that enables you to easily switch all the legacy gear between your characters. They hinted at something like this, but it will definitely take some time before we get it.

Agreed. Inventory management now is a pain in the Hutt's rear.

But to OP, while I agree the new gearing system can be convoluted -- it really is incredibly quick (some say too quick) and most alt-friendly of any MMORPG I've played.

Minus amplifiers, of course. :rak_03:

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Another question, if you already have 6 pieces of a set, the 7 piece does not matter, correct?

Correct.

Many players use a piece of Amplified Champion for that piece. It gives you an extra combat amplifier (blue quality only) for a small bonus to armor penetration, burst damage, etc.

Another question, if you already have 6 pieces of a set, the 7 piece does not matter, correct?

correct.

in fact best case is you use a piece of Amplified Champion for the 7th, even better if it's a head piece, because then if can be freely swapped for Dread Guard Mask/Crest without messing up your set gear.

Thanks! This is.... the most stupid s*** I have ever seen. It makes no f***ing sense. And I though the gearing was terrible in 5.0. This is on a whole new level.

I've stayed away from this grind for one simple reason. It's stupid. Grinding 1500 to 3000 tech pieces for a single, empty shell and tactical, is stupid. Locking set bonuses behind a shell is stupid.

And so therefore, I avoid it like the plague, and as a result, I've been having lots of fun playing the game.

Edited by ZeroTypeR

OP asked "How do you gear?"

OK, first I grasp the shifter firmly in my right hand, then I let off the gas and press the clutch pedal with my left foot...

For me, this just makes no sense and seems really backwards. I use my left hand for shifting the gears and drive with my right hand. Meanwhile my right foot alternates between the clutch and brake and I use my left foot to accelerate.

I think you might be going about this all wrong.

Edited by Pirana

I can see shells sell at the vendors in the fleet for tech currency. Are we now bound to the shells again? That was removed in 1.02 or 1.03 for a very good reason.

I believe that there is a good chance that none of the responsible people at BW actually knows that, because they either weren't there back then or not part of the decision-making processes. I often have the feeling that decisions are being made without any knowledge of the game's past. :rolleyes:

I use my left hand for shifting the gears and drive with my right hand. Meanwhile my right foot alternates between the clutch and brake and I use my left foot to accelerate.

Öööhhhh... what? :confused:

I believe that there is a good chance that none of the responsible people at BW actually knows that, because they either weren't there back then or not part of the decision-making processes. I often have the feeling that decisions are being made without any knowledge of the game's past. :rolleyes:

Öööhhhh... what? :confused:

After reading the post I quoted, I had to turn it into more of a joke. Hopefully no one took that serious...:eek:

Not if you actually want gear that doesn't suck. Great, you can get to 306 in a few days.....too bad its onoptimized trash. Now you get to spam FP's till your eyes bleed grinding tech frags to get your not so great set pieces so you can finally augment because BW thought it was a great idea to put the damn set bonus back onto the shells.

I've grinded more in this RNG BS than in 5.0.

Edited by Raansu

Yep this new gearing system SUCKS it takes so long to actually get everything you need to get your BIS you need so meny techfragments and you basicly need to save EVERY 306 mod that drops so that once you get all your shells to work towards your BiS.

I've gotten 3 pages of Mods and i still don't have my BiS for even 1 of my tons and i swear if i see 1 more hammer station i'm going to scream.

I am a returning player that actually loves the new gearing system. I was confused at first, but then joined my first guild and they told me what to do (gearing is only an issue if you do it wrong).

Step one: choose a stealth character to level to 75 (do the story and get the free 268 set that comes from doing it).

Step two: run Red Reaper stealth runs with another stealth character (both your companions on heal at first, then one heal, one dps as your gear gets a little better). You literally stealth through and just kill the bosses and complete the FP in about 15 mins once you know what to do.

Step three: after each run, put on whatever gear is an upgrade then deconstruct everything else.

Step four: every few runs check if you have any gear that hasn't upgraded (i.e. all your gear is 286 but 2 low pieces still at 276). This will hurt your gear rating (and thus the drops you get), so use all the tech frags you now have to update those pieces at the random vendor in supply (it is almost always an upgrade...like 80-90%).

And, that is it. Rinse and repeat. I went from 268 to 306 in about 2 days (probably 6 hours total). And, after that I keep doing it for another 3 days and outfitted all 8 of my toons in 306 gear. So, after a week of work, I now can do anything I want on any character I want, and 306 gear and tech frags drop (raiding, pvp, fp's, heroics, dailies, conquest, whatever all give more 306 pieces/comps and frags).

Then as you play, you use the tech frags to buys set pieces, and will get plenty of 306 comps to stick in your legacy vault to fill the set pieces as you get them. Joining a guild and doing some conquest on a few characters will speed that up a lot too. It's easy, and you can do anything you want after the initial fp runs. So, get some beer, put on some tunes and do some stealth red reaper runs for a few days.....or don't and keep complaining how hard it is.

Edited by aristein

Above was my experience too. I know people who are adverse to doing this though. Just seems wrong to not care about stats as you are in the process of gearing.

I have 10 level 75s in 306 gear now but none of them are close to getting perfect stats. The most I’ve achieved for dps is accuracy and alacrity about where I want it, but crit is around 1200 rather than the recommended 3200

Edited by Shinian

I am a returning player that actually loves the new gearing system. I was confused at first, but then joined my first guild and they told me what to do (gearing is only an issue if you do it wrong).

Step one: choose a stealth character to level to 75 (do the story and get the free 268 set that comes from doing it).

Step two: run Red Reaper stealth runs with another stealth character (both your companions on heal at first, then one heal, one dps as your gear gets a little better). You literally stealth through and just kill the bosses and complete the FP in about 15 mins once you know what to do.

Step three: after each run, put on whatever gear is an upgrade then deconstruct everything else.

Step four: every few runs check if you have any gear that hasn't upgraded (i.e. all your gear is 286 but 2 low pieces still at 276). This will hurt your gear rating (and thus the drops you get), so use all the tech frags you now have to update those pieces at the random vendor in supply (it is almost always an upgrade...like 80-90%).

And, that is it. Rinse and repeat. I went from 268 to 306 in about 2 days (probably 6 hours total). And, after that I keep doing it for another 3 days and outfitted all 8 of my toons in 306 gear. So, after a week of work, I now can do anything I want on any character I want, and 306 gear and tech frags drop (raiding, pvp, fp's, heroics, dailies, conquest, whatever all give more 306 pieces/comps and frags).

Then as you play, you use the tech frags to buys set pieces, and will get plenty of 306 comps to stick in your legacy vault to fill the set pieces as you get them. Joining a guild and doing some conquest on a few characters will speed that up a lot too. It's easy, and you can do anything you want after the initial fp runs. So, get some beer, put on some tunes and do some stealth red reaper runs for a few days.....or don't and keep complaining how hard it is.

This post explains it in a nutshell and is exactly, or close to how you go about gearing in 6.0.

The new gearing system is extremely quick once you understand it. If you're a returning player or new to the game, the end game gearing will be confusing to most. We get returning players or new players in our guild and we explain the gist of it, and before you know, most are gear rating 306 pretty quick, then you need to work on the horizontal gearing aspect of it, which is only needed if you plan to run end game content, or in other words, min/max your gear.

This post explains it in a nutshell and is exactly, or close to how you go about gearing in 6.0.

The new gearing system is extremely quick once you understand it. If you're a returning player or new to the game, the end game gearing will be confusing to most. We get returning players or new players in our guild and we explain the gist of it, and before you know, most are gear rating 306 pretty quick, then you need to work on the horizontal gearing aspect of it, which is only needed if you plan to run end game content, or in other words, min/max your gear.

Its quick to get to horribly unoptimized non moddable 306 gear with no set bonuses. It is not quick to rely on rng for low drop rate set pieces and its even slower farming tech frags to buy an empty shell set piece. Its also stupid expensive. Why do I need credits to get the optimized gear?

You know how it was back in the day? Run OP, kill boss with guaranteed drop, roll on token, go to vendor and choose which piece I want from said token. It was billion times better than the current system of just spamming FP's till my eyes bleed. It also makes pvp unbearable given that pvp gear is gone.

Edited by Raansu

Its quick to get to horribly unoptimized non moddable 306 gear with no set bonuses. It is not quick to rely on rng for low drop rate set pieces and its even slower farming tech frags to buy an empty shell set piece. Its also stupid expensive. Why do I need credits to get the optimized gear?

You know how it was back in the day? Run OP, kill boss with guaranteed drop, roll on token, go to vendor and choose which piece I want from said token. It was billion times better than the current system of just spamming FP's till my eyes bleed. It also makes pvp unbearable given that pvp gear is gone.

Because you are doing it the wrong way... and blame the game instead of informing yourself about what to do and how to do it.

A lot of PVP-ers were already full 306 in the first days after Onslaught launched.