Alderaan Stronghold Feedback Phase #1

EricMusco

First, thank you for putting the Alderaan Stronghold on the PTS for feedback.

Here are my first impressions. I've not yet started to decorate, but will make another post after I do that.

What is your general feeling on the Stronghold?

My general feeling is a mix of mild frustration with some aspects, and delight with other aspects. I'll provide details later in this post.

Overall, my first impression is that the team did a very good job of capturing the grandeur of both Alderaan's civic structures and its natural landscape.

I think how purchasing the rooms is broken down is well done. For my personal preference, I will definitely unlock the Mountain retreat and the Lodgings. Maybe the Killik cave. Probably not the rest of the Stronghold.

Are there any specific rooms you like, or don't like, and why? Please be specific.

I love the Lodgings accessed through the Mountain Retreat. For me, that area, and those rooms, hit the perfect mix of what I want from an Alderaan Stronghold. The majesty of Alderaan's nature aspects -- the snow, the mountains; and also some nice rooms for being indoors. I love the floor to ceiling windows in the Lodge rooms. I do wish it was possible to access the area outside of those windows, but if there is a way to do that I've not yet found it.

While I think they look very nice, I'm not a fan of the Throne room, and the rooms accessed from the stained glass area. The throne room is expansive, but the mostly blocked view behind the throne's dais is frustrating. As the throne room, I'd prefer for the view of Alderaan to not be blocked off. I know that there are other locations where it's possible to see, and actually be, outside in the Stronghold. It's just that I think behind the throne dais is a missed opportunity to have Alderaan's natural beauty as a backdrop.

The rooms accessed off the stained glass room (the Drawing room, etc.) are nice. No windows in them, but nice.

At first I thought the unlock for the Killik cave was too far away, but then I saw the animation for unlocking it. Very nice! I don't like that we can't use mounts in the Killik cave, though. Please change that and allow for mounts to be used in this area. The Killik dispenser is just all kinds of awesome. I love it! I think the Killik cave looks great.

I think the outdoor areas of the Stronghold look great with the snow, mountains, and trees. However, much of the shrubbery that is also omnipresent on the planet Alderaan aren't included in the Stronghold. I would like to see more low shrubs outdoors. Not a huge amount that blocks all the snow, but more.

With the indoor parts of the Stronghold, I do not like the built-in ceiling lights. The rare times when there is a ceiling hook where a light can be placed, too many of the ceiling light decorations would clip through the ceiling's architectural features, like the Throne room's ceiling.

I think the balcony overlook has a beautiful view. However, it lacks ambient sounds I'd expect from the location. I'm not hearing the waterfalls or the wind. Except for the view, it's like being inside a room as far as background sounds.

While I love the stained glass window -- it is absolutely gorgeous -- two things keep me from really loving that room. First, the alignment of the image cast on the floor from the sun's rays going through the stained glass. I like symmetry. That off-center reflection of the stained glass window on the floor bugs me to no end. It's as though the entire stained glass window is off-center. I understand it may hold true to the physics of light through the window as the sun crosses the sky at a particular moment. But, it just seems skewed to me. Perhaps changing the alignment of the stained glass on the floor to being centered?

Stained glass reflection on the floor.

Second, either the mezzanine overlooking the stained glass room is fake, or I'm missing how to access it. If I'm missing how to access it, my apologies. If the mezzanine is fake, i.e., my characters can't get there to look down on the stained glass area, I don't like it. I think it would be amazing to be able to go to the mezzanine for another aspect of viewing the stained glass area. If the mezzanine is fake, that's just frustrating.

Does the Stronghold feel too big? Too small? Why?

I don't think it feels too big, or too small. With a variety of quick travel points within the Stronghold players can go to whichever part of the Stronghold they favor. For me, once this Stronghold goes live I'd likely only travel to/visit/use the Mountain Retreat area. I think the breakdown of the unlocks is well done. Again, using myself as the example, I would not be happy if I had to unlock the Throne room in order to unlock the Mountain Retreat. As it is, after the initial unlock cost, I can then go about unlocking the Mountain Stronghold.

I think that players who want a smaller Stronghold can unlock the rooms off the Stained Glass room. And also the Throne room, should they choose to do so. The layout of unlocking rooms allows for players to have as big, or as small, a Stronghold as they want.

If you could change one thing about the Stronghold, what would it be?

I'd change the initial landing zone for the Stronghold. For such a grand location, I think the initial arrival point is underwhelming. A bridge far from the castle and the mountains. Sort of in the middle of nowhere. Also, there are times when a player wants to get to their Stronghold, and quickly get items from Cargo or Legacy and repair. The initial landing point's hook layout isn't good for this.

I'd remove most, if not all, of the built-in ceiling lights so that I could use the ceiling light decorations of my choice.

I'd allow for mounts to be ridden any- and everywhere in the Stronghold. If a player does not want to ride mounts in their Stronghold, that would be their choice. Even though I've only spent a short time in the Stronghold, having to run everywhere inside the castle already got old for me. And, definitely allow mounts to be ridden inside the Killik cave.

Please remove the repair droid at the entrance to the castle. A boxy droid with a glowing green and yellow treasure box floating over its head is the opposite of grandiose. Players have the option of Felucia Stato or Imp and Pub repair droid decorations, that they can place where they wish. And, I'd move the Quick travel point and the Stronghold cinematic player further away from the castle's entrance. Hard to set up a preamble to entering a majestic structure when there is a boxy droid with a glowing icon floating over its head, and the not at all aligned with each other SH cinematic player and Quick Travel point. Please move those, and put hooks near the entrance instead. Please allow for players to decorate the castle's entry door with rugs and guards, or plants, or statues.

The castle's current entrance.

Does the increased hook density feel too cluttered?

Not at all. I like the hook density, and the variety seems good, although I won't know for certain until I get to decorating. I understand that there will be a limit as to how many decorations can be placed. I just really like that the high number of hooks in many locations allows for more flexibility and creativeness when decorating.

Does the number and placement of hooks feel to restrictive given the Stronghold's decoration cap?

I love the areas with a high density of hooks. There are some areas sorely lacking hooks. Below is one view, just outside of the Killik caves, looking towards the castle. I have it set to show hooks. There simply aren't any hooks in this area to show.

Lack of hooks, just outside the Killik cave, looking towards the castle.

Another view, a lack of hooks outside the Killik cave, looking towards to Killik cave entrance.

Inside the Killik cave, a lack of hooks in an area within the Killik cave. Location: -215, -339. This area does have a number of Killiks in it when using the Killik dispenser. However, for players choosing not to have a high Killik count in the cave, this area is just blank since there are no hooks.

The built-in campfire near where the Killik cave is unlocked is a nice touch, until seeing the hook placement. With its current hook placement, rather than standing near the campfire, any personnel, animal mounts, or pets would seem to fear fire, and stand far from the fire. What's the point of a warming campfire if the beings and critters placed as decos can't be near it?

Anything else you want to add?

I'd like to see some thranta flying through the air. If they are already there, I missed seeing them.

The introductory cinematic for the Alderaan Stronghold did not play when first entering the SH. Just a static placard showed. And, I think that music in the background of the Alderaan SH during what should have been its cinematic is the same as the Yavin 4's SH. Hopefully the Alderaan SH will have its own distinctly Alderaanian music.

The Stronghold is not a rest zone. I'm not sure if that's related to being on the test server, but I want to mention it.

In conclusion of this post, thank you again for the chance to test out the Alderaan Stronghold on the PTS. I will make another post after I get to decorating. Overall, outside of my critiques, I'm liking what you've done with the Alderaan Stronghold. I think it is quite beautiful, and carries the feel of the planet Alderaan.

Edited by Nmyownworld

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to refine my thoughts a bit in the specified format. Felt I was rambling a bit.

All in all positive. There's a lot of potential here to make a great stronghold but is rough around the edges and some qualifty of life changes would make it monumentally better.

Are there any specific rooms you like, or don't like, and why? Please be specific.

I don't like the throne room and the killik cave specifically. Why? I don't like being locked into a certain build. By having the throne room with a throne already in it I can't change it if I don't want a throne room. Leave space for a hook that can utilise a throne decoration, but it shouldn't be there by default. Take it out and let people place it as a deco if they want. Same goes for the Killik cave, it's not something I enjoyed about Alderaan personally, but again if people do want to make it a Killik cave they can do so by using Killik decorations. People might want to put in a security base or a crystal cave or a hotspring. Having Killik mounds (which look like wasp nests) that we can't remove feels restrictive. Maybe include special decorations with the purchase of this stronghold?

Not so much a room I dislike, rather a room I wonder whats the point of, is the ruins in the mountain lodge. It's very small and doesn't have a lookout or anything. I'm just curious as to why it's there or if its incomplete.

There are also a few hallways where they appear to lead to a new room based on the floor markings, but instead lead to a dead end, specifically in the mountain lodge.

A bit mixed on this one. I feel the entrance field area is far too large. I like some outdoors but it feels like too much. The stronghold itself feels small. It really feels like the main palace needs a second floor like the Organa castle on Alderaan and the rooms could use some windows, some unique room shapes, a balcony (if rooms upstairs are added) or a small garden enclosed by the mountain wall.

I would change many things but I'll put a priority list.

1. Add a second floor with rooms attached with balconies. If you're going to make a big SH go hard or go home I reckon.

2. I would reduce the entrance area space by about a third.

3. I would remove the throne and the killik mounds and instead have decos and hooks that can be that if people wish.

It's a bit mixed, in some places it feels like its missing hooks, in others it feels like it has too many. An example of too little would be the entrance archway to the estate building. It feels like it needs a statue or fountain in that entrance but there is no hook. It's hard to give an answer on this one as I haven't done a lot of decorating.

Does the number and placement of hooks feel to restrictive given the Stronghold's decoration cap?

Again, hard to say.

As I mentioned in the bugs thread. While I love the idea of the stained glass window the way the light interacts with decorations could prove troublesome. Either there can't be hooks where the color projection lands on the floor or decorations need to reflect that light, and block that light from passing through it, like it does currently.

Probably the most aesthetically pleasing interiors I've seen in any stronghold so far. I think it needs more of those stunning interiors.

I love it.

I like all the rooms.

Just right.

More than one thing:

please remove the vendor droids (vendor icon toggle in strongholds would be great).

would love thrantas instead of taxis.

More ceiling light hooks please. everywhere.

remove door to nowhere

there are large outdoor areas with no hooks. more hooks are better.

please add hooks to watery areas outside so i can place some of my pets in the water.

add death star shield generator, please.

no. more hooks are better. i have not really tested placing decorations.

Does the number and placement of hooks feel too restrictive given the Stronghold's decoration cap?

nothing on this yet.

I like the kilik cave. I am not a fan of kiliks generally, but they are peculiar to Alderaan, so it's fun having them there. I like being able to populate the cave at different levels. I think i'lm going to put all those Kiliks to work for me ...

thank you for not pre-decorating the stronghold (for the most part). I'm happy to see no crates, wires, or junk heaps lying around. just get rid of the vendor droids. I don't mind the pre-selected light fixtures but I also wouldn't mind if they were gone and replaced with ceiling hooks.

thanks for a lovely new stronghold. I can't wait to get mine on live server!

• What is your general feeling on the Stronghold?
  • Are there any specific rooms you like, or don't like, and why? Please be specific.
  • Does the Stronghold feel too big? Too small? Why?
  • If you could change one thing about the Stronghold, what would it be?
  • Does the increased hook density feel too cluttered?
  • Does the number and placement of hooks feel to restrictive given the Stronghold's decoration cap?
  • Anything else you want to add?

1. Over all design:

Overall design as far as QC is concerned is good. If the team was wanting to represent the over all "feel" for the grandeur of the nobles of Alderaan … then that was accomplished. The rooms are VERY spacious … not cramped (like the underwater area of Manaan which are waaaaay too small given that there are no other areas to open up.)

If a player likes castles … and bigger areas then they will love this. It's essentially Tatooine in a mountain setting with a fantastic palace.

2. Specific rooms:

I did like the feel of the rooms to the sides of the main room.. and I'm guessing that the central room is the throne room ? I did like the attempt to do the stained glass lighting .. but that seems to go away on the floor when decos are in place. I'm not sure if that can be changed or not. Nicely done though.

I did not care for the "cave" at all. In fact I would not have that part of the expansion at all. That's just me. It's personal taste.

3. Size

I did not like the size. It's just a bit too big. The cave is something I'll never use

4. Hooks

IMO … there should be more hooks available … perhaps some that are more adept to the theme ???

5. Overall comment: I will wait for another type of theme. BUT this one for those who enjoy castles and the feel for this sort of surrounding will definitely appreciate it. I'll just have to wait and see if there is something else coming in the future.

For those who enjoy this sort of theme … I'd encourage you to buy … develop and enjoy.

A lot of RL stuff to deal with the next few days.

I apologize if this information is not that detailed... but I'm in a bit of a rush. I will make another effort to report back later today if it is all possible.

OH !! BTW.. I also wish to extend a personal word of thanks for allowing us to review / comment on and be a part of the "testing" phase. VERY MUCH appreciated !!

Best Regards

My thoughts on the PTS version of the new Alderaan SH:

So (yesterday) ... i have finally seen (and toured around, being ACTUALLY THERE) the new Alderaan SH ON PTS ... some thoughts:

A video producer said there is a "hidden ninth room" somewhere in the SH, that the community managers did not mention (or show off) during the Livestream this past December 16th. I did not see any? WHAT "hidden, ninth room"????

Did anyone else see the hidden area / room in the cave, BEHIND the back stalagmites and egg hives??? Jump past them and you run into an INVISIBLE WALL there, but you can definitely see that that part of the cave keeps going back a ways. Not finished? We just cannot get past the invisible wall right now :(

I definitely never caught the blue-clickable stalagmite before. the one that allows you to change lighting or the native Killik population / worker drones, etc... I need to check that out again.

What i hate about this stronghold, is very few things.... what i love about it, is most everything else! :)

Number ONE (1), WHAT I REALLY and MAINLY wanted, is a few, VERY TALL TOWERS ...that we could walk or elevator up into, where we could have an OBSERVATION or GOOD VIEW of the surrounding countryside.... meh we never got that yet. (and i am talking SKY HIGH here!!! WE DO NOT HAVE THAT in the current PTS version!!! SAD!!! :( ) PLEASE BUILD AT LEAST FOUR HIGH TOWERS in this castle (they can be expansions but please leave AT LEAST ONE as a NON-expansion and part of the default main hall of the main part of the Stronghold). MAKE THEM AS TALL AS POSSIBLE so we can get a great view! And make the FLOOR SPACE in at least 1 of the towers, enough to fill a decent living room .... the rest can be "bedroom" sized, if you like, but we need AT LEAST ONE WIDE tower, and the rest can be "average" floor space sized. THE KEY and BEST PART of Alderaan (for those who like that planet) is THE VIEW!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT TO INDULGE IN THE VIEW!!!!! PLEASE give us a TALLER OVERLOOK in these towers that you might build anew.

Two, I really wanted a BALCONY version of a hallway on the SECOND FLOOR to place things on, a balcony version of the ground floor but just above it -- inside the main hall. Where we could look out over the ground floor, similar to the Capital palace on Coruscant, or the Capital building in ACTUAL ALDERAAN (Panteer castle i think it is called?)

Also, the main hall's STAINED GLASS is BUGGED. When you place rugs or floor decos over top of the shined-down image from the stained glass? THE RUGS COVER THE LIGHT IMAGES INSTEAD of the LIGHT IMAGES COVERING the RUGS and floor decos as IT SHOULD be, in "reality".... VERY FLAWED with the image the stained glass casts down on the floor if you can cover that image with a silly rug and it no longer shows! :(

Also, SOME PEOPLE DID COMPLAIN about the lack of viewing window-space BEHIND THE THRONE ROOM / throne area... that they want that "hump" to be GONE and for the window there to maybe be bigger. I WAS ONE OF THOSE who complained about that and i do not like that either. But not everyone i talked to on PTS had issues with it. It should be a TOGGLE at best.

I love the "greensward" of all the land and surrounding countryside. The cave is ok too.... But there needs to be more "Set default spawn" device locations littered all over the place. I presume there will be more once it is finished by devs. And there are NO hook points in any of the water areas, outside. That is sad. Rishi at least had those, IN the water.

Also, there is a giant VALLEY right down below the RUINS area, that has 2 ship hook points, that i can barely see the bottom-most one, but we have NO WALK-ABLE access down to.... so really, what is the freaking point of that, anyway????

All in all, the rest of it is beautiful .... it was my TOP DREAM for this game to have a SH on Alderaan and i still cannot believe it is almost here. BUT PLEASE, Bioware, PLEASE!!! Put in some high towers in the main castle, and a balcony area for the 2nd floor that overlooks the main hall. PLEASE?

I am saying this only from a personal and private perspective and not as a Guildmaster, where other people have also had very legit (other) concerns in that respect as well.

Also, the **SPOILER** platform detonator thing ... can we do that more than once? hahahahaa It sucks if the only time we can set off those explosives is only when we expand into the Killik cave ... that was a wonderful experience and i want to see it done again because i was not really watching that area too attentively when i clicked that button!!!! LMAO

Edited by lightningseven

This is my preliminary feedback. I intend to go back tonight and have another look around. (Updated)

Overall, my general feeling is reasonably positive, but I probably won't buy it.

I specifically like the rooms with the large windows.

Overall, it feels a bit too big, but not too, too big.

I can't pick just one thing. 🙂

- I noticed there's a "choose your zone in point" terminal near the entrance, but it doesn't seem to be working. In any case, I'd like the zone in point to be inside the main entrance, not way out in the boonies.

- I don't personally like the perma-winter theme. I'd like to make a garden area, but putting it outside would look kinda dumb with all the tropical plants, etc. (Edit**) As an alternative, there could be a large interior room with a high vaulted glass or windowed ceiling to act as a greenhouse. (I thought there already was a suitable large room, with a closed ceiling, but I was wrong I guess.)

- I agree that the cave should be more neutral. All the Killik stuff, including the eggs, should be decos.

- like the cave, the "Throne Room" needs to be more neutral. The entire throne object should be a deco so that we can choose where to put the throne, or even leave it out.

- fewer default ceiling lights.

The more hooks the better. You only see them while decorating, so no, they don't look cluttered.

Does the number and placement of hooks feel too restrictive given the Stronghold's decoration cap?

In most places no, but some of the outdoor area are a bit sparse.

Overall, I like the Stronghold, but I wish there were a few things that could be done (but may not be practical)

- it would be great if we could choose the overall climate. Either Winter or Summer.

- it would be great if we could choose the overall "theme" of the interior walls by choosing from different colour and/ or design themes based upon the different Alderaan houses, or more neutral themes.

- it would be great to likewise be able to choose a theme for the cave.

(Edit) Overall, after re-visiting the SH, I'd have to say that I won't be buying it unless there's a few changes. As it is, there would be no incentive to move my main Stronghold from Tatooine.

** I thought at first there already was a room that could be used, but I can't find it on my second look through the SH. Maybe it was off the hallway to the Throne Room - there's a door that doesn't open that I could swear opened before.

Anyway, such a Greenhouse/Solarium should be at least the size of the main entrance hall, and tall enough to accommodate most current tree decorations.

EDIT #2 - There is a room - the entrance to the Northern Lodge - that could be used as a small garden, if the roof could be open/glass,

Also, I can't find the "hot tub" balcony, today. I think that's the door off the Throne Room hallway that won't open.

Edited by JediQuaker

Hey all,

PTS is now live! A few quick notes and then we will dive into the questions. Our plan for this PTS is to look for initial feedback on the Stronghold, the rooms, and hook placement. We will be bringing PTS back down this Friday, so it will be pretty quick. Then, we will be back in January with the next and more robust testing phase for Alderaan (coming in 6.1). Below you will find some guiding questions you should try to answer, you don't specifically need to answer them but try to keep them in mind as you leave your feedback.

First, THANK YOU, BIOWARE, for giving ACTUAL SUBSTANCE to my BIGGEST DREAMS about this game by making the new Alderaan Stronghold! PLEASE TAKE ALL MY MONEY for this! (ok not all just a lot lol) and i am so happy because THIS WAS MY NUMBER ONE DREAM place to be, IN-game, or rather, in "cooldown" times during my being IN game. MY TOP FAVORITE PLANET HAS ALWAYS been Alderaan, and YOU HAVE BLESSED ME SO MUCH by making this wonderful "noble estate"!!! I LOVE IT!!! Well, most of it... ;)

(see my other comments, earlier, for my whole critique)

I can almost feel the cold ice air as i roam around. IT FEELS AS GOOD, IF NOT EVEN BETTER than the original Alderaan (the playable PVE world). I want to explode landslide more than once though. That was just too fun and i was barely paying attention when i did it -- i want to watch it again and again and again - please make it an optional playable part of the "preview intro movie" (only if we have expanded that area -- no spoilers is good).

The rooms on the ground floor are TOO SMALL. I am ok with maybe leaving HALF of them that size, but the rest of the rooms on the ground floor need to be MUCH BIGGER. Also, some guildmasters touring it have said that they need more WIDER SPACES for guild events to be held at (my thoughts are, they could just do all of that outside on the huge lawn .... but whatever. Kiss their butts and make em happy lol)

The zig-zaggy hallways in the Western Lodging are RIDICULOUS. I HATE that. Please make Western Lodging hallways LESS ZIG-ZAGGY / MAZE-like. That's crap. And far too confusing, especially when you have floor tiles (the patterns being suggestive) leading into walls where no door is, and a door that leads where no room is. COME ON, BIOWARE!

I wanted some TOWERS to go up into, with a great FAR view, that are hook-wise, living-room sized, and that i could decorate and spend time just alone up there (even better if we can make the biggest tower a spawn point).

PLEASE MAKE SOME TOWERS off the main castle! At least 4, 3 can be expansions but 1 must be a part of the default stronghold. 1 should be living-room sized and the rest of the 3 can be ordinary bedroom-like sized.

The whole point of being on ALDERAAN is the CRAZY AMAZING VIEW and we are only getting that in the ruins/retreat area with a balcony over top of a valley that has 2 ship hooks that we CANNOT GO DOWN INTO - that is not good :(

The (overall, total) SH is not too big. But some of the inner rooms are too small.

What needs to be bigger is the UPSTAIRS HALLWAY (that right now, does NOT EXIST) -- we need SPACE on the 2nd level with a hallway that has a BALCONY that overlooks the ground floor of the main hall. PLEASE.

Also, the stained glass effect is BROKEN when you place a rug or floor deco over top of it.... then the light cast down by the window is gone and covered up.... that is not realistic and i would say, BROKEN.

Also, the ruins have NO floor hooks. WHY?

The Killik cave has a (secret??) background area behind the stalagmites that has an invisible wall back there that we cannot get past. Is that just unfinished or what is the (bad) reason for that? I CAN SEE HOW FAR it goes back there .... but we cannot get past the barriers you put there :( Also some waterfalls inside the cave would be very nice too - but there are none? Also, You guys have a bit of a history of concealing things behind waterfalls and i did not find that aspect of the many falls there (outside that cave) this time. Kinda disappointed because i know what is behind the waterfall on Dromund Kaas near the Republic agents hiding there. ;)

Also it was not intuitive (for me at least, or right away) about the blue clickable stalagmite inside that cave that allows one to change native population or lighting? i didnt see that when i was "there" but i only later found that when watching someone else's video tour on youtube. Hmmm...

There are NO towers?!? Mehhhh... WE NEED SOME TOWERS! What the heck is a CASTLE WITHOUT TOWERS??? UGGGGH Bioware this is the ONLY REAL BIG FLAW with this new SH!!!

Also, for the love of all that is SWTOR, PLEASE STOP with placing the "no speeder zones" ... I can understand why it is not "gentlemanly" to drive a speeder through the INTERNAL rooms or halls of a palace. BUT ... IF IT IS MY HOUSE THEN I RESERVE THE RIGHT to traipse RANCORS and BULLDOZERS as much as i want, through any part of my house. is it MY HOME or is it NOT??? PLEASE STOP making certain areas "no speeder zones"! THAT TOO is CRAP. Especially the outer and inner Killik cave areas!

And, where are the WATERFALLS that we can immerse ourselves in? so far, the only ones i see are seen only from a distance? At least on YAVIN we can take showers if we want to .... because we can go IN them. NOT SO on Alderaan! SHAME. :(

No. in fact there are several more areas (outside on the landscape, mostly) which have NO hooks but DO need MORE hooks!!!

see above. the outer landscape area DOES need MORE HOOKS. The inside of most buildings and internal rooms seems fine -- except the ruins has no floor hooks. WHY are there NO HOOK locations IN the water areas??? THAT was present on Rishi SH and that was wonderful, but we do not get water hooks on Alderaan? cheated!

TOWERS!!! TOWERS!!! TOWERS!!!! TOWERS PLEASE!!!! :) I will beg if i need to. AT LEAST FOUR! As i said above lol THIS IS MY DREAM BIOWARE! I WILL BUY CC for this! lots, sadly .... lots lol

FOUR TOWERS. 1 very big in width, or living room sized. THREE OTHERS can be bedroom or average sized. BONUS if you make any of them with long WINDING staircases and not just a silly elevator or lift... But as long as there are SKY HIGH towers, i will take it.

Alderaan is ABOUT THE GLORIOUS VIEW! And the "cool mountain heights" as Jim Morrison used to quote.

It is NOT just the wonderful BAVARIAN or ALPINE-like feel (which i love about that planet!!!)

I ALSO LOVE the HUGE BILLOWY clouds and sky images (wish they would animate like on Ilum though)

BONUS if, when you make the towers, that i can spot "Big Red" from them ... that boy is so hard to find hahaha

Reminder that pricing is typically not implemented on PTS. Once we know final pricing I can post it. Also, please report any and all bugs on the PTS Bug Report Forum.

Thanks all!

-eric

I understand all of this and i cannot wait to see everything get done - i am a little patient but i cannot wait, too! :)

Wheeeeee, playing Space Barbie!!! :-P lolol

Edited by lightningseven

Okay, this is a work in progress and I will continue to add more things as I go.

These are some notes i took along the way:

OUTSIDE:

Initial cutscene failed to play. i was staring at grass.

No epic Alderaanian music.

OH GOD. YES. THIS! SO MUCH THIS! I forgot about that!!! Ya, true, there was NO EPIC Alderaan soundtrack? none of the BEST music in the ENTIRE GAME -- NONE of that was playing when i toured it on PTS? THIS MUST CHANGE POST-HASTE!!!! Just give us the same exact soundtrack and i will be happy. Others that love this planet will be too.

And yeah the "intro cut scene" was ... um .... yeah ... not even there .... lol staring at grass ... meh well i figure that will be finished at the end when everything is finalized, so i am not really worried (about THAT) right now

Cave looks nice. I like the pseudo terminal to change Killik population density.

Could use more hooks along the shoreline of the pond.

yes, and there are hardly any -- if any -- hooks IN (the midst of) the actual water areas, either :(

CASTLE:

Gonk Droid at entrance? Please remove it!

No, i disagree. Leave it there or let it be a toggle / optional. I LIKE COURTESY things. Or, maybe just make it be a free deco that we can place ourselves (which is a better idea!!)

Cinematic terminal not working.

Add large wall hooks instead of small ones in entrance.

Stained glass window is gorgeous. Good job there but it's reflection on the floor is off center.

A little overkill with the hooks on the interior floor especially where the reflection is.

yes yes and yes BUT ... the reflection from the glass on the floor is broken when you put a rug or carpet or floor deco there -- then the image from the window is covered up and that makes no sense, devs!

The system message telling us what room we're in needs to go.

Could use a second floor on top of main interior room. Something akin to the senate on Coruscant.

Throne room needs a door.

Would love a way to get to area below balcony.

Elevator to retreat has terminal on outside instead of inside.

TOTALLY AGREED with ALL points above! I so much side with you on ALL of those parts!

What kind of ruling sovereign leaves their main sanctuary exposed without a SECURITY DOOR? mehhhhh

RETREAT:

Another droid that needs to be removed at entrance.

Could use a Starship hook in big open area near destroyed building structure.

That destroyed building structure needs to go. Turn it into a small residency for the lord of the estate.

The ruins is actually kinda lame. THEY SHOULD have made it more run down but as it is now, it is or feels very incomplete and TOO BASIC. Ruins are NOT normally looking like that, but look far more like those 2 flashpoints that you play at the beginning of Shadow of Revan where Korriban and Tython are all cast down and torn asunder -- but far far older looking. THINK YAVIN IV for real ruins but yeah, the "ruins" on Alderaan are VERY LAME and NOT old looking and NOT "cast asunder" or torn down enough, looking. Mehhh

I am ok with a new building "residency" whatever ... just dont take away the ruins. Just put what you say, in, the new residency small cottage like thing, and totally re-vamp all the ruins to make it more like ATHAS or YAVIN IV or DANTOOINE type ruins etc...

Found a starship hook down below destroyed building structure. Insta death trying to get there. Starship hook there is nonsense.

Besides the utter lack of towers on the main keep, THIS POINT ANNOYS ME VERY MUCH (what you said about the hooks and NO WAY to get near them ... insta death ... inacessible ... BAD FORM, Bioware! I totally agree here.

Taxi service not working.

Would love an arrival point at each taxi instead of bridge of moat and entrance to retreat.

Why taxis and no Thrantas? Alderaan is known for Thranta transport.

wow I so totally agree here too! THE ONLY "taxis" on Alderaan should be THRANTAS... come on Bioware! Lazy!

Main rooms of both lodgings need doors.

Would love to be able to get to area beyond glass in main rooms.

Remove that fake door or make it a room. Better yet make an elevator that lead to the roof.

you are so right!! I second ALL of that!

C+

Are there any specific rooms you like, or don't like, and why?

I like the throne room, balcony, and two lodging rooms because of the view.

The other rooms I don't because they are too big and have no windows.

Wow ... you are right! There are NOT ENOUGH ***WINDOWS***!!!

We SHOULD be getting HUGE WIDE ***PANORAMIC*** WINDOWS in this place ... but they are skimping it! CHEAP! :(

The open area with starship hooks feels too big.

The mountain retreat open area feels too small.

I would remove those stupid F'ing droid vendors with the floating treasure chest icon.

LOLLLLLLL! :) hahahaahaaha

Yes, very much so in the main hall interior floor. Especially by the stained glass window reflection.

Was unable to test it thoroughly enough.

I want a nice Thranta nest for transportation.

ME TOO!! ONLY (GIANT, SLOW and GRACEFUL moving) Thrantas FOR THE WIN, Bioware!!!! :D

• Gorgeous, love it. For specifics look below:

• Are there any specific rooms you like, or don't like, and why? Please be specific.

• Hooks in the area outside the Killik cave.

• Killik cave-It is okay but maybe remove the mounds so a person could make that a crystal cave. I have the waterfalls from the Nathema Flashpoint I could use and place crystals but having loose crystals instead of those in crates would be nicer.

• When you change the centerpiece hook to large, add small hooks on top of those hooks please.

• Lights: Remove all the Jedi Lights and let us place the type we would like or at least put the Zakuul or Revanite Chandeliers there. It fits better for a castle theme. (See Western Lodgings)

• Entrance: Add a large wall hook to place tapestry or something there but make sure it is able to be adjusted.

• Windows nice: Maybe add some drapes for us to put there. Add more windows, like in the study, etc.

• Ceilings: Remove the Temple lights and see below for suggestions.

• Main Hall:

• For the large ceiling hooks above the stain class: Add some Hanging Crest there or something like that. Lights will not work due to the stain glass, but you can add ceiling hooks on the bottom on the sides .

• Add a way to get up to the 2nd floor and make it like an overlook balcony . Add a stairway to access the balcony.

• Check the floor hooks in the main hall especially close to the side room. When I use the red aisle runners it goes into the other room and even when I try to move it back it doesn't work since we can only do it 20. In addition, instead of placing the rugs (which I love) maybe give them to us to place how we want. I would suggest changing the axis to more than 20 especially on the carpet runners.

• Mountain Retreat:

• Add floor hooks inside the ruins

• Western Lodging:

• Change the Light to either the Revanite Chandeliers or the Zakuul Chandeliers. While the Jedi Temple lights are nice, they don't fit a castle or just take them out and let us choose.

• Door: I know it is supposed to be locked but allow it to be unlocked or converted into a closet filled with noble clothing that could be seen so you would need to make it a glass door.

• Northern Lodgings:

• See my comment about the chandeliers in the Western Lodging

• Add some doors to some of the rooms so they can be more private (I.E. the room with the large windows, needs a door)

• Rule of thumb: If it is room then a door should be there and if not add one please

• Nope, perfect but maybe not so many starship hooks in the front since you can’t make them into large hooks with small hooks on top of them. If you could do that then it would be great.

• Read my suggestions above and add more beautiful windows (possibly a way to hang drapes would be nice too)

• No, not really.

• Does the number and placement of hooks feel to restrictive given the Stronghold's decoration cap?

• Didn’t check the cap on there so will get back to you on that.

Edit: Cap is 1035 so it might be okay, but raising it a little might be more beneficial to some decorators. I tend not to want to clutter my strongholds so for me I could work with it but wouldn't complain if we are given a little more.

• Anything else you want to add?

Maybe allow mounts in the stronghold since most of the others have them. A couple of towers would be nice to see in the distance. I wouldn’t go overboard but a couple would be ideal.

Edited by casirabit

Hmmm 1 more thing. the landscape needs MORE PINE / FIR trees, please! the "christmas" kind of GIANT FIRS, please! :) Like, LOTS and LOTS more! But scatter them out (OR, BETTER) -- make a DENSE FOREST area on 1 small side of the estate! :D Think something like the ARDENNES forest in France (as it was, fully "restored", BEFORE it all got torn to shreds by Germany bombing the "allies" at the Battle of the Bulge, etc...)

THAT KIND of DENSE forest would be WONDERFUL!!!!

Also, it would be nice if there were some VORN TIGERS nearby -- or are there decos for that?

i am NOT a fan of Killiks (other than Vector - him i like) but i do love all the other fauna and creatures native to Alderaan - are there decos for those or can some be placed somewhere, BESIDES the Killiks? please just make them as decos and NOT placed hard-coded into the SH landscape. Thanks.

Edited by lightningseven

My "second look" feedback answering the Dev questions:

I still really like it as it's visually spectacular, inside and out.

I really like the Killik cave however as I said in my previous post, it needs more hooks inside on the east and north paths. I also like the external ruins room, however this area needs floor hooks as it would be ideal for tiles and plants. I also agree with Estelendis' idea for that room to have stairs down into a secret underground room or cellar.

It's bigger than I thought it would be, however it does include all of Alderaan - the landscape, the killiks, the palaces so I can live with the size, HOWEVER...

We need to be able to mount up everywhere in the Alderaan SH like we can in our current strongholds. I can't stress this enough. As I said before, not being able to mount is a real deal breaker for me when decorating I frequently go back and forth between areas and can't do that here. I will even pay real money for the privilege.

I have to add a second thing too - I'd prefer stairs instead of the lift to the upper level, however if you must keep the lift please remove the door that leads to it - it's very annoying for my brain to try to remember which door the lift is behind and there's no in-game carer droid to point my old brain in the right direction :p Actually can you add one of those "point-me-in-the-right-direction" droids for strongholds?

The one area that stands out for me it the entrance into the main building with it's wall of endless small hooks. This seems like a Manaan mistake. There are very few decent decorations for small wall hooks. I suggest:

a) removing most of them and have no more than 3 per wall section and adding the surplus to the Killik cave floor

b) adding a new "medium narrow" hook for the narrower wall areas allow/add more types of wall decoration

Remove the droid vendors. I prefer to choose my own vendors in my strongholds. Also add a stronghold specific toggle off for vendor icons similar to the pvp toggle/on off. I was not a fan of all the new vendor icons back in the 6.0 pts, however they are actually useful in open world play. They are a nightmare in my strongholds making them look tatty and messing up the visual niceness.

6) On a decoration note, it might be a nice idea to have some "fake window" decorations that we could put on some of the many large wall hooks.

I second this, great idea for a new decoration.

I've been online to test.

Add a way to "reset" the mountain that blocks access to the Killik cave after you have unlocked that area. The cinematic is awesome...

I also second this - it seems such a shame to have such a great visual effect be a one off.

Edited by Sarova

A few thoughts on the Stronghold;

OVERALL;

This thing looks and feels great - good job! I love that there's not only some really cool features (dude, that stained glass window is awesome!) and lots of large hooks... and really just space without feeling like it's there for the sake of space... but that there's nooks and paths that I'm sure RPers are going to absolutely love. It makes it feel more like it's on the planet than just a house that uses the same assets as a planet.

Planning to make it my new achievement museum ^_^

IMPROVEMENTS;

• For one, I'd highly request a training dummy... either as an additional unlock room or preferably make a dummy terminal deco so I can place it anywhere (and in any SH) I want.
    As for locations, I suggest adding a third elevator option, with a study-size room that's just for training... that should be big enough to let guilds show things (allow an audience) and add some little hooks to make the room feel like part of the structure. Even rulers need basement gyms, right?
    Alternatively, a friend noticed a fake door in the lodge that could open into a dummy room. No extra level required, though it's a smidge far from the default spawn for my taste.
    I'm sure a TON of guilds (rep, esp) are going to swap over to this as their SH (please let guilds have multiple strongholds; great credit sink and it lets RP guilds have more places to really customize and play as their own without relying on individual members to shoulder the burden), and a training dummy would let it be far more useful.
  • For the love of the Force... let me mount everywhere. It's my house, I have staff to clean the jet residue. Don't make me run through a castle like a filthy peasant. Seriously though, let me mount everywhere... this place is big and decorating on foot is going to be a pain.
  • Also, please remove the droid vendors. The taxi is cool, but~
  • Can the taxi be a thranta instead? I always loved riding those to explore Alderaan... and since you're giving us a taxi anyway...
  • Maybe add a small guard room or other enclosed hut type thing next to the default spawn where people can squeeze in and hide the bays and other utilities? Would make it easier for guilds if they needed to have a close utility area (the three storage bays, wall GTN, mailbox, a vendor type thing) without ruining the aesthetic. Palace needs security, right?

BUGS;

• There's a window wall, at least when I went in, that was a bit... ahem... misaligned.
  • The taxi dude isn't working, even after exploring all the areas.

NITPICKS;

• There's a *lot* of hallways and bends that just make some parts (at least on an initial visit) very maze-y... and I don't think we need most of them. Seeing as hallways aren't decorative goldmines anyway, you might want to trim a few of them down a peg. Maybe.
  • After the awesomeness of the great hall, the throne room felt a bit... small?
  • I kinda wish there was more proper summer area in the front, leaving the full-on winter stuff to the higher up lodge area, etc.
  • There are a LOT of windowless rooms and hallways. While I love the wallspace hooks it adds, it does also make some places feel a bit bunkerish.
  • Why can't we walk to the base of those waterfalls we see off the balcony? They're so pretty... tell me there's a cave opening in the waterfall up front that leads us back there, and you're just saving it for when the SH goes live. Please and thank you ^_~
  • HOW is there not a cave behind the front waterfall? Just... how?

Edited by Elssha
Forgot to add that they need to remove the mounting thing.

Here's my Alderaan stronghold review --

THE GOOD

* Epic landscape.

* Lovely snow falling from the sky.

* Plenty of Starship hooks, all of which can convert to other layouts.

* Amazing choice of planets.

* More rug hooks than in previous strongholds.

* Nice, spacious stronghold.

THE BAD

* In front of the castle, remove some of those rock clusters. Add trees instead. (Trees don't have to cling to the cliffs and snowy hills.)

* In front of the castle, by the main door, add Floor hooks, a pair of Large Wall hooks, a Rug hook, and a Ceiling hook. Right now, everyone's entry is going to look identical.

* Add Rug hooks on the staircase landings in front of the castle.

* Add Ceiling hooks to the lower part of the main hall ceiling (to the bottoms of the balconies). The ceiling lights in the main (stained glass window) hall are nifty but 99% of the time won't be seen.

* Mountain Retreat (elevator) doorway in main hall needs a Medium Wall hook above it so that we can place the Elevator holo sign. (NOTE: No stronghold has a hook to place this sign near the elevators! Better solution would be to add Small Hook compatability to this decoration.)

* No rug hook outside Mountain Retreat expansion door in main hall -- all other doors have them.

* No hooks of any kind near exterior doors to Western and Northern Lodgings. These doors must have hooks so we can give hints as to what is inside, and tell these doors apart. Floor and Wall hooks, but Rug would be nice, too. There's not even a place to put an exterior Floor or Wall light, so it must be a dangerous area at night.

* No hooks above interior Lodging doors. Would love to put camera, security laser, light, something here.

* The ruins need Floor hooks.

* The Throne Room intial length of hallway needs to either center the Rug hook, or add a second hook so that it has even/total coverage.

* Would like a handful of small hooks on top of fairly flat boulders/cliff areas to place pets and plants.

* Put a Large hook on the wood platform where you open the killik cave. No hooks is a waste of a lovely view.

* Get rid of the campfire near the wood platform that opens the killik cave. Put a Medium Floor hook there, instead, and we'll add a campfire if we want one. (Unless it does something, but it didn't do anything.)

* Add a couple of Large Floor hooks to the huge snowy area up the hill, across from the waterfall. (Not the first landing, the one higher up.)

* Need hooks near the exterior paths and walkways.

* Killik caves had way too few Floor hooks.

THE UGLY (CRITICAL ISSUES)

* MOST CRITICAL: The decorating interface was acting strange. Every time I placed a decoration in a particular hook type, future clicks on that same type of hook changed the interface to limit me to that specific type of decoration.

For example, I click a Large Floor hook. I place a computer. I click a Medium Floor hook. I place a table. I click another Large Floor hook. Suddenly my interface changes from Category: All and Subcategory: All to the Technology/Computers. The next click to a Medium Floor hook limits me to Furniture/Tables.

I had to keep switching back to All/All every single time I clicked a hook after that. I would prefer to type in the Search box, get the deco I want, and place it in the hook I just clicked, without having to navigate two drop-down menus every single hook change.

* When changing from one area to another (IE: into/out of cave or castle), my companion thinks I'm wounded. Just like when you dismount, he's constantly trying to heal me for no apparent reason. (Thanks for wasting all that kolto, Theron!)

* Supposedly there's a way to adjust the Killiks, but after opening the cave, the kiosk/terminal disappeared and I couldn't find any way to do anything with Killiks.

* Strange rectangles of light coming from the sky all over.

* It is equally windy indoors and out. Remove wind sounds completely from interior spaces.

* I can't get back into the castle through the Mountain Retreat door.

* Main hall has artifacts (stone blocks) that appear or disappear on the upper walls depending on viewing angle.

* Hooks in front of the castle on the stair landings are facing backwards (toward the castle).

* Remove Med droids and Gonks. Give us these assets as decorations we can place anywhere.

* Just inside the interior door that unlocks the Northern Lodging, all room hooks disappear depending on viewing angle.

* Replace fake doors with doors to small rooms.

* I died trying to hop down the rocks to the two far, rear, lower Starship hooks. I wanted to go down and decorate the area. It's easy to place Starships, but if you use an alternate layout, you need to see what you're doing.

* The rooms need generic names. Northern/Western Lodging is fine, but nothing like Guest Quarters, Throne Room, or anything that forces a room to have a particular theme. (Also, please don't display room names on entry.)

* Remove the red rugs inside the castle. Put a Rug hook there or just leave that space bare. They are literally right next to rug hooks. It looks really strange to put our own rugs down -- they usually overlap!

* Pull all existing ceiling light assets and replace with Ceiling hooks.

* Where do I put my Alderaan Grand Chandelier? Factory Ceiling Crane? Gravity Well Generator? We need one huge, high-ceiling room that can be a workshop, factory, starship docking bay, whatever.

Edited by Xina_LA

Sorry for length

I'm really excited about this stronghold and I've wanted one on Alderaan for years. I'm just really worried its going to get messed up like Manaan did. Manaan I was so excited for, and then let down for so many reasons. Please don't do the same with this!

Here is my feedback from what I can tell: I'm not on the test server but I watched a video.

Hooks, def need work.

Killik Caves - way too big. It would be cool to have a smaller one, but that thing is the size of a building nearly, and there is absolutely nothing I want to put in there. It feels like it would be a cool concept, to have a small one. What is there to me feels like a massive waste of space.

Front of the base - agree on way too big, or maybe how the layout is?

So, this is my personal perspective. I'm curious to what others thing as well. One of the major failings to me with Manaan was that there were all these aspects about the planet I loved, the fountains especially. When you are outside, the fountains. When you go meet Lana and Theron, I LOVE the office with the fountain. I love the statues. They make the area what it is. I get the desire to want to allow people to be creative, but making all of the things that I had loved so much item hooks, then making things like the statues centerpiece size instead of medium and large, just killed it for me. It doesn't have the parts I absolutely love so much about it.

More rooms- this is a noble house. This feels to me like it needs to be bigger, like having more luxurious rooms. You want to have the basic rooms on the floor level to use for whatever. I think if you then go up and down you could get really creative.

One thing I LOVED about the new story was the senators quarters. They were absolutely gorgeous and I loved the details.

I love how you guys put in room dividers and the furniture.

https://i.imgur.com/mrbPt4v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ym68eHA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6tvIl65.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rP37Oeu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C8xzMIu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jRA2p8v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PulBjoD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qx2JfUr.jpg

While everything is obviously based on Egyptian styles, the whole way this room has been set up just feels luxurious. I would love to see bedrooms with similar setups. You can't replicate how this looks in a normal stronghold with how things are set up, you just can't.

Back to Alderaan.

So things to me...

I get for some reason you guys like to downsize things. But all these pillars being so tiny look really bad to me. Some are that small yes, but putting them in every corner looks awful. I'd rather have them replicate the real ones.

These patterns are horizontally supposed to be long. Some areas look like they've been shortened and it makes it feel really weird.

https://i.imgur.com/8OUhCSK.jpg

Statues

Statues IMO make or break these places. They're all over Coruscant's Senate, Alderaan, and in some Jedi temples. Yet, they're left completely out. Again, they are in game, but they're stupidly huge. I would LOVE if you just put them in where they are supposed to be. Or somehow made an option to either have the statues there, or place your own object? The current statues are stupidly large and won't fit correctly. They are also a very specific part of the art style. You take them away, you make it unconsciously feel really off.

https://i.imgur.com/8OUhCSK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3Wyx6F9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hxMi1rg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i8N6N5J.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iQnwGyb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z8FHjlL.jpg

Library - I would LOVE to see a library, one already built. That has a curved walls or something like that. We can decorate the rest of it.

Throne room - I agree 100% with the comment that the throne thing ruins the room. I also agree with the other comment suggesting to build a lower area (and/or a higher one like a balcony) that is essentially all windows to see the view. I think having some kind of large lower room that has a 360 view to be used as a meeting room or something would be stunning. It would be neat to have a balcony or small balconies attached to the rooms like Yavin.

I would suggest a special area for both a large meeting room and bedrooms that have the huge clear windows.

https://i.imgur.com/wcopOOE.jpg

Bedrooms

* a few designated decent sized ones

* divider things

* windows

* small balcony w view

Outside-

one of my favorite things about alderaan is the scenery, gardens, and fountains. Please do NOT pull a manaan and toss them.

Look at how beautiful they look, the fountain, statue, and greenery together. I think the pools in the back are cool.

What I would change=

Front has this, exactly this

https://i.imgur.com/76J7QqB.jpg

and these

and either the front or the back

https://i.imgur.com/3Wyx6F9.jpg

Have small gardens in the front, and then in the back, expand it. Use both fountains and the natural greenery. You already have some utterly gorgeous architecture, USE IT

https://i.imgur.com/76J7QqB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z8FHjlL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hxMi1rg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tZEZvMH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HGAZxTj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P4OZMmc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4gBbDUt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J2MV1bi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AI9TXma.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J7dqopT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/S0MZFUb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lS8QgjR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BGY88tH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zO7vTfW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kEWdJ5d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0Ni7OLa.jpg

I would have these beautiful layered gardens and fountains, then have it lead off to a more natural area with the falls. Or even sort of loop them around so they are facing each other.

Those are my personal current thoughts. I hope I've not been boring or too annoying and hope some of these ideas may be considered. <3

Very nice! Different from any other SH, very evocative of Alderaan. A mountain castle is perfect.

The large, even sprawling feel to the place from the outside is great. Inside, the layout works well enough – the Throne Room maybe ought to be larger (I had visions of the Panteer palace throne room), but not a major issue to me.

The hook density is wonderful – I don't think I'm alone when I say you can't have too many hooks! If anything, even more is even better. I've barely touched actual decorating yet, so I don't have a good feel for hooks vs. cap.

Like everyone else says, please let us ride everywhere. And get the taxi/QT system to work.

Like almost everyone else says, the vendors don't need to be there. We've got droids, Felucia, and other options we can put in if & where we want to (that said, more vendor decos would be nice, ha!).

As others have mentioned, a two-story building (like Organa on Alderaan or the Coruscant Senate building) would be nice, but I'm sure that won't happen.

A High Tower, or an overlook balcony (like Tatooine) would have been nice, especially with the fantastic view available!

Side note: I like the Centerpiece hooks with extra hooks built in. Nice touch.

Noble Estate (outside fields):

The starship landing field out front is great. It would be nice to be able to add some cargo, droids, and/or personnel around the ships, though. The aisle between the SS hooks is begging for some Large hooks.

A few hooks in & around the stream for trees, beasts, etc. would liven it up.

No banner hooks on the face of the palace? This would be a perfect place to have at least a few, like Yavin does.

Noble Estate Interior:

The big blank wall as you enter should have at least one hook, if not an array of them.

The 'temple chandelier'-style ceiling lights ought to be replaced with hooks (or, like the one in the Throne Room, just removed). Not a huge deal for me personally, but more options is better (including leaving them dark).

The Throne Room itself? It might be nice to be able to clear the window, but it works fine as is. It'll work either with an actual throne, or turned into a shrine of some kind.

Mountain Retreat:

The starship hooks among the rocks are very nice – but I really want to be able to climb down to them! Whether for detailed decorating as others have said, or for the sheer pleasure of clambering among rocks and whatever we put down there.

Floor hooks in the ruined room would be good. Putting some ruin decos, a campfire & chairs, or some stray killik (or whatever) eggs would add atmosphere & a touch of life.

No external hooks on the lodging walls? Really? (The windows are very cool, though!)

Killik Cave: Nice work! I can understand the folks who wish this wasn't hardwired with killik hives, but it's Alderaan. I think a high-tech base among the eggs 'n' hives will look fine.

I'm so happy I finally have the Alderaan stronghold I've been begging for for years! And I'm happy it's a castle! And I love the wilderness area outside of it you can explore or set up a picnic at! And we haeve the mountain retreat that has even different architecture! And caves and ruins! It's got something of everything.

Noble Estate:

• I wish the throne room had an option to show or hide the throne. I would prefer an unobstructed view out of the window.
  • I wish the throne room did not have the blue jedi crystal light set in the middle in case I want to place other lights that will contrast
  • I wish at least one of the small first-floor estate rooms (study, etc) had a window looking outside so the rooms feel a little less small and claustrophobic.
  • As awesome as the light coming through the stained glass is, a way of turning it off to change the ambiance (hidden toggle when you click on it?) would be nice
  • Please add more rooms and the second balcony level as described below

Mountain Retreat:

• The door that doesn't go anywhere inside the Western lodging is frustrating. If it's not going to lead anywhere, just make it a plain wall panel. or make it connect into a new room.
  • There's a gap in the Northern Lodging window where the bottom of the window is off the ground and blowing all the cold air in.

It feels a little small. As I specify below, there are some points where to me it seems obvious that additional rooms could be added. I understand it's already a solid size, having three different regions. But it's a retreat and an estate, it should be absolutely massive and have a number of smaller rooms as well as the big broad outdoor spaces, so please add more!

I'd like some additional rooms:

• The main hall of the noble estate is clearly designed like House Organa or the Senate on Coruscant. It appears as though there should be a second level we can take stairs up to, so that we can stand up there and view down into the main estate interior. Stairs or a lift should be added to let us go up there.
  • If we get that second level, 4 additional small rooms like the 3 on the ground floor should be added. Perhaps at least one of these could have a window. I like this idea because then the first floor rooms can be for the estate's official business like the study and throne room ; the upstairs could be for a personal home ; and the mountain retreat could be an entirely different area.
  • You could fit one additional door to a small room across from the elevator between the throne and drawing rooms. Instead of being square like the others maybe it could be a long rectangular room, to have a new shape to play with
  • Alternatively, that spot could be where the stairs/lift to upstairs goes.
  • Others have mentioned this but I'd like to be able to make the caves not Killik themed. I understand on Alderaan we expect Killiks, but for flexibility of decorations and RP, I would love to see the ability to have no mounds or eggs or or Killiks inside and make it into a crystal cave for Jedi/Sith, or as ruined buildings or an acropolis like Voss or Tython have, or be able to add a water feature and make it an underground pool/river like part of the Yavin caves
  • The people asking for those big water fountains or garden greenery like seen in Organa territory to come as part of the SH have a great idea
  • Joining in the chorus who'd like to see a couple rooms high up in a tower of the main estate. I want this in addition to the second story of the main hall. A "penthouse apartment" up there with huge windows and a big space to be a personal bedroom, maybe. Or a "viewing tower" with 360 degree windows would be cool. Just have an elevator going to multiple landings to get to all of these.
  • The idea of being able to change wall/floor color combos with a "theme" toggle to swap it from the red/gold to say blue/silver or purple/red like other houses would be really cool
  • I wish we could climb into at least one of the waterfalls without dying.

Edited by Capella

I'm so happy I finally have the Alderaan stronghold I've been begging for for years! And I'm happy it's a castle! And I love the wilderness area outside of it you can explore or set up a picnic at! And we haeve the mountain retreat that has even different architecture! And caves and ruins! It's got something of everything.

Noble Estate:

• I wish the throne room had an option to show or hide the throne. I would prefer an unobstructed view out of the window.
  • I wish the throne room did not have the blue jedi crystal light set in the middle in case I want to place other lights that will contrast
  • I wish at least one of the small first-floor estate rooms (study, etc) had a window looking outside so the rooms feel a little less small and claustrophobic.
  • As awesome as the light coming through the stained glass is, a way of turning it off to change the ambiance (hidden toggle when you click on it?) would be nice
  • Please add more rooms and the second balcony level as described below

Mountain Retreat:

• The door that doesn't go anywhere inside the Western lodging is frustrating. If it's not going to lead anywhere, just make it a plain wall panel. or make it connect into a new room.
  • There's a gap in the Northern Lodging window where the bottom of the window is off the ground and blowing all the cold air in.

It feels a little small. As I specify below, there are some points where to me it seems obvious that additional rooms could be added. I understand it's already a solid size, having three different regions. But it's a retreat and an estate, it should be absolutely massive and have a number of smaller rooms as well as the big broad outdoor spaces, so please add more!

I'd like some additional rooms:

• The main hall of the noble estate is clearly designed like House Organa or the Senate on Coruscant. It appears as though there should be a second level we can take stairs up to, so that we can stand up there and view down into the main estate interior. Stairs or a lift should be added to let us go up there.
  • If we get that second level, 4 additional small rooms like the 3 on the ground floor should be added. Perhaps at least one of these could have a window. I like this idea because then the first floor rooms can be for the estate's official business like the study and throne room ; the upstairs could be for a personal home ; and the mountain retreat could be an entirely different area.
  • You could fit one additional door to a small room across from the elevator between the throne and drawing rooms. Instead of being square like the others maybe it could be a long rectangular room, to have a new shape to play with
  • Alternatively, that spot could be where the stairs/lift to upstairs goes.
  • Others have mentioned this but I'd like to be able to make the caves not Killik themed. I understand on Alderaan we expect Killiks, but for flexibility of decorations and RP, I would love to see the ability to have no mounds or eggs or or Killiks inside and make it into a crystal cave for Jedi/Sith, or as ruined buildings or an acropolis like Voss or Tython have, or be able to add a water feature and make it an underground pool/river like part of the Yavin caves
  • The people asking for those big water fountains or garden greenery like seen in Organa territory to come as part of the SH have a great idea
  • Joining in the chorus who'd like to see a couple rooms high up in a tower of the main estate. I want this in addition to the second story of the main hall. A "penthouse apartment" up there with huge windows and a big space to be a personal bedroom, maybe. Or a "viewing tower" with 360 degree windows would be cool. Just have an elevator going to multiple landings to get to all of these.
  • The idea of being able to change wall/floor color combos with a "theme" toggle to swap it from the red/gold to say blue/silver or purple/red like other houses would be really cool
  • I wish we could climb into at least one of the waterfalls without dying.

YES THIS THIS THIS lots more of this

Let me start by saying this is by far one of the most beautiful and satisfying strongholds in the game. I commend the obvious care that went into this design. Really, it's beautiful!

I do have a few minor suggestions and noticed a couple of issues, though I'm sure they've been reported by this point.

My first suggestion is that you put three medium floor hooks on the dais in the throne room. Some players may want to put two thrones side by side, you know a place for a king and a queen.

Second, I love all the medium narrow hooks along the walls in several of the rooms. Please add some to the smaller rooms as well.

Third, I'm with those asking for some hooks in the ruins. As they are now they're kind of wasted space.

Fourth, add a few hooks outside those big beautiful windows in the mountain retreat. It would be nice to be able to customize those views a bit.

Lastly, I'd love to be able to go to the second floor of the main building. Also, ditch the fake doors.

As others have said, a few more rooms would be cool, but personally, not having they wouldn't ruin the SH for me. They would just be a nice perk.

I don't mind the killik caves being killik-y at all. My main is an imp agent and her lovebug is pretty happy to be able to have a little hive home.

Bugs/mistakes

One of the big windows in the mountain retreat doesn't connect to the floor. It's getting pretty chilly in that room.

Several of the rug hooks, particularly in the window rooms of the mountain retreat, do not actually show the rugs once placed. I've not checked every single rug hook in the stronghold, but more than one of them had this issue.

Really liking the stronghold so far. :)

Some issues:

• The hook for a throne in the Throne Room is off-center. Even moving the throne over doesn't fix this.

• The large window in the Northern Retreat is too high off the ground, leaving the room open to the outside at the bottom of the wall.

• I'm not sure what can be done about this, but this stronghold works my computer harder than Mek-Sha. I normally play with graphics set on Ultra, but Ossus, Dantooine, Onderon, and Mek-Sha really heat up my CPU/rev up the fan. Mek-Sha's fine on Medium, but this stronghold still heats up/revs the fan on my computer.

Edited by neoraFIVE

Big post here, I will try to break it down into easier to manage sections. I'll start with the questions Eric posed.

It's lovely. A variety of areas and motifs. I really appreciate the touches of the balcony, the stained glass window, and the landscapes.

If I can actually get this stronghold I will be over the moon. Mind you, I am currently capped out of new strongholds entirely since the merge and still don't even have Rishi, so please please please address the stronghold cap issue. I guarantee that more people are going to run into this cap with the release of this stronghold. With some people potentially having as many as 35 strongholds after the server merge, it's completely vital that you review the cap and set it to what is actually technically required to not crash performance. Just bumping the cap up to 11 has zero bearing whatsoever on the actual problem.

I like all of the rooms, although some of them need much more revision in the hooks layout than others. I get into that in below hooks suggestions.

It's not too big (or too small) for what it seems to be designed to be, which is a sprawling estate.

That being said, we have often said on these forums that more frequent smaller strongholds would be preferable to very rare large ones. The occasional huge Rishi or Alderaan is great (they're both amazing SHs), but people would be just as happy with smaller single-dwelling apartments and homes released with more regularity.

I mean... all of the hook placement suggestions I mention, for sure. But aside from that... more of those amazing stained glass windows would be lovely.

No, not at all. Remember, it only feels 'cluttered' when you're looking at the hooks as a pattern-making exercise. But the pattern the hooks make is completely irrelevant in terms of aesthetics or density. It is far better to have cluttered density of hooks because that gives us more placement options.

If by this you mean if it feels like there aren't enough hooks to meet that cap, then the answer is no. We can easily meet that cap with the number of hooks available. That being said, in my hooks suggestions below I recommend many places where more hooks would be preferable. So in some respects I would say that it's not the number of hooks you need to worry about, but their placement does need to be addressed.

General Issues

:sy_lightside:We need to be able to mount throughout the whole stronghold. Current areas we get dismounted in are:

• The Killik Grounds cave.
  • Noble Estate Interior and all attached rooms.
  • Both Northern and Western Lodgings.

:sy_lightside:The Northern and Western lodgings seem to be misnamed relative to their positions on the map.

:sy_lightside:REMOVE THE MEDICAL DROIDS. This is not a PVE area, and the entrances to buildings (where the droids are situated) are guaranteed to be locations people will want to decorate to their taste. Medical droids (especially a GNK) do not fit the noble's estate motif and should not be enforced on the scene.

:sy_lightside:The pedestal with curvy light ornament right in your face at the Interior entrance is not centered; the dome part is offset to the viewer's left when viewed head-on.

Hook Suggestions/Issues

(When it comes to the more in depth PTS phase for this SH, I will do this again and in that case I will take the time for screencaps.)

In the Killik Grounds cave:

• Replace the first Large (the one flanked on two sides by three Mediums) with a Centerpiece.
  • Swap the stand-alone Medium Narrows on the interior side of the Larges over to the exterior side of the Larges, since that is where the bigger open space gap is.
  • Remove every single stand-alone Small green hook in this cave and replace it with a Medium Narrow. Enforced stand-alone greens are completely awful in any space where a larger hook would fit. Remember that we can break a Medium Narrow down into two Smalls if we want to.
  • If you need to open up more hooks in this SH for performance reasons, I would suggest taking out some of the Mediums in the back corner turn of this cave (the west side curve), as this is a very unusual space that won't lend itself well to being so densely packed with decos; if you were to have about half of those Mediums and just space them out a bit you could open up more hooks to use elsewhere.
  • We need some hooks in the top North nook of the cave. It feels like a destination, and right now we can't do anything with it at all. A Medium up there and preferably a couple Medium Narrows along the way up that passage would be good.

In the Noble Estate exterior section:

• When you go up the path to the campfire to the terminal for opening the cave, the hooks here are a grid of enforced stand-alone Mediums in a large space. This needs to be a Large hook with Mediums around it wherever they'll fit. A couple Mediums along the path by the trees, if the terrain level allows, would also be great to allow us to put torches or lamps along the way.
  • In the middle area of the Noble Estate exterior (just south of the Interior entrance and in the middle of the map) there's another large section of enforced stand-alone Mediums. Enforced smaller hooks where larger ones would fit is always terrible. Transform every 4x4 Medium grid into Large hooks. You can leave the spacing of the remaining stand-alone Mediums a little distant from the Larges, that's a good thing.
  • In the same area as the above point, at the end of that little passage/rise, put a Medium hook right at the ending cul-de-sac.
  • I would suggest putting a few hooks out in the water of many of the major water spaces of the exterior. Torches, statues, and especially animals (both deco and mount) would look great out in the water.
  • I would also suggest putting some hooks right adjacent to many of those water bodies. Again, if you're using this space for animals, what's more natural than animals getting a drink at the edge of the water?
  • I suggest putting a Medium Narrow hook at the curve of each new staircase banister leading up to the entrance. Those are key spots for putting things like banners or lights.
  • There are no hooks on the entrance platform where the quick travel, cinematic terminal, and medical droid are. This area absolutely needs some hooks.

In the Noble Estate Interior:

• There are no hooks on the wall right over the central pedestal at the entrance door (the pedestal and wall you are facing as you walk in the front door). I can't think of a more critical place to advertise with a banner or light the theme of the place you're entering. We must get a Large wall hook here.
  • On the inside wall section of the entry-way circle, there are two separated Large wall hooks. This is bad. Please make this a side-by-side locked grid of two Larges, the kind that can be broken down into one central Large with periphery or a grid of four Mediums (you use this other hook template all over this room). It's vital that we be able to CENTER banners in spaces like these, which we cannot do when Larges are enforced separate. (This is a serious problem in other SHs as well, particularly the guild flagships.)
  • In this same entryway circle, put some Medium Narrows along the walls on that interior side.
  • Every single instance of enforced separate side-by-side Small hooks in this room needs to be converted into a Medium Narrow. Every one. Enforced single Smalls are universally terrible in any space that can accommodate something larger. You see this sin repeated all over this central Interior room. The following are just some examples of where, but someone needs to take the time to check every standalone small for this issue, I can't emphasize how limiting and frustrating this is (and we've been calling it out since Manaan!!!) Some example locations: To the sides of doorways, on top of wall pedestals, the rows in the center of the room both in the window reflection and branching off of the wall pillars, the T shapes at the back of the room, and the 4x4 grids.
  • The back (west) wall of the Interior hall... we MUST be able to CENTER something on this wall. Please, please always consider that in big spaces like this. You need to change this whole wall into three side-by-side Large wall hook templates, like those used on the side walls (the kind that break down). By doing this you'll have the same amount of 6 Large hooks total, except that now you could CENTER things.
  • If you need to clear up hooks to add them in other locations, I recommend removing the Large hooks that are highest up on the walls by the ceiling of the Interior hall. Any decos placed up there will be almost indistinguishable and no lights will cast their effect that far. Keeping the hooks in the arches is good, but those higher up are unnecessary and you could make better use of limited hooks elsewhere.
  • Add ceiling hooks to the mall ceiling sections running the wall length of the Interior hall. Creating pools of light or spotlights in these segments would help us customize this room.

Drawing Room

• Every single enforced stand-alone Small green on the floor needs to be converted to a series of Medium Narrows.
  • The grids of 4x4 enforced Smalls on the South wall need to be converted to a Medium wall hook.

Throne Room

• We badly need floor hooks in the corridors leading to the Throne Room. Medium Narrows along the walls, please, aligned with the Large wall hooks. I understand there's a raised floor-lip border in all of the corridors in this SH, but it's still preferable to give us hooks here even if the decos would clip into that asset. We can still use those hooks to offset so that decos sit in front of the lip, or we might *want* to embed some things into the lip.
  • Also in the corridors leading to the Throne Room, it looks like there's supposed to be a second Flooring hook that's missing in both corridor stretches.
  • In the Northeast corner turn/square, you can save some hooks by just eliminating those 3 enforced stand-alone Small floor hooks, they're pointless, we can make smalls by breaking down the Mediums. Or just convert this into a single Medium Narrow.
  • In the Throne Room itself, on the North wall the second 'pillar' of Small hooks is missing its top two hooks.
  • In the Throne Room itself, please make the Medium hook on the dais a Large. It's fine if this Large hook overhangs the edges of the platform, because the key here is that you have released many throne arrangement decos in this game and they are all locked to LARGE hooks. We can move them about and clip them into the back wall as we desire (and some of them are smaller than the space despite being locked to Large hooks), but the point is that restricting us to a Medium here prevents us from using most of the decos you've released that would fit in this setting.
  • In the Throne Room itself, again on the dais, keep the two Small floor hooks at the front, but change those two Small hooks in the back into Medium Narrows (or Mediums if they'll fit after you've added a Large). Most torches or plants statue decorations won't fit on Smalls, they require Medium Narrows or Mediums, and those are going to be the most likely candidates for this space.
  • In the Throne Room itself, on the West wall, please add some wall hooks in that top section of wall.
  • In the Throne Room, on the ceiling, it would be preferable to give us freedom to pick our light fixture in the key central area of ceiling. Currently that is being blocked by a built in asset.

Balcony Overlook

• The North archway, right above the entrance door to this area, needs a Small wall hook.
  • This whole corridor needs a couple Medium Narrows along the walls.
  • The stairs in the lower (running east-west) corridor needs a Medium wall hook on each side. That's the darkest stretch of corridor and an ideal place for us to put lights or wall art.
  • Every single instance of enforced stand-alone side-by-side Small floor hooks needs to be converted to a Medium Narrow. There are six instances of this on this balcony alone.

Study

• The whole row of enforced Small floor hooks in the center of this room needs to be converted into a row of Medium Narrows.

Guest Chambers

• The whole row of enforced Small floor hooks in the center of this room needs to be converted into a row of Medium Narrows.
  • The grids of 4x4 enforced Smalls on the North wall need to be converted to a Medium wall hook.

Mountain Retreat

• By the North entrance to this area, add a Medium to each side of the door.
  • Add Medium wall hooks to the center of each wall section in the area of staired levels leading to the central courtyard space.
  • If you need to open up hooks, I would suggest changing the row of 3 Medium floor hooks at the top of each of the above-mentioned half-wall sections and just making those two more spaced out Mediums. It's good to have hooks there, but this isn't so critical an area that it should deprive us of having more hooks in a lot of the barren open spaces deeper in.
  • More Centerpiece hooks available in the big, barren open space in the center here are needed.
  • The ruins in the Southeast: I strongly recommend that you pretty much halve the amount of wall hooks and use that hook allotment to add floor hooks all throughout the interior. Ruined walls don't need this many spaces, why would we need a thousand banners or lights here on half-collapsed walls? But this space absolutely begs for ruined statues and artifacts on the floor.

Western Lodging

• The corridors here need Medium Narrows along the walls wherever you can make them fit with the asset architecture. especially under any windows.
  • The door connecting Eastern to Northern lodgings, in the Eastern zone: this one needs a hook in the archway space over the door.
  • Please give a cookie to whoever laid the hooks for the main room of the Western Lodging, THIS is how good hook coverage should look!! No enforced Smalls where something bigger could fit. Multiple options for Flooring hooks. Solid coverage. Medium wall hooks wherever they can be smushed in. If it's the same person who did this room as all the rest, please point out that THIS room is an example of their better work. If it's a different person, please have THIS person give guidance to everyone else or do a pass of the other rooms.

Northern Lodging

• The second pair of 'facing' pedestals in the corridor, the wall hooks across from each other need to be closer to a match. Here there's a wall space that looks like it's missing a Large hook, for example.
  • The corridor intersection (adjoining the room on the North side) needs to have a Large floor hook right under the Flooring hook. This is a perfect spot for something like a statue or a fountain.
  • North room in the Northern Lodging wing: The whole row of enforced Small floor hooks in the center of this room needs to be converted into a row of Medium Narrows.
  • We have no ceiling hook options in this room. I would suggest removing the built in chandelier asset and giving us a central ceiling hook space instead.
  • South room in the Northern Lodging wing: The Small floor hooks to either side of the door should be Medium Narrows, and this room is also entirely missing ceiling hooks.

Edited by JediBoadicea

PLEASE DO NOT REDUCE THE OVERALL LAND SIZE of the ESTATE!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

PLEASE KEEP the OVERALL AREA of LANDMASS and SCALE of the "greensward" lawn THE SAME!

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS "SMALLER" like other people want! PLEASE DON'T! :(

LEAVE IT GIGANTIC PLEASE!!!!

agreed overall land size is perfect for larger guild who like opens spaces to use as they see fit. The SH just needs a few more small rooms and 3 larger rooms.

PLEASE DO NOT REDUCE THE OVERALL LAND SIZE of the ESTATE!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

PLEASE KEEP the OVERALL AREA of LANDMASS and SCALE of the "greensward" lawn THE SAME!

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS "SMALLER" like other people want! PLEASE DON'T! :(

LEAVE IT GIGANTIC PLEASE!!!!

I doubt they will reduce the size since it is pretty much finished except for some minor changes. I would think the next stronghold would be smaller and that would be good for some, just don't think it will be Alderaan as the planet itself has castles, not small houses. I have wanted a Alderaan castle since the beginning and have waited for years.

here are my initial thoughts:

I love it, nice atmosphere, very Alderaanian

LIKE: the northern & western Lodging rooms - HUGE windows are awesome; throne room is also very nice

DON'T LIKE: the small rooms adjacent to the main hall - no window, they feel like luxurious prison cells

the size is very ok for me

only one thing?! :p

the throne room should have a DOOR

more windows - especially in the 3 small rooms off the main (glass window) hall

one should be able to MOUNT EVERYWHERE

get rid of the functionless door to nowhere in the mountain retreat

the howling wind shouldn't be heard when you are INSIDE (otherwise I would demand a serious discount) ^^

the main noble estate should have a second floor with nice stairs

a teensy tiny little bit, yes - inside ... but not outside, there, there are not enough hooks imo (outside of the retreat for example there is a huge empty space with no hooks at all - picture

I am no hook expert - so apart from the above mentioned - no comment

first: thank you - that SH overall looks awesome!

I don't really see the sense in the cave though - someone suggested to be able to toggle it into a crystal cave, that would be more to my liking too...

the ruin by the mountain retreat is a missed opportunity imo - here someone suggested that stairs should lead down to another area...

oh, and did I mention MORE WINDOWS? I mean that view is spectacular!