What's going on with this forum today?

A good place to check is the Developer Tracker. That is the once section of the forum I cannot get to load whatsoever.

Part of the problem may be related to redirects. Attempting to go from the Main Page directly to a featured thread (i.e. last post made by) does not work. First, you have to go from the main page to the sub-category (in this case, General Discussion), and then to the individual thread you're trying to reach.

After posting, the website is unable to redirect me to the thread I was at. Refreshing doesn't work. Clicking back once doesn't work. You have to look at history and go back to the sub-category page again. Several times, my post isn't even allowed to post ("can't reach swtor.com" as if there were no internet, except there is. Refreshing brings the page up, but no post.).

Another possibility is that this only happens on pages marked as "Not Secure" by my browser. I enabled the loading of scripts and redirects, etc. in the browser, but it didn't change a thing. I am using Avast antivirus, in case it's related to that. I am using the Avast browser. I will check using Microsoft Edge to test.

P.S. Now I'm going to copy this post before posting, because I'm sure it won't register, lol.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this one day last week until I used Ctrl+F5 to refresh my cache. Since then no troubles. Nothing today anyway.

I did that. I also flushed DNS. Since yesterday morning I'm also getting very sporadic successful loads of forum pages (also the login page today). Maybe one out of 10 tries it works, and then it will work for 3 or 4 or 5 things, and then have trouble again.

Usually it hangs and eventually times out. I've also seen the "site under maintenance" page, and really old versions of the PvP forum main page - which is odd, since I cleared all my cache so it should not be loading cached versions in by browser. I've also seen "internal server error" message - usually (maybe always?) when I try to post something and it fails then.

Also restarted my computer and my phone (my internet is through my phone), and the problem persists. And I've tried it with 3 different browsers, IE, IceDragon and Chrome. They all do it (even though I've never used IE or Chrome to visit here before).

Just more info I guess...

I just got the internal server error again when trying to post. In case this is useful, it says:

Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Reference #3.b6211f45.1557253930.12c4c3cc

You know what's weird? I changed my shortcut a while back to use the https because I got tired of Chrome always showing Not secure in the address bar. And today, now that you're all talking about the https I notice I'm Not secure again. So even though I'm using the secure shortcut I'm being directed to non secure.

EDIT: I just closed and reopened and now I'm back to secure. Something wonky is definitely going on.

EDIT 2: After editing the post I'm back to not secure again. Strange things happening here. Just reading another thread using the Go to first new post arrow puts me back into non secure site. WTH?

Edited by kodrac

Hey folks,

We were getting a few sporadic reports of this late yesterday as well but weren't able to reproduce it on our side. I am going to send the details from this thread over to the team now and see if we can determine if / where there is an issue.

Thanks!

-eric

It's still happening. Took me two tries to log on tonight and a guildie hasn't been able to log on since last week. But, since he can't log on, he can't report it.

Still Bad

"SWTOR.com is temporarily unavailable as we are experiencing extremely high traffic. Please check back again soon, or visit our Twitter account for details!"

I really didn't think these forums have been this active lately, never was before.

EDIT 2: After editing the post I'm back to not secure again. Strange things happening here. Just reading another thread using the Go to first new post arrow puts me back into non secure site. WTH?

For now, you can try to manually force HTTPS through the HTTPS everywhere extension for Chrome. Some non-secure elements on the site can get wonky, but otherwise, it worked fine for me since I set it up.

Edited by Arkamos-Aurelius

If it's any help, I can provide the following information;

I'm encountering the 'maintenance' problem with the main website page. If I just try to type in 'www.swtor.com' or use my bookmarked link, which has the same address, I receive the maintenance notice page. However, if I specifically type in 'https://www.swtor.com', the main website allows me to access it and all other pages - forums included - without problem.

Hope that helps either the web team find the problem or anyone else bypass it...

This works but when I then want to login to account management I keeps loading again.

https isn't enough to get me into the account section of the website. I was hoping to check my subscription status.

Tried to login and logout several times into the account section of the site, and every time I could do so (with forced HTTPS). There was a slight hitch once, but it didn't last more than several seconds.

(But, honestly, I'm of the mind that the devs should let the players see the number of the days left in game somewhere. I nearly missed the time for sub renewal once or twice.)

The team tried a few solutions yesterday but it looks like the issues are still occurring across swtor.com. Just know that the investigation is on-going, I will pass on more details as I have them.

-eric

Good deal. Thank you for the update, Eric Musco. I've experienced similar problems already mentioned in this thread. Most annoying: swtor.com pages will not load at all. Weirdest: page loaded with a mix of German and English language, even though I was trying to log on to the English language forums. Parts of the page was in English, the "page X of X" was in German. The SWTOR header was a mix of English and German, i.e., this part https://imgur.com/4Goh74V. This was not a case of a player making a post using German in the English forums. The mixed up languages were part of swtor.com, not the post.

The team tried a few solutions yesterday but it looks like the issues are still occurring across swtor.com. Just know that the investigation is on-going, I will pass on more details as I have them.

-eric

Good, it wasn't working for me yesterday but today things seem to be fine.

-eric

Thanks Eric, appreciate the update.

It feels like an IP-range that has been blocked. I can access the forum from home without issue, but I get the maintenance page at work (and I am the IT guys, so no I haven't blocked the forum :p)

I think you're on to something. There's something up with the sites redirects. Like an address or a route was changed in one place but... well, non technical saying,; someone didn't get the memo. Yesterday if I used the Go to last new post arrow I would be directed to the non secure version of the site. Today it just spins and goes nowhere. I'm guessing when I click Submit Reply I'll either end up redirected to the non secure version or it'll take a long time to load, if at all.

EDIT: After hitting submit it just hangs on redirecting. It posted but I had to open a new tab and use my bookmark again to see it. The original tab is still trying to redirect. It looks they changed some addressing and broke redirecting in the process.

Posting is a real ***** today.

Edited by kodrac

It feels like an IP-range that has been blocked. I can access the forum from home without issue, but I get the maintenance page at work (and I am the IT guys, so no I haven't blocked the forum :p)

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I had issues when trying to get on the site using my phone's hotspot when I was travelling yesterday (no I wasn't driving) in the morning (~10 AM CST) and evening (~5 PM CST). I was at the zoo so I didn't try getting on during the day. When I got home I wasn't able to get on still. But later I could get to the site again. When I can't will say that the site can't be reached. That it's not responding. I'm on my hotspot as of this post, and I wasn't able to a couple hours ago, but now I can. Long enough to post this at least. I'm using Chrome.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

The team believes they have addressed the issue. Can you take a crack at browsing the site and see if any of you are still experiencing the same issues? Keep in mind if you were in a bad state it could require some cache clearing, etc.

Thanks!

-eric