Tank Shielding Changes Coming in 5.9.2

EricMusco

I wouldn't bother looking either. Everything Grxsr has posted around here is garbled nonsense.

Coming from the guy that say's PowerTech had never been nerf:D:D…

:D:D don't like my threads.. don't read them:D:D don't reply:D:D You the only intelligent being on this forums who's desperately seeking my attention :):cool::D

I don't care what you write or in which direction your synapses are firing:p I only reply to you went I'm bored of you constantly seeking my undivided attention.

Seriously I don't care what you write. We only talking because you always reading what I write and constantly replying.. You the only one... so congratulations! you the smartest guy in the forums:D:D

Edited by Grxsr

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this apply to internal (DOT) Damage as well? It would be nice if Defense Rating would counter these effects by adding resistance to them. If defense chance is 30% and you also got a 30% resistance to the abilities it would be nice. Either that or simply use the stance for a flat resistance.

I would assume it means ALL crit including internal dot damage.

So are you also asking if defense rating will or could have an additional damage reduction? Does defense do this, or not, I want to know lol.

I would assume it means ALL crit including internal dot damage.

I would think it only applies to crits that could actually be shielded if they were none crits before. Dots have never been shieldable, crit or not, so I don't think this will change with 5.9.2

I would think it only applies to crits that could actually be shielded if they were none crits before. Dots have never been shieldable, crit or not, so I don't think this will change with 5.9.2

I assumed this as well, crits that could be shielded would be crits of shieldable damage types. Is anyone on pts that can verify?

I see, well that's probably the case then. If dots were never shielded before then I highly doubt the devs would make them shieldable now let alone the crits from dots.

Not exactly accurate. I/E is non-shieldable and will probably stay that way (so thundering blast is a tank-buster, for example), and most DoTs are I/E and that is the reason they are non shieldable. But DoTs which are not I/E (and I think that the sniper's shock probe is an example to that) are shieldable even now and their crit's will therefore be shieldable after the patch.

Not exactly accurate. I/E is non-shieldable and will probably stay that way (so thundering blast is a tank-buster, for example), and most DoTs are I/E and that is the reason they are non shieldable. But DoTs which are not I/E (and I think that the sniper's shock probe is an example to that) are shieldable even now and their crit's will therefore be shieldable after the patch.

So that being said, do you think these shielding changes will give tanks noticeable survivability compared to now?

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Quick heads up, this change will not be happening for 5.9.2. It is still something we would like to do in a future update (likely 5.9.3) but there are some critical bugs we discovered which prevent it from being introduced in this patch.

I will pass on more info as I have it, thanks everyone.

-eric

Hey folks,

Quick heads up, this change will not be happening for 5.9.2. It is still something we would like to do in a future update (likely 5.9.3) but there are some critical bugs we discovered which prevent it from being introduced in this patch.

-eric

Greeeaaat. I directed all my mats (which got farmed in the nice and slow conquest method in order not to ruin ranked) to my tank as soon as I heard about this, and now I get to shelve it for one more patch.

At least thanks for the heads up, but how long of a time period are we talking about between 5.9.2 and 5.9.3?

So that being said, do you think these shielding changes will give tanks noticeable survivability compared to now?

Definitely versus burst specs and globalization which heavily rely on the high hits of the crits (imagine yourself trying to global someone while he is hardstunned for 4s but all your hits don't crit. It mostly will fail), so if some of the crits get shielded in the globalization attempt, it makes it even more unlikely to kill the tank. It will be far less effective versus DoT specs (or specifically lighting sorcs who have an internal auto-crit very often). That would give more purpose to the DoT specs, which might bring some dead specs from the grave and change the meta a bit.

Sadly it seems we need to wait longer for that to happen :(

When are you going to NERF GUARDIAN TANKS they are destroying Shadows and VG ranked PVP now? I used to love playing VG tank in pvp now its a complete waste of time to even que you just get destroyed by Guardian tanks!

Shadow tanks are fine, the force speed DR is good and they are the class with the most "cheese". Guardians are the face tank class, we're slow and have lots of DCDs to play with.

VGs need a DCD. Especially after the damage nerfs. Frankly the "passive mitigation" simply isnt as effective as well timed DCDs.

Since guardian and shadow are similar actual tank-eise, assuming both are well played, I would think bringing VG survivability to a more reasonable level (or making it more active, if they feel simply adding a DCD js op. For whatever record, I don't think it would).

Greeeaaat. I directed all my mats (which got farmed in the nice and slow conquest method in order not to ruin ranked) to my tank as soon as I heard about this, and now I get to shelve it for one more patch.

At least thanks for the heads up, but how long of a time period are we talking about between 5.9.2 and 5.9.3?

but dps gear will still be better

I disagree there. I think the damage dealt difference you gain from DPS stats is less than the damage reduction difference you would gain from shield+absorb. At least for objective PVP a defensive tank is better than a more pressuring tank, and in arenas, the "focus tank" tactic won't work anymore, and a good tank who can guard swap very well would not just be burnt through.

I disagree there. I think the damage dealt difference you gain from DPS stats is less than the damage reduction difference you would gain from shield+absorb. At least for objective PVP a defensive tank is better than a more pressuring tank, and in arenas, the "focus tank" tactic won't work anymore, and a good tank who can guard swap very well would not just be burnt through.

To the hammers in this game, all problems appear to be nails.

Anyway, I'll be going to actual tank also, minus defense as much as possible anyway. As objective based PvPers we see things very differently than those who play a format where killing first is all that matters.

cough I mean, glory to the ranked overlords who know everything!

This bums me out. This was a huge appeal of 5.9.2 for me. I was looking forward to queueing up with my tanks. Looks like I'll have to wait a few months.

Would you rather have the dps specs that do lots of white damage (Carnage, Engineering, Lethality) lose almost half their damage for a few months? (On the pts, any opponent absorbed white damage unless it was a crit).

Edited by Mubrak

I hope this is wrong, or at least the change makes it so a defensive tank is equal to a dps tank.

That would be fine too, then you got choices and one wouldn't be superior over the other. People will always pick the one that is more powerful, so if they ended up fairly equal in performance that would be best.

Hey folks,

-eric

Literally critical bugs :rak_03:

Would you rather have the dps specs that do lots of white damage (Carnage, Engineering, Lethality) lose almost half their damage for a few months? (On the pts, any opponent absorbed white damage unless it was a crit).

Oh no don’t get me wrong, I totally think that bug is a no-go. I understand WHY they had to delay this change. I’m just sad that they could not fix the bug in time for August 7, even with four working days to go before the patch at the time of Eric’s post.

I hope this is wrong, or at least the change makes it so a defensive tank is equal to a dps tank.

That would be fine too, then you got choices and one wouldn't be superior over the other. People will always pick the one that is more powerful, so if they ended up fairly equal in performance that would be best.

Tanks in dps were already tanky without mit gearing. Why would making mit gear slightly more tanky remove the massive benefit to dps gear has? It won’t.