Conquest Feedback and Upcoming Changes

EricMusco

The intent with Conquest is to entice players to do more things in the game. Farming Warzones was viable in Old Conquest, it's really kind of not now. I agree that there should be an infinitely repeatable objective for winning Warzones like there used to be in every Conquest, and would also like to see Warzone Weeklies worth points with every Conquest, if not necessarily every time you win ten matches on a toon. Personally, I think 20 matches would be fine for capping Conquest solely doing Warzones, and that BioWare should make that possible.

In the meantime, however, it's not. You and your guild need to decide whether you want to participate in Conquest, or do absolutely nothing in the game other than Warzones. We'll have to wait and see what objectives BioWare is adding in 5.9, and perhaps whether they'll tweak existing point values or move existing PvP objectives around.

We'll also have to wait and see if adding mats worth millions of credits to Medium/Large yield rewards will get larger guilds to back off on smaller targets. Personally, I don't think small/less-active guilds should take the title. If the #1 guild on a Small Yield target has 549,999 points, though, that still qualifies them for 'small' as far as Conquest is concerned - but no, complaining because you can 'only' put up 200-250k points and not get the chievo/title is just silly.

As far as encryptions themselves go, again, we'll have to wait and see how 5.9 will change the viability of scoring on alts. Or, in the meantime, you can actually go around defeating planetary commanders (unnamed commanders can be soloed, named ones I'd recommend at least a group of four - in both cases, you really want 8-12 since they drop up to that many encryptions). You can just set aside an hour or two per week and get a decent amount of encryptions if you're doing like my guild does and bringing groups of 8-12 members down on 3-5 commanders (24-60 encryptions, plus occasional frameworks that are of course worth 50 apiece).

I did every one off thing except 2 of them so we did go after a commander.

I also deeply resent being told how i should play. Conquest should reward all types of players. Not bottleneck us into what they want so they can go claim how amazing they are.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also deeply resent being told how i should play. Conquest should reward all types of players. Not bottleneck us into what they want so they can go claim how amazing they are.

That's the thing - they don't want to "bottleneck" players, but they also don't want players to "bottleneck" themselves. Whether or not you or I agree with that philosophy, that's what BioWare is going for - diversity in content that the players participate in.

That's the thing - they don't want to "bottleneck" players, but they also don't want players to "bottleneck" themselves. Whether or not you or I agree with that philosophy, that's what BioWare is going for - diversity in content that the players participate in.

This will be fine, when they start paying my sub. As long as it's me paying it, I'm gonna play how I want to play (within the bounds of the rules and the ToS, etc) and if I don't want to be forced to do content I won't. Although, what's funny is that I'm the type of player that pretty much plays all types of content available (except for GSF really) and I STILL find the notion unappealing and not something I will submit myself to by their hand.

If them trying to force us to play different parts of the game then ruins conquest, I'll just quit doing conquest (and I have).

If I find that since conquest was one of the only things I logged in to repeat old content for is ruined enough (and remains so for me) that I don't play as much and start playing other games (which I have), then I will eventually quit paying my sub entirely.

But as I said elsewhere, perhaps that is the fatal flaw in playing this game since launch. This game isn't for me anymore, it's for those who haven't done everything to death yet. The old conquest system kept me engaged despite the "doing it to death" factor. The new system does not. At all. It is too much work and not enough fun quotient. Nothing they have added in 5.8a has changed that. I'm doubtful about 5.9, but we'll see.

Edited by PennyAnn

It should be the players choice if they want to "bottleneck" their play.

There are those that want to play solo, and have alts. They've created their personal guilds for their solo adventuring. Who are you, or anyone else, to say they're wrong in how they play the game if you're not paying their subscription? Who do BW think they are to try to micromanage, and determine, how a person plays the game?

Sure there should be parameters, but those parameters need to be very broad to attract the most customers. By narrowing those parameters, their narrowing their player base. Narrowing their player base is costing them money. Cut into Big Daddy's pockets and sooner or later some heads are gonna roll.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

It should be the players choice if they want to "bottleneck" their play.

There are those that want to play solo, and have alts. They've created their personal guilds for their solo adventuring. Who are you, or anyone else, to say they're wrong in how they play the game if you're not paying their subscription? Who do BW think they are to try to micromanage, and determine, how a person plays the game?

Sure there should be parameters, but those parameters need to be very broad to attract the most customers. By narrowing those parameters, their narrowing their player base. Narrowing their player base is costing them money. Cut into Big Daddy's pockets and sooner or later some heads are gonna roll.

I never said I agreed with the philosophy, and actually implied the opposite. If you don't stop mis-reading my posts, I'm just going to have to stop engaging with you entirely (which I'm sure breaks your heart). Second time you've done it in as many days, and it gets irksome :rolleyes:

And they have a stated goal of widening those parameters in 5.9. All we can do for now is wait and see what they come up with.

Edited by masterceil

Hear! Hear!

I think that's the problem that folks are running into. CQ used to be about playing your way and still being able to help your guild. Now? That's gone.

You have to look at this huge list of things that you have to do- a lot of which you can't if you're in a small guild that only has a few folks on at a time and/or are a more solo orientated player and that is preventing a lot of them from being able to hit their goals. Some folks just cannot log in daily, I'm sorry but, they just can't and, those are usually the more solo-orientated players who are mostly in? Yep, small guilds.

That's a whole hunk of folks that just got told F.U.

Edited by Dallayna

I guess the bright side is that I am getting more done around the house since I am spending less time in game in a week than I was in a day before they changed conquest. Since conquest is no longer obtainable for our guild, I can just do it on one toon for the personal rewards and only play when i'm in the mood. Edited by Suprderk

I never said I agreed with the philosophy, and actually implied the opposite. If you don't stop mis-reading my posts, I'm just going to have to stop engaging with you entirely (which I'm sure breaks your heart). Second time you've done it in as many days, and it gets irksome :rolleyes:

And they have a stated goal of widening those parameters in 5.9. All we can do for now is wait and see what they come up with.

Now you're the one misreading my post. My response isn't disagreeing with what you said. The disagreement is with their philosophy and their way of going about their "fixes."

Edit: I guess my putting that "Who are you..." is what made it sound personal. It was supposed to be "You" in the general sense.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

Here's a thought ...

Ever since 5.4, they've tried forcing everyone into "group" content

Stop that - you're punishing people that like to play solo, or with one or two others, at most ... you've also made conquest VERY alt-unfriendly.

I'm not going to use the broken group finder activity junk thing whatever it is .... I have NO interest in trying run an Operation with 6 or 7 people I don't know from a hole in the ground, and could care less about ...

STOP trying to force group participation - you're killing half the playerbase

I don't give a rip about PvP, GSF, or any other similar type content - why are you punishing me and the other players like me?

Here's a thought ...

Ever since 5.4, they've tried forcing everyone into "group" content

Stop that - you're punishing people that like to play solo, or with one or two others, at most ... you've also made conquest VERY alt-unfriendly.

I'm not going to use the broken group finder activity junk thing whatever it is .... I have NO interest in trying run an Operation with 6 or 7 people I don't know from a hole in the ground, and could care less about ...

STOP trying to force group participation - you're killing half the playerbase

I don't give a rip about PvP, GSF, or any other similar type content - why are you punishing me and the other players like me?

IKR?!

When they originally put out CQ, it was supposed to be solo-friendly, a way for folks who liked to solo or could only play on weekends to help out their guild. Now, they just got the middle finger.

Worst part is that there's honest-to-goodness REAL rewards that folks with jobs and lives would really love but they'll never hope to get- like an instant Influence Rank 50 for their companion or decos for their SHs.

I mean, talk about a nice F.U. to solo/small team players in small guilds.

Frankly, at this point, I'm coming to the conclusion that the "new direction" that the game is going in is hardcore, big guild only and as far as they're concerned, everyone else can go play something that's else.

I had a little encounter on Fleet last night that sums up what is wrong with current conquest system, Bioware's childish insistence on maintaining legacy lockouts from content, and so on:

Ops PUG leader: LF 1 tank, 1 heal DP GF

Me (on newly 70 DPS vanguard, no tank gear yet): Fake tank LF DP

Ops PUG leader: We need only a tank and healer, sorry

Me (I know DP can be fake tanked, but didn't push it): Well, I could log to a healer and help you out, but because Bioware fo0ked up the conquest system, I need to do the GF on this character and this character only.

Bystanders on Fleet: ikr, LOL

I had no incentive to switch to a healer to help get an op going--even though I would have otherwise been perfectly capable of and eager to heal it--because the conquest points would have been once only on the wrong character if I alted. Worse, I wouldn't have been able to come back later and earn them on the character that did need that source of points.

And this is why legacy lockouts on points need to go away. Bioware said in the recent interview they were going to double down and try to skate with adding more one-off sources of points. Well I hope the one-off sources of points increase by seven or eight times so we can play alts. But as last night on fleet showed, even then, having to micromanage which alt gets which points when, instead of simply playing the game, is going to be an unholy nightmare. I have to manage enough stuff at work, Bioware expects me to come home and micromanage conquest appointments for two dozen characters in Google Calendars too?

EDIT: The situation seems to be repeating itself verbatim tonight. I log in and see instant "LF 1 healer GF op," and I have healers who I would be willing to use, but for the fact that I need the points on a character that is not a healer, and would be unable to earn those points if I alted heals first and came back later.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk

I had a little encounter on Fleet last night that sums up what is wrong with current conquest system, Bioware's childish insistence on maintaining legacy lockouts from content, and so on:

Ops PUG leader: LF 1 tank, 1 heal DP GF

Me (on newly 70 DPS vanguard, no tank gear yet): Fake tank LF DP

Ops PUG leader: We need only a tank and healer, sorry

Me (I know DP can be fake tanked, but didn't push it): Well, I could log to a healer and help you out, but because Bioware fo0ked up the conquest system, I need to do the GF on this character and this character only.

Bystanders on Fleet: ikr, LOL

I had no incentive to switch to a healer to help get an op going--even though I would have otherwise been perfectly capable of and eager to heal it--because the conquest points would have been once only on the wrong character if I alted. Worse, I wouldn't have been able to come back later and earn them on the character that did need that source of points.

And this is why legacy lockouts on points need to go away. Bioware said in the recent interview they were going to double down and try to skate with adding more one-off sources of points. Well I hope the one-off sources of points increase by seven or eight times so we can play alts. But as last night on fleet showed, even then, having to micromanage which alt gets which points when, instead of simply playing the game, is going to be an unholy nightmare. I have to manage enough stuff at work, Bioware expects me to come home and micromanage conquest appointments for two dozen characters in Google Calendars too?

EDIT: The situation seems to be repeating itself verbatim tonight. I log in and see instant "LF 1 healer GF op," and I have healers who I would be willing to use, but for the fact that I need the points on a character that is not a healer, and would be unable to earn those points if I alted heals first and came back later.

This is a really valid point and the first time of heard it.

I think you should probably do what I do when I want Bioware to actually see my constructive feed back in a thread full of beige posts. Add some colour to your post and bold it too, I use this cause it stands out the best

Honestly this is such an important point that it probably deserves its own thread because I doubt Bioware are even reading this one anymore.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

This is a really valid point and the first time of heard it.

I think you should probably do what I do when I want Bioware to actually see my constructive feed back in a thread full of beige posts. Add some colour to your post and bold it too, I use this cause it stands out the best

Honestly this is such an important point that it probably deserves its own thread because I doubt Bioware are even reading this one anymore.

Also a good point...the edit button is my friend and I added some color :)

That's why Conquest 5.9 is going to add those very valuable Augment materials to lootboxes for Medium and Large Yields, as well as increase the number of infinitely repeatable objectives.

Eric and BW are aware that there are problems, have said as much, and are taking steps to mitigate the damage. But yeah, just go on painting them as blind, deaf, and dumb bogeymen only out to destroy your fun. I'm sure your similarly angsty friends here on the forum will ring up a rousing chorus of "YEAH, EFF THOSE GUYS!" for you :rolleyes:

Yes, they know what they did, and have said that they will be making sweeping changes in 5.9, but the list of changes that they have announced are:

Detailed breakdown of changes:

Each Objective falls into one of three categories: Repeatable, Daily Repeatable, and One-time. Inside of each category, there are three point tiers: low, medium and high. Here are the new values (these are base values, without including Stronghold bonus).

Repeatable

• Low is now 120, up from 85
  • Medium is now 180, up from 130
  • High is now 290, up from 205

Daily

• Low is now 400, up from 330
  • Medium is now 600, up from 500
  • High is now 825, up from 750

Repeatable Objective Changes

• Complete a Warzone Objective is now worth 180, up from 85
  • Complete a GSF Match Objective is now worth 180, up from 85
  • Complete a FP or Uprising is now worth 290, up from 130

New Objectives

• The “Kill 50 enemies” Daily Objective will be worth 400 points
  • The “Kill 100 enemies” Daily Objective will be worth 600 points
  • The “Kill 150 enemies” Daily Objective will be worth 825 points
  • The “Complete 3 Activity Finder Activities” Daily Objective will be worth 400 points
  • The “Complete 5 Activity Finder Activities” Daily Objective will be worth 825 points
  • The “Kill the Final Boss of an Operation” Daily Objective will be worth 825 points
  • The “Craft 50 Items” Repeatable Objective will be worth 120 points

And based on those changes it is easy to see why people question the dev teams ability to see clearly. These are token changes at best, and seem to me to be no more than the very, very least that they hope that they can get away with doing.

They still need to remove the legacy restrictions on repeatable objectives, and they need to greatly increase the points awarded for completion of many of the repeatable objectives before I will consider anything that they are doing to be an honest attempt at addressing the problem.

On a side note, I did get over 15k conquest points this week. I did a total of 6 operations, and I did enough pvp to complete 5 sets of dailies and the weekly mission. Unfortunately for me, my raid group needed me on dps for some of the ops, and the needed me to tank for others, so even though my legacy received enough points, I did not complete my personal conquest on any of my characters this week. Even taking into account the changes that -eric has already announced, I would not have reached my personal conquest goal on either toon, and I certainly would never be able to reach it on the number of alts that I would regularly make it on before they took a hatchet to the system.

They have a long way to go before I will stop thinking of them as mean spirited jerks for making such drastic and punitive changes to a system that originally inspired me to join a guild and participate in group content outside of pvp in the first place.

Edited by Exly

On a side note, I did get over 15k conquest points this week. I did a total of 6 operations, and I did enough pvp to complete 5 sets of dailies and the weekly mission. Unfortunately for me, my raid group needed me on dps for some of the ops, and the needed me to tank for others, so even though my legacy received enough points, I did not complete my personal conquest on any of my characters this week. Even taking into account the changes that -eric has already announced, I would not have reached my personal conquest goal on either toon, and I certainly would never be able to reach it on the number of alts that I would regularly make it on before they took a hatchet to the system.

They have a long way to go before I will stop thinking of them as mean spirited jerks for making such drastic and punitive changes to a system that originally inspired me to join a guild and participate in group content outside of pvp in the first place.

This shouldn't be a "side note." This is a major issue with the system. And an excellent example of how screwed up it's become.

Yes, they know what they did, and have said that they will be making sweeping changes in 5.9, but the list of changes that they have announced are:

Detailed breakdown of changes:

Each Objective falls into one of three categories: Repeatable, Daily Repeatable, and One-time. Inside of each category, there are three point tiers: low, medium and high. Here are the new values (these are base values, without including Stronghold bonus).

Repeatable

• Low is now 120, up from 85
  • Medium is now 180, up from 130
  • High is now 290, up from 205

Daily

• Low is now 400, up from 330
  • Medium is now 600, up from 500
  • High is now 825, up from 750

Repeatable Objective Changes

• Complete a Warzone Objective is now worth 180, up from 85
  • Complete a GSF Match Objective is now worth 180, up from 85
  • Complete a FP or Uprising is now worth 290, up from 130

New Objectives

• The “Kill 50 enemies” Daily Objective will be worth 400 points
  • The “Kill 100 enemies” Daily Objective will be worth 600 points
  • The “Kill 150 enemies” Daily Objective will be worth 825 points
  • The “Complete 3 Activity Finder Activities” Daily Objective will be worth 400 points
  • The “Complete 5 Activity Finder Activities” Daily Objective will be worth 825 points
  • The “Kill the Final Boss of an Operation” Daily Objective will be worth 825 points
  • The “Craft 50 Items” Repeatable Objective will be worth 120 points

And based on those changes it is easy to see why people question the dev teams ability to see clearly. These are token changes at best, and seem to me to be no more than the very, very least that they hope that they can get away with doing.

They still need to remove the legacy restrictions on repeatable objectives, and they need to greatly increase the points awarded for completion of many of the repeatable objectives before I will consider anything that they are doing to be an honest attempt at addressing the problem.

1,825 - 4,563 on those Rampage goals (assuming they stack, which may turn out to be a mistake) means with full SH bonus, you can get nearly a third of your goal doing a few Heroics. I was getting the 100-kill Rampage this week just doing a couple of Nar Shaddaa Heroics each day (because unlike Old Conquest, Rampage is a once-daily now instead of once-weekly). There's no denying that will help the solo/casual crowd. Hopefully, "Activity Finder Activities" will also include the Solo and PvP tabs and not just Flashpoints, which would make it even easier for casuals (and PvPers) to get points. Or, assuming that 'Craft 50' is "Craft 50 of anything", spam hilts and barrels for some quick and cheap points.

With a 150% SH bonus, that also comes out to 450 points per Warzone (one objective I see many complaints about), which, with that participation bonus alone, would bring the required number of WZs to cap from 71 down to 34. Still not ideal, but more than doubling the point value of that objective isn't bad. There's also the once-daily awards of 825 for winning a match and another 825 for participation in that first match on weeks where those two objectives are in play - 1,650 each day you win your first match, basically. If you only have time to play that one day, it'd be 30 Warzones on such a week, and fewer by nearly four each individual day you win a Warzone.

BioWare has a stated goal of wanting players to play more types of content, and more often. They don't want you to just play three hours a week, they'd rather you play a couple of hours a day four or five days a week. And they want you to spend that time doing more than just farming Warzones. Conquest is an optional activity in the game, and they're using it as a carrot.

Again, whether or not you or I agree with how they're incentivizing this playstyle is irrelevant - it's their game, and you play it by their rules. In basketball, you can't just grab the ball and sprint across the court - you gotta dribble. If you wanna play by the NCAA/NBA's rules, you can't just do whatever you want on the court. If you don't want to dribble for whatever reason, perhaps that sport just isn't for you. Similarly, BioWare has a stated objective with these changes to Conquest, and have put their foot down on once-daily objectives - they're here to stay. If those aren't rules you're willing to live by, perhaps it's time to move on.

I did two WZ's Sunday on my main toon, a Merc who is in full 248 after over a year (I spread my playtime out over a TON of toons).

Yavin, and an Arena both popped.

Even though I was on the winning team both times, and that it was easier (due to my gear and an actual DPS rotation I learned for OPS) than I remember it being, there's no way I'd ever ONLY do those to try to cap conquest. Let alone the absurd number needed to do that now...tying all this to the point of the thread.

Maxing out Valor is one achievement I'll NEVER get. Since the game started, I don't think I have a single toon over 50.

Edited by Darevsool

BioWare has a stated goal of wanting players to play more types of content, and more often. They don't want you to just play three hours a week, they'd rather you play a couple of hours a day four or five days a week. And they want you to spend that time doing more than just farming Warzones. Conquest is an optional activity in the game, and they're using it as a carrot.

Again, whether or not you or I agree with how they're incentivizing this playstyle is irrelevant - it's their game, and you play it by their rules. In basketball, you can't just grab the ball and sprint across the court - you gotta dribble. If you wanna play by the NCAA/NBA's rules, you can't just do whatever you want on the court. If you don't want to dribble for whatever reason, perhaps that sport just isn't for you. Similarly, BioWare has a stated objective with these changes to Conquest, and have put their foot down on once-daily objectives - they're here to stay. If those aren't rules you're willing to live by, perhaps it's time to move on.

The problem with your basketball analogy is that the current points rewards for doing the grinding would be a basketball court the length of 200 miles between baskets. So you grab the ball, look and see how far it is to the other basket, then you drop the ball and go join the wrestling team (another video game).

It doesn't matter really what Bioware wants players to do, or how to play. It matters what the playerbase wants to do and what they can actually have time to do. This is a game, the more flexible you are allows players to play the game more the way they want to, increases fun. You can grant rewards for doing different things easily without forcing people to spend lots and lots of time doing the things they do not want. Maybe add a once per week per character (not legacy) reward for doing anything different. Meaning, if you do anything the next different thing you do you get points, then you do a third thing you get an increasing amount of points. So you do 1 pvp match, then you do 1 GSF match - 3500 conquest, then you do a flashpoint - 5000 more conquest, then a story chapter, 8000 more conquest, then an OPS 10000 more conquest. Your favorite thing no points, but increasing points for your less favorite things.

It would also be nice if you could transfer conquest points between characters to allow you to play whatever character is needed for grouping and still get more alts to their conquest goal. Or you could just make it a legacy thing instead of a character thing. Meaning if your legacy gets 15k, first character gets 1 turn in, if your legacy gets 30k your first 2 characters you log in each get 1 turn in, and so on.

snipped for brevity

If those aren't rules you're willing to live by, perhaps it's time to move on.

You do realize there's just two US servers left, yes? Y'all are talking like there's an unlimited supply of folks just clamoring to play this game. Its six years old, has pretty bad ratings, and a C level dev team that consistently misses deadlines. Combined with a dearth of content, where are you going to get that back fill?

This is the attitude of "take it or leave it". When you're in a service industry, and your customers have uniformly told you they're leaving, perhaps that's not the best attitude when you're on the ropes.

I'm perplexed...

I did 6 FP's to help a friend level up yesterday...I ended the night with under 4k Conquest points...I completed the weekly, the searching for allies and I only had 3.8k...of 15k...

I have 100% given up on ever pursuing it again, but what the hell?! 6 freaking FPs and only 3.8k?! That's crazy...that was an entire night of running that crap.

I'm perplexed...

I did 6 FP's to help a friend level up yesterday...I ended the night with under 4k Conquest points...I completed the weekly, the searching for allies and I only had 3.8k...of 15k...

I have 100% given up on ever pursuing it again, but what the hell?! 6 freaking FPs and only 3.8k?! That's crazy...that was an entire night of running that crap.

Apparently, we now have to play the way EA tells us. See above. ^^

You do realize there's just two US servers left, yes? Y'all are talking like there's an unlimited supply of folks just clamoring to play this game. Its six years old, has pretty bad ratings, and a C level dev team that consistently misses deadlines. Combined with a dearth of content, where are you going to get that back fill?

This is the attitude of "take it or leave it". When you're in a service industry, and your customers have uniformly told you they're leaving, perhaps that's not the best attitude when you're on the ropes.

The people who tell other players "If you don't like it, leave!" don't seem to ever realize how they're only shooting themselves in the foot. They think everything will be easier if they simply drive out everyone with a different opinion from them. But the truth is, if everyone who had a criticism of the game just left, there would be very few players left, and the game would inevitably shut down. Having a single groupthink on the forums would be small comfort then, I think.