If SWTOR is losing players, how can Bioware turn things around?

LordArtemis

Do you feel that the CXP boosts that currently drop in the reward table for GC would serve that purpose? If not, do you think it would be wise to simply raise up the CXP rate across the board?

Also, what other changes do you think they could make to the F2P system to make the game more desirable to former players?

CXP Boosts that drop (or are purchasable from the store) are NOT the solution.

The Holiday Event CXP Rate that just ended should be the normal rate for ALL players, including F2P players.

As to fixing F2P, that's simple. F2P Players should have full access to ALL the content that Subscribers have; that should include Command Levels, PvP, and GSF, oh and Forum Access.

As things stand if your main is at level cap then there is 100% no point in playing as F2P, and (and this is crucial) the dearth of quality, replayable content makes permanently subscribing a waste of money for many players - which is why so many of us subscribe only intermittently.

So what bonus do subscribers get?

Well we get "free" Cartel Coins.

Add in a further 20% Bonus to XP, CXP, Reputations and "loot table" rolls; maybe reduced cost for buying gear with UC.

We then have a F2P model that includes those players in ALL areas of the game - giving a participation boost to PvP and GSF; which will also benefit Sub Players, who with the new bonuses will also benefit appropriately.

All The Best

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on how they merged servers and the minimal development over the last 3 years, there isn't anything they are going to do to grow the game. With the two small NA servers, the expansion room for the player base is very small. The level and type of development they've been doing for over 3 years says they have a very small development team. Nothing there points towards an interest in growing the game or making the investment that would be required.

To those who say get free of EA, remember, BioWare isn't a separate entity. It is a department in EA and a brand name and that's it. It is totally interchangeable with any other EA department. EA has gone way down the microtransactions or bust road and this game is no exception. As the money dries up in this game it will continue to fade away.

They couldn't even handle legit server merges, they literally copied and pasted everything you already had from before for how many times you transferred before the merge. That took next to no effort at all, proves just how much they care about handling future endeavors if it even comes to that.

From the post I read about the server merges it mentioned everything that you earned, not things that you have already earned twice fold, thrice fold, or however many times you transferred.

Yeah I mean the movies are only happening like 1000 years in the future, but sure why not.

Did you play the original stories? The vast majority took place on canon planets with stories related to the traditional look/feel of those planets.

Edited by annabethchase

Real, huge expansions with lots of story and content.

Stop with the current story line abomination that they are on and go back to a more Star Wars feel for the story.

My sith want to do sithy things and my bounty hunters want to well...l Bounty Hunt/sell their skills to the highest bidder etc.

Make the class stories re playable just like the kotet ones

Edited by Solo-Jo

As to fixing F2P, that's simple. F2P Players should have full access to ALL the content that Subscribers have; that should include Command Levels, PvP, and GSF, oh and Forum Access.

Yes Bioware need to stop treating F2P as a stain on the games existence and embrace it, come up with a model that's fair rather than locking entire endgame behind a paywall.

Other F2P games do this via progression rates i.e. not getting loot or levels as fast as subscribers and with the command system they could easily implement a system like this where F2P get much lower amounts of CXP than a sub (say 20%) as well as restrictions on legendary token drops from bosses. That would make a massive benefit to still sub while allowing F2P players to populate endgame.

That's all they really need to do to keep this game relevant, the sub only model is a bit too much of a sting to those who feel this game died years ago... wasn't that why F2P was introduced in the first place?

That's all they really need to do to keep this game relevant, the sub only model is a bit too much of a sting to those who feel this game died years ago... wasn't that why F2P was introduced in the first place?

Yep and that is why on November 15, 2012 roughly nine months after the game launched it went ftp.

I just renewed using the Amazon Bundle because I'd never used it before. I don't think I'd want to be able to use that "more often" though. I don't think I need to explain how it's better if players are subscribers versus being F2P though in order to really support further game development.

But how do they turn things around? Well, they've got to flesh out those ideas on The Road Map more. I'm at least still a little optimistic or I wouldn't be giving this 90 more days. I do think we've got to see some kind of results happen in game to build on what is in the foundation right now though. Basically, I'm seeing more X-faction play being possible with... I'm hoping better attention to amount and quality of content coming. Nothing drastically crazy... but there has to be follow through and crystal clear communication.

Having said that, we pretty well do need an expansion. Something huge... or we'll be limping along at the same kind of pace SWG had towards year 7 and 8. And it's got to be better than Deathtroopers or we're pretty well looking at the game's decline into an even smaller community before this new year is out.

Now after you get that new content out. Real Makeb sized meat on the bone stuff... then you could do a free month for old accounts that haven't played in a long time and see what happens. With the right tweeks.... SWTOR could run at least up till the EA contract renewal. But it's going to take some serious devotion on EA's part and listening to the entire playerbase to correct mistakes already made and not liked.

That's just my two credits.

To me, the ideal expansion would contain:

1. Removal of some F2P restrictions

2. New FP's, new Operation, new daily area, new PvP mode

3. Revamped Conquest with more sandbox elements

4. QoL/RP features (chat bubbles, weapons in outfit designer)

Edited by Eli_Porter

Yeah, anything EA touches will turn to ash.

However, if somehow Bioware is given the go ahead to start on some new, quality content after somehow finding a way to conclude the Eternal Alliance and Zakuul Story Arcs, I would suggest a massive push towards new story lines.

Story lines that are specific to certain classes. Basically, what you're given on levels 1-50 pretty much. On top of that, I would go so further as to add a completely new class altogether. That would require some ingenuity. Maybe make it a triple spec. Heals, Tank, AND DPS capable. Kinda a reach, make just another dual spec.

Either way, the entire Zakuul/Eternal Alliance Story line was decent, but it was basically just another planetary story arc capable of being completed by any class you consider you main.

By having a new story for each class specific, you can get current/returning players to go through the motions of resurrecting at least eight classes and thousands of game hours invested.

Group content. Continue with the story. Make the solo combat not auto-pilot by tuning down companions. (This will never happen.)

The game's curse is just how slow everything goes. They take entirely too long to put out new content, and when they do it's a very small amount. You can get a lot more value from other games that have faster content schedules to boot. That's always been their fundamental issue going back to when the game first launched. They are too slow, and now in 2018 too understaffed and underfunded.

The ship sailed when they didn't capitalize on Shadow of Revan. That was their big chance. Not shiny Blur trailers for Knight of the Old Fart Emperor and not "United Forces".

Well, the people working at Bioware do want to feed their families and make the company successful as well. Making the game free to play in its entirety would kill this game, so how do you think that they should make money instead off this game?

Bottom line is that they need to make money somehow and I'd rather pay a sub than have a cartel market expansion and more aggressive sales tactics. I've played fully free games and they advertise for their cash shop in chat and in the middel of the screen. Is that what you want?

Sorry to come out so strong right away but I feel that when people say they want the game to be free then they don't actually have thought through what that would do to the game. So think about and see if you really would want a much more aggessive cash shop that advertises itself in game constantly. Because that's what would happen.

And as such it won't turn things around because a lot of people would leave because of that.

What they need to do is get to a point where more people feel this game is worth paying a sub for. For that they need to look at the larger player groups (I call them solo/casuals, raiders and pvp'ers) and treat them as individual groups rather than all size fits one (which it doesn't in the end).

I think there should be a BiS gear set for each separate group that functions great in their area(s) but only works in the base part of the others and there should be the possibility to equip these gear sets at the same type and switch between them. Why? Because right now losing in warzones is the most rewarding, doing sm ops last boss only in the gf is the most rewarding raid activity and casual/solo players don't actually get rewarded fast enough in most of their activities.

Bioware is trying to balance the unbalanceable by putting everything in one system. That's what needs to change. PvP uses different stat optimizations than PvE (no accuracy for dps, skank tanks, different augments, etc.) So there is still a need for a separate PvP and PvE tab. The divisions are clear and simple. Raid gear should come with additional set bonuses that you need and only work for HM/NiM Operations. PvP gear should come with different stat optimizations that work better in PvP and casuals should get stat optimizations and maybe some set bonuses that are more beneficial in solo/casual content. Set bonuses themselves could be adapted for PvP as well but not in the sense of a PvP stat but having differen sets that for example give a chance on resisting a stun or slow effects, or a chance to break through charge immunity which all work in warzones only of course. Stuff that will really shake things up a bit...but the BiS versions of each area should have the same rating. So it's all BiS but for different activity types and with set bonuses that actually work for that part of the game more than others.

I think that could really liven and freshen things up because everybody has something to work towards that rewards their efforts and gives them something that helps them. And if they want to do something else then they will be bolstered in the base version of that type like SM ops but will need to gain the right gear there before progressing to harder content if they want to.

I believe it's time this game and people stop focusing on what they're not getting but on creating things to work towards that make sense. Let Galactic Command crates give cosmetics and mats like it does now and give us UCs instead of command tokens that we can use to upgrade our gear in the area we chose, but as an addition not the main source.

For me that would make the game more interesting to play.

Making this game free won't work, making it more interesting to play what's there can. There is actually a shed load of stuff to do in this game but people are doing it. That's the biggest problem to me. They need to look at things and see what they can do to make it more interesting and enjoyable to do.

I wasn't being serious, it's why I told CrazyCT that she's better at sarcasm than me.:rak_03:

Fact is the game will always have people leaving, and people coming because they did or didnt get what they wanted. I see people ask for new content - bioware releases new content and there is an uproar that the new content is boring, or shortlived, or some other ridiculous reason that can be pulled out of thin air no matter what content was released. They release an ops fight, and the complaints come that its only one fight, or that its not challenging, or again, a reason out of thin air.

Bioware needs to hold close to their vest the fact that they will never please everyone at the same time, no matter what they change or what they keep the same, so they should just make a plan, and continue with it regardless of the outcry.

Personally, I dont really want anything specific, so maybe thata why I enjoy the game and often dont critique it as harshly. I will adapt to whatever is available to play, by changing habits, rotatjons, scheduling or content, etc. I dictate how my game is played, nobody else does. You want to put in 600 more CR's, go ahead, ill find the path to it that works best for me to allow swtor to maintain that fresh feeling by the end of it. Ultimately, your gaming experience is decided by YOU, not bioware. They host the world, and like any world there are rules and systems in place that you may or may not like, may or may not agree with, but you still choose to log in and pay to play. If the amount of grief the game gives you exceeds the amount of enjoyment, its your responsibility to make a change, not biowares.

Everything should be accessable for free so I can unsubscribe and no longer having to pay for this game, who wouldn't want that right?

Everything is so much better for free, I'm really excited to cancel the subscription and use my money on other things and have exactly the same things that I have now but without paying!!!

Now crazyCT doesn't have to.:rak_03:

Never mind the fact that there's newer MMO's & other large multiplayer games out that everyone else is playing & don't require a subscription, lets all dump £8.99 a month on a 6-7 year old MMO that flopped and lost most of the player base within the first year (which has already been through 'two' lots of server merges)...

The masses are ought to come back aren't they? Especially after the adding of even more restrictions & paywalls than there were since 2 years ago. It's really encouraging to those coming back having to pay the sub fee before they can even fart around with heroics or flashpoints at endgame without it being a pointless exercise.

If the cost of the game was around $5-10/month you would see a significant increase, also income there somewhere, it's simple math. However that would put a burden on the infrastructure and refocus efforts and resources, as well as increased maintenance costs.

What they do is calculated and is the right thing to do as 'they' see it. Corporations do tend to take the spirit from the game every time and 'I've been through several instances like that'.

SNIP...

If that is actually the case, we could go on and on about what reasons we think those players left, but I think if any question should be asked it should be "can we get the players back?" and How?

That is what I would like to discuss here. Assuming the hypothetical is true, what could Bioware do, with the minimum possible effort and investment (time and resource) to return the game to higher player numbers?

SNIP...

At this point I do not think bioware is capable of getting gamers back to swtor other than some slim numbers and to the point where you are always losing more than gaining.

The reason is to much damage is done. The lack of entertaining content. The lack of content worth repeating. The massive amount of bugs each and every patch. The time it takes to even address those bugs taking to long. Even something like conquest is screwed up time after time.

Then you have the lies that bioware tells while hiding behind their wording as if that was the point of misunderstanding. (example of things like the CXP bonus being per base class when there are no longer any base classes in the entire game and the server merger fiasco). Perception is a big thing and bioware has continued present themselves and something not worth viewing.

This continued damage from them over so long has done to much damage to this game. Mistake after mistake from day one to now. Word has spread and swtor is nothing more than a game you pass over and might play if you have nothing else to do. Sure, there are SW fans that are still hanging around but it's not the game that really holds them in my opinion. It's simply because it's SW. The game itself doesn't have enough new, repeatable content relying to much on old, stale content they want you to do again and again.

At this point, the move it would take bioware to get this game back in the positive light again would be so massive, that bioware is really not capable of making it. I simply don't believe bioware capable of turning things around. Look at whats planned for the first of 2018. 1 FP and 2 ops bosses that we were told would be out in 2017. The first of 2018 is them finishing 2017 and you can bet we wont get that little tidbit of content out till March or April (roughly 2 months for each boss).

Sadly, I'm not currently a believer that bioware can turn things around. They are not in the habit of making miracles happen.

Really you have to ask, does anyone working on the game want to turn it around. Cause I'm not sure they do or if they do it is simply beyond their ability to do so. There are certain things that must exist in the game and rather than make them as good as they can be it often seems like they were phoned in cause no one cares.

Story. The game requires as story, its what it is sold on

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is the only massively-multiplayer online game with a Free-to-Play option that puts you at the center of your own story-driven Star Wars™ saga
So you have to have your own story drive Star Wars Saga. So you could have an epic story or you can case someone that made no sense betraying you pointlessly across 2 flashpoints. The second of these flashpoints despite declaring that the traitor wouldn't escape again, you never even get close enough to share a dialogue with. So the story as far as that character/companion relationship was ignored. It seems the writing team figured oh sod it just have them pointlessly run around for a bit and call it a day then send them a mail saying how they retrieved something even though they never did for the actual content of the flashpoint. Customers are idiots they will lap it up.

Combat: After 6 months + of balancing classes (I know the guy had a baby so that slowed things down a bit) it turns out rather than refine combat and reduce the bloat and make it more dynamic they took a straw dummy and made everyones dps the same on it. Did they factor in the gameplay or non dps aspects of classes or even defense and off healing. Hell no just focus on dps against a dummy with perfectly timed rotations. Then showing a complete understanding of combat made a change to sentinels and marauders and failed to take into consideration alacrity, only after the forum pointed out how stupid it was that they made a change. So 6 months of class balancing and thats phoned in as well, ah just reduce damage, that will do.

Content: It seems for the most part content is old assets re-purposed and put into the game, be that to reskin an existing war zone or a flashpoint now tied to the main story in the smallest way. While despite being told how important companions are 3 are returned, 2 playing a larger role in the story if you don't recruit them and the 3rd just tagging along at the back. If you didn't know these companions from the original stories, you sure wouldn't have any knowledge of them after. Opting to return a meager number of companions and then to phone it in, ah players will just be happy they are returning, 6 lines of dialogue that will do.

With all likelihood the issues facing the game will be ignored, the disaster that was 2017 will be ignored (or worse spun into looking like it was a good year) but we will almost certainly be told what CM items are going to be on sale.

"If SWTOR is losing players, how can Bioware turn things around?"

BioFail can't, but EA can close the biofail shop and get a new team, these guys are obviously making one bad decision after the next.

I mean look at the whole balance charade, in the end they made the problem much worse and managed to completely kill off classes that were not so bad before.

Edited by Foambreaker

"If SWTOR is losing players, how can Bioware turn things around?"

BioFail can't, but EA can close the biofail shop and get a new team, these guys are obviously making one bad decision after the next.

I mean look at the whole balance charade, in the end they made the problem much worse and managed to completely kill off classes that were not so bad before.

But Keith said we'd understand it all soon......the nerfs that is.....he said soon we would understand why they made them all nerf...yet we still have no idea why, and it cost us an entire year to nerf 8 classes...

But Keith said we'd understand it all soon......the nerfs that is.....he said soon we would understand why they made them all nerf...yet we still have no idea why, and it cost us an entire year to nerf 8 classes...

It would appear that Keith is just throwing us whatever rotten old bone his EAcorporate paymasters tell him to throw at us. Question is how long will enough of us remain faithful lapdogs for that to work?

To be fair I have enjoyed the last week or so of playing SWTOR, especially while the holiday event CXP boost was running; but now it is over grinding Command Levels is starting to feel old real quick.

This game needs two things very, VERY urgently.

1) Less grind.

2) New content - preferably with some significant degree of replayability.

All The Best