Little tips and tricks that you didn't know..

Lheim

Higher level speeders lowers the risk of being thrown off when aggroed. The 10% speed increase per rank is just a bonus imho :)

(Obvious to many, but I get annoyed seeing so many complain about the prize for a "mere 10%")

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GEAR YOUR SHIP DROID!

I play an assassin and I crafted all the gear needed for my ship droid (his main stat is AIM) and with all blues/purps he is an AMAZING healer. I can go go non stop and he keeps pumping me full of those sweet heals.

When I first got him and took him to quest some guy said "ROFL You can't use your droid for questing!" to which I said "Oh he will do what I tell him to do!"

Ship Droid = Awesome heals (with gear)

P.S. He cannot wield a weapon of any kind but watching him punch people in the face is hilarious!

You can SHIFT+LEFT CLICK to link an item into whatever active chat channel you have selected.

You can CTRL+LEFT CLICK an item to preview the appearance on your character.

You can LEFT CLICK an item that has been linked in chat to view its stats.

You can CTRL+LEFT CLICK an item that has been linked into chat to preview the appearance on your character.

Edited by Infernal_Marquis

To find out the class/level of someone that is for instance looking for group in the General Channel. Type /who, then in the Search field of the window that pops up, type their name. It will return the class and level of the person.

*just typing /who name of person doesn't seem to work at the moment, please correct me if I am wrong.

There's a button at the top-level of the mailbox window to loot all items and credits from mail. Very handy if you just posted a ton of stuff on the GTN.

Oh and if you're UI is bugged (you can't seem to click anything), just hit CTRL+U twice to reload the UI. Happens a lot.

Edited by Bibdy

Had some issues keybinding my mouse tilt (Sidewinder 8). I made the mouse .exe an admin as suggested and it still didn't work. I then opened the .exe and left it open and the tilt left and right now do work.

Speaking of keybinds, there is no file for them - seems to be server side. There is also no import function for a new character - write down your keybinds so you can redo them quickly.

Nice thread. 5 star and subscribed.

Unbind forward and backwards. Use your mouse to go forward , keyboard to strafe left and right.

Now you are on your way to quality PVPing

??

I'm not trying to be a douche or anything but could you explain to me how this could help?

I have been playing PC based games for over 20 years have played just about everything from FPS to RPG's to Strategy to Simulations to MMO's and everything else in between, but i have never heard of this.

If you can explain it a little i might give it a try, and do u think it would work with a track ball.

Edited by WolfGangFox

??

I'm not trying to be a douche or anything but could you explain to me how this could help?

I have been playing PC based games for over 20 years have played just about everything from FPS to RPG's to Strategy to Simulations to MMO's and everything else in between, but i have never heard of this.

If you can explain it a little i might give it a try, and do u think it would work with a track ball.

Yeah, I recommend ignoring that tidbit. Unbinding backwards, maybe, but being able to freely use the LMB to select people while running forwards (e.g. someone trying to ninja cap a PvP objective) in the middle of a fight is important. Standing there struggling/waiting for Tab target to get you the right target is going to lead to a lot of frustration. I've been PvPing in WoW etc. for years (glad title and all that jazz) and I still find a use for moving backwards as a spellcaster (e.g. keeping my target in front of me while trying to reposition). Also helpful as melee if you don't want that Scoundrel/Assassin/Shadow/Operative getting behind you.

Edited by Bibdy

Sometimes you will get a choice of mods or enhancements as a quest reward.

If you open your character screen and then Ctrl-right click on a piece of orange gear to see what your present mods do, the quest reward window disappears.

Just hit CTRL-U TWICE to bring the window back so you can select your reward. (after writing down or memorizing your current mod's attributes.)

This works if the quest reward window accidentally gets closed for whatever reason.

You dont have to CTRL U to get quest reward windows back. Just click the "Pending" button at the top right side of the screeen.

Also, you can enable an option so Item Compare tool tips will show you the MODs in the item as well as the stats so you dont have to do it the hard way.

Awesome thread :)

Its still under investigation, needs experimenting. But the theory is that you can turn any orange gear (including social gear) in your level range adding the right modifications.

So if (like in my case) your favourite looking gear is an orange level 10 piece, you can still upgrade it to keep you going through all your levels as long as you keep your modification updated (keep in mind that this can be expensive as you level up)

2 things you have to have in mind, type of gear (cloth, medium, heavy armor) and the most important part: armor mod slot. This slot will adjust your gear armor values to the correct ones for your modification level. Its also obvious, but the piece of gear should have 3+ mod slots, to keep all the stats rising.

As said before, its under investigation, on a thread in the new players forums. but it looks like it is possible.

cheers ^^

When looking for appearance gear make sure you use the correct Armor level for your character. If you are a medium or heavy armor wearer you do NOT want to use Light armor appearance gear. The resulting armor MOD value will be lower due to this.

This does, unfortunately, mean that medium and heavy armor wearers have far fewer choices in social items since most of them are Light armor.

My companions has aggrod mobs before when I send him to gather nodes too close to them.

QFE. This does happen.

Also, you can enable an option so Item Compare tool tips will show you the MODs in the item as well as the stats so you dont have to do it the hard way.

I did not know this and have no idea how I missed the option. Thanks!

Edited by Choatley

When you're accessing your cargo hold, you can right-click an item or stack of items to swap them between your inventory and the cargo hold (rather than dragging). HOWEVER.... items moved from your inventory to your cargo-hold do not automatically stack on top of each other. If you have 6 crystals in your cargo hold, and collect another 6 to move from your inventory to your cargo hold, it will create a new stack of 6, making you run out of cargo slots fast. You can create one stack by moving the two stacks on top of each other manually.

Moving stuff from your cargo hold to your inventory DOES stack automatically though.

Edited by Elladan

When you're accessing your cargo hold, you can right-click an item or stack of items to swap them between your inventory and the cargo hold (rather than dragging). HOWEVER.... items moved from your inventory to your cargo-hold do not stack on top of each other. If you have 6 crystals in your cargo hold, and collect another 6 to move from your inventory to your cargo hold, it will create a new stack of 6, making you run out of cargo slots fast. Moving stuff from your cargo hold to your inventory DOES stack though.

This is almost right. The 6 items will not auto stack with the other 6 items but you can combine them to make one stack of 12. You just have to do stack-able items manually.

This is almost right. The 6 items will not auto stack with the other 6 items but you can combine them to make one stack of 12. You just have to do stack-able items manually.

Point taken, updated text to make it more clear.

Re: PvP and Keybinds:

One key to successful PvP is to be able to access your abilities quickly and efficiently.

Rebind the following keys on your keybard

1 2 3 4

Q E R F

Z X C V

These give you 12 buttons to attach powers to by remapping your hotbar slots to those keys.

Coincidentally, there are 12 slots per action bar.

Go into prefernces and go to hotkeys. Assign hotkeys in order 1,2,3,4,q,e,r,f,z,x,c,v to your main action bar. You will notice that these letters are now shown on your main action bar in place of the 1,2,...0,-,+ chars.

Now do the same thing with the second and third action bars but assign the CTRL modifier to the second, and the ALT modifier to the third. You will now notice that your other action bars have C+ and A+ prefixes to those buttons.

Now allocate 36 abilities to those quickslots. Be ogranized about it. Put 'timing critical' powers in R and F. Normal attacks can go in 1-4. assign a class of abilities to bottom row. For the CTRL and ALT modifier buttons, maybe put defensive abilities in the ALT slots, and offensive onces in ctrl. Plan it out accordingly so that the arrangement makes sense.

Now play a few rounds of PvP. you WILL be hunting for keys at first, but as you get better you will notice which keys you use more often and which keys can go off to the side. You may also notice that your 'panic' powers need to be more acessable, so put it in the most accessable spot.

Tune placement over time, and relize when you move stuff around, you'll need to retrain yourself, but in the long run it will probably be a better arrangement.

Hope this helps.

Edit: you can strafe by holding the right mouse button and using the A and D keys. In fact i never really use the A and D to turn my character, I just hold my RMB down and point myself where i want to go.

Edited by DarthCnox

I didn't see it listed, something I learned this last weekend:

• You can queue up to 5 crafted items per companion.

With 4 companions (at higher levels) you can literally have 20 items being worked on by companions at any given time! This is VERY nice when trying to level something like Armorsmith. Note that this doesn't work for mission oriented trade skills, like Slicing.

If you want to cancel any of the 5 queued up actions, clicking the X to the right of the progress bar will cancel the action currently being done, while right-clicking the tiny icons underneath will un-queue those particular actions. (Works like SC and WC.)

If you want to cancel any of the 5 queued up actions, clicking the X to the right of the progress bar will cancel the action currently being done, while right-clicking the tiny icons underneath will un-queue those particular actions. (Works like SC and WC.)

if you queued up to 5 crafting items and then decide you want only one, right click the little icons from right to left that way the current process does not reset and no time is wasted.

Edited by WolfGangFox

Awesome! +1 for Sticky where it belongs!

I didn't know we could also see the tooltip for our companion's gear on the preferences section. Thanks a lot!

This has been mentioned on other threads, but not here (i think):

When looting in a group:

The "NEED" option must be used only when the item if for your actual character and is obviously better than the one currently equipped.

The "GREED" option must be used only when it will improve your companion's gear. Please refrain from using this option if you notice that another group member might need this.

Don't be afraid of the "PASS" option (the 'x'). If you are a Smuggler and the loot is a +STR + END armor...PASS IT.

This helps groups and makes a better gamer out of us :)

To be fair, this is less a "tip" then it is your opinion on the need/greed system insofar as it applies to companions. I look at a companion as an extension of my character and so as far as I'm concerned "need" applies just as much. There are good reasons on both sides and it's definitely not cut and dry.

??

In pvp it's to insure you never go backwards and always straffe in pvp. This allows you to use max movement and straffe melee ect..

Having played games for 20 years means nothing..

if you queued up to 5 crafting items and then decide you want only one, right click the little icons from right to left that way the current process does not reset and no time is wasted.

I did mention that, you even quoted it. :confused:

I mentioned both ways in case the 5 actions were not all identical. Sometimes you do want to cancel the current action, other times you want to cancel some or all of the newly queued "for later" actions.