Little tips and tricks that you didn't know..

Lheim

Ctrl+RIGHT click to mod items (someone earlier said ctrl+Left click, which is to preview the look of an item on your toon)

There is an option in the preferences to adjust the width and height of the health bars under nameplates (useful for healers who want to really see those bars!)

Keybind your bottom center bar to ALT+1, ALT+2 etc etc to make it more like WoW :D

I re-bound "E" to Stealth on my Scoundrel, and "Q" to Swap Focus Target. Since strafing is easily accomplished by holding right click and using "A" and "D"

Your recover ability charges your companions health as well as yours.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you will get a choice of mods or enhancements as a quest reward.

If you open your character screen and then Ctrl-right click on a piece of orange gear to see what your present mods do, the quest reward window disappears.

Just hit CTRL-U TWICE to bring the window back so you can select your reward. (after writing down or memorizing your current mod's attributes.)

This works if the quest reward window accidentally gets closed for whatever reason.

If you open your character screen and then Ctrl-right click on a piece of orange gear to see what your present mods do, the quest reward window disappears.

Just hit CTRL-U TWICE to bring the window back so you can select your reward. (after writing down or memorizing your current mod's attributes.)

This works if the quest reward window accidentally gets closed for whatever reason.

Closing a quest reward window also causes a little "Pending Rewards" pop-up somewhere on screen, I think near the top-right?

Closing a quest reward window also causes a little "Pending Rewards" pop-up somewhere on screen, I think near the top-right?

Correct. People think they lost out on the reward all the time. Just look for the "Pending" above your quests on the right side of the screen.

You can queue up to 5 crafting orders to each companion at a time by clicking "craft" multiple times before closing the crafting window.

If your inventory becomes full while crafting, items will be mailed to you and sent as attachments.

Edited by BigLuvins

Awesome! +1 for Sticky where it belongs!

I didn't know we could also see the tooltip for our companion's gear on the preferences section. Thanks a lot!

This has been mentioned on other threads, but not here (i think):

When looting in a group:

The "NEED" option must be used only when the item if for your actual character and is obviously better than the one currently equipped.

The "GREED" option must be used only when it will improve your companion's gear. Please refrain from using this option if you notice that another group member might need this.

Don't be afraid of the "PASS" option (the 'x'). If you are a Smuggler and the loot is a +STR + END armor...PASS IT.

This helps groups and makes a better gamer out of us :)

Awesome! +1 for Sticky where it belongs!

I didn't know we could also see the tooltip for our companion's gear on the preferences section. Thanks a lot!

This has been mentioned on other threads, but not here (i think):

When looting in a group:

The "NEED" option must be used only when the item if for your actual character and is obviously better than the one currently equipped.

The "GREED" option must be used only when it will improve your companion's gear. Please refrain from using this option if you notice that another group member might need this.

Don't be afraid of the "PASS" option (the 'x'). If you are a Smuggler and the loot is a +STR + END armor...PASS IT.

This helps groups and makes a better gamer out of us :)

i say greed every thing you don't need and you only need it if it's somiting your going to equip right away. if some one else in the group needs something they should need it and my choice to greed won't effect them getting it. affter all every one has a companion that could use it or could make use of the credits fir selling...thus why it's called greed.

thou i guess oranges are a scectky point since if it doesn't have your class mods in it you can switch them for ones you want but there might be some that could use it as is.

Great thread!

While crafting, you can sort by "Difficulty", how much experience you'll get from the craft, or you can sort by "Rating", how good the - in my case armor - actually is, when comparing what I want to equip. Helpful dropdown depending on your purpose for crafting.

Great thread- +1 to sticky

In gtn/ sell- right clicking item in your bag moves it to sell window and inputs a "suggested" price; does not change default length of sale from one day

Adding a Second vote for using supplemental search function in gtn (small entry line below pull-downs, use small return-icon key to search, not bigger search key used the first time)

Also- question- earlier post advocated posting alt by mailbox to sell/ gtn; however, doesn't alt affect Legacy options?

* When sending items by mail, you can just right-click on them in your inventory to have them added as attachments. You do not need to click and drag.

Space Combat:

* Upgrade your ship! You can buy parts at the Starship Upgrades vendors, found on most planets, or in the NE quadrant of your Fleet's primary station (e.g. Carrick for Republic). Half of the ship upgrades can be purchased for credits here, and half are crafted (so make em yourself or find a GTN).

* You get fleet commendations for completing space missions, which can be spent for some ship upgrades as well as orange pilot's gear. The upgrades are all worth getting, and include a power conversation module at lvl 25 (you can boost blasters or shields at the expense of the other), and an EMP pulse at lvl 35 (which prevents foes from attacking for 10 sec). NOTE: if your foes can't attack you, that's a SPLENDID time to sacrifice shielding for stronger blasters!

* Fire your blasters in short bursts of three to four shots. That's usually enough to take down a small ship and lets your shields recharge.

* Blaster shots will travel through solid objects, but missiles will not. When firing missiles, make sure you don't target something on the other side of a ship or asteroid, as your missile won't reach its target. On the other hand, you can freely fire blasters and destroy anything you can point at, no matter what is in the way.

* Try to take out capital ship turrets early. Most capital ships will show up multiple times in a given space mission so if you cripple them early, it makes everything easier.

* If you take out a capital ship's engines, it'll veer around and won't be able to fire at you as readily. Sometimes the ship will even wander off course and plummet in flames, though you can't outright destroy capital ships yet. Plus, hey, it's fun.

* As you level up, you get new space missions, and you also get new optional objectives in your old missions. Try destroying one of everything early on to see what has bonuses attached; it's usually total # of ships/turrets, or capital shield generators, but sometimes it's something specific like "destroy 12 turrets on this one capital ship".

* Missiles do more damage than blasters, so you might want to save those for harder targets until you get a larger missile magazine.

Edited by Aloro

This thread is awesome. Yes.

The fact I'll add is about energy/ammo regeneration. Since I'm a smuggler, I'll speak to energy.

Next to your energy bar is a series of small arrows. The more arrows showing, the higher your regeneration. As a smuggler, you keep four arrows so long as your energy is at 60% or higher and then as your energy level dips below that threshold, your regen slows.

It's in your better interest to try and keep your energy/ammo bar above 60% to keep that regen going especially on longer sustained battles. I'm not sure if force users experience the same, however. Can anyone chime in on that?

Under preferences there is an option to set advanced tool tip information. I noticed a few people having troubles remembering what stats are on their items. Set advanced tool tip and you can see near full stats for mods in your orange gear with simply mouse over to instantly see if an AH or quest item is better or worse than you actually have.

There is also a setting to show your companion's gear along with your own when the comparison window appears.

There is an option you can uncheck to stop auto-target on nearest enemy. This will stop you from attacking a nearby enemy when in groups because it died during the queue for your next ability. That queue can also be set from 0 to a full second or perhaps more. You may want to play with it to tweak responsiveness in game and to fit your play style.

Remember to expand you companion skills (default ~ key or simply hit the expand button on their mini window) and read them all. As mentioned they get new ones but some are turned off including their aoe by default. They also have defaulted hotkeys (ctrl+1-= I believe) and you can easily use a naga mouse to quickly change their stances. Most have an offensive and defensive or single vs aoe stance. Aoe can mess up CC. They typically have shared cooldown clickies so only have the one you want turned on at any time. Hotkeying attack and passive will allow you to move your companion around easily to avoid boss aoe/trap areas.

There is a target companion hotkey to easily target then to heal (target focus is too bugged for me to bother with).

You can check an option to click ground to remove target instead of esc.

There are fleet shuttles on many planets that instantly send you to the flashpoint transfer area on the space station. Find them ... profit.

Many do not know yet how orange gear fully works. Low level orange gear (other than looks sometimes) is priceless. It has a base level restriction only viewable with empty mods. Otherwise it's level is altered by the level of it's mods. Only it's armor type or class restriction information stops you from using it. If full of different stats mods they can simply be replaced/overwritten by appropriate mods. It's overall power is based on the quality of it's mods and nothing to do with it's own stats. Light, medium and heavy scale with the armor mod added even though it's base armor empty is only a few points off. Light will always be light armor (looking at you, the light social armor wearing Bounty Hunter fool in warfronts).

Save your old lower level commendations on planets. You can instantly gear up your alts and even your new companions. Fit them with orange gear you like, buy higher level planet mods for the gear appropriate with commendations and with nearly no money your new companion is combat ready.

Edited by Tamanous

I didn't see this one posted so I'll go ahead and mention it:

If you have a companion out and you see a gatherable at any distance, you can right-click on it and your companion will go over to it and loot it so long as he can walk over to it.

I found it useful to stand on top of a large rock where there are gatherable spawns nearby and just click on them when they appear. You can also click on them while running down the road and your companion will teleport next to you once they're done gathering the resource.

Actually even easier than this. there is an option in Preferances>User Interface in the Tooltips section. Check Show Detailed Item Tooltips and you can see what each mod does on the item comparison window.

EDIT: I just noticed someone a few posts up mentioned this as well.

Edited by Vesperascit