Let us make an Petition, West Coast Server.

-JE-BLAZAR-

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is probably the best way to go about it. Get it out on media outlets. Get it out on other gaming forums.

I noticed dulfy is staying away from announcing what bioware has done which is a bit of a shock. Maybe she wants another in game item made after her and choose to not say anything against bioware.

Either way, Best to go beyond these forums thats for sure.

I doubt that's it. Dulfy has been pretty good in communication. The truth is probably she has seen the writing on the wall for a while. I think she's more into BDO and Destiny 2 now. She's always dealt more with the content and we are in a content drought until the end of November.

Related to no West Coast server Dev response in another thread:

Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Here’s some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?

We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?

Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?

Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isn’t something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?

Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know what’s going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Can we not turn on eachother right now? What does it matter who wanted server merges and who didn't? None of us wanted to be decieved, and now most of us, regardless of where we stood on the matter before the fact, are willing to stand together in order to put that right. Don't ruin that by taking cheap shots at people who are on your side.

That said, /signed

Edited by SourOrange

Related to no West Coast server Dev response in another thread:

Thanks for posting it here ''Nmyownworld''. And thank you all for showing your support for our comrades of APAC regions. That Eric Posted this is all thanks to our support here on the forums. So it is good we do this. Let us continue to make an civilized sign to Bioware, that the APAC players need help. :mon_cool:

They probably would have. It's just ironic that the same people who WERE so vocal, are now very vocal again about how it's so unfair, because it's not going to be the benefit they assumed it would be.

Server merges for the game IS a benefit. Having no west coast option for those on the west coast and in the Pacific is NOT a benefit. No one asked for the latter.

A petition isn't going to move BW to sign a new lease agreement for a building, hire staff to maintain the data center, pay to move the server back to the West Coast, etc. The cost-cutting measure has been made.

I know right, jesus this is beyond pathetic. It's done. The decison was likely made in a board meeting months and months ago, this balls been rolling down this hill for awhile, the only time its gonna stop is when it get to the bottom.

Those who were all for it cos their server had a dead pop, perhaps didnt realise, its not just your server, its all the servers in your region. No amount of merges is gonna fix that. So whats the answer. Get shot of them. And thus the ball began rolling and the APAC region was dropped.

Yes you can still connect but your no longer a priority so expect high pings. Sucks. But nothing you can do, and a petition isnt gonna stop it now.

Hey folks,

SNIP...

..... but will let you know a few days beforehand.

-eric

We all know petitions wont do any good but you know what. Every single time I real that line above it reminds me what liars they are and I'd sign every petition anyway.

Hey eric, didn't you mean "afterhand"?

• 6 months later...

Pay for the lease on a new data center to be constructed on the west coast, i.e., like the one they shut down to save money, and sure... maybe... but then they'll have to hire staff out on the west coast to maintain it. The cheapest option would be to rent a datacenter, such as from Rack Space, and administer the server remotely, but then EA would be dependent on another company's data center rules with no say in how that other company establishes its connections to the Internet backbone.

TLDR: After closing a data center to save costs, EA isn't going to pop the money for another one.

Edited by xordevoreaux

/signed

I am pretty sure merging servers had nothing to do with the comforts of the players getting more pops, rather more so with business driven reasons mostly the one being saving money.

Blaming the players for the merge and the subsequent loss of a decent connection is really petty and shows poor form imo.

Sadly, there is nothing the player can do here. With the way bioware all but lied about the server mergers and how it was done. bioware has no intention of allowing a west coast server for those gamers or APAC players.

If you play at all you will suffer that increased lag or get out. Thats the options bioware left those players in their attempts to save money. With how bioware made sure to keep hidden what they were doing till it was done, there isn't any kind of petition that would ever do any good.

Sadly, there is nothing the player can do here. With the way bioware all but lied about the server mergers and how it was done. bioware has no intention of allowing a west coast server for those gamers or APAC players.

If you play at all you will suffer that increased lag or get out. Thats the options bioware left those players in their attempts to save money. With how bioware made sure to keep hidden what they were doing till it was done, there isn't any kind of petition that would ever do any good.

I agree. I think more than anything, perhaps a thread on the topic can give people a place to vent and a place for BW to see how people really feel about such changes and how they were carried out.

So maybe it's a useless thread in that it won't get a new west coast server, but it serves other purposes.

Edited by Lhancelot

Two servers in the same location never made any sense from a game play aspect but I'm sure it made sense to the accountants looking to cut the overhead as low as possible. For all practicality the sad truth is that Satelle Shan is for Alt Toon Overflow. The game lent it'self to creating too many alts and this is their solution.

Unfortunately, I think you are barking up the wrong tree requesting a new server be made at a time when the game has downsized to it's bare bones essence.

I am pretty sure merging servers had nothing to do with the comforts of the players getting more pops, rather more so with business driven reasons mostly the one being saving money.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

Blaming the players for the merge and the subsequent loss of a decent connection is really petty and shows poor form imo.

I agree.

I said at the time that moving both servers to Virginia was asinine. I stand by that.

Two servers in the same location never made any sense from a game play aspect but I'm sure it made sense to the accountants looking to cut the overhead as low as possible.

True. APAC players being deemed acceptable losses probably.

For all practicality the sad truth is that Satelle Shan is for Alt Toon Overflow. The game lent it'self to creating too many alts and this is their solution.

This makes no sense.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

I am from the EU, the NL.

My ping is fine, 20-30 MS, and I am saddened about the loss for the APAC players.

I'm curious why an EU player is concerned about a west coast server. I know many people know nothing about geography, but I do. You would have a higher ping to a west coast server. (Plus, of course, you have EU servers.)

So, are you just "white knighting" for the APAC players, or are you simply grandstanding for attention?

I agree. I think more than anything, perhaps a thread on the topic can give people a place to vent and a place for BW to see how people really feel about such changes and how they were carried out.

So maybe it's a useless thread in that it won't get a new west coast server, but it serves other purposes.

Don't misunderstand me. By no means do I think gamers should stop telling bioware what they think. I think we should heap it on given the bad decisions bioware consistently makes that just goes directly against this game being fun and entertaining for so many be it for PVP and PVE. It's just some of the worst decisions making from people that claim to be gamers. I get that business decisions need to be made at times if not most times. Server mergers being a main one but wow. There is a way to make that move and then there is the total screwed up way bioware did it.

I think players should let bioware really have it when it comes to things like this as it does serve a purpose but I also know given biowares past actions it means two things from an old famous quote slightly changed for this forum. "Well, I've got news for you, pal, your posts mean two things to bioware: Jack and "crap"... and Jack left town."

but you are right, our posts do serve a purpose if nothing but for the player, so by all means, lay it on thick.

For all practicality the sad truth is that Satelle Shan is for Alt Toon Overflow. The game lent it'self to creating too many alts and this is their solution.

Yes, this truly does make no sense. It doesn't matter how many alts you have (other than extra database usage) - you can only play one character at a time.

A "server" can only handle so many players at a time, but it doesn't matter how many alts those players have.

Edited by JediQuaker

The difference is ~60ms between a west coast server and an east coast server. It really makes no effective difference in play for anyone in North America.

Yes.. 60ms on top of the several hundred ms for APAC players to cross the pacific is noticeable...... however.. APAC as a region could not even population support a server 5 years ago.. so... that is what that is. Two out of the three APAC servers were ghost towns when they shut them down, and the 3rd one was pretty small population wise.. and declining.

Edited by Andryah