Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

West Coast Ping Time

Lxndra

As a west coast player, I now am experiencing triple the ping time I used to have on Harb and BC. I signed onto an east coast server and it's exactly the same, which I've always felt was comparatively sluggish. There's no difference in the ping between WC and EC after this update.

Am I to understand that the server "improvements" have resulted in worse play conditions for west coast players? Or is this an issue that is going to be worked out?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They moved all the servers away from the West Coast. My ping is two to three times higher than it was before on Harbinger. Why couldn't they at least choose a central US location? I'm starting to think they actually want the game to fail. Edited by mrobviousinaz

Well California just had a 3.x earthquake this morning, maybe the servers are in the water?

Or perhaps more to do with today's announcement:

We have completed the upgrade of the Game Servers along with all their supporting infrastructure in the Data Centers. We made a large investment of new hardware and software and one of our primary goals was to substantially reduce our footprint while improving our overall server capacity. During our evaluation of the new servers, we determined we could also combine our North American datacenters. That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Why do they always neglect to mention these kinds of details in their announcements? Nowhere in the 80,000 paragraphs detailing the plans for servers mergers do they mention poorer pings for WC players... until after the fact.

There is literally *no* difference in my ping whether I'm on a West Coast or East Coast server, and I'm in CA. West Coast players got @#$#$ over in this server merge.

Perhaps knowing this ahead of time may have affected our decisions about where we decided to play or transfer legacies, or whether we want to play at all. Bad form, Bioware.

I kinda read between the lines and expected it.

If you look at past "network code improvements" in the dev tracker, and look at what they actually did you will find it is in the same vein. Lower spending is the goal.

I think most of those in the western US will still be ok with their new ping times. Nearly everything in this game is scripted, so you don't need real reaction times. Even other player's can be largely predicted if you know their ability CD's.

I

I think most of those in the western US will still be ok with their new ping times. Nearly everything in this game is scripted, so you don't need real reaction times. Even other player's can be largely predicted if you know their ability CD's.

Once again, American's thinking they are the entire world......

What about the rest of us on the other side of the planet?

And do keep in mind, they also said

...That also occurred today and we have officially moved out of our West Coast location. Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

So they will be working on lowering lag times. It just might be a bit of a bumpy start. :)

I live square in the middle of the country so either coast's ping were the same. I'm curious what they'll be like after today. I'm also curious why they still need 2 servers if geographically they're identical. Edited by kodrac

Our testing showed no impact on the gameplay experience, but we expect some of you playing on formerly West Coast servers may see higher ping times. We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

I guess we will see what sort of adjustments/improvements they can make for high ping in the next 2 weeks...?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Yeah, that's so they can invest more money into the 2018 expansion I bet!!! ;)

Wow. Never thought you'd be the type to be so emotionally affected by an opposing different opinion tux. You used to be more level headed. What the hell happened to you when I was gone? :confused:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.