Does Bioware Dislike Women?

Iceslasher

I've played through almost all the arcs (almost done Trooper...) and the romance options for females are meh.

Corso is a scrub I would never even bother with.

Jorgan is a house pet with bipedal motion.

Iresso is just OK.

Tharan should not even exist, he is sooooo geeky stereotype.

I enjoyed Vector as well. Not at first, but as my appreciation for the Agent storyline grew, so did mine of Vector. I would have liked to bed Kaliyo though, she just aligned perfectly with my Agent, as did SCORPIO, but I do not want to make a <3 SCORPIO thread for fear of offending LunaFox.

Theron is...whatever. That haircut is totally a turnoff. I'd rather Gault to be honest on BH, he's got some personality, even if he is a weasel at times. It's likely too late to change stuff now, but I'd like some more options across the board. Will try Mass Effect sometime to see how that goes.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played through almost all the arcs (almost done Trooper...) and the romance options for females are meh.

Corso is a scrub I would never even bother with.

Jorgan is a house pet with bipedal motion.

Iresso is just OK.

Tharan should not even exist, he is sooooo geeky stereotype.

I enjoyed Vector as well. Not at first, but as my appreciation for the Agent storyline grew, so did mine of Vector. I would have liked to bed Kaliyo though, she just aligned perfectly with my Agent, as did SCORPIO, but I do not want to make a <3 SCORPIO thread for fear of offending LunaFox.

Theron is...whatever. That haircut is totally a turnoff. I'd rather Gault to be honest on BH, he's got some personality, even if he is a weasel at times. It's likely too late to change stuff now, but I'd like some more options across the board. Will try Mass Effect sometime to see how that goes.

I just saw this lol. I wouldn't be offended at all. If you want to dedicate a <3 thread to Scorpio or Kaliyo, you go right on ahead. I have somewhat of an in-joke going on now, that everytime 'a love thread' goes up a Lunafox gets her wings. :D I've got oodles of wings now. :D So you go right on ahead and <3 thread all you want lol.

And for the record, I agree with your points about Jorgan, Iresso, Cedrax and Gault. I adore Theron, but I never liked Kaliyo or Scorpio that much. Though, Scorpio does look quite neat with the black/grey/yellow mod. :)

I am a male but play female characters regularly. I am greatly disappointed in the female romance options. I absolutely agree and everytime I play a female character I find it very difficult to even think why i would romance any of the options. Believe it or not about the only person I can somewhat tolerate is Theron, but his option is terrible in terms of story. :mad:

I am a male but play female characters regularly. I am greatly disappointed in the female romance options. I absolutely agree and everytime I play a female character I find it very difficult to even think why i would romance any of the options. Believe it or not about the only person I can somewhat tolerate is Theron, but his option is terrible in terms of story. :mad:

Have you done any of the romances? I'm always pestering my husband to play female characters and try the romances because I'm just curious what what his perspective is and how they compare with the romances for males. And what he finds appealing/unappealing etc about them.

For the record, he wouldn't touch Doc :o And I'm still waiting for him to pick his female agent back up, I'm particularly interested in that one.

I almost stopped playing my female Jedi because of Doc. NO matter how you treat him he still lays it on thick with the creepy flirting.

I am not sure if they hate women. We could say the same with almost all the computer games that have come out in the past 20-30 yrs. Look at how many games where the main character is Male and the females are protrayed as helpless etc.

Now on the romances, hmm there is good and bad on both sides.

For the females the only romances that I thought that were nice were Vector and Aric. They seem like the most normal of all the options. I wish my inquisitor could romance Talos (the companion you get on hoth) and I wish my Warrior could Romance Pierce instead of that being a one night stand.

For the Males: really the only females I think I would have my Male toons Romance would be Vette/RIsha /Elara. Most of the male romances are nuts or just out of bounds in my opinion.

I wanted to add: I think Theron and Lana are great Romance options. In my opinion they are very likeable characters and are alot more normal then some of the other options.. My rep toons think the world of Lana, becasue she is to them a normal person not some nut job with too much power. And she rescued them from carbonite and really despite what she did to Theron she is a pretty decent person for a sith.

Edited by LeelaSeventen

1.I find it disheartening that you have all these options of skimpy female clothing (i.e. security vendor) and NOTHING for males that is Skimpy.

2. The romances: I like the "strong female" role, when I play a male character I tend to choose Elara or Akaavi- as a female player playing female character though the ones I would choose would be Torian (available), Pierce (not available except as one-night stand), and Talos (not available as romance option. There's even a dialogue option where a female asks Talos "are you flirting with me", but the conversation goes "I don't think of you in that way". Actually, my Sith would much rather have a relationship with Talos than with Andronikos.

Let's look at some of the other options...

Vector - sweet as he is, he's still a BUG-joiner

Andronikos - crazy pirate

Quinn - We ALL know why not.

Corso- too "protective:"

Doc - lounge lizard.

Iresso - sweet, but he's got something in his head....

Theron Shan - o.k. for my LS imp agent that made a certain choice, and for my Republic chars, but most of my Imps don't want to be cozy with a Republic spy.... I do think that for a relationship to work, you have to have certain values in common, and what country/nation/empire one feels loyalty to would certainly cause a disturbance if the two are too different.

3. Character physical builds. Granted amongst Humans most men are taller than women. That would not necessarily hold true amongst alien species. While it doesn't affect us combat-wise - it DOES make a difference in other elements of gameplay,Jumping to get datacrons. Female and Male characters DO jump differently. I have enough characters and have been playing long enough (before datacrons were account-wide) to notice a significant difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a thought after discussing this further with my husband, who doesn't play females very often. But when he does, he always comes up with "roleplay" reasons (or excuses as I call them) why his female characters won't partake in their romances.

I asked him if his new warrior would do the Quinn romance and he rambled on a long time about her being a pureblood and looking down on Quinn as a lesser species and yadda yadda yadda, so probably not.. and it occurred to me that maybe the female characters weren't made for actual females to play. They were made for straight males who LIKE to play females, so they purposely gave them few flirts and didn't care whether their romances were enjoyable or made sense.

My husband is only a sample size of one but this theory seems to fit him, and also me - when I play male characters I'm very uncomfortable with the romances. I don't mind flirting and having one night stands with women, but I resist the notion that my male characters actually fall in love with any of them. (And I can't put my finger on why, exactly. Because I'm still a straight woman in a man's body..? *shrug*)

Knowing developers, it makes sense to me that playable women were never meant for actual women to begin with.

Edited by grania

I do not agree with it at all. Just as someone else has said, look at love interests for women in Dragon Age 1/2/3, Mass Effect 1/2/3/Andromeda, KOTOR 1/2, Jade Empire and many more! If "Bioware" would hate women, they wouldn't get amazing LI characters to flirt with at all. You really cannot think you'll find a knight on a white horse in smugglers team. You're fooling yourself. And lastly to each their own I think Vector is super adorable and romantic - just because you don't find something attractive it doesn't mean others won't. Altough they could make Doctor Lokin romanceable too. After all you all get a Theron which is total bae goody two shoes. I don't see the reason to complain. You cannot satisfy everyone. Do you realize that maybe there are male players who don't like let's say Jaesa or Kaliyo even Lana maybe lol. You really cannot satisfy everyone, so please chill. Don't look at just swtor, take other games done by bioware into consideration.

Every time I read this kind of thread, I can't help but to think "so, they have a problem because females have x flirts and males have x+100 flirts? What's next -- this company hates women because luxurious dress costs more on GTN than formal tuxedo?". Maybe they could have done more to make the female companion romance vs. male companion romance ratio more close to 50/50, but I really don't see an issue with anything else, and even that's not proof that they "dislike" women.

As for the quality of the romances, it's just up to the player. I have 7 male companions I can romance that I really like (Doc, Aric, Quinn, Andronikos, Vector, Torian, Theron) vs. 3 female (Elara, Vette, Kaliyo). This is hardly proof that they dislike men, and I don't see why someone else's personal preference would be proof that they dislike women.

Edited by Seireeni

Have you done any of the romances? I'm always pestering my husband to play female characters and try the romances because I'm just curious what what his perspective is and how they compare with the romances for males. And what he finds appealing/unappealing etc about them.

For the record, he wouldn't touch Doc :o And I'm still waiting for him to pick his female agent back up, I'm particularly interested in that one.

I have done them all. This is why I am frustrated. The given options just aren't good.

I've done all of the romances for both males and females, and while I do like more of the male romances, the female romances have quite a few I enjoined. Iresso, Quinn (to bad I want to kill him for his betrayal), Andronikos, Torian (was alright, not great). I do think the Impside classes have better female romances by far, however saying BW hates women is going overboard. Edited by Toraak

I've done all of the romances for both males and females, and while I do like more of the male romances, the female romances have quite a few I enjoined. Iresso, Quinn (to bad I want to kill him for his betrayal), Andronikos, Torian (was alright, not great). I do think the Impside classes have better female romances by far, however saying BW hates women is going overboard.

A smidge off topic but I figured I'd ask since you may know. Since the idea popped into my head while reading your message does having romanced Torian effect his scene with vaylin when she you know.....does that thing to him?

A smidge off topic but I figured I'd ask since you may know. Since the idea popped into my head while reading your message does having romanced Torian effect his scene with vaylin when she you know.....does that thing to him?

He says that he's not afraid to die.. But that he would like to see the female BH for the last time. :(

I do not agree with it at all. Just as someone else has said, look at love interests for women in Dragon Age 1/2/3, Mass Effect 1/2/3/Andromeda, KOTOR 1/2, Jade Empire and many more! If "Bioware" would hate women, they wouldn't get amazing LI characters to flirt with at all. You really cannot think you'll find a knight on a white horse in smugglers team. You're fooling yourself. And lastly to each their own I think Vector is super adorable and romantic - just because you don't find something attractive it doesn't mean others won't. Altough they could make Doctor Lokin romanceable too. After all you all get a Theron which is total bae goody two shoes. I don't see the reason to complain. You cannot satisfy everyone. Do you realize that maybe there are male players who don't like let's say Jaesa or Kaliyo even Lana maybe lol. You really cannot satisfy everyone, so please chill. Don't look at just swtor, take other games done by bioware into consideration.

Every time I read this kind of thread, I can't help but to think "so, they have a problem because females have x flirts and males have x+100 flirts? What's next -- this company hates women because luxurious dress costs more on GTN than formal tuxedo?". Maybe they could have done more to make the female companion romance vs. male companion romance ratio more close to 50/50, but I really don't see an issue with anything else, and even that's not proof that they "dislike" women.

As for the quality of the romances, it's just up to the player. I have 7 male companions I can romance that I really like (Doc, Aric, Quinn, Andronikos, Vector, Torian, Theron) vs. 3 female (Elara, Vette, Kaliyo). This is hardly proof that they dislike men, and I don't see why someone else's personal preference would be proof that they dislike women.

Well said!

God almighty, you had to play the *********** victim card. I mean are you joking?

What do you think is more likely, the writers are mostly male and not sure what women would find appealing. Those characters were the best they could come up with? Or they did it poorly on purpouse to spite women?

Don't get me wrong, most options are pretty ****** but it sure as hell isn't out of spite.

And i guess i'm in the minority where i liked the betrayal. It made the whole romance more interesting and actually gave it some weight, it has me interested in what happens next. I'd rather have the romance have an impact on the story or create drama than just some lame mastubatory fantasy where the character keeps lavashing praise on you for clicking a button. I find it patronizing. It adds nothing to the story,

Not sure what the blocker blocked on the previous poster's post. Now if you are referring to a previous poster, I don't think they mean you have to play the victim. I think they mean they played it like that, there are always 3 options on the wheel. If I think it is the video I saw a while back , I think they were playing it like a bad girl type. That eventually settles down.

My Question is why do people get upset more about the Corso stuff then the Quinn stuff.

I think phrase "you can't please everyone" is appropriate in this convo.

Some people like Quinn and think he is a great romance, and there are some like me who really don't like him. So i never did a romance and nor will I.

Some people hate Adric and think he is a terrible romance canidate, I love him as a character and I think the Trooper has one of the best romance arcs in the game.

Alot of people hate characters I like and I hate characters that people love.

Now I don't know if Bioware if full of men or women. Women are capable of writing horrible characters look at the "twilight and fifty shades ".

I get the impression the romances are not meant to be a big part of the story, it is just a side thing that someone can do.

Edited by LeelaSeventen

God almighty, you had to play the *********** victim card. I mean are you joking?

What do you think is more likely, the writers are mostly male and not sure what women would find appealing. Those characters were the best they could come up with? Or they did it poorly on purpouse to spite women?

Don't get me wrong, most options are pretty ****** but it sure as hell isn't out of spite.

And i guess i'm in the minority where i liked the betrayal. It made the whole romance more interesting and actually gave it some weight, it has me interested in what happens next. I'd rather have the romance have an impact on the story or create drama than just some lame mastubatory fantasy where the character keeps lavashing praise on you for clicking a button. I find it patronizing. It adds nothing to the story,

I liked the betrayal as well, it was quite the surprise when I found out!

Not sure what the blocker blocked on the previous poster's post. Now if you are referring to a previous poster, I don't think they mean you have to play the victim. I think they mean they played it like that, there are always 3 options on the wheel. If I think it is the video I saw a while back , I think they were playing it like a bad girl type. That eventually settles down.

My Question is why do people get upset more about the Corso stuff then the Quinn stuff.

I think phrase "you can't please everyone" is appropriate in this convo.

Some people like Quinn and think he is a great romance, and there are some like me who really don't like him. So i never did a romance and nor will I.

Some people hate Adric and think he is a terrible romance canidate, I love him as a character and I think the Trooper has one of the best romance arcs in the game.

Alot of people hate characters I like and I hate characters that people love.

Now I don't know if Bioware if full of men or women. Women are capable of writing horrible characters look at the "twilight and fifty shades ".

I get the impression the romances are not meant to be a big part of the story, it is just a side thing that someone can do.

I think people get more upset about Corso than Quinn because Corso's behavior feels more, well, familiar I guess. Many people have been in a situation where a jealous boy/girlfriend, ex-boyfriend/girl or just someone who just has a crush on you has been attempting to drive away other potential suitors. Many others can imagine such a thing happening to them.

Quinn, in the other hand? Personally I have no idea how I would react if I was completely loyal to my employer and so was my husband, but said employer betrayed me so I was hired by another employer to take down that former employer only to find out that my husband is still loyal to the first employer and tries to kill me. It doesn't sound like something that could to you happen in real life, so it's easier to emotionally distance yourself from it.

I agree about not being able to please everyone, though. Even Corso really divides opinions. Some people feel he's jealous and creepy and trying to control your character's lovelife, others that he's just old-fashioned and his fits of jealousy are adorable.

Just to set the record straight. I love Women, i respect Women, i think it is time for a lot more Women in leaderships.

I love seeing a Woman or Women heroines, in films a tv series and games. And i believe Women will par-tack in more leadership roles through out the world and it will be for the greater good.

I do not say all that just because my 8yo and my newly turned 11yo Daughter's are sitting right here waiting for their dad to stop commenting on forums and start the Damned Game so they can see if they want to start a new character and start playing them selves.

Got to go now they r looking at me like :mad: :mad: