Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

Ohk, first off I would like to thank Mr. Musco's efforts in damage control and his heartfelt attempts and effort to keep us in the know about the issue and the steps the developers are taking - this is in no way your fault and people blaming you probably know that, but anger is overwhelming them and this happens.

Second off, it is not acceptable that a company as big as Bioware delivers a game breaking patch during an event and thus severely harming the good it was hoping to farm. I am an engineering student who codes in C, Java, Matlab and a basic understand of various other languages and even I, who's a mere student, can notice when a code - in a much larger code segment or bulk is bad or ineffective - the fact there is no one alpha testing - or hell even testing the patch at all before implementation is simply sad and unacceptable from a company that asks for a premium when compared to other companies that offer more content (Hell, even Runescape is less broken than this game and you lost the right to be compared to WoW when you couldn't even stick to one dialogue version.) This is where change is needed most and bringing back of Beta servers were a patch would be implemented prior to it going live is vital for avoiding such messy issues.

Third off, I do not get a lot of holidays I am a fourth year engineering student with two research papers and thus my weekdays are ram-packed with deadlines, stress and all-around distasteful people to put it likely. This game as sad as it may be to admit is my stress release mechanism and the fact that today - a day I had been accumulating good will to take off work/uni so I could benefit from a single day of this week long event the entire server went down is simply frustrating and it did anger me a lot to the point where I genuinely started laughing about how much time I spent on this game only to be met - as a customer for over 3 years or so - with simple "we are working on it" - "intern level coding and quality assurance" and honestly this game is no longer worth the 15$ (or whatever your yearly cost is) I am honest to god disappointed that I wasted my day hopeful and waiting for a quick resolution from a company that clearly lost its drive and passion for work .

Please, just give us a reason to why anyone in general or I in specific should stay in a game where the developers don't care anymore about the quality of the game they are attaching their names to. The developers lost all the respect - or what little there of - I had for them. Truly heartbreaking how far the division fell.

I thank you, Eric, for all your efforts and I apologize for the long message, but I do believe you are the only competent person left in the SWTOR Bioware division and you're trying to make sense of this storm - You are not a bad guy and thank you for taking so much heat from us over this.

Regards,

A former customer.

P.S: you might disagree with me and that is your right, this is written based off my own personal case and hectic lifestyle that allows me no more than a day or two to enjoy myself - as of recent times. I thank you for being respectful and accepting before hand.

Edited by DrakylYukishiro

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, looks like the US customers will graciously do the beta testing for EU this time. We are counting on you and wish you the best of luck.

Honestly I'd be glad to do the testing if they want to throw a build up on the PTS and let us plug away at it. But Bioware doesn't have the foresight to do that. Nor do they apparently have the talent in house to test a production build before they push it live.

How a steaming pile a manure with all these issues could get past their QA team is just simply astonishing. What exactly is "testing" to them? Does it involve logging into the game, or just checking to see if the servers will fire up?

This emergency patch wasn't even necessary. There wasn't anything so broken that it couldn't wait for a standard patch cycle and proper level of testing for next week.

This was just another in a long line of examples of poor product management, shoddy coding and a complete lack of testing. In short, a poor product. That's what happens when you have a game running in maintenance mode with a skeleton crew and no quality resources dedicated to it from the parent company. Just another nail in the SWTOR coffin. Let it die and give us a real MMO at this point.

Because they broke the game with their first patch. They either didn't take the time to put it through the test server, or because they are inept. Pick your poison.

what broke? like i get that the game was busted but specifically what was broken about it?

also, chill out homie. you think they did it on purpose dont you.

Hey folks!

We are in the final stages of testing now and everything is still going well. If we stay on course we may come up soon™, possibly ahead of the original ETA.

I will let you know.

-eric

Oh no, you are pulling out the classic Eve trademark. I'll see myself out before this patch deletes my Boot Manager.

To those saying that those complaining are angry about 50 cents. This may be a bit thick of me, I think it's more of an issue of time lost/inconvenience than the price of a Twinkie. And did BW really give away 1150 CC coins for free once when something like this happened? If so that's awesome, that shows empathy with the playerbase which is A-One. Kudos BW. But I'm a new subber unfortunately, I missed out on that. Maybe they will follow the precedent that they set with that? Here's to hoping! A little goes a long way.

Hey folks!

We are in the final stages of testing now and everything is still going well. If we stay on course we may come up soon™, possibly ahead of the original ETA.

I will let you know.

-eric

Great, I'm off to bed :p

Just be sure to keep things working tomorrow for me as I have a day off work :D

what broke? like i get that the game was busted but specifically what was broken about it?

also, chill out homie. you think they did it on purpose dont you.

As I understand it, lots of things.

Mission names became strings of code. Cartel market prices became long negative numbers. Various places evidently "stopped working" in the game... That is according to the earlier postings.

So I was passed out earlier before the servers went back down. What happened and what all was so wrong to make the servers go down? Anyone who had been online to witness the problems, it would be nice to know what they were.

I also have not run my updater, and I wont until this is all resolved.

Oh no, you are pulling out the classic Eve trademark. I'll see myself out before this patch deletes my Boot Manager.
At least in EVE you can still train while the servers are down. And CPP is a very small company compared to BW. CC or faun. Just something to make me happy at the end of this long day.

THANK YOU eric, for keeping us updated. hopefully devs are thinking of taking my suggestion, that is returning all the missed double cxp time thru superior boosts, and the normal xp boosts. that way noone actually misses out ondouble cxp/xp. for those that are thinking they can code this game better than the people hired to do so, go code your own game and patch, fix bugs, all that without errors. until you do, none of u will believe a word you type.

As I understand it, lots of things.

Mission names became strings of code. Cartel market prices became long negative numbers. Various places evidently "stopped working" in the game... That is according to the earlier postings.

As feared that sounds like it was DB related in which the DB calls returned incorrect or null values should have been seen in a proper test environment.

Edited by Kinsal

To those saying that those complaining are angry about 50 cents. This may be a bit thick of me, I think it's more of an issue of time lost/inconvenience than the price of a Twinkie. And did BW really give away 1150 CC coins for free once when something like this happened? If so that's awesome, that shows empathy with the playerbase which is A-One. Kudos BW. But I'm a new subber unfortunately, I missed out on that. Maybe they will follow the precedent that they set with that? Here's to hoping! A little goes a long way.

They gave us 1050 coins if I remember it right. But my guess is, only to those who had early access to chapters.

'Cause those players were hurted, not everyone.

i dont think you will get that but 2000 cc i would take that

Don't care about CC. I am pissed off because dear Eric threw a handful of codes for an unobtainable pet (I would have bought the damned thing otherwise and been done with that a LONG time ago) at a thread FULL of people and apparently thought it a good idea or entertaining or whatever to watch them scramble for them, and somehow expected that that would keep them quiet and busy. Then went into a huff when that didn't go over as expected and was like "okay so you said you didn't want this" when all that people said was that it would be fair if everyone got one. So, as always, not listening.

Don't care about CC. I am pissed off because dear Eric threw a handful of codes for an unobtainable pet (I would have bought the damned thing otherwise and been done with that a LONG time ago) at a thread FULL of people and apparently thought it a good idea or entertaining or whatever to watch them scramble for them, and somehow expected that that would keep them quiet and busy. Then went into a huff when that didn't go over as expected and was like "okay so you said you didn't want this" when all that people said was that it would be fair if everyone got one. So, as always, not listening.

Like Ebenezer throwing HUNI's at the soup kitchen line just to see the chaos

Eric I am not sure if you are reading this, but what if you did something else like maybe... in game mail to all players who log in by tomorrow that will have the pet inside? Just a thought

As feared that sounds like it was DB related in which the DB calls returned incorrect or null values should have been seen in a proper test environment.

Might be a memory corruption thing as well. Either way, it sounds like something that should have been caught. Ah well, at least it sounds entertaining. I wonder whether there will be any rollbacks.