Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to criticize those people that pay for a subscription! We all make our money work hard for every cent! And lose money just so very unpleasant.

I pay my sub too chap, I'm just not so arrogant that I equate the loss of less than $1 to "GIVE ME FREE STUFF GRHAA!!" it's really sad to see.

I pay my sub too chap, I'm just not so arrogant that I equate the loss of less than $1 to "GIVE ME FREE STUFF GRHAA!!" it's really sad to see.

It's not about the money. It's about proper skilled customer support. Something EA/Bioware do not understand. If you do not think so, you are blind.

This should not be the norm in any line of business the issue with this line of business is this is expected by the consumer as normal. Trust me the server farm EA leases the servers from, I guarantee there are heavy penalties if they have unexpected downtime like in the millions of dollars penalty this is a standard SLA in the industry.

The most fun SLAs I ever had were for a trading application and its backend and servers. A downtime of simply, say, the 8 minutes the thing needed to restart was...expensive. Very much so.

This is a self-inflicted wound I am not sure what the QA department is or was but an off brand off cycle patch should not take apart your deliverable for an entire day. Should not happen any f'in way ever no excuse and on top of that to have a change record with out a clear recovery plan if the change goes side was is counter to every current industry standard, this is not 1999 where we just wing it and pray.

I have to wonder about the processes there as well, yes. I can only explain that one with them not really having a representative test environment, as hard as that is to believe. I would love to know whether this just fell apart under full load, or would have fallen apart anyway, just to know how large the mismanagement was there. And not going back to known state and taking the time to figure out what went sideways on a test system, but ploughing onwards sounds...I dont know, unusual.

I suppose I should broaden my horizon of MMORPGs. I was hoping to lay back for the evening after a long week of work and enjoy SWTOR and it's DOUBLE EVERYTHING event. I often buy boosted characters and I am so close to actually getting one character through there origin story.

I can now see quite a few people are descending into the salt mines for a full days labour so time for me to hit the old dusty trail.

'Twas fun earlier 5.4a oops thread but hopefully I shall return home tomorrow to hopefully a fully functioning SWTOR and a dead forum.;)

lol it cause of people whine that they push to fast and things go wrong if people would understand that coding a game is hard and takes time maybe it would not be broken

Actually, it really not that hard anymore comparability speaking like say EQ or DAOC when its 4 dudes in a garage, it's complex ill give you that lots of moving parts hardest part shaping the Network Traffic these games create a crap ton of traffic. but for the most part they off load a crap ton to the client computer and with out server side checks hence the speed hacks wall hack seen in this game this is really just taken advantage of the game loading on your RAM find the correct value for your toon and changing it so the server doesn't disconnect you, I can get into an other discussion but I won't.

Anyways for the most part, it's broken down into small separate teams each hopefully really good at what they do animations team, combat code team, data base team etc.

Not trying to through SHADE on anything but I worked on system that are just as complex ie voice analytics

Edited by Kinsal

well they have keeped us up dated so they are doing their job

actually they aint keeping us updated at all Eric said the original ETA was still the plan an ETA of 3hrs but its been over 4hrs just since ive been awake and looking at it idk how long it was down before i woke up

I don't have to make a game to criticise customer service. Don't tell me you are this foolish?

"No support"

Game has issues after update, they pull servers to fix issue, they give constant updates as they work, all will be fixed in under a whole day ($1)

"No Support"

well they have keeped us up dated so they are doing their job

It's their fault it's down in the first place. Unscheduled maintenance that was untested lead to another longer maintenance. Keeping us up to date is the bare minimum standard. However, the way they go about treating consumers, and their level of competence when it comes to patching their own game. Those are in fact below standard levels. I don't have to make a game to recognize flaws.

"No support"

Game has issues after update, they pull servers to fix issue, they give constant updates as they work, all will be fixed in under a whole day ($1)

"No Support"

Where did I say the game has no support period? Oh that's right, nowhere.

Try again.

Get those goldfish cracking

Hey folks,

As many of you are seeing already, there are some fairly serious issues that have cropped up with GU 5.4a this morning. We are bringing the servers down to investigate what is happening and we will need to do to address it. Hold tight. Updates to follow.

-eric