Dread Warlord Pack Changes

EricMusco

I bought a new hypercrate and was very disappointed. I actually did better getting new stuff on the last pack. Though I only got 3 chance cubes, I wound up with a ton of old items that i had already unlocked and not much new stuff that i cared about. Maybe it is just my back luck. I wound up with 12 color crystals, 6 or 8 old emotes, 6 or 8 old pets, ect,, but as far as new armor, i got one gold supplementary Tyth armor, and 2 supplementary warden's armor. I did get the gold speeder and a gold deco as well as a couple of silver mounts, but overall not enough to make it worthwhile. The rest was decos, pets, and bronze stuff from old packs, much of which I already had. As far as the new armor, there should be more drops. With the low drop rate i not only have to spend a lot of money for a hypercrate, but then i have to spend millions of credits on the gtn on other parts to finish out the set..

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just opened 2 hypercrates, that's right 52 packs, and I am very disappointed.

TL;DR -- I fell I wasted my money, and pack opening UI is annoying.

I don't want my money back. I gambled and lost. The system is RNG and that means it is going to suck sometimes.

I got ZERO platinum items, about 8 gold and rest silver. One of my golds wasn't even from this set, it was a jukebox from another set. For golds, I got 1 volatile weapon tuning, 1 part of the gifted shadow's armor set, and both of the gold mounts. The other 3 golds were decorations. I used to hate when hypercrates seemed like nothing but color crystals, I still got a decent number of those but now got 6 Olive Green and Tan Dye modules. So awesome.

Three new armor sets that some are excited about and I got a complete distinguished warden, only 1 part of the the gifted shadow and ZERO parts of the tythian disciple.

I remember in the past if I bought a couple of crates in the past I would end up with most of the armor. So when I bought 2 crates, I kind of expected the same thing. Of the 9 parts in this set I got 4.

I get it, it's an RNG system, which means someone has to lose, but you asked for feed back. The last few packs had not felt worth the money. I read the changes and thought that seems better. After opening 2 hypercrates, I am still disappointed in the pack system.

As an additional assessment:

I mentioned above that I hadn't really bought packs in awhile. This was about the time as the new pack opening experience was going on. So I had not really used it until now. I would prefer to see consistency in the places where items show up.

What I mean by this is, with this newest pack there are 5 items that you get. I spent most of the packs going, and which of these belongs to the new set? Especially since the decorations and dye aren't advertised. I have to guess which category everything belongs too. The number of times I got nothing but deco's and asked myself wheres the new item?

I would rather see center is always new pack item, 1 left of center is silver or better item, 1 right of center is random item, 2 left of center is jawa junk, 2 right of center is companion gift. Or something something along those lines.

Each pack now will now contain 5 slots, instead of the previous 4. Here is what each slot looks like:

1. Guaranteed new pack item. These items are all of Silver rarity or higher.
  2. Any Cartel Market item of any rarity, up to Platinum. Armor sets will drop as complete sets and Grand Chance Cubes can drop in this slot.
  3. Any Cartel Market item of Bronze or Silver rarity. Armor sets will drop as complete sets and Grand Chance Cubes can drop in this slot.
  4. Companion Gift
  5. Jawa Scraps

-eric

I never thought I'd say this but, after opening a few hypercrates today, please go back to the Grand Chance Cubes. Those were guaranteed credits when put on the GTN (they were selling for over 900k+ on Ebon Hawk last week).

Now, all I have is junk from those slots that's hardly worth anything.

For example, I got Glowing Eyes - Red and Glowing Eyes - Yellow in my hypercrates today. Both selling around 30k - 50k on the GTN. So now, instead of selling 2 Grand Chance Cubes at 1m each, I can sell these for a total of 70k or so. If people want to gamble on Grand Chance Cubes that's fine but don't force us into what is essentially opening them ourselves.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

I don't understand really what the difference is in the old item drops and getting a chance cube that drops the old items. The price goes up and they add another drop in the crate which is another older item, so it is basically an increase in price for another chance cube slot. We are really not getting more new items. Am I missing something? If they are going to do this shouldn't the added slot be another new item instead of another old item? That way each crate has 2 new items. Edited by Suprderk

Lurking shopper has returned to... join in the current replies that convey some disappointment with the new pack setup. I bought two and a half hypercrates (two full 26 packs, two five packs, and one single... ok not a complete 'half' but you get the gist). Without further ado, the rundown:

I have nearly two pages of Personal cargo storage full of old stuff. Some of it I can probably sell to recover credits and buy the missing 'new' items I did not get under these new percentages. Most of it will probably have to be discarded and 'trashed'. (Player Feedback Time: Can we take the glowing red/gold eyes and the banners and probably some of the unpopular pets/crystals/armors out of the rng rotation and make them 'buy with credits' at the fleet? I am sure incoming new players would probably love those and they're so oversaturated they'd probably make a nice in game purchasable thing.)

I managed to get one complete set of the silver armor, supplementary for the Gifted Shadow armor, and the top and bottom of the Tyth armor. I got a ridiculous amount of the Aratech recolors and two of the podracers and the devourer mount. I got so many dyes and crystals I am afraid those are going to be flooding the market if anyone else got a similar drop rate. I did not even get one of each of the new decorations and after two and a half hypercrates it would be kind of nice to get at least one of each of those. No companion requisition either but I realize those aren't always going to fall either even if you spend a full hundred buckeroos on in game content. I did manage to get one of the new tunings (which is really nice, and yay thank you for making those unlockable).

My Assessment: I feel like I just opened a hundred bucks worth of grand chance cubes and kind of got a few of the new things I wanted but not enough to make me feel good about my disposable spending for this cartel cycle. I definitely felt more fulfilled last week opening decoration packs and managing to get a few surprise unreleased decos along with stuff I wanted. I knew going in those were only decorations, I like decorations, it was a win win going in. Grand chance cubes are a chance at everything. I don't mind opening those when I get them in hypercrates but I like the option of selling them for a modest amount.

Now, to be fair, in the past I have OFTEN gotten ridiculous amounts of multiples of the lower tier mounts, crystals, dyes, armors, etc. in the new hypercrate releases. The real issue is that the new content numbers did not even hold a candle to the past content numbers that I received and the new content stuff I *did * get isn't really awesome in duplicate form (20 crystals, regardless of their type, is always a bad sign for their after market value).

So, long story short (Too late!) Maybe two of the items should be guaranteed new pack items instead of just the one? Or at least allow the one non-new item to just be a flat out grand chance cube? Some folks don't care to gamble and the going rate for GCCs on the market is a very nice/modest 600k-900k, depending on the new pack release date and amount up for sale. I know people have said "I'm sick of the chance cubes, stop it with those" but I don't think the answer they were looking for was "Ok we will get rid of the cube and unbox the old stuff for you before we give it to you" >_>

And I'd honestly looooove it if the jawa scrap could also alternate with a rare chance (like gold rare, not platinum rare) to get a cartel certificate instead.

Side note (but just as important): ... *is* the lack of 'donate to guild' on the new decos a glitch to be fixed later? I barely got any decorations and I'd rather not have to choose between making the guild look nice and making my personal homes look nice. I already have guilt that I couldn't even donate one of my sets of cantina deco wins from the Night Life event manually because of the legacy bind.

Ok, I bought a hypercrate and opened it ... for science. And it sucked. So much crap I didn't want from the old packs. Ok to be honest I don't really *want* anything from the old packs but there wasn't even anything good from the old packs that I could sell to buy the stuff I didn't get from the new packs. And I didn't get a lot of stuff from the new packs. Really felt not worth it at all.

Edit to add: Also, reducing the amount of "discount"? Not cool.

Edited by Elessara

By adding an entire item slot to the pack, along with giving you items as opposed to just Grand Chance Cubes we are confident you feel more value from opening Cartel Packs.

Keith, Eric,

how about for once you apply the well known: "BioWare's overdoing things", again? But for once in a good way.

I mean each CM change look like a cheap attempt at getting more $$$ without giving that much to the players and keeping feeding them the same ol' crap.

We are speaking of hard earned real $$$ that can buy full games on steam, worth hours or true content.

So why not making it so the players feels spoiled?

Are you so afraid you're going to lack existing assets to sell to the players?

Edited by Deewe

i thought the problem with the first change was that removing bronze and making that stuff silver, and the silvers to gold, and gold to platinum would be the rise in cost of unlocking them in collections.

is that something that will still be looked at? or was that a sneaky price increase you guys hope we will all forget about?

Honest question Eric, how is "any cartel market item up to platinum rarity" any different from "a Grand Chance Cube"? Is it mostly just to show immediate value? Because I thought GCCs (which can already drop in those two slots) already had a chance to drop anything?

This. If you keep the Grand Chance Cube in the packs, it gives us the fun of opening them, or the choice to sell them for potentially more than the item inside is worth. Also, putting a chance at an item from any pack at all takes away from the possibility that the new stuff will drop, making the new stuff more rare and the older stuff possibly less rare. I'm not sure I like it.

My hypercrate today gave me a Watchman's Meditation Hoverchair, which was a huge surprise to me. It also gave me the companion and the tuning, both of which are worthless to me, except as creditmakers. I'll sell them and be done with them. I don't like the droid companions at all. They're worthless because they cannot go out on crafting missions. If they could at least do the missions, they'd be worth something to me, but I'm not going to raise influence on any companion I can't use for crafting and not raising their influence makes them just this side of worthless in combat.

The tunings. Meh. I don't care about adding cosmetic effects to my weapons. I have the three sabers with effects built in that I wanted and I'm fine with that. The additional effects are ok but they just don't look right with my sabers. So, again, this tuning I got will just be credit-earning potential.

What I really wanted was the decos. I got a few of them, but only one of the ones I really wanted. I ended up with two of that one - the Jedi War Table. I wanted the Game Table, too, but instead old decos dropped, not even good ones, either. The Voss rug, of which I have several in my cargo hold waiting to be sold (Not a fan of that rug!!), and the Temple Sconce, which isn't bad but isn't exactly what I'd have wanted in a light, either.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the hypercrates. I only ever buy them anymore for the decos but those are getting too few drops, or too many drops of crap decos like the new "fixer-upper" ship deco. I mean, who would want something like that in their stronghold??? I sure don't!

Keith, Eric,

how about for once you apply the well known: "BioWare's overdoing things", again? But for once in a good way.

I mean each CM change look like a cheap attempt at getting more $$$ without giving that much to the players and keeping feeding them the same ol' crap.

We are speaking of hard earned real $$$ that can buy full game on steam, worth hours or true content.

So why not making it so the players feels spoiled?

Are you so afraid you're going to lack existing assets to sell to the players?

Yeah I think they might need to try spoiling people. If this many people are unhappy, there won't be significantly more sales until word of mouth spreads that the packs are dropping items like a pinata. Kinda like the Contraband Slot Machines. They were in high demand once word got out about how many certs you could get.

However, the original pack post says to me this directive is coming from over even Keith's head. Obviously they get that people are not pleased with packs, but their actions are coming off as too measured to help. That says they are walking a fine line here. There is another limiting factor beyond what players want.

I'm reading posts about people opening hypercrates and getting a sense of deja vu for some reason ... what can it be ...

Oh right, every new pack launched ever gets these posts. It's RNG ... why are people still acting surprised when it goes wrong for them? Many people will only come to post their disappointment ... if you aren't a forum regular and got great drops I highly doubt you would bother coming to the forums and this thread specifically to say so.

Same story, different day.

If you don't like RNG - stop buying the bloody packs. They will not change things as long as you keep throwing money at them.

I'll just be blunt. I just opened this hypercrate, and it is probably the worst one I've ever opened. I got several decoration duplicates, the 2 supplementary of the gold armors, the lower of the silver armor, and the white Aratech mount that already looks almost identical to one that the mount vendor sells for a few thousand credits. And I got a bunch of random old crap that won't sell for anything. You may have better luck, but after what I just witnessed, I'd need three or four of these hypercrates just to get a complete armor set. Not impressed, not even a little. Edited by Karasuman

I'm reading posts about people opening hypercrates and getting a sense of deja vu for some reason ... what can it be ...

Oh right, every new pack launched ever gets these posts. It's RNG ... why are people still acting surprised when it goes wrong for them? Many people will only come to post their disappointment ... if you aren't a forum regular and got great drops I highly doubt you would bother coming to the forums and this thread specifically to say so.

Same story, different day.

If you don't like RNG - stop buying the bloody packs. They will not change things as long as you keep throwing money at them.

Some people want to know what others are getting out of these packs so they can make a better-informed decision whether it's worth it for them to try their luck or not, especially since not all packs have the same RNG. You may disagree with the posts, but, oh well.

Edited by Karasuman

Some people want to know what others are getting out of these packs so they can make a better-informed decision whether it's worth it for them to try their luck or not, especially since not all packs have the same RNG. You may disagree with the posts, but, oh well.

Whose disagreeing? I am just pointing out "a fool and their money are soon parted".

Worth noting though ... hypercrates are likely to sell for 40 million+ early on and those credits usually easily buy you many new items from the same said pack within a week or two as contents flood the market. You want value for money? Use credits for items, don't open hypercrates.

Whose disagreeing? I am just pointing out "a fool and their money are soon parted".

Worth noting though ... hypercrates are likely to sell for 40 million+ early on and those credits usually easily buy you many new items from the same said pack within a week or two as contents flood the market. You want value for money? Use credits for items, don't open hypercrates.

I already have credits, so I don't buy these specifically to make credits off of them. I have passed on most of the recent hypercrates because I know they haven't been that great of a return for your money. The reason I bought this one is because of some of the changes they made, and because many of the newer items are pretty nice, but the majority of what I was getting was silver decos and old random stuff. While I didn't buy these expecting any one thing to drop, the fact that barely any of the new armor came out of 26 of these packs is awfully underwhelming. I'm not mad about it, I'm just giving my general input on what someone may or may not expect to get out of these.

I already have credits, so I don't buy these specifically to make credits off of them. I have passed on most of the recent hypercrates because I know they haven't been that great of a return for your money. The reason I bought this one is because of some of the changes they made, and because many of the newer items are pretty nice, but the majority of what I was getting was silver decos and old random stuff. While I didn't buy these expecting any one thing to drop, the fact that barely any of the new armor came out of 26 of these packs is awfully underwhelming. I'm not mad about it, I'm just giving my general input on what someone may or may not expect to get out of these.

I don't personally see how this is any worse than the previous pack though as you say you probably skipped over that.

It's the lack of variety in iterms that are giving poor drop rates to more liked items such as armor. I mean the previous pack had 2 sets and this has 3 ... the chances of getting an armor set on that previous pack from 1 hypercrate were worse than this one.

I think people need to petition for more items added back into the packs more than anything - sure it might not help you get that 1 armor set from 1 hypercrate (hell, it could make it worse) but at least you would get better chances of getting a variety of goods instead of duplicate decos/crystals for your new pack slot.

That's why I was personally put off when they -again- removed bronze drops from new packs. Some of those bronze sets from recent packs were better than the silver and it added a better sense of variety to the pack.

That's why I was personally put off when they -again- removed bronze drops from new packs. Some of those bronze sets from recent packs were better than the silver and it added a better sense of variety to the pack.

This. I agree 100%.

Everyone has their own reasons for getting Cartel Packs. Armor, mounts, etc. For me, the primary motivation for getting Cartel packs is that pack's decorations.

Someone posted the results of opening a hypercrate of Dread Warlord packs on Reddit. Out of the 26 packs, they received 8 decorations. Not multiples of 8 different decorations. Only. Eight. Single. Decorations.

Nope.

I've never been a Cartel Market whale, but during the Stronghold shipment I was at least a Cartel Market gulf porpoise. Because of the decorations. RNG determined which decorations I'd get from Stronghold packs, not IF I'd get decorations.

Maybe someone else gets more decorations from Dread Warlord packs than the reddit poster. My issue is that when a pack contains decorations, I purchase that pack to get those decorations. The chance part being which decorations I get.

I will not be purchasing Dread Warlord Cartel Packs with ingame credits, monthly grant Cartel Coins, nor real life money.

Edited by Nmyownworld

Everyone has their own reasons for getting Cartel Packs. Armor, mounts, etc. For me, the primary motivation for getting Cartel packs is that pack's decorations.

Someone posted the results of opening a hypercrate of Dread Warlord packs on Reddit. Out of the 26 packs, they received 8 decorations. Not multiples of 8 different decorations. Only. Eight. Single. Decorations.

Nope.

I've never been a Cartel Market whale, but during the Stronghold shipment I was at least a Cartel Market gulf porpoise. Because of the decorations. RNG determined which decorations I'd get from Stronghold packs, not IF I'd get decorations.

Maybe someone else gets more decorations from Dread Warlord packs than the reddit poster. My issue is that when a pack contains decorations, I purchase that pack to get those decorations. The chance part being which decorations I get.

I will not be purchasing Dread Warlord Cartel Packs with ingame credits, monthly grant Cartel Coins, nor real life money.

But you can usually get decorations so much more cheaply than the packs/crates themselves when the pack is fresh? Selling a crate would yield enough credits to buy more decos from that crate than you'd ever got as drops.

In saying that if everyone did as I suggested there would be no decorations to buy of course.

Full sets don't respect the original quality of the item, a bronze armour can be a gold drop as a set.

Full sets don't respect the original quality of the item, a bronze armour can be a gold drop as a set.

What do you mean?

I know there are some bugs where they have the wrong armor rarity in the wrong rarity crate (e.g. bronze items in a silver supplementary pack) but these aren't super common.

I stopped throwing money at them a long time ago, around when 4.0 hit and they completely changed the direction of the packs in terms of content. RNG for the packs isn't the real issue here, it's the make-up of the packs themselves and what the chances and odds are of getting new pack contents in the new packs. BioWare have watered down the odds of receiving new pack contents to such an extent and it'll get worse with every new pack released going with the current model including old pack items, that those odds simply are not worth it to me personally.

I mean really, a lot of players will buy or open the new packs purely to try to collect the new items from those packs. They're not normally trying to get the older items as they have the rotation on the embargo for packs / shipments plus had a really good idea of the bronze / silver / gold packs of various flavours that they rolled into one with the GCC (which again waters down the odds of getting what you wanted).

Essentially they're simply trying to sell you more, while giving you less of what you wanted.

i didnt bought an hypercrate with real money/CC in a long time.i think more then 2 years.

i decided to buy an hypercrate this time around since i wanted to try my luck on the gifted shadow chestpiece.

so...i got the 3 new sets complete (head, chest, gloves , etc etc). i got the new platinuum crossbow.

i cant complain since i got exactly what i wanted, although i would assume i got really really lucky.

Edited by Threjyan

i cant complain since i got exactly what i wanted, although i would assume i got really really lucky.

You got really lucky.

If what you say is correct, then you were one in a thousand. Getting three entire armour sets and a platinum item from the new pack, espescially with the idea that only one drop is guaranteed to be a new CM item, and the rest is opened GCC and scrap/companion gifts, it is a one in a thousand thing that you get two golden sets and a platinum item complete scot free within 25 packs.

I haven't bought a pack myself yet, but I've spoken to guildies and in-game friends who spent either referral link CC or a few bucks on the crates in the past two days. Most of them were gravely disappointed because GCC were missing.

Thing is: They didn't like GCC. They didn't like opening them. They didn't like RNG in RNG. But what they liked was a safety net. You can either open the packs and hope you get something good, or sell them for a guaranteed 1.5m a piece. But the chances are that opening these packs will not yield anything. Of course, you could always be lucky, but statistic probability suggests most of these packs won't even out, or even return close to 20% of their GTN worth.

Essentially, the added benefit of GCC as safety nets and loss compensators was great. The new slot is just a pre-opened GCC in that regard. It took out the safety net.