Does jumping have any effect on incoming damage in PVP?

ViktorAres

I've seen some people jump repeatedly when they are being focused in ranked PVP. It's usually Assassins, but I've also seen some other classes do it.

Does it actually help reduce accuracy of incoming damage or something?? Or is it just to avoid being clicked on? It doesn't seem very useful.

It doesnt do anything. Its just something to do besides standing around. It's more of a nonverbal lol than anything. Some people move back and forth while hitting me, which looks just silly. Strafing left and right i can understand, but back and forth? I cringe. Jumping around is fun tho.

it actually slows you down to "jump" in game.

the primary purpose to do so in ranked/regs is to turn on the spot as a key turner. it allows you to keep pressing "w" an turn without going in a slow circle.

Edited by Seterade

it actually slows you down to "jump" in game.

the primary purpose to do so in ranked/regs is to turn on the spot as a key turner. it allows you to keep pressing "w" an turn without going in a slow circle.

This is a lie, no one key turns in this game

no one.

Shut it down

I do.

in fact.. if hes on harb, im willing to bet hes seen one or two of my main incarnations running around.. Iv been in a bit of a name meme right now, cant settle on anything.

Edited by Seterade

Jumping forces a refresh on your location to the server. It does have benefit that way, it means you won't be rubberbanded back to your previous location if you were rooted while moving, or take damage from out of LoS. That being said, it also slows you down considerably. People who bunnyhop constantly are hurting themselves, they do not benefit from it as much as they're killing their spacebar.

You can push them higher if you are lucky. :D

btw, maybe these jumps comes from WoW or ESO or whatever, because in some games you can save your char from AoE damage with these tricks. :)

Just for me, but it's just fun to jump from time to time. :p

Edited by Glower

Might be a legacy thing from wow? Years ago you used to be able to mess with hit registration by bunny hopping. Also the side to side twitchers might be reflexively trying to abuse rear hit boxes. You used to be able to get backstab to work by twitching through the hit boxes.

Both moves are exploitative scum moves, but some of it may be due to that.

Edited by kamikosong

You can push them higher if you are lucky. :D

btw, maybe these jumps comes from WoW or ESO or whatever, because in some games you can save your char from AoE damage with these tricks. :)

Just for me, but it's just fun to jump from time to time. :p

I almost forgot something about jumping in pvp.

jumping in pvp vs knockback can cause a knock ^up an right back down in place. so snipers get screwed, merc an sorcs too.

Jumping allows you to turn your character vision (mid jump) to another direction but stay moving in the initial direction.

I do this all the time to tab target a melee on my arse who I want to stun/mez.

Also, jump turn, knockbackroot, turn, continue.

The reason why you mostly see it on sins is because if you jump and turn a lot your maul will in almost all cases be usuable no matter whether you are standing before or behind your target. It does make sense and I would recommend to do the same.

If you do it really quickly it sometimes even works in PvE. Same goes for operatives backstab.

For other classes, as others described, it should only lead to quicker updates of your location which can lead to both advantages and disadvantages, depending on the situation.

It doesnt do anything. Its just something to do besides standing around. It's more of a nonverbal lol than anything. Some people move back and forth while hitting me, which looks just silly. Strafing left and right i can understand, but back and forth? I cringe. Jumping around is fun tho.

The strafing is also cringy. Especially when you are stunned. I bet every time an operative or sin attacks someone from the back while their opponent is stunned, while strafing, they think they are so gosu. They look like clowns really.

In regards to moving forward and backwards, i think those are clickers trying to move their character by instinct, cus they feel should, as an end in itself, while finding their abilities with the mouse and clicking them.

The jumping while running away i think is the guy trying to get his char to move faster and it's some irrational subconscious belief that you somehow are gonna get away easier while you press more buttons that make your character move. Also it's a sign of helplessness , resigning your fate, while they are nuking you.

This counts for jumping spam though. If it's just a few times it might mean he is viewing what's happening behind him.

Edited by Kaedusz

I only bother to jump to get over obstacles to get away or just when i'm moving too fast for the target. Example having predation and the enemy is slowed, makes it a bit easier to not get juked out while predicting their direction, though it barely matters.

Jumping while using Smash/Force Sweep increases the damage of your next Smash/Force Sweep by 100% + 10x the amount of meters jumped.

I always do this in ranked games, especially on maps like Orbital Station and Makeb Mesa Arena.

Team is fighting down and I camo out with my marauder to go on top and then I smash down and usually manage to kill the whole team. Few people know about this trick and that's why I am a high rated ranked beast.

I have been accused of hacks before but I just say git gud and shut your baby cry mouth.

Also moving forwards and backwards will give your abilities more damage as long as you use them while you move forward to give them more momentum so they hit harder.

Edited by DarthYun

Jumping while using Smash/Force Sweep increases the damage of your next Smash/Force Sweep by 100% + 10x the amount of meters jumped.

I always do this in ranked games, especially on maps like Orbital Station and Makeb Mesa Arena.

Team is fighting down and I camo out with my marauder to go on top and then I smash down and usually manage to kill the whole team. Few people know about this trick and that's why I am a high rated ranked beast.

I have been accused of hacks before but I just say git gud and shut your baby cry mouth.

Also moving forwards and backwards will give your abilities more damage as long as you use them while you move forward to give them more momentum so they hit harder.

:rak_grin: