Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

Those saying TEH's current population is fine are wrong - TEH has never had group finder working for Ops or ranked PVP (you can at least get ranked pops during prime time during the beginning and endings of seasons but they are just with the same people over and over and are very easy to exploit). TEH needs more people.

And that's indicative of a role play server. Most peeps run in small tight-knit groups and stick together rather than PUG with the group finder. Ebon Hawk has the second highest population in NA, but it's not a PUG population. It's more of a community oriented population Perhaps Harbinger will better suit your PUG needs.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's indicative of a role play server. Most peeps run in small tight-knit groups and stick together rather than PUG with the group finder. Ebon Hawk has the second highest population in NA, but it's not a PUG population. It's more of a community oriented population Perhaps Harbinger will better suit your PUG needs.

^^ Absolutely correct assessment.

But RP servers stopped being RP servers a couple years ago.

Those saying TEH's current population is fine are wrong - TEH has never had group finder working for Ops or ranked PVP (you can at least get ranked pops during prime time during the beginning and endings of seasons but they are just with the same people over and over and are very easy to exploit). TEH needs more people.

Really? So Rp doesn't happen on Ebon Hawk? News to me when I was on last night and when I was on the fleet I could have sworn there were people still roleplaying there. While it may not be an official roleplay server it is still an unofficial rp servers and those that are looking for roleplay come there.

As far as OPS those normally happen within guilds or groups of friends. As far as ranked same thing.

Why would I be surprised? I corrected your mistaken claim, nothing more.

What mistaken claim?

I offered a couple of reasons why the LFG tool might not be popping as quickly for some players as they would like to pop. I never made any claims that either one, or both, were the only reasons.

PVP, being group content, would logically fall into the second possible reason that I offered--the one which you not-so-cleverly chose to leave out of your reply. That would be the fact that some people choose to do their group content with friends and guild mates--people they know and trust, not some random stranger.

See look at all the RPrs going on about how toxic the harbinger is it makes me laugh it's all biowares fault they need to start coming down on this so they make places like the harbinger a great server for all so stop blaming the players Eric Musco and Keith need to come out and admit they let things go you can report people 100 times and they still do it same with those credit sellers same they keep doing it a week on this tells me Bioware doesn't care so do you think they will care about the RP players being put on the harb NOPE lol

I would monitor the fleet my self and ban each and every one of these toxic crusaders on the harbinger so Bioware supply me the tools, a free sub and who knows what will happen :/.

See look at all the RPrs going on about how toxic the harbinger is it makes me laugh it's all biowares fault they need to start coming down on this so they make places like the harbinger a great server for all so stop blaming the players Eric Musco and Keith need to come out and admit they let things go you can report people 100 times and they still do it same with those credit sellers same they keep doing it a week on this tells me Bioware doesn't care so do you think they will care about the RP players being put on the harb NOPE lol

I would monitor the fleet my self and ban each and every one of these toxic crusaders on the harbinger so Bioware supply me the tools, a free sub and who knows what will happen :/.

The responsibility for player behavior ultimately falls on THE PLAYER, not the gaming company.

The TOXIC, TROLLISH PLAYERS are responsible for Harbinger's reputation, NOT BW.

Is there more that BW could do with sufficient resources? Yes, but ultimately the PLAYER is responsible for their own behavior.

To paraphrase and old saying:

Integrity is not behaving in a responsible manner because you are being watched by someone in authority. Integrity is behaving in a responsible manner when no one in authority is watching.

The responsibility for player behavior ultimately falls on THE PLAYER, not the gaming company.

The TOXIC, TROLLISH PLAYERS are responsible for Harbinger's reputation, NOT BW.

Is there more that BW could do with sufficient resources? Yes, but ultimately the PLAYER is responsible for their own behavior.

To paraphrase and old saying:

Integrity is not behaving in a responsible manner because you are being watched by someone in authority. Integrity is behaving in a responsible manner when no one in authority is watching.

Rata do you play any other games to see how companys actually make every server healthy because Thor's hammer will come down very hard on the toxic players ?

Rata do you play any other games to see how companys actually make every server healthy because Thor's hammer will come down very hard on the toxic players ?

If you bothered to read my post, you would have noticed that I acknowledged there was more that BW could do if they had sufficient resources.

Ultimately, though, the responsibility for a player's behavior falls on the PLAYER. To try to place the blame anywhere else is dishonest, to say the least.

Really? So Rp doesn't happen on Ebon Hawk? News to me when I was on last night and when I was on the fleet I could have sworn there were people still roleplaying there. While it may not be an official roleplay server it is still an unofficial rp servers and those that are looking for roleplay come there.

As far as OPS those normally happen within guilds or groups of friends. As far as ranked same thing.

Just because RP happens on TEH doesn't make it a RP server. PVP also happens on TEH as does PVE. New/returning players picking servers see nothing about server type or expected behavior from the game client. You're free to make rp guilds on any server.

You're free to make rp guilds on any server.

While this is true.... it would be an terri-bad move to do so on Harbinger. Harbinger is not just full of toxic trolls (which are only a minority, but give the entire server a bad name because of their prolific trolling)... it also is quite hostile in general toward any form of RP play in any public or open setting.

While all types of play take place on Ebon Hawk, that does not change the fact that this long running and healthy server very much has an established culture that encourages and respects RP in game. Yes.. we have some trolls too.... but they do not have the backing of the wider server population egging them on to troll RPers and so their impact is much more limited and more easily contained via /reporting.

Ebon Hawk and Harbinger have very different communities within them. And that is fine.. as long as players are playing on the one that best suits their needs, and that said players respect the style of community present.

Ebon Hawk is very much NOT the best server for unguilded players who rely on random PUGs for group game play. Harbinger is a much better choice for these players.

Now.. if we take some of the lunacy expressed in this thread to the discussion... if Harbinger players actually think that merging a server like Ebon Hawk together with Harbinger (even if it was via a new server that both were merged to) ... guess what... those Harbinger players that so desperately want large population counts to feed random PUGs are going to be sorely disappointed. Ebon Hawk players will stick to their guilds, regular groups, and friends and will continue to largely shun random grouping. Period. Full stop. In other words.. moving a community like Ebon Hawk and forcing it to play with non-RPers who are dependent on random grouping WILL NOT WORK as desired.

Edited by Andryah

Just because RP happens on TEH doesn't make it a RP server. PVP also happens on TEH as does PVE. New/returning players picking servers see nothing about server type or expected behavior from the game client. You're free to make rp guilds on any server.

Well said! Very true.

Now.. if we take some of the lunacy expressed in this thread to the discussion... if Harbinger players actually think that merging a server like Ebon Hawk together with Harbinger (even if it was via a new server that both were merged to) ... guess what... those Harbinger players that so desperately want large population counts to feed random PUGs are going to be sorely disappointed. Ebon Hawk players will stick to their guilds, regular groups, and friends and will continue to largely shun random grouping. Period. Full stop. In other words.. moving a community like Ebon Hawk and forcing it to play with non-RPers who are dependent on random grouping WILL NOT WORK as desired.

So much this!

So much this!

So how many servers do you think we need? 2 servers? 4? 10? We have a population that wouldn't fill up ONE...how spread out do you want them? It's not about more people to group with, it's about the game feeling alive...something that is lacking right now on ALL servers. Activity is good for a game, F2P players help with that feeling of "life"...right now the game feels dead in many ways...so what do you think we need? I honestly don't see a justification for more than one server. I understand the desire for RP specific servers, and that's fine, I can respect that, but I certainly can't justify it.

So how many servers do you think we need? 2 servers? 4? 10? We have a population that wouldn't fill up ONE...how spread out do you want them? It's not about more people to group with, it's about the game feeling alive...something that is lacking right now on ALL servers. Activity is good for a game, F2P players help with that feeling of "life"...right now the game feels dead in many ways...so what do you think we need? I honestly don't see a justification for more than one server. I understand the desire for RP specific servers, and that's fine, I can respect that, but I certainly can't justify it.

'Full' by what measure? Bioware kick their AWS game up a notch and maybe their servers could handle four million players each. They could also change a setting and only allow four hundred. Or hell, four.

Luckily, we don't need you to justify anything. Bioware doesn't answer to you, on an individual level. You're just an account number that shows up in some metrics. And if there are enough of those account numbers with the 'subscriber' flag showing activity on any one server to pay the cost of maintaining that server, they have zero fiduciary responsibility to shut that server down.

If Ebon Hawk can pay for a server with 4,000 active subscribers, let Harbinger have 96,000 and leave us alone. If Jung Ma can't pay for a server with 40 active subscribers (probably not an exaggeration at this point...), Bioware would legitimately have cause to stop maintaining that server.

Before you bring up Torstatus, nobody knows what "Light" is - nobody knows what "Standard" is. A server with the memory and processing power to handle 400,000 players at a time might show "Light" with a mere 10,000 players active on it. Nobody knows where the lines are drawn, except Bioware. We don't even know if the values are the same for every server.

Many players on Ebon Hawk are content with our current population level. We have our guilds, our friends, and our friends' guilds - and we're still picking up new players all the time, and rolling them into our shiny happy community. Many players on Ebon Hawk would not be content to be rolled into Harbinger. I daresay that more players from Ebon Hawk would leave the game over being merged with Harbinger's player pool than would do so over our own dwindling numbers.

The only justification for closing a server and/or forcing a merge is if the server cannot financially carry its own weight. You and I don't know what it costs to run any of the individual servers, and neither of us knows how deep each server is in the red or black. Only Bioware has either answer. That they're not exactly scrambling to merge even dead servers - or even so much as offer free transfers, let alone reward people for transferring off of dead servers - means it's likely that none of the servers right now are of so great a burden on the bottom line that they feel the need.

Actually, that's not entirely true - if you try to make a new character on one of the old "PvP servers" you get a pop-up box saying something like, "this is a PvP server and you may be attacked by other players here. Continue?" They still have not fixed that.

Actually, that's not entirely true - if you try to make a new character on one of the old "PvP servers" you get a pop-up box saying something like, "this is a PvP server and you may be attacked by other players here. Continue?" They still have not fixed that.

Same thing when transferring characters, by the way.

Question for you since you seem to want everyone on one server. If they do what some of the posters are wanting and that is forcing (yes forcing) everyone on one server, who are you going to blame when and if this happens that pushing the roleplayers and the ones that don't want to deal with the toxic behaviour of Harbinger to the point they just quit. How is that going to help with more people when the ones you tried to get on the server just quits. You may not think that people will but dealing with toxic people on a game that I pay to play can get old very quickly and my ignore list can only hold so much so yes I will quit and there are more that will do so. No game is worth the hassle if you are constantly dealing with toxic people on a game.

It is already quite evident most people on this forum don't want roleplayers to continue their roleplay if the roleplayers don't group up with them. They want everyone to use group pickups because that is the only way they seem to want to play. I rarely use group pickups due to the fact I rather play with people I know and trust.

Edited by casirabit

Question for you since you seem to want everyone on one server. If they do what some of the posters are wanting and that is forcing (yes forcing) everyone on one server, who are you going to blame when and if this happens that pushing the roleplayers and the ones that don't want to deal with the toxic behaviour of Harbinger to the point they just quit. How is that going to help with more people when the ones you tried to get on the server just quits. You may not think that people will but dealing with toxic people on a game that I pay to play can get old very quickly and my ignore list can only hold so much so yes I will quit and there are more that will do so. No game is worth the hassle if you are constantly dealing with toxic people on a game.

It is already quite evident most people on this forum don't want roleplayers to continue their roleplay if the roleplayers don't group up with them. They want everyone to use group pickups because that is the only way they seem to want to play. I rarely use group pickups due to the fact I rather play with people I know and trust.

RP people can do it fine on the harbinger or a new mega server with no issues at all as so many people on this forum always say just report and ignore so there you go report and ignore lol.

Same thing when transferring characters, by the way.

The web app hasn't been updated. The transfer page is old and mentions a couple things that aren't true or relevant any more, as does the swtor status page - those are examples of BW laziness/sloppiness, nothing else.

I didn't know the game client still warned users about creating characters on pvp servers - I have created charactdrs on some recently and didn't notice a popup... but that doesn't mean one doesn't happen in various cases. At any rate there's no mention of rp'ing or rp server designations.