Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

I don't think you need 2 servers in the West, as I don't believe they currently have a major RP server out there.

As for killing the other servers, it could work, since the game's population seems low enough that I don't think even people who say the enjoy desolation will have much to complain about, but then of course for Bware it's a more risky technical move, since there's more to screw up. It would kind of make some sense to do it at 6.0 since everything would start fresh and it wouldn't interrupt what progression teams are currently doing.

Not necessarily my first choice (as it's basically a year too slow) and there's still not justification for not immediately marking and separating servers on the server selection screen.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was no troll it's what I think is going to happen and if Rata doesn't like what I say don't comment it's simple but asking for a source after i said Supreme leader Snoke told me is kinda odd but each person has a point of view and this thread is all about that.

Then maybe a different phrasing might have been a better option.

Instead of phrasing it as a definite "They are coming...":

They are coming with 6.0 they will have 2 servers per region and that's it I heard this from Supreme Leader Snoke.

maybe something that makes it clear that it is only your thoughts, like:

"I think we may see a consolidation of servers down to 2 servers per region when 6.0 is released. " or "I would not be surprised to see servers consolidated with the release of 6.0."

might have been better.

Regardless, it may be a matter for the forum mods to sort out if anyone reported your post as trolling.

Edited by Ratajack

Don't forget all the griefing during the rakghoul event! People running into or jumping down from higher levels onto groups of people RPing right as they're about to explode to make everyone get infected. Your ignore list doesn't mean squat in terms of preventing that!

Also, any items or class abilities that force other players' toons to behave in a certain way (I'm looking at you, Party Bomb) can be spammed on top of RPers to be disruptive. AoE abilities like Mortar Volley can be spammed on players. Even when you have players on ignore, they can still flood built-in emotes in the game to make the chat window scroll up constantly so you can't catch what other people have said. Or they can just bypass the ignore list entirely by switching to an alt and continuing the harassment/disruptive chat behavior. Really nasty sorts of griefers just mass report spam on RPers to squelch them temporarily, completely preventing them from doing the thing they're paying their subscription to do in the first place.

In short, those who like to grief and harass RPers have many creative and disruptive ways of doing so.

The sheer amount of effort and thought that these people put into disrupting you guys...no offense but it's actually quite funny to me that they would go to such ridiculous lengths just to disrupt you! I almost (note I said almost) admire their tenacity and creativity, if only they would channel that energy into better directions.

Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky

Don't forget all the griefing during the rakghoul event! People running into or jumping down from higher levels onto groups of people RPing right as they're about to explode to make everyone get infected. Your ignore list doesn't mean squat in terms of preventing that!

The sheer amount of effort and thought that these people put into disrupting you guys...no offense but it's actually quite funny to me that they would go to such ridiculous lengths just to disrupt you! I almost (note I said almost) admire their tenacity and creativity, if only they would channel that energy into better directions.

As there is a daily for infecting x number of people, why is it automatically assumed this is/was a grief?

As there is a daily for infecting x number of people, why is it automatically assumed this is/was a grief?

Yeah, seems a bit weird that exploding the infection is considered greifing when Bioware actually designed it as a daily to do just that. It's more likely these are other RPers too, who are trying to get the daily done and not actual griefers.

Also why not just incorporate the event into the RPing? What's so hard about calling out "incoming infected, run", as part of the RP experience? I know I do when I'm RPing.

nah but I think that's when the huge stuff will come it's the final phase into SWTOR as in a new main stream patch.

In his latest SWTOR stream Kid-Lee, one of the Bioware Influencers, said he believed server merges would be incoming around this time next year, so July, August, September 2018 and I honestly find that a reasonable assumption. Server merges are an endeavour of gigantic proportions, so the devs definitely will be needing time to prepare and then implement all. But they're incoming, that is for sure as the game needs it to survive. So as I said a long while ago, it's not a question of 'if' but 'when' and honestly the moment they have fixed all the technical issues surrounding server merges it can't come too soon in my opinion ^_^

Edited by Ylliarus

BW, merge whatever you want, but please, with the exception of RP servers like Ebon Hawk.

Whatever BW decides, there's absolutely no reason to 'shut down' the game! Apparently, there seem to be a number of players that want the game taken away from ALL players, if they don't get what they want.

Edited by Tisaren

In his latest SWTOR stream Kid-Lee, one of the Bioware Influencers, said he believed server merges would be incoming around this time next year, so July, August, September 2018 and I honestly find that a reasonable assumption. Server merges are an endeavour of gigantic proportions, so the devs definitely will be needing time to prepare and then implement all. But they're incoming, that is for sure as the game needs it to survive. So as I said a long while ago, it's not a question of 'if' but 'when' and honestly the moment they have fixed all the technical issues surrounding server merges it can't come too soon in my opinion ^_^

Once again, we have someone putting more faith in a third party "source" than in an actual official BW source, possibly for no reason other than the third party "source" says what they want to hear, whereas the official BW source would seem to indicate that server population consolidation would be voluntary without forced server merges.

There has been no word from any official BW source since Keith's interview--in which he stated that BW does NOT want to forcibly move any players who are happy where they are.

As noted previously, we may see server merges at some point. We may also see one or more new, larger capacity servers added, and players encouraged to migrate to one of those new, larger capacity servers if they wish to play on a higher population server.

BW, merge whatever you want, but please, with the exception of RP servers like Ebon Hawk.

Whatever BW decides, there's absolutely no reason to 'shut down' the game! Apparently, there seem to be a number of players that want the game taken away from ALL players, if they don't get what they want.

Yeah, leave my progenitor alone.

It still has morons on it but I know where they live, so to speak. It being an RP server they congregate in certain areas so I know where to avoid.

My ever growing ignore list will thank you. I already have a hair trigger with that thing.

Once again, we have someone putting more faith in a third party "source" than in an actual official BW source, possibly for no reason other than the third party "source" says what they want to hear,

This from someone who wants to censor and punish people for saying "Emperor Snoke" says there will be server mergers. If there's anyone who posts incredibly dishonest and biased comments it's you.

whereas the official BW source would seem to indicate that server population consolidation would be voluntary without forced server merges.

This could not be more wrong. This comment is going to be down there with comments like "computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." (Popular Mechanics, 1949). Mark your words.

There has been no word from any official BW source since Keith's interview--in which he stated that BW does NOT want to forcibly move any players who are happy where they are.

Want has nothing to do with it. When did BW ever want to merge servers, yet they did it anyway.

As noted previously, we may see server merges at some point. We may also see one or more new, larger capacity servers added, and players encouraged to migrate to one of those new, larger capacity servers if they wish to play on a higher population server.

"Hurray, boys! We've got them. We'll finish them up and then go home to our station."

General George Custer, before battle with Indians at Little Big Horn

Keep telling yourself that.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

This could not be more wrong. This comment is going to be down there with comments like "computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." (Popular Mechanics, 1949). Mark your words.

Maybe you should listen to the previously linked interview with Keith (the actual BW source) with an open, objective mind, if that is even possible.

If that is the case the game will be shut by then because no one is going to stick around if they can't get group content on those dead servers.

I think you should relisten to it as well because even you've put a spin on what Keith actually said.

How would you describe Keith stating that they do NOT want to force players to move if they are happy where they are?

How would you describe Keith stating that they may add new, larger servers and provide incentives for people to move to those new servers?

How would you describe Keith stating that they do NOT want to force players to move if they are happy where they are?

How would you describe Keith stating that they may add new, larger servers and provide incentives for people to move to those new servers?

I would describe them as speculative at best and observe past actions as a guideline. Many do not want to go to work or pay taxes or visit their inlaws but they do because they must. Taking the words want and may as a definitive coupled with past actions would be something I would describe as putting more faith than deserved in a statement.

I would say he doesn't want to have to force people, but he also said they were looking at everything and that they would want to make sure there weren't any problems if they did merge. So he never said they wouldn't do it and he never said they would.

If you are only going to say part of what he says to spin the conversation in your favour, it's dishonest. I don't know if you do it intentionally or if you didnt listen to the whole thing an only heard what you wanted to hear. I suggest you listen to it again so you don't spin the truth too much.

I would say he doesn't want to have to force people, but he also said they were looking at everything and that they would want to make sure there weren't any problems if they did merge. So he never said they wouldn't do it and he never said they would.

If you are only going to say part of what he says to spin the conversation in your favour, it's dishonest. I don't know if you do it intentionally or if you didnt listen to the whole thing an only heard what you wanted to hear. I suggest you listen to it again so you don't spin the truth too much.

Tell me how

Once again, we have someone putting more faith in a third party "source" than in an actual official BW source, possibly for no reason other than the third party "source" says what they want to hear, whereas the official BW source would seem to indicate that server population consolidation would be voluntary without forced server merges.

is anything but an acknowledgment that nothing has been definitively decided, or communicated.

Midday Sunday and not one US server is at standard lvl. Sad, very sad. Even four months ago EH had standard at this time. Now even the most populated server doesn't reach standard.

The Game is dying. The white knights can say that's been said since launch, but most of those white knights weren't here at launch and don't know what a real server population is.

When you can't even jump on in the middle of the day on a weekend to play some group content, the game is on its last legs.

If they don't merge them into regions soon, it will even be too late for that and they'll have to merge all servers into just one to get enough people together to do a flash point.