Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017

EricMusco

Revans not locked behind an operation. You can either do an op or a couple small quests, then you get to face him one on one.

And there is no continuation of the story via the Op in Iokath. Its basically just a side quest with a 30 second turn in conversation afterwards that you automatically got. You can drop it and you'll be able to continue the story the next time one drops.

ah . well then i missed the revan resolution somhow. becuase i did some things with him and then had the epilogue. checked and the killing revan thing is a operation . was a bit freaked.

and good to know that iokath currently has no other story left and the operation is just sidestuff.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah . well then i missed the revan resolution somhow. becuase i did some things with him and then had the epilogue. checked and the killing revan thing is a operation . was a bit freaked.

and good to know that iokath currently has no other story left and the operation is just sidestuff.

Yeah, BWA learned the "Locking the resolution to a storyline" lesson after The Dread Masters and Oricon. The way they are going now is much better for both types of players in the game.

When the Revan story is done, you get a choice between "create a strike to team to take down Revan" or "inspire Republic/Imperial commanders to help you during your assault".

If you choose the former, you have to get into the Operation, take down the bosses (Malaphar, two massive Walkers, Underlurker, etc) before getting to Revan, and killing him with your Ops group.

If you choose the latter, you have to attack Revan's weaker, soloable forces to gain enough support, then the coalition forces take down all of the bosses and you only fight the Revan boss fight while getting support from Satele Shan, Marr, Lana Beniko, and every other important character. It's kinda neat imo.

I'm not Keith, but I'll hop in on this one!

You're definitely right - our goal was absolutely to encourage Open World PvP on Iokath. One of our main motivations for including stuff like playable vehicles and Op bosses and Player loot was to make PvP on Iokath a unique and interesting experience compared to Outlaw's Den or Ilum. And, yeah, it just doesn't seem to have grabbed folks' interest.

I don't think that forcing Players to participate in PvP is the answer - SWTOR just isn't that kind of game - so we need to look elsewhere for solutions. Presumably better incentives would be a great way to start, but I'd love to hear your thoughts (and everyone else's) on the subject. In the coming weeks one of the discussion topics we will make is on this very topic!

When I say forcing, I don't mean players should be pulled in from other parts of the game. Do consider the discussion I had with Caisarabbit earlier in this thread, where I suggested that players with the purple story mission get PvP-immunity, the Operation be given a separate entrance point from Odessen or the Gravestone, and the Iokath Dailies be marked as red missions like the Gree Event dailies. With all of that done, Iokath could be converted into a place like Outlaw's Den where Ops group sized PvP is allowed. This wouldn't be forcing players to PvP, as they came on the planet by choice to progress an explicitly red mission, and the ones who came for other missions would be given backups like I said earlier.

The only people who get the short end of the stick here would be crafters.... I've heard Iokath is the only place giving the highest tier mats right now. That'd need a change.

If the above "forcing" isn't an option you'd like to consider, there are other ways. The ADDITION of objectives that directly relate to PvP could be the first. Not just "kill a player to get loot, that you can only use to kill more players". Give dead players a chance of dropping UCs, Command Crates and Warzone Crafting Lockboxes. Add certain missions that can only be progressed in the PvP instance. Maybe this option works better the previous one? Let PvErs progress all currentl existing dailies on the PvE instance, and let crafters craft, and story-goers do their story. ADD red missions that are only progressed in the PvP instance. In my opinion red missions worked out really well in the Gree Event dailies. Just having two of those missions makes the planet so much more active in OWPvP, the only downside is that it forces small groups on you. Simply adding red missions to the existing Iokath lineup will encourage OWPvP, while still allowing players to stay as far away from PvP as possible if they'd so like it.

Finally, consider moving the regions and the NPC density a bit. The way it is right now, Imps and Pubs are in separate Imp controlled and Pub controlled regions, even when they're inside the "Contested" area. The west half of the map has really dense concentrations of base-defender level Pub NPCs, and the east half has a really dense concentration of Imp defenders. Lowering the density, as well as forcing players to cross paths more will increase the chances of individual players meeting each other while also not getting by mobs that require a group takedown. Increased chance of meeting + increased chance of not-insta-kill -> increased chance of killing -> increased chance of loot drops -> more players come back to the PvP instance for loot drops.

I really do hope the dev team implements some of what I said, or implements SOMETHING that does a good job encouraging OWPvP. I love OWPvP a lot more than I like doing Warzones and Arenas, and I would really like it to make a comeback.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am aware that PvP already has rewards on Iokath. However:

1. It comes through killing for the sake of killing. Objective based PvP such as base conquest and turret control and superweapon access and whatnot will make the killing be a struggle towards a proper, real objective, instead of just killing for the sake of it.

2. It only rewards Iokath currency. Players want UCs, Command XP and crates, cosmetic gear, credits, and so much more.

Edited by EzioMessi

Rocket boost guys. It's rocket boost. Just because flames come out the soles of your feet doesn't mean the language has changed. Put your little mouse over the icon and practice reading.

Fun Fact: if you wear "traditional" bounty hunter gear, the rocket boost fire comes out of your back-piece. EX: galvanized manhunter chestguard. 8)=

You're definitely right - our goal was absolutely to encourage Open World PvP on Iokath. One of our main motivations for including stuff like playable vehicles and Op bosses and Player loot was to make PvP on Iokath a unique and interesting experience compared to Outlaw's Den or Ilum. And, yeah, it just doesn't seem to have grabbed folks' interest.

Throwing in my two cents here, I think the mechanics and ideas you had for Iokath would have been better served in a separate Iokath Warzone where use of vehicles is encouraged.

I don't think that forcing Players to participate in PvP is the answer - SWTOR just isn't that kind of game - so we need to look elsewhere for solutions. Presumably better incentives would be a great way to start, but I'd love to hear your thoughts (and everyone else's) on the subject. In the coming weeks one of the discussion topics we will make is on this very topic!

As a pve player I thank you for this. I do not want to be forced to do pvp. But having a boyfriend that does incentives would be good for them. Something only pvp players can get (whether a special mount, armor, etc) but be sure NOT to offer it elsewhere. Yea I am a pve player but I don't believe that a reward for Pvp players should be given elsewhere as that defeats the purpose.

Yah, I owe you that! Let me track this down and get the information posted. But when, Keith? Good question - if I say today or tomorrow, and not make it, then I'll be in the dumper...uggh, ok, let's say by Wednesday next week, after the Patch! That's it - Wednesday, uhh, late!

so Thursday it is then then:rak_03:

My suggestion for enticing people to PvP on Iokath:

All those vehicles/droids you can possess and run around in on the field? Don't make them cost credits or power shards while in PvP instances. The temporary upgrades can still cost those things, but just taking out the actual droids/vehicles for a spin should be free in PvP instances. Let the PvPers have their mech vs. mouse droid combat all they want! They get killed, they get punted back to the base medcenter, then they go get another vehicle and run back in for more PvP droid combat. It would be a new twist on the same old PvP mechanics. For extra enticement, put in achievements and titles for things like player characters taking down other players in walkers in PvP instances while they themselves are not in a walker, stuff like that.

To balance this out and prevent exploiting the free vehicles, make it so that the daily quests that require you to kill X number of Y while in one of the droids or walkers can only be progressed or completed while you're in a PvE instance. Also make it that shifting instances from PvP to PvE (and vice versa) makes you ditch any droid or walker your character is currently controlling so you have to go buy it and any buffs you've used up again.

Edited by AscendingSky

Throwing in my two cents here, I think the mechanics and ideas you had for Iokath would have been better served in a separate Iokath Warzone where use of vehicles is encouraged.

Yes, I agree. A new warzone is an excellent idea.

My suggestion for enticing people to PvP on Iokath:

All those vehicles/droids you can possess and run around in on the field? Don't make them cost credits or power shards while in PvP instances. The temporary upgrades can still cost those things, but just taking out the actual droids/vehicles for a spin should be free in PvP instances. Let the PvPers have their mech vs. mouse droid combat all they want! They get killed, they get punted back to the base medcenter, then they go get another vehicle and run back in for more PvP droid combat. It would be a new twist on the same old PvP mechanics. For extra enticement, put in achievements and titles for things like player characters taking down other players in walkers in PvP instances while they themselves are not in a walker, stuff like that.

To balance this out and prevent exploiting the free vehicles, make it so that the daily quests that require you to kill X number of Y while in one of the droids or walkers can only be progressed or completed while you're in a PvE instance. Also make it that shifting instances from PvP to PvE (and vice versa) makes you ditch any droid or walker your character is currently controlling so you have to go buy it and any buffs you've used up again.

This also gets rid of the balance issues in-game!

OWPvP is too ranged-friendly you say? Healers are OP you say? Guard should be nerfed you say?

To quote my Outlander from KotET Iokath "Are you kidding me? I am a walking tank!"

Add PvP rewards. If they have structured missions with UC rewards and decent CXP people will do them. With no reward, wPvP is nothing more than a nuisance while I am trying to do dailies.

Add PvP rewards. If they have structured missions with UC rewards and decent CXP people will do them. With no reward, wPvP is nothing more than a nuisance while I am trying to do dailies.

To just add to this point because it can't be stressed enough, the rewards cannot just be Iokath specific currency. All we can do with that is buy mouse droids, walkers and bigger walkers. Give us cosmetic rewards and gear, and give us lots of them.

As the only OWPvP world, it kinda has earned the right to have a lot of rewards that relate to the whole game, not just the one planet. And much like vanilla Ilum it makes perfect sense for this to be the front in a renewed Empire vs Republic War, with a galaxy running scarce on resources and fighting over superweapons.

Edited by EzioMessi

Why not add chests with components to the lokath PvP area? How many components, chests, and the method of collecting them obviously can be tweaked accordingly. However if this was implemented i would definitely be there while i'm not in a wz, as i'm sure a lot of others would too.

Keith ma bro,

I've got a solution for Galactic Command that would have solved some of the agro. I'm just not feeling the 10 pairs of pants in my inventory man. Why not...just make a "gemini token", "iokath token" etc. I just think it's a big waste of time having ten pants, 3 helms, 60 purple implants....you know. I know we can go into Master Mode ops for these...but really. It becomes a useless grind on tier 4. :rak_02:

@Keith, is there any chance the dev team will address the utter lack of PvP on Iokath, which is constantly advertised as being the hub of PvP in emails, promotions, etc? There's almost never more than 2 people in the PvP instance because you've given players the option to be immune to PvP in there.

Is this going to get addressed, or just quietly ignored and removed much like vanilla Ilum?

I've never even been to Iokath because I haven't even finished KotFE. :o I'm just not that into the story I guess.

But for other stuff (e.g. heroics), I always use the PvP instance. It's a ghost town and there is less competition for mobs / etc.

I think it definitely is a matter of incentives, risk vs reward. Some people like the feeling of having to be on their guard. But there are games like eve-online for that. The reason it works in eve is because the more dangerous parts of space are more rewarding, and there are penalties for dying (if your ship blows ups, it's gone - you have to buy a new one). So you can't really make PvP instances excessively rewarding, because there is no real penalty for dying. In SWTOR, dying is just a minor nuisance.

Edited by teclado

Rewards are a given, but not enough by themselves. OW PvP needs to be fun, accessible, un-exploitable and somewhat lag free.

In my experience of playing OW PvP games (DAoC, Warhammer Online, EVE and Planetside), the best OW PvP experiences revolve around multiple objectives with checks in place that ensure long engagements rather than a quick stomp. They also have ways for players to very quickly transport themselves next to the action.

To start with, here's what I would implement:

1. An easy way for players to view the action going on in Iokath. Who's controlling what, how heavy is the action, what options they have available to win the game for their faction.

2. A set of control points that can only be taken if connected to an opposite faction controlled point.

3. Control points are defended by PvE encounters that ensure a couple players can't just waltz in and take over. Whether it be mobs, timers, or both. Ideally, encounters involve defender interaction which allows players to invest time and/or resources to fortify a point in different ways.

4. Open up Iokath for access without doing the story, perhaps by buying a pass somewhere on the fleet or unlocking it for a legacy once done at least once.

Edited by Eli_Porter

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am aware that PvP already has rewards on Iokath. However:

1. It comes through killing for the sake of killing. Objective based PvP such as base conquest and turret control and superweapon access and whatnot will make the killing be a struggle towards a proper, real objective, instead of just killing for the sake of it.

2. It only rewards Iokath currency. Players want UCs, Command XP and crates, cosmetic gear, credits, and so much more.

I have to agree with EzioMessi on this one. I don't PVP and can care less about doing anything on Iokath. The Iokath currency to be blunt is yet another useless currency like Dark/Light tokens that add NO Value to players beyond cosmetic changes.

You want some people getting onboard? When Ilum went live we had a MAJOR Valor bug that happened - maybe you need to make that bug work again?

If not then yes we want more to see things of WORTH dropping like UC's, Command XP and more than what is offered. Right now.. I'm not even bothering with that location.

@Bioware ...

You know ... this MMo could've been so much more. Yet all of these ideas, yet they contribute to none of the critical flaws thats so hard to ignore.

This MMO ... literally has Planets to build upon ... yet other MMOs solely have 1 to work with. And shockingly ... those MMOs feels bigger ( like Wow ).

No I'm not a Wow-Fan Boy. In fact, I never liked WoW after i 1st tried but i seen the map size.

but this in itself is irrelevant.

The point is - you have so much to work with ... so much so, its not even funny. yet " THIS " is what's planned ???

I'm gonna re-post my comment 1 last time. And hopefully you'd AT LEAST take it into consideration

( Anyone from @Bioware ( not a Bot ) please read below -)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been Playing this Game since 2012(ish) - 2013. And i got to admit ... wasn't sure if something like "this" was ever going to be done again. Glad to see it.

Admittedly, however ... While all of what was Addressed on the "RoadMap" sounds nice - this game is going to need more than "just that".

So much so, I'm not sure where to start. So I'll try to Paraphrase, yet remain lucid:

`Please Implement some of Legends Lore into SWTOR - there are SOOO many Species you could implement. And not just for NPCs either - as for Playable Characters or Future Enemies. AT LEAST consider it for In-Game Lore teaser(s) .

The fact that the Legends Lore goes pretty Deep .... the possibilities are near-endless - and would honestly make this 1st Idea to be "too" long. ( thought it might be necessary to specify some ideas ? )

In short ... " Let the Legends-Lore be your Guide ".

`Remove Exhaustion Zones - period; its Immersion Breaking. Some ... " Planets ", don't feel like Planets - they feel like a cage with little to almost nothing to explore. Or they feel like an island.

~ For Example, Tatooine ... After listening to the Audio Book called, " Tatooine Ghost " ( this was some time ago ).. i find it odd how the depiction of Tatooine from that Book alone is highly-lovely to imagine. Consider reading/listening to it if you haven't already.

It may be a desert, but I'm certain you can utilize that differently - such as utilizing the Environment:

( this in itself can be elaborated, it'll make this long too ... I'll shorten it )

implement de-hydration mechanics ( this Planet has 2 Suns ... makes sense ), allow us to travel & climb, as we are traveling ... we could be seeing Mirages or somethin, etc ..

basically ... what can be done to immerse that scenario; What is that Planet's Signature ?!? Heat & Desert ... And Smuggling, illegal Deals/Gambling, trading ( which all comes from From Legends Lore :/ )

Basically, Add Emphasis to that Planet's Signature

And don't make it feel like we are caged in either - its supposed to be a Planet ... right ?

... At least Consider Expanding the SandBoxes.

`Please Considering re-implementing Seeker Droid Missions & MacroBinocular Missions. I truly adore how I was not guided throughout those Missions - particularly the MacroBinocular mission; I actually had to use my brain and find what i was suppose to be Looking for ...as opposed to a "Blinking Object" . In other words ... those 2 Missions Alone put heavy emphasis on Exploration - and that was Unique and it stood out. In addition, the GSI Missions Put further emphasis on this too. Only other thing that helped ... was possibly " [Area] Missions" - i think had those back in Original Lvl 1 -50 Content. Those Missions inspired more exploration. And derived from the Pioneer-MMOs ( like EQ )

Please consider having more of all of these.

`Encourage more Group-Related Activities/Content. SWTOR has too much Single-Player Content . The only time you interact with others is when you join a Guild, FP and OPS and maybe Heroics.

`CXP ... at least make it to where Preferred & F2P can get at least Tier 1. Because you are practically enforcing a P2P Model at endgame - which is somewhat reasonable. In fact, I've had an idea as to why you implemented this. Firstly, i recalled hearing from others that something like this was implemented when Lvl Cap was at 50 ... but was removed. In any case, I think you guys purposely re-implemented this just to try to attract others RNG Lovers ... and then to try to make a " Hybrid" of RNG & "Traditional" Style in order to attract all players.

(i.e. a Marketing Strategy )

Now, although, I have i no proof of this ... but it doesn't seem to make much sense if (most) Older-Players didn't like it before. Basically, the Bolded Segment is the gist-of-things

`SWG has a few things done right - please consider adding some of those elements. Admittedly, i have not had a chance to play it, but I've seen enough to vaguely understand why it has some well-thought-out ideas & well-executed too- some even better than SWTOR. Not insulting in anyway

`Please don't recycle anything else - don't recycle Armor Skins OR Mounts Skins ( referring to DvL )- some of those Mounts look like GSI mounts. You want ideas for stuff like that ? I repeat: " Let the Legends-Lore be your Guide "

... you will not go wrong.

`Less Emphasis on gear ? I find it that PvP is just "comparing numbers". And no real skill

I'm honestly not sure what-else to say .. All-in-All ... some aspects of SWTOR was moving in the right direction when Seeker Droids & MacroBinocular was introduced - those missions encouraged players to ask around for help, i actually had to think how to advance ( almost like a Puzzle Mission ), I truly admired how the Quest in itself took a different approach as to what a mission is - rather than "slash-slash-kill" >> reward. Heck, i couldn't finish it alone - and I'm glad. Why ? because thats what an MMO is - to interact, meet some peeps, and make new friends and grow connections. Yeah some may just want to Solo and "take-it-easy" , but its GUARANTEED to be a much better experience when you're playing with other People.

(and yes, i did make a friend from that mission ^~^)

Sadly ... from what i can tell, you just want to recycle the "ThemePark" Scenario. When I first started playing this game on my 1st Character, Section X was bustling. Now ... its just empty - the only way to finish it is ask a GuildMate to help, practically making it feel like a chore ( yeah I'm referring to the Heroic > ~ < )

What i'm trying to say is ... that SAME emptiness is going to pervade Iokath Dailies Area too - just like Oricon, CZ-198, Black Hole, Yavin 4, Makeb, ilum and other areas ....

Please make them relevant again - and not just some "Chore" .

The irony is ... you have ALL the pieces that you need ... " you just need to realized that some 'pieces' fit together in more than just one spot ". This MMO might need a miracle just like FF14 did - but its not bad either. 1st Time Players experience its spectacular.

This MMO is the highest-funded MMO, right ?

" The Legends Lore will Guide You " ( seriously, the App has a lot of nifty Lore :3 )

SIDE NOTE: Open-World PvP ... like ...why would (practically) perma-death other PvP-Servers like that ? Oh well - changing it back might make it even worse ( maybe better ? ) - or at least doing something else with it. maybe PvX Missions ? PvX Environment ? Server Merge ? All of them ? idk much to consider

P.S. There's a LOT more i could've said, but it'll be too long ~.~

Edited by Vlanzche

SNIP....

I don't think that forcing Players to participate in PvP is the answer - SWTOR just isn't that kind of game - so we need to look elsewhere for solutions.

SNIP...

That is correct but not just for Iokath. It means you need to put the only way to upgrade gear somewhere else other than PVP too.

Edited by Quraswren

That is correct but not just for Iokath. It means you need to put the only way to upgrade gear somewhere else other than PVP too.

Like... PvE? You know. The place where it's already easier to upgrade gear than it is in PvP?

Like... PvE? You know. The place where it's already easier to upgrade gear than it is in PvP?

You mean PVP where you can do it win or loss and still still get rewarded to get exactly what you want? Something you cannot do in PVE.

Either way, Forced PVP for components isn't the answer just like what was said for Iokath.

In turn, all you did was state how PVP gearing is broken vs PVE. PVE has a broken side to it in that you cannot upgrade gear at all doing it other than to hope for a drop and at some point, you reach a wall. Not so for PVP - just need time. Two mutually exclusive gearing methods and both are broken in ways.

Lets fix them both so that there a bit more equal shall we. In getting gear and upgrading gear.

Edited by Quraswren

You mean PVP where you can do it win or loss and still still get rewarded to get exactly what you want? Something you cannot do in PVE.

Either way, Forced PVP for components isn't the answer just like what was said for Iokath.

In turn, all you did was state how PVP gearing is broken vs PVE. PVE has a broken side to it in that you cannot upgrade gear at all doing it other than to hope for a drop and at some point, you reach a wall. Not so for PVP - just need time. Two mutually exclusive gearing methods and both are broken in ways.

Lets fix them both so that there a bit more equal shall we. In getting gear and upgrading gear.

Honesty in my opinion, PvP should either have no gear whatsoever, or have a hearing system entirely outside of PvP (like the Expertise system we had).

My only concern with them adding UCs or the like to PvE, is that PvE currently already has a faster gearing system. I geared up more from 5 days of PvE than I did from 1.5 MONTHS of PvP. PvErs just view UCs as a nice topup to their already decent hearing system (I'm talking about Ops drops, not Galactic Command btw) and are further asking for UCs to be made available through PvE too. That isn't something PvPers want, given how much worse our grind can get.

If UCs are gonna be given to all game modes, PvPers need new carrots first. Update the damn PvP vendors, they haven't got new items since launch. Create a PvP only currency that is used for gear and cosmetics. Until we get a decent gearing system or a massive increase in cosmetic rewards, no PVPer would be okay with our only PvP currency being moved into Flashpoints and Ops.

Honesty in my opinion, PvP should either have no gear whatsoever, or have a hearing system entirely outside of PvP (like the Expertise system we had).

thats not a bad idea.

My only concern with them adding UCs or the like to PvE, is that PvE currently already has a faster gearing system. I geared up more from 5 days of PvE than I did from 1.5 MONTHS of PvP. PvErs just view UCs as a nice topup to their already decent hearing system (I'm talking about Ops drops, not Galactic Command btw) and are further asking for UCs to be made available through PvE too. That isn't something PvPers want, given how much worse our grind can get.

You are under the assumption that all PVE players are hitting ops? We know that is not true. We also know that in any given run to said ops, you are against 7 people that can take the gear you want from you through RNG. Now, in some guilds this can be aleviated to some extent through loot lists and the like but unlike PVP, other than time, you are guaranteed what you want, win or lose with no roll of the dice.

Open up UC's to PVP and PVE and the grind because a bit less for everyone as everyone is suddenly encouraged to hit all content or just the specific content they want.

The gearing needs to change to be a bit more even and not so warped as it is now for both sides.

If UCs are gonna be given to all game modes, PvPers need new carrots first.

Why? Because you pvp? I don't see that as a good reason.

Update the damn PvP vendors, they haven't got new items since launch. Create a PvP only currency that is used for gear and cosmetics. Until we get a decent gearing system or a massive increase in cosmetic rewards, no PVPer would be okay with our only PvP currency being moved into Flashpoints and Ops.

I think updating PVP and PVE with UCs is the only honest way to go about it but yes, PVP gearing needs to be fixed right along with PVE gearing and the ability to upgrade.

The speed to get gear shouldn't be exclusive to PVE and the ability to upgrade shouldn't be exclusive to PVP. As each one does exactly what BW just said they they don't like. Forcing PVE gamers into PVP. I'd imagine it works the other way around too. Forcing PVP gamers into PVE when they don't like it.

The whole system needs to be more balanced in time and upgrading of gear for both sides of this.

Edited by Quraswren