The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Weapon Sound Tuning

I would think that would be more difficult to do.

Right now, tunings just add something to the item. In order to replace the sounds, they would have to suppress the existing sound on the item and then replace it with a new sound.

Also, there is no way to preview a sound in-game. I can't imagine all the support messages "I bought this and it sounds like crap, I want my credits / cartel coins back".

• 2 weeks later...
There are many different and awesome sounds for lightsaber and blaster already.

A sound tuning could allow players to combine there prefered visuals with their prefered sounds.

That's actually a great idea. I've seen neat looking weapons that have an underwhelming sound. This would fix that!

Instead of another tuning item, include this into the item modification station.

Give them as new craftable items (like sound processor or I don't know).

Armstech -> blaster sound mods

Artifice -> lightsaber sound mods

Or just divide them up, we have enough weapon types that all crafting skills could get one.

Schematics could drop from end-bosses of Ops / buyable for Unassembled Components from vendors, so both PvE and PvP players would have access to them.

Schematics would need some rare materials (like Void Matter Catalysts) so they would not flood the GTN in all-of-a-sudden.

I think sound preview could also be done somehow with CTRL + Click on the schematic and playing the sound it gives...

Anything they do, just don't include them as ultra-rare drops in CM packs which you cannot unlock in collections.

• 1 month later...
Great suggestion. Either tuning or mod works for me -- definitely worth cartel coins to me. My only concern is the many bad weapon sounds in the game and what would be available and how you would preview the sound offered.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
there could be sound preview option in character/outfit preview to at least hear various sounds we already have now animations now in the previewer so nothing to say sounds couldn't work as well

Before I purchase any of the sound mods (tuning) I will need to hear them first !

• 1 month later...

*bump* / +1

The sounds just need to be existing sound files. For example, I have the Odessen Assault Cannon and the Furious Assault Cannon (yeah yeah, they're already legacy). Both weapons sound the same. It's a deep *thwump thwump thwump* instead of the usual *pew pew pew*

The Odessen Cannon is butt ugly (fire truck red). But it's the perfect sound. A tuning to change the sound of another weapon to this already existing sound seems like the perfect Rx.

On a related note, why do so many assault cannons sound whiny like the much smaller barreled sniper and blaster rifles? /sadface

*bump* / +1

The sounds just need to be existing sound files. For example, I have the Odessen Assault Cannon and the Furious Assault Cannon (yeah yeah, they're already legacy). Both weapons sound the same. It's a deep *thwump thwump thwump* instead of the usual *pew pew pew*

The Odessen Cannon is butt ugly (fire truck red). But it's the perfect sound. A tuning to change the sound of another weapon to this already existing sound seems like the perfect Rx.

On a related note, why do so many assault cannons sound whiny like the much smaller barreled sniper and blaster rifles? /sadface

Good question... The same might be asked about some blaster pistols. I've actually heard some old fashioned electric typewritters with more agressive sounds to them ...

OK that's before your time..

:D:D:D

But you get the idea !

;);)

• 3 weeks later...
This is an amazing suggestion. Either this or some kind of interface to choose between the different sound effects, e.g. the awesome standard snap-hiss sound (which should be the default for most lightsabers) or the Darth Vader hissing sound. I'd so spend money if this was introduced.

• 1 year later...
Can we have this please? I hate putting forth the effort to acquire a new blaster only for it to sound like *not star wars*. And some of those that sound good look crappy.

you mean, like the one that sounds like an old fashion typewriter....lol

We definately need to be able to preview sounds too.

Edited by DarkTergon

Lol there's quite a few that sound absolutely terrible. I fire them once and trash them they sound so bad.

• 2 weeks later...

WHEN the team releases the new class ( you know ... the Republic SIS special agent / Empire counter part ) ... they should be using a weapon that corresponds to the request that I made to go with that new character which pretty much sounds like a phalanx ...

This would be nice as blaster pistols like the E-1 imperial Blaster Pistol and the Rascal sound like nail guns. NAIL GUNS!? have the sound engineers ever seen a Star Wars film? This kind of sound engineering in a traditional FPS would not even be tolerated.

I often wonder this too....