Choosing a Faction on Iokath

EricMusco

The PvP groups each have their own chat channel that exists for the group and for the duration of the group's existence; content of that channel is only available to that group. So, players of Imperial and Republic characters can group up on Iokath based on their choices on Iokath and talk to each other without anybody outside the group learning anything about it.

It works like this in OPG PvP today which supports cross-faction groups.

As someone who never PvPs (OW or WZ), I'm fuzzy on a lot of the current mechanics. I think I understand your reply, but it presumes that a group is formed first. How does a Imp-loving Imp and a Imp-loving Pub communicate initially to find each other and form a group? I suppose you can whisper (not sure because I've never tried to do a cross-faction whisper). Even if you can, wouldn't there really be a need for some sort of story-faction-based channel so people can shout "The Pub base is being attacked!", and maybe even when chars are on the PvE instance doing dailies so that they can switch and participate?

Won't really matter any to me, as I won't do any of this, mind you, but just wondering.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you guys be addressing, on the stream today, the abhorrent 242 drop rate that exists now. I and a few of my friends have kept track of our command levels past 300. Personally I am at 558 here and so far I have only gotten an earpiece and a couple of relics that I don't use in 242. This is beyond ridiculous. My friends are all in the same boat. It seems I have a better chance of getting killed by an actual lighsaber than getting anything out of a command crate that is 242.

Eric will there be 2 seperate reputations on Iokath? Or will it be like how with kuat is that the republic and imp reps have different labels but are the same in the sense all the rep either imp or pub pile into 1 rep pool.

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is all of Iokath going to be pvp, cause someone said open world pvp, or will there just be an area for that?

Cause I really don't want to be ganked while doing my dailies, assuming that there will be dailies.

For you, Luna.

Iokath will behave like all other open world areas in the game. If you are in a PvE instance, you will not experience any PvP unless you flag yourself or attempt to go into an enemy base (which could get you flagged).

-eric

Neither of them are my ally. Both of them should be my servants - if I let them live at all. :mad:

Bingo ^

Given I swooped in and saved them both. They should both be answering to me. They were left devastated and who rescued them both? Yours truly.

However, in some warped turn of events. I have to ally with one of them making sure my position as leader, ruler and destroyer of the valkorion family is weaken, making sure that no matter which side I choose, you got to slight one.

Such a strong diplomat up till now. It makes no sense to side with either of them and I highly doubt bw wrote something to convince me it would be a good thing to do so.

Bingo ^

Given I swooped in and saved them both. They should both be answering to me. They were left devastated and who rescued them both? Yours truly.

However, in some warped turn of events. I have to ally with one of them making sure my position as leader, ruler and destroyer of the valkorion family is weaken, making sure that no matter which side I choose, you got to slight one.

Such a strong diplomat up till now. It makes no sense to side with either of them and I highly doubt bw wrote something to convince me it would be a good thing to do so.

It makes no sense to me that your Outlander could keep the peace or rule the ENTIRE galaxy for very long. The Republic and Empire have trillions upon trillions of people and resources contained within each. You have your fleet and the wealth of Zakuul, sure, but those are easily lost if you don't eventually align yourself with one of the other super powers. There will come a tipping point of contention, whether it's resources (likely) or philosophy that will have them at one another's throats and you'll HAVE to pick a side or risk being collateral damage. Just like every large nation had to choose their involvement in WWII, you can't just ignore or control a Republic vs Empire argument.

It makes no sense to me that your Outlander could keep the peace or rule the ENTIRE galaxy for very long. The Republic and Empire have trillions upon trillions of people and resources contained within each. You have your fleet and the wealth of Zakuul, sure, but those are easily lost if you don't eventually align yourself with one of the other super powers. There will come a tipping point of contention, whether it's resources (likely) or philosophy that will have them at one another's throats and you'll HAVE to pick a side or risk being collateral damage. Just like every large nation had to choose their involvement in WWII, you can't just ignore or control a Republic vs Empire argument.

Especially after you JUST showed the galaxy that the Eternal Fleet isn't invincible, and the world in which the fleet was produced is now public knowledge.

****Spoiler Alert**** the button isn't working for some reason.......

But I chose the option of not allying with Acina and mentioned not wanting to cavort with either faction. Now I have to flip flop? They're going to turn my agent into a politician, dammit!

Edited by Venn_Dras

It makes no sense to me that your Outlander could keep the peace or rule the ENTIRE galaxy for very long. The Republic and Empire have trillions upon trillions of people and resources contained within each. You have your fleet and the wealth of Zakuul, sure...

You do remember zakuul wrecking the Republic and Empire right? Forcing them to submit with the deaths of who knows how many. Then forced to pay zakuul through money and supplies and weapons for years. Neither had the resources after that invasion you seem to think they did.

but those are easily lost if you don't eventually align yourself with one of the other super powers.

I don't see that at all. If nothing else. They would be doing all they can to side with you. Not you looking to them.

The only way that would happen is if bw wrote some poor story about how suddenly you lost it all at this point because suddenly the fleet died and suddenly zakuul ran out of all the resources they had backing you now that you were the leader combined with both empire and republic backing away from you because lets not forget, they were asking to align with you. Not the other way around.

Seems a poorly written outcome to 25 chapters of you becoming the most powerful ruler out there building the most powerful alliance around combining members of zakuul, empire and sith. Aligning with one is about the worse diplomatic decision one could make.

There will come a tipping point of contention, whether it's resources (likely) or philosophy that will have them at one another's throats and you'll HAVE to pick a side or risk being collateral damage. Just like every large nation had to choose their involvement in WWII, you can't just ignore or control a Republic vs Empire argument.

There is no reason to side with one or the other when both are in general so much weaker at this time. If anything else, as a decent leader that your character is supposed to be. You'd have both sides working with you to accomplish the iokath goal. Why slight either one at this point when you just got both of them working together under you?

Again, only poor writing could get you into that corner.

I have seen the producer's live stream, and, basically, they wanted to get back to empire vs republic. The fact that we are now a leader of over own empire (which the empire and republic, inadvertently, falls under) it still makes no sense to choose one over the other - they are apart of the eternal alliance.

I can understand having either one of them "running point" in the annexation of Iokath.

I mean Palpatine took over the galaxy and there was no CoIS or Republic, there was the Galactic Empire and he ruled it. Whomever didn't fall in line got crushed. Plain and simple.

I think the mistake they made was to consolidate the fractions, instead of making it a temporary situation (enemy of my enemy). Now, they are stuck because they, literally, made you the leader of the galaxy. How do you top that? Yuzong vong?

To me the ending of KOTET heavily implies that the Imperial Empire and the Republic are free from Zakuul rule, which is fine I've no problem with that, but after making my character the leader of a third grey faction why am I being forced to back one of these losers?

I don't want to help either side win their never ending war. Whatever this McGuffin is I hope that I get to destroy it so nobody gets the advantage.

If you choose opposite Factions while grouped, it will allow you to make the choice and then remove you from the group.

-eric

I am curious about this part. How does grouping for the raid work (without going through group finder) for guild members that may have chosen different factions for Iokath? Will they have to swap factions? Is there a neutral area in front of the raid entrance so you can group by class faction and not Iokath faction?

Edited by Sorava

. The fact that we are now a leader of over own empire (which the empire and republic, inadvertently, falls under)

Wherever did you get that idea from? Go re-read letters from Acina and Jace. Empire and Republic recognize Alliance as a sovereign state with its own army and territories, but they do not consider themselves part of it in any way, shape or form.

Of course you can in theory send Fleet and Gravestone to bomb them both into submission, but until something happens, neither Empire or Republic are your servants.

Edited by Gelious

Because I'm not sure what the story's about (the details) or why I'm having to choose Imp or Pub when I've got an Alliance, this is what I'm doing. I'm only taking two people through this. I'm taking my Sith Warrior to retrieve Quinn. So I'll choose Imp side for her. After getting Quinn, the only companion I'd be missing is Jaesa. My Jaesa is Light Sided so unless she thought I was out there killing and eating babies, I should be okay to get her back when the time comes for her to pop up somewhere.

And the second character I'm taking through will be my Trooper to retrieve Dorne back. I currently have everyone back, aside from Vik (which looks like I may have to get him from the terminal since he might not come back since he was killable earlier) and Dorne. Once I get Dorne back on my Trooper, I won't have to worry about anymore companions that were originally the trooper's.

Now, as for my 6 other classes, I'm not taking them through Iokath yet. Because some companions I know will be gung-ho Republic, some will be all for Imperial, but some may be somewhere in the middle.

I can't take my Agent cause I'm not sure if Vector and Temple will 100% for sure be happy with Empire (though they probably will)

Can't take any Jedis, or my Inquisitor, or my BH, or Smuggler. Because I don't know which side their companions will be on. I'm not losing my characters' husbands because I chose the wrong side in the story. I can wait.

****Spoiler Alert**** the button isn't working for some reason.......

But I chose the option of not allying with Acina and mentioned not wanting to cavort with either faction. Now I have to flip flop? They're going to turn my agent into a politician, dammit!

Which politician though? Past ones or our current one? :p

You're choosing an ally, not a master.

For me, it's not so much which is better (because I'd have everyone choose Imps because of family tree ties and such) but more like okay for future content/story, which side is Doc, Iresso, Corso, Andronikos, Vector, Nadia, etc going to be on? So that will be MY deciding factor since Bioware is making us pick a side in the main story of 5.2. Which is fine overall. But I just spent chapters upon chapters (in the game itself years and months, etc) forming my alliance, ruling it with a light sided hand, and now I have to dump all that to pick a side.

So, who am I pissing off now in my alliance? Will Theron, Lana or Koth get annoyed I chose Imp over Pub or vice versa? I'm trying to keep the peace not only in the galaxy as a light sided ruler, but the people currently IN my alliance who I see as allies and friends.

My head hurts now.

For me, it's not so much which is better (because I'd have everyone choose Imps because of family tree ties and such) but more like okay for future content/story, which side is Doc, Iresso, Corso, Andronikos, Vector, Nadia, etc going to be on? So that will be MY deciding factor since Bioware is making us pick a side in the main story of 5.2. Which is fine overall. But I just spent chapters upon chapters (in the game itself years and months, etc) forming my alliance, ruling it with a light sided hand, and now I have to dump all that to pick a side.

So, who am I pissing off now in my alliance? Will Theron, Lana or Koth get annoyed I chose Imp over Pub or vice versa? I'm trying to keep the peace not only in the galaxy as a light sided ruler, but the people currently IN my alliance who I see as allies and friends.

My head hurts now.

It's a Bioware game, consequences and all that :D

Aand if I had to guess: Iresso and Corso won't leave their faction. Andronikos and Vector wouldn't care. And Nadia would only go if it's the Consular recruiting her.

I'm only taking two people through this. I'm taking my Sith Warrior to retrieve Quinn. So I'll choose Imp side for her.

And the second character I'm taking through will be my Trooper to retrieve Dorne back.

This is exactly what I am planning to do. My SW is a hardcore Imperial patriot, he will never help Republic against Empire. The same, but in reverse goes for my Commando. None of my other chars are did KOTFE in the first place.:D

Edited by Gelious

This is exactly what I am planning to do. My SW is a hardcore Imperial patriot, he will never help Republic against Empire. The same, but in reverse goes for my Commando. None of my other chars are did KOTFE in the first place.:D

I took all 8 classes through KOTFE/KOTET so they're currently all waiting for the rest of their original companions.