Choosing a Faction on Iokath

EricMusco

Saresh wasn't the leader at the time (you even get a letter from the Chancellor basically saying they don't care what happens to her if you have her imprisoned). The Republic largely sat out the war because its leaders didn't think they were ready to fight Zakuul even with the Alliance (you get a mail on that too - an intercepted message to Malcom where the analyst recommends sitting out the war to play it safe).

And it's not like Acina is particularly trustworthy - she waited until it was in her/the Empire's best interests to suck up to you. And giving Iokath's technology/weaponry to her is the kind of thing that will blow up in your face once the Empire no longer needs the Alliance/you.

Exactly.

I can't see how bw didn't put in the option for you to side with your own alliance you took all that time to build.

Makes no sense given the story and place your character was the leader of.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to comment that there is one thing I really don't like about this faction choice. The choice that makes a difference for future reference is of course related to the companion matter.

BTW if you're reading this and really don't know which companions are involved and also don't want to know, stop reading here.

As a mostly imperial player who doesn't like the imperial companion choice I feel I am in a damned if do and damned if don't situation. Since I will choose Empire for my Imperial characters from a character story and background point of view I don't really feel this is much of a choice. So my Empire characters will choose Empire. However, I do not want the companion that comes with that choice. So I'd rather not do the story then get stuck with a companion I want dead. I'm really happy for all those who have a crush on him, but I am clearly not among them.

Of course on my Republic characters there is a slightly different situation. I would normally pick Republic but on a couple of them that are rather DS, I could be tempted to side with the Empire...except, I don't want this companion so I won't.

So Eric, I know we don't have full details yet but based on what I know at this stage, do you understand that I don't feel that this "choice" is really a choice simply because it's linked to a companion choice which is a matter of taste rather than story?

I will accept that if you guys actually went the extra mile and say would allow a character to pull Elara back to the Empire for example that I would be impressed. But somehow I'm not holding my breath on that.

But really, do you get that how much people like or dislike either of these two companions will trump the actual story choice? I really don't think that's to the benefit of the story myself.

So I will not play an Empire character through this story until I know that I can choose Empire and reject the accompanying companion Quinn at the same time.

I just want to comment that there is one thing I really don't like about this faction choice. The choice that makes a difference for future reference is of course related to the companion matter.

BTW if you're reading this and really don't know which companions are involved and also don't want to know, stop reading here.

As a mostly imperial player who doesn't like the imperial companion choice I feel I am in a damned if do and damned if don't situation. Since I will choose Empire for my Imperial characters from a character story and background point of view I don't really feel this is much of a choice. So my Empire characters will choose Empire. However, I do not want the companion that comes with that choice. So I'd rather not do the story then get stuck with a companion I want dead. I'm really happy for all those who have a crush on him, but I am clearly not among them.

Of course on my Republic characters there is a slightly different situation. I would normally pick Republic but on a couple of them that are rather DS, I could be tempted to side with the Empire...except, I don't want this companion so I won't.

So Eric, I know we don't have full details yet but based on what I know at this stage, do you understand that I don't feel that this "choice" is really a choice simply because it's linked to a companion choice which is a matter of taste rather than story?

I will accept that if you guys actually went the extra mile and say would allow a character to pull Elara back to the Empire for example that I would be impressed. But somehow I'm not holding my breath on that.

But really, do you get that how much people like or dislike either of these two companions will trump the actual story choice? I really don't think that's to the benefit of the story myself.

So I will not play an Empire character through this story until I know that I can choose Empire and reject the accompanying companion Quinn at the same time.

Just talk to him long enough to get through the thing and never talk to him again, just like all the rest of have had to do with companions we don't want or like. :/

Maybe someday they'll give us a way to get rid of the ones we don't want. (Other than murderizing them)

I just had a thought, for those who will be particpating in OWPvP (which will most definitely NOT include me, as I loath PvP of any type): how will chat work? If the game still restricts most chat to your class faction, how are players supposed to communicate for PvP, and not hear side chatter for your opposing story faction?

EDIT: Ah, I see this was already answered--Gen chat is by class faction. So "traitors" would be able to see any planning being done by "loyalists" (or vice versa). I guess I'd have to see how that will work :)

I'll have to see how it's presented in the story, but I have characters that would not really want to support either faction, in-character. So, being forced to do so will seem rather disconcerting, unless it was handled very carefully.

Edited by Zhiroc

I just had a thought, for those who will be particpating in OWPvP (which will most definitely NOT include me, as I loath PvP of any type): how will chat work? If the game still restricts most chat to your class faction, how are players supposed to communicate for PvP, and not hear side chatter for your opposing story faction?

EDIT: Ah, I see this was already answered--Gen chat is by class faction. So "traitors" would be able to see any planning being done by "loyalists" (or vice versa). I guess I'd have to see how that will work :)

I'll have to see how it's presented in the story, but I have characters that would not really want to support either faction, in-character. So, being forced to do so will seem rather disconcerting, unless it was handled very carefully.

The PvP groups each have their own chat channel that exists for the group and for the duration of the group's existence; content of that channel is only available to that group. So, players of Imperial and Republic characters can group up on Iokath based on their choices on Iokath and talk to each other without anybody outside the group learning anything about it.

It works like this in OPG PvP today which supports cross-faction groups.

Edited by mike_carton

I think people are getting things confused on this 'Choose a side' thing. You're not leaving the alliance or disbanding it, you're not leaving your throne or bowing before one of the factions. You are going to Iokath to take what you called dibs on, and choose which side you want to back you up. It's two faction agreeing to work together (Kind of what the alliance was before you officially took reigns as a new galactic power) to make it easier for each other, while both planning ways to stab each other in the back when the need arises.

It's basically the situation between the Republic and some of the Hutts after Makeb. The Republic/Empire (The Hutts) are in a weakened state, but are more useful to the Eternal Alliance (The Republic) as allies to lessen the enemies on the field and increase their own resources. You're still the Commander of the Eternal Throne, you're simply a King of a powerful country giving another country the chance to fight with you as an ally instead of being crushed under your feet. It's pretty much one of the major points of leadership often explored in both history and fiction.

You're a source of power and influence on a galactic scale now, I'm assuming you control more than simply one planet now. You need a steady flow of resources and less daggers in the shadows. Because, as you ironically proved with your ascent to power, the Eternal Fleet isn't invincible.

Interesting... A few months ago the forum was full of posts that wanted to return to Pub vs. Imp stories. Some posters said they'd be unhappy being forced to re-join their old faction, because that's not what their characters would do.

Behold! You can choose a side. I thought "wow! that'll make some people happy".

Behold! The forum is now full of bi-tching that the story returns to Pub vs. Imp story, and you even can choose the side.

There's not satisfying you, people, is there? :rolleyes:

For my own toons: they just want to go home. They never wanted any stupid Zakuul or to form a new Empire.

Then you never read my posts. I was one that really like being part of neither group especially on my sorceress or agent. Maybe a lot of people did, but I never did.

If you choose opposite Factions while grouped, it will allow you to make the choice and then remove you from the group.

Guildship summons will be based on your Class Faction, as per normal.

General chat channels are dictated by your normal Class Faction, you can however group with and chat with players based on your chosen Faction.

The future impact is story impact based on your story choices, not gameplay.

-eric

So we need to be sure what side we want to support group wise so we are not removed from playing with our friends in case we want to support a different side.

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is all of Iokath going to be pvp, cause someone said open world pvp, or will there just be an area for that?

Cause I really don't want to be ganked while doing my dailies, assuming that there will be dailies.

Maybe I missed this somewhere, but is all of Iokath going to be pvp, cause someone said open world pvp, or will there just be an area for that?

Cause I really don't want to be ganked while doing my dailies, assuming that there will be dailies.

I'm assuming that most of Iokath has open PvP, but you don't have to participate and the the whole 'PvP/PvE' instance allows you to go unharmed through those areas.

Hey folks,

As we mentioned in our PvP post last week, and on our original 5.2 livestream, when you arrive on Iokath you will be able to choose which Faction you want to side with in the War for Iokath. We know that there will be many questions coming off of this around what this actually impacts so we want to clear up exactly how this works, and exactly what it affects. First, to avoid any confusion: The faction you choose has no effect at all outside of Iokath. It only impacts story choices in the Iokath storyline (and future stories) and some gameplay impacts on Iokath.

Let’s start by talking about how the Faction choice works mechanically. You will be able to choose which Faction you want to side with initially during your character’s storyline on Iokath. Once you have completed the storyline and have access to the daily area, there is a terminal you can activate to switch sides once per day. Using this terminal does not override your story choice, but it does allow you to join your friends and play the opposite side’s daily missions if you so choose. Now that you know how you move between Factions, let’s talk about what you can do on each side:

• The Faction choice you make during the storyline does have story consequences, so choose carefully! This is the choice that will be remembered in future storylines.
  • After the story, your current Faction will determine what base and Daily Missions you can access.
  • Completing a Daily Mission will award you with Reputation for your chosen Factions rep track on Iokath.
  • Killing enemies can drop Reputation consumables for your chosen Faction.
  • In open world PvP, players’ allies and enemies are determined by their currently selected Faction.
  • If you do anything off of Iokath such as Warzones, Operations, etc. your Class’s Faction is what will determine things as normal.

Let us know if you have any questions about Faction switching on Iokath or its impact.

-eric

I play mostly sith. I love playing sith and whatever is connected with it like... lets say... the EMPIRE! I know that when I visit iokath I already built an alliance consisting of empire and republic troops but Im their leader. Im something neutral but a history with either empire or republic. Obviously as a sith I was with the empire. So going to iokath and choosing my former alliegiance makes sense and choosing the faction I was opposed to since lvl1 (unless someone was so crazy and made a pure light side agent) makes no sense at all. Im not revan who underwent several indoctrinations by the sith emperor and jedi who switched between factions (and then went rogue).

Switching factions just like that including chat and group mechanics is just plain dumb and goes against everything an MMO is supposed to be. Not to mention that this will be a pure mess on PVP realms. With a system like that in place, who needs factions at all???

Hey folks,

As we mentioned in our PvP post last week, and on our original 5.2 livestream, when you arrive on Iokath you will be able to choose which Faction you want to side with in the War for Iokath. We know that there will be many questions coming off of this around what this actually impacts so we want to clear up exactly how this works, and exactly what it affects. First, to avoid any confusion: The faction you choose has no effect at all outside of Iokath. It only impacts story choices in the Iokath storyline (and future stories) and some gameplay impacts on Iokath.

-eric

Eric, lets say I side with the Empire because my SW wants her hubby back. ;) Will that story choice bar me from say getting the chance to get Kira Carson as a companion in a later story arc? This is the biggest thing for me as there are some of the Republic companions I'd like to get when they come back.

This is the single most annoying thing you've done to this game, BioWare, and that's quite an accomplishment. You let us assemble this faction-be-damned, let's get something done Alliance and we now just toss it all away for the rest of the "story."

You completely negate everything we went through in the grand lectures from Darth Dad and Grandmaster Mom in Chapter 12 of KotFE.

Big deal we can switch once a day for regurgitating dailies in lieu of content. It's not the same as actually following through on what we worked on in KotFE. It makes all the bad things about KotFE even worse and just dumps a load on what was good. :rolleyes:

I'm confused by all the "what about my own Alliance?" posts - I don't get the impression that "choosing a side" will be your character going off on his / her own to support the Empire or Republic and leaving the Alliance behind, I get the strong sense the choice is about who you, as leader of the Alliance, are choosing to have your Alliance support.

I can kind of see someone being miffed at not having a "I want to tell both sides to take a hike and have my Alliance fight them both off" option, but if there's a legitimate story reason why that's not a viable option, then I don't mind it any more than I mind the fact that my Jedi Knight doesn't have an "Attack Satele Shan" option the first time he walks into the Jedi Council Chambers.

Where is the idea coming from that the two faction choices are Imp or Pub? I haven't seen anything saying that and the statement that you can earn reputation with the faction would seem to indicate otherwise. It would seem to function more like Faction X and Faction Y even if for some inexplicable reason they chose to call the Imp and Pub for this story also.

exactly.

I would be MUCH more excited about house ulgo vs Czerkza, or whatever.

I mean, they could be existing reputation havers... the hunters guild VS the gree collective, or whatever.

there could be a 'goal' chosen at random every week. each factions goal would be in the other factions territory. I could write an essay on it. lemme know.

Hey folks,

Let us know if you have any questions about Faction switching on Iokath or its impact.

-eric

Will there be a sound played every time you switch faction?

example:http://orig04.deviantart.net/3707/f/2016/199/4/1/star_wars_traitor_gif_by_mrarcadium-daafqoh.gif

Correct me, if I am wrong, but, i could have sworn the Alliance commander had declared Iokath off limits, and had left scouting parties nearby to inform the alliance when Iokath could be visited again. So, why in God's name would the republic and the empire go to Iokath to fight over that world when the Eternal Empire had already laid claim to it? Furthermore, why would they risk a war with the Eternal Empire when they do not have the resources to win such a war? Moreover, the empire and republic aren't really independent powers, per se, the Eternal empire left them alone, while exacting hefty tributes from them, but, they are, technically, still under the auspices of the eternal empire.

Right now choosing a side doesn't make any sense. We are leaders of the most powerful Empire in the galaxies ( far as I know, Zakuul is in a different galaxy than the republic and empire), so neither the pubs nor imps has the ability to outgun us, so, why are we joining them? I just hope the storyline makes sense. I'd rather the Scions went crazy (like the dread masters) under the influence of Tyth and the pubs and imps are trying to win favors with the alliance so they go to Iokath to "help" and that is how you choose who you want to "help" you.

Great question! Currently the way it works is that once you have completed a Mission, you are no longer able to switch that day. This means you can only complete Missions for one Faction in any given day, so if you want to switch you should do so before working on dailies.

-eric

Does that mean i can let the mission be pending then switch to other faction and do that Daily and then complete both missions? Will that be allowed or have you make sure that you cant let missions be pending?

Does that mean i can let the mission be pending then switch to other faction and do that Daily and then complete both missions? Will that be allowed or have you make sure that you cant let missions be pending?

Even if it happens, even if someone finds any exploit, according to the last statement of the devs there will be no actions taken. After all, they suspended the exploit rules with the CXP exploit. Saying the rules are on again would be hypocritical, right?

You'll probably just end up bugging your quest. But, to answer your question, you can't (or shouldn't be able to) do that. Once, you've accepted a quest from either fraction, you will have committed to joining that fraction (at least for the day), and your first choice will be the permanent choice that will be carried forward.

Bioware, an apparent fear is that 2 weeks into 5.2 everyone will be PVP'ing Imp (or not at all) so they don't get stomped. Is it possible in the game engine to scale the reputation drop based on the current population ratio?

E.g. there are 10x more Imps then those sided with republic get 10x the reputation drop? I don't really know how this would work in practice, but it would require some indicator as new people come in and have the option to choose.

Bioware, an apparent fear is that 2 weeks into 5.2 everyone will be PVP'ing Imp (or not at all) so they don't get stomped. Is it possible in the game engine to scale the reputation drop based on the current population ratio?

E.g. there are 10x more Imps then those sided with republic get 10x the reputation drop? I don't really know how this would work in practice, but it would require some indicator as new people come in and have the option to choose.

This is a fantastic point and a GREAT suggestion!!!