What are your gripes with the game at the moment?

LordArtemis

1. GSF development abandoned

2. GSF development abondoned

3. Strongholds development pretty much abondoned (just adding new decos, but no new SHs)

4. Unwieldy long list of companions without a favorite function or even better a crew system where we could put a limited number of them on our ships (like it used to be before KotFE, just with choice) and only use these (crafting is limited to 8 anyway).

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR has the same problem a movie studio does with a series of movies. It takes a while to make the product, but having income available while you're working on the next installment is really good.

The right way to deal with that is to make the content so great that people want to consume it multiple times. In theaters, on DVDs or streaming, or in the case of SWTOR with multiple alts.

The wrong way is to dilute the ending so much that it lasts until the next batch is ready to release.

To my mind 5.0's strategy for player retention is about like a move studio that's cranking out about one movie a year in a series deciding that a brilliant strategy for retaining viewers is to make rolling the credits at the end of the movie take 11 1/2 months.

Every activity can now gear you for the endgame. Fine, that's nice, but if there's no reason to gear because there IS no endgame, then it's not a really useful function.

I used to stick with STWOR for OPS, PvP, friends in the game, story replay value, and GSF.

That list is now down to GSF. The content I've played enough so that the replay value is minimal, most of the people I know in game leveled to 70 and then realized that there's no endgame beyond what was released with 3.0 and bailed, the current story has much less replay value than the old 8 fold version did. The PvP is alright, but MMORPG PvP has always been more of a sideshow than a main attraction for me. At some point I'll get fatigued with GSF, and that may be the end of the line for SWTOR for me.

There needs to be a better answer than, "the same low replay value stuff you've done for the last two expansions, but in sloooooooooowwwwwwwww motion," when people finish the story content and ask, "what now?"

Well, to be fair, I guess being able to squeeze around 2 years worth of endgame out of 3.0 is reasonably good replay value, but the stuff doesn't have the legs to make it to 4 years.

The, "fun to do once or a few times," stuff in SWTOR is generally pretty high quality stuff, but the, "fun to do many, many, many times," stuff has been done many, many, many times by long term players. It could use freshening up.

Use the TETRIS test. TETRIS has gameplay that is designed to be basically unchanging. If your game based on changing content after x hours of play reaches a state where going forward playing TETRIS indefinitely is more fun than playing your finite content game, then x is the point at which the play value of your game expires. Right now, for me, SWTOR is about 97% of the way to failing the TETRIS test, and I haven't played nearly as much time in 5.0 as I did in 2.0 through 4.0.

You folks at BW are getting A+s in the single playthrough content department. You need to work on the long term replay category though, where over the past 2 years you've dropped from B or B- to about D-. Taking old content and turning it into grindy old content took you from D+ to D-.

Not quite so easy if you have never really crafted I have like a handful of rank 9 mats (in total) and none at all at rank 10.

Also do these schematics come from vendors or are they the schematics that come from the Random Goddess of command crates?

The schematics come from vendors and then reverse engineering. The schematics from Galactic Command are for better gear that requires exotic mats.

I know it may not sound easy, especially if you've never crafted before -but it is actually quite easy. And kinda fun (for me at least). Just gather until you get to highest level mats (or buy off the GTN) level your crafting and manufacture them. I'm sure google or these forums are full of info on this

Alternatively -you can always buy higher end mods off the GTN. Just gotta make credits first.

While I have a couple of gripes with the game, gearing isn't one of them. You can make either credits (selling mats, crafted items or running heroics or whatever content you like) or make gear for yourself that is quite high-end.

Level 70 solo content should be no trouble in this kind of gear

I guess Number one would be that the Development team ignore the community unless they see a thread that say 'I love everything' often posted by someone that has been playing less than a month and wont resub once they completed the class stories of their choice.

Biggest In Game Grip. Lateral progression through the Galactic Command System was vital to the game. If you can't keep a steady stream of new content you have to give people a reason to grind old content. So this was the right thing. However it should have been tied to character progression with every level providing points in a advanced progression system to make every level viable, worthwhile and a decent pay off for the effort put in. i.e. the effort vs reward factor.

Gear can be attached to the system but a random chance to get some decent gear should not be the only reward for the work put in. In the later stages it may take a week to get one box (dependent on pops and hours you can invest). To then get crap from the box will mean that people that don't have all day to spend playing will decide the time they do have is better spent elsewhere. Not counting that as soon as there is a level increase all that gear will become junk so a complete waste of time grinding out 200 or 300 levels,

So galactic command must be tied to a character progression where every level is worthwhile even when new gear comes out and 248 is basic crafted gear.

-- PvP is a terrble joke of a freeze tag mini game (STUN STUN SNARE STUN KNOCKBACK STUN)

resist, resist, cleanse, cc breaker, movement impaired immunity, resist

Pretty sure we're saying the same thing LOL

You were saying that PVP is a terrible joke of a freeze tag mini game; full of stuns, snares and knockbacks.

I was saying that for every stunning and controlling ability there is an equal and opposite cc break and immunity. I love PVP in this game, it's probably one of the main reasons I play these days, and it's because of the fact that it's got these mechanics like these and force players to be tactical; something you initially put down as a negative.

PVP has never been more mobile.

Edited by Lionflash

1. Lack of an open world. This game feels like one large maze and doesn't allow for a truly planet wide exploration.

2. Cookie cutter professions (I really hate this!). Allow Jedi (for example) to chose what type of Lightsaber they want to wield (I.E. A Guardian may want to use a double bladed saber). Also Let me chose what powers I want my Jedi to use (I.E. don't classify powers by sage vs sentinel vs guardian, etc).

3. Lack of space content! I'd like a real space aspect of the game and not the mini fighter game that is complete junk. Have real maps with real ship progression and eventually multi player ships, where players could actually design and customize their interiors with furniture. (Star Wars Galaxy reference)

YI was saying that for every stunning and controlling ability there is an equal and opposite cc break and immunity.
How do you figure? As a Commando, I have a hard CC, my 60 second stun and a mine I can drop to stop you. How many CC breakers do you have? I only have ONE. :confused:

How do you figure? As a Commando, I have a hard CC, my 60 second stun and a mine I can drop to stop you. How many CC breakers do you have? I only have ONE. :confused:

Glad someone brought that up :D

One of the reasons I don't personally believe that Mercs/Commandos are OP this patch is the fact that their DCDs simply allow them to survive being bum-rushed.

You're right, Mercs biggest weakness is that they can't do much about being controlled, but they can eat and self heal a ton of damage, which is what balances them.

Vanguards have 2 CC breakers

Snipers have CC immunity when they bunker

Guardians have CC immunity windows

etc...

1. Lack of new content for raiders/pvpers/etc.

2. The new story (while good) seemed very on-rails and only fit for force using classes. I'd like to see a return to separate stories or at least split it by force user/non or Pub/Imp.

3. The playerbase (In the forums. The people who are tolerable are actually playing the game instead of whining here) is toxic and hateful. I get that things are bad and all but there's no excuse for some of the behaviour I've seen.

4. Like almost everyone in the forums i'm not happy with the RNG grind. However it's not because of me since I've had great luck and I appreciate the opportunity for me to gear more easily than I ever had. I'm not happy because not everyone has had that luck. The coming changes are a great step though and I think adding vendors, making the tokens more accessible, and buffing other activities will be sufficient for anyone but the most entitled users who want gear immediately.

5. There aren't enough muffins or chickens.

6. I'm really sick of females (especially those of us who want to romance other females) getting the short end of the stick on romances. They need to make all the romance options bi already.

7. Inability to disable the DvL popups. I like them but I know they bother a lot of people. It'd be nice for them to be able to disable them.

8. Bugs, bugs, bugs. Let's fix some of those, kay?

9. GTN issues. I'm on a dead server so our GTN is also dead. I'd love a unified market.

I'm sure there's more but that's it for now.

CXP sucks. It needs to be doable over legacy, so we have reason to play all our alts. It also needs to be given for *all* chapters so that we can make alts and enjoy playing them again.

RNG sucks. The rewards need to be set to levels and definitely given. Like at 30 CXP you get purple mod pants, at 60 you get a purple mod top...at 90 you get purple mod helmet and on it goes until we are outfitted. If the rewards are definitely given, people will have a reason to grind, because they *know* they will get a piece they need for their set. Grind sucks badly enough...grind with ambiguous and uncertain rewards? That's a game killer. I saw a guy get 300 and get nothing. That's sadistic.

Stop being so CHINTZY Bioware. Heaven forbid we I dunno, progress. :mad:

Edited by Lunafox

Along with so many of the ones already mentioned.

I got to add I hate what bw has done for playing alts.

Encouraged for so long to play an alt (or many alts) and now, any time spent doing something other than playing your main is wasted CXP that could have been on your main.

So many bad things this expansion but the 180 degree turn away from alt play was a stupid move on bws part.

RNG sucks. The rewards need to be set to levels and definitely given. Like at 30 CXP you get purple mod pants, at 60 you get a purple mod top...at 90 you get purple mod helmet and on it goes until we are outfitted.

30, 60, 90? Seriously? I definitely wouldn't resub for that kind of abuse. It's taken me better than an hour and a half per level up to 40 something. And you start getting tier 2 gear at 90. BW has lost their minds on this one. But it won't be my problem one way or another. My sub is up early next month and I'm not giving them another dime for this BS they call end game gearing. So, they fix it or I keep giving my money to someone else.

1. Can't customize looks of the new companions
  2. Companions lost "signature moves/abilities" (while I DO like that I can use whoever I want in any stance, I wish they'd kept their signature moves)
  3. L.I. haven't been returned, & they're not even sure when they'll return.
  4. The bug that kicks me back to the desktop at random moments (it's been happening for months now).

I'd also add that they insist on putting the best looking items in CM packs instead of direct sale. :mad: And while I can "force sensitive" myself to accept it, I do wish they'd have done something different for non-force using classes in KotFE/KotET.

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

30, 60, 90? Seriously? I definitely wouldn't resub for that kind of abuse. It's taken me better than an hour and a half per level up to 40 something. And you start getting tier 2 gear at 90. BW has lost their minds on this one. But it won't be my problem one way or another. My sub is up early next month and I'm not giving them another dime for this BS they call end game gearing. So, they fix it or I keep giving my money to someone else.

They also lost all value of putting any effort into making new rewards using the 1.2 korrealis mounts as Tier 2 rewards in the command crates, lol.

My issues with the game are mostly with 5.0

1. Removal of known slot loot tabled unassembled operations tokens dropping from each Operations boss broken down by difficulty tier.

2. Extremely alt hostile toon specific CXP grind.

3. The grindiness of the CXP system in general even if it was\would be applied to all toons in a legacy

3. RNG, RNG and RNG. If SWTOR players wanted RNG gearing they were probably already getting their fill in WOW and ESO and enjoying a much better implementation of it. SWTOR had a very simple, intuitive, and fulfilling gearing system before 5.0. it allowed us to gear main specs, off specs, and alts so we can play the game the way we want as much as we want. Now we are forced to grind the game in very particular ways that Bioware wants and have the "exciting" probability of probably still not get anything of worth for our efforts.

4. No new Operations since Shadow of Revan. We've received new warzone maps for PVP, new mini-flashpoints in the form of uprisings, two events that focused on grinding and regrinding old and very old content on multiple new toons, lots of new Cartel Market items, new strongholds, yet no end game group content for an ungodly amount of time in an MMO. KOTFE was a great opportunity for an operation under the guise of an alliance strike against the Eternal Empire and we got nothing.

5. The expanding menu bar. I would kill to be able to customize it to be like 4.0's menu bar or to choose which functions are on the bar and eliminate the expanding function. It sucks to try to drop and AOE heal in an Op at the top of the screen and end up in your inventory screen.

6. The Unmovable Dark vs Light bar that you can't disable that pops up in the middle of operations and other game play. Please let us disable it as well as move it and resize it.

7. Constant nerfing of PVE classes based on PVP demands. Please find a way to separately balance PVP and PVE aspects of characters.

Honorable mentions are

1. Removal of crystal\commendations to purchase higher quality items. This has rendered dailies completely useless since Heroics give way better monetary rewards and CXP while dailies give a pittance of credits and hardly any CXP.

2. How little CXP you get for playing large parts of the game and then we see hitting someone with a snowball and get a snow covered parcel giving you 20 CXP.

3. Renaming difficulty levels - was Story Mode, Hard Mode, Nightmare mode really difficult for people to understand or were some people feeling bad they played "story mode"?

4. Galactic Command crates are actually worse than the alliance command crates that we get for heroics that take much less effort. The armor that comes from GC crates is not even legacy bound, and can't be vendored while Alliance crates give legacy gear that can be vendored and gives good companion items at a solid drop rate.

5. Why does legacy reputation for specific factions such as Oricon's dread executioners drop from Galactic Command Crates? Players should have to earn their reputation with the faction, it's even legacy based.

Edited by RagnarAugustus

I have to say, I agree to some extent with the idea that the companion changes do have a downside. Though I like the freedom to use any companion I wish, I do miss the unique animations and some of the tinkering. I also do not care for companions that can not be customized at all.

And I STILL hold out hope one day that we will see craftable droid and trainable creature companions.

I agree with pretty muc heverything you said. I absolutely adored GSF, and they pushed it hard, and then, woop, nothing. Not a single new map since launch. It is ridiculous. I have never seen a company introduce new gametypes to a game and then abandon them so quickly.

Veteran mode is CLEARLY catered to the Jedi knight or Warrior classes.

The lag and ability delay in Kotet is literally game breaking, I tried fighting the first walker in ch viii on veteran, and i would have beaten it, but my abilities didnt fire off FIVE times in a row, and still went into cooldown .....