Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I am sorry but you are 100% wrong, it is game wide. Please read some of the 2400 posts in the previous thread... Every few pages someone like you pipes in. It is tiresome to have to explain over 2000 posts worth of logic and discussion to make you see this.

Well - apart from some abilites with non-synched animations this is a latency/FPS issue that compared to WoW creeps into avatar responsiveness very fast. So different people will have different experiences.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every other page there are people like me who tell you that we are NOT experiencing this problem because we do "this" and "that" but it seems all everyone does is try to ignore it or rationalize why they SHOULDN'T try it for some odd reason.

Don't spam, Don't panic heal, Wait until the move animation is finished before chaining, some moves naturally chain better than others.

I.E. Disturbance + Telekinetic Throw = Extremely smooth transition

Force Wave + Disturbance = Not so smooth transition

Darkfall was better. It was a completely different system however. Comparing Darkfall to SWTOR is like comparing Quake to Need for speed.

Its about game mechanics, and SWTOR is using the same game mechanics as WOW. Only WOW does it better. Character responsiveness and unbalanced PvP are two different things.

Anyone using the argument that WOW PvP was bad needs to keep in mind that what this thread is about is not overpowered abilities or the war CC works. Its about "when i click my button does my character do something?" and most of the time he doesnt.

To be honest we already have lag from playing the game over the net. we dont need more lag from a crappy programmed animation problem.

Just to piggy back GW 2(played it at PAX),Rift,WoW, and I believe AoC got the responsiveness in abilities down packed.

Can't remember if any other MMO has it down packed.

The luck of SWTOR is that people are really tired of WoW. Patches after patches without bringing something really new. In my opinion, as a 6 year wow player, is that i will not stop playing Swtor because of this bug... at least for now. It's hard to get used but it's something that i hope is going to be fixed in the future. I bet Bioware could not found yet how to solve the Animation/GCD link. They can't forget that building an MMO is more than a challenge when u have a game like wow that is perfect in gameplay matters. They should be more carefull on that. Now they have a serious poblem in hands to solve, and will not be easy for them for sure.

For now we can only try to "live with it". We already cried for BW, and probably they new this was going to happen sooner or later. My question is? Is a fluid gameplay, like the one wow gave to us, a secret recipe like Coca-Cola? If yes, BW must be concern!!!:D

May the force be with u BioWare, cause u will need it ! :t_rolleyes:

For what??? Cause I dont have the same issue as you??? Seriously???

No you admitted to having seeing the issue here and there. Then saying you didn't experience it.

Unless I misread.

If I didn't misread it, then it means that it's not consistent, and the issue is there may not harm you but it's in fact there, and it is more apparent to many people, the first thing I said in the The Harbinger server on my sith warrior was that vicious strike needs fixing, first response was "agreed." then later on I got whispers by 5 other people saying "agreed." then one said "Wait till you see stomp." A soon as I use it, my character(I laughed it looked funny) jumped and didn't go no where and jumped immediately after that finally doing damage.

Edited by Ryzerion

It does not matter what type of video game genre it is, a GOOD GAME has responsive controls.

And it is not like WoW was the only MMORPG with responsive combat, heck I played ancient EQ for 5 years and never dealt with crap like this.

I did not run into this type of unresponsive combat until i played warhammer.

So stop blaming WoW and demanding SWTOR be laggy and unresponsive, since WoW isn't.

Even ancient EQ was responsive and did not suffer from slow laggy unresponsive combat.

I can't agree more with this post.

I am sorry but you are 100% wrong, it is game wide. Please read some of the 2400 posts in the previous thread... Every few pages someone like you pipes in. It is tiresome to have to explain over 2000 posts worth of logic and discussion to make you see this.

Nope, you are. I know how my game reacts and that I never had any of the problems described. The same applies to my wife and a couple of guild mates. You should also read all those posts and hear the voices of those unaffected. I don't understand how people like you still do not see that this issue does - in fact - not affect everyone.

As we do not know the number of people not affected, nor the number of people affected we can only take the picture from the forum threads where it clearly seems that a vast majority of people are affected by this issue.

But it should also kept in mind that only a small portion of players write on the forums - from both sides of this. I additionally think that players not affected tend more to not write about it - or even visiting the forums - than players affected.

It is only natural - and in this case good - that people having issues will voice them and less people stating they don't.

Originally Posted by MaceTowani

Every other page there are people like me who tell you that we are NOT experiencing this problem because we do "this" and "that" but it seems all everyone does is try to ignore it or rationalize why they SHOULDN'T try it for some odd reason.

Don't spam, Don't panic heal, Wait until the move animation is finished before chaining, some moves naturally chain better than others.

Waiting for the animation to finish is the problem in itself. Why have a GCD or cast bars in the first place if I have to guess which moves smoothly translate into another because of the animations?

Edited by HoneyBoy

The luck of SWTOR is that people are really tired of WoW. Patches after patches without bringing something really new. In my opinion, as a 6 year wow player, is that i will not stop playing Swtor because of this bug... at least for now. It's hard to get used but it's something that i hope is going to be fixed in the future. I bet Bioware could not found yet how to solve the Animation/GCD link. They can't forget that building an MMO is more than a challenge when u have a game like wow that is perfect in gameplay matters. They should be more carefull on that. Now they have a serious poblem in hands to solve, and will not be easy for them for sure.

For now we can only try to "live with it". We already cried for BW, and probably they new this was going to happen sooner or later. My question is? Is a fluid gameplay, like the one wow gave to us, a secret recipe like Coca-Cola? If yes, BW must be concern!!!:D

May the force be with u BioWare, cause u will need it ! :t_rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree. I am not going to quit over this....yet

I have quit warzones, giant frustrating waste of time, cause of the delays and lagginess.

I can manage doing solo stuff and easy group stuff for now, but if i get to the point of raiding in a few months ( or however long) and I am wiping over and over and frustrated because of unresponsive controls ( just like warzones currently) then I will quit

No you admitted to having seeing the issue here and there. Then saying you didn't experience it.

Unless I misread.

What I am saying is I dont have a delay but occassionally, I mean very rarely, I will have to hit a button more then once to execute it...I never denied this and have stated it over and over that this DOES need to be fixed..

If this isnt clear, I dont know how to describe it better...Everyone talking about using "ravage" and how it wont work and/or they cant execute a interrupt instantly...Well that doesnt happen for me...My ravages work fine and I have no problem with interrupts...The only problem I have with my Ravage chain ability is the fact I might hit another attack before it finishes it which will cancel my chain...I think once you hit a ability, hitting another attack while the first is being executed shouldnt stop it

No he is not wrong...You have had a good amount of people post saying they are not experiencing the problem...How is he wrong???

I wont lie, I rarely will have a situation in pvp that I will hit the button and nothing will happen...but its not often...And that same situation has happen to me in WOW as well

Accept this or do not but the #1 I've learned from this thread is that the issue is in the core design of the game, mechanically and thus it is universal. There is a median, a good amount of people who for many different possible reasons simply are not sensitive enough to truly notice and appreciate this problem.

Waiting for the animation to finish is the problem in itself. Why have a GCD in the first place if I have to guess which moves smoothly translate into another because of the animations?

Precisely. This game relies on animation and combo chaining. The GCD is more or less a measure but overall some animations just work a whole lot better together than with others.

Think about it.

Strike + Slash = Always smooth

Charge + Slash = Always smooth

Slash + Blade Storm = Not so smooth

Force Wave + Riposte = Not so smooth

You learn as you go.

Well, I just played a full day at lvl 50 BH Merc, another day of not one time experiencing this supposed problem. Another day of queuing an attack on the ending animation of the previous one, another day on no space between attacks or animations whatsoever.

Thought it was just other classes that apparently had this supposed "problem" since my Merc has never had it, till I hear others claim their BH Merc's have all these supposed problems, Unload not firing off, etc.

Stop. Mashing. the Effing. Buttons.

And don't try and say that's not the problem. Cause it is. At least in those cases, it is.

And don't try the old "well you just take too long!" Phht. My attacks are coming off as fast as any player in this games. Cause they can't get any faster. I'm queuing attacks up on the hind-end of the one before it, before it's even quite finished.

Hell, sometimes I can get 2 instant attacks to fire nearly simultaneously.

Maybe other classes are having problems, but I've not had it on the Merc. I have noticed the cooldown and animations aren't always ending the exact same time for certain moves, and that should be tweaked and fixed... though it makes no difference to me, as I go 90% by animation anyhow.

Precisely. This game relies on animation and combo chaining. The GCD is more or less a measure but overall some animations just work a whole lot better together than with others.

Think about it.

Strike + Slash = Always smooth

Charge + Slash = Always smooth

Slash + Blade Storm = Not so smooth

Force Wave + Riposte = Not so smooth

You learn as you go.

That's the problem, they should all be smooth.

I think we can all agree for those having a serious problem with this

1. Fix animations so they end with the GCD

2. Fix the UI so if you hit the button, it immediately responds

Yes? No?

Fixing the animations would be awesome but it would only make it harder to balance things later. An ability with an animation of 3 secs wouldn't be easy to "buff" so it only took 2,5 secs for example. Allow clipping animation and the people who think the non-fluid animations they get when spamming are totally welcome to click buttons slower.

As I said before it IS there, some people notice it some do not, for those who do it is virtually gamebreaking at times, for those who do not then you should feel fortunate. But just because you do not "Feel" it does not mean it does not exist. Bounty Hunter Flame Thrower and Unload are two of the worst affected Unload just simply doesnt work sometimes but the GCD still triggers.

It is a horrible detached feeling from your avatar which I cannot put my finger on.

I think you are exaggerating. It only happens when you are spamming (pressing an ability multiple times 1111111111111111111111). Learn to control your character by timing your abilities. SWTOR combat is about timing. You cant spam or faceroll and win.

You don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. That's what *I* think.

Get to level 50 as a healer (pref Sage or Sorc), try a hard mode flashpoint, especially since they buffed Yadira Ban in the 1.01 patch, and come back and talk to me.

I'm not exaggerating at all. How could I be when there are freaking video examples of everything I listed in the OP?

Think people. Think.

Stop derailing this thread!

This ability delay is Fact! You may not feel or see it but it is a FACT!

Read the original post! Tired of people coming in and saying they dont

feel or notice this ...good for you but it is FACT!

Well shame on me for asking but would it solve the majority of the problems if the casting animations were all say, 0.1 seconds shorter than the cast time... That way it would never sit around doing nothing, right?

Aside from that a fix here is a major issue and like WoW will need some time to address, fix and implement said change, not possible to be done by next tuesday.