Another server rollback on Harbinger??!!!!!

Samoth_Nomad

I'm actually agreeing with this. Yeah, most people would be honest, but there are people who would make wild, insurance fraud like claims in the hopes to get free, high priced stuff.

An apology, on the other hand, would be nice.

Of course they should not just take people's word.

Independent of the character database, they should have record of which accounts logged in during the time window affected. If they have no detailed records, they should give every potentially affected character some kind of compensation, like a stack of soulbound CXP/XP boost consumables.

If they somehow have no records at all, about anything, then every character on the server should get such compensation (and they should fire the people who designed such a fragile and fault-intolerant system).

Edited by LagunaD

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they should not just take people's word.

Independent of the character database, they should have record of which accounts logged in during the time window affected. If they have no detailed records, they should give every potentially affected character some kind of compensation, like a stack of soulbound CXP/XP boost consumables.

If they somehow have no records at all, about anything, then every character on the server should get such compensation (and they should fire the people who designed such a fragile and fault-intolerant system).

I agree as this inconvenienced a good many people. Losing 6 hrs isn't good.

That this can happen is at least very, very bad database design and lacking proper HA setup. I don't know what their backend is, but unless the database itself is an in-house development (which would make no sense to me) even with data corruption in some places, you still can recover data, at least partially. Unless you simply ran out of space/had your storage die on you, and no data was written back at all, which is...even worse to contemplate, because that would be really, really incompetent infrastructure setup.

Turn it any way you want, something is very wrong with their setup.

My toon was also unaffected, so I don't see the big deal haha

I assume you're trying to be funny. I too wasn't affected but I still see the problem with large numbers of people getting hosed.

I posted above hoping that the information about not logging in until the server crazies stopped is what saved me from getting wiped.

I assume you're trying to be funny. I too wasn't affected but I still see the problem with large numbers of people getting hosed.
My toon also was not effected....this time.

Hopefully, the Devs figure out what happened and how to keep it from happening again. Next time, it may not be a few people or a few hours.

That this can happen is at least very, very bad database design and lacking proper HA setup. I don't know what their backend is, but unless the database itself is an in-house development (which would make no sense to me) even with data corruption in some places, you still can recover data, at least partially. Unless you simply ran out of space/had your storage die on you, and no data was written back at all, which is...even worse to contemplate, because that would be really, really incompetent infrastructure setup.

Turn it any way you want, something is very wrong with their setup.

Sadly it's not so simple. Companies big like this are probably going to use a 3rd party HA whole system, integrated with their own facilities. Usually what happens it that either the "integration" has issues / version mismatch of one of 1000 sub-components / slight incompatibility they did not find out before they upgraded everything to support the latest expansion. Some times (only happened me a couple of times in 33+ years of developing software) the HA or the database itself got a rare bug and it's going to corrupt data in hideous, creative ways that get discovered only once several thousands rows got ruined and it gets hellish to restore integrity constraints etc.

We have also this "little" issue, where you can't just take down the server for a week and recover data and restore data relations (by hand or not) because players expect to play within 1 hour or 2 from shutdown.

Edited by Vaerah

Sadly it's not so simple. Companies big like this are probably going to use a 3rd party HA whole system, integrated with their own facilities. Usually what happens it that either the "integration" has issues / version mismatch of one of 1000 sub-components / slight incompatibility they did not find out before they upgraded everything to support the latest expansion. Some times (only happened me a couple of times in 33+ years of developing software) the HA or the database itself got a rare bug and it's going to corrupt data in hideous, creative ways that get discovered only once several thousands rows got ruined and it gets hellish to restore integrity constraints etc.

We have also this "little" issue, where you can't just take down the server for a week and recover data and restore data relations (by hand or not) because players expect to play within 1 hour or 2 from shutdown.

Accurate assessment. And todays game servers are a box full of many different software components, particularly databases and such.

It certainly sucks when a game server crashes, as it impacts many thousands of players.... but stuff does break in the real world and @#$% happens. Harbinger has had issues over time, yet it's up time is remarkably high if you look at it objectively. It's just that when the @#$% does hit the fan, it impacts thousands.

I'm pretty sure they lease their servers, server space, and even some support staff from a couple of large server farm providers. Even many large tech companies these days don't own their own server farms, they lease them from large server farm providers. The studios east coast servers are located in Virginia and the west coast ones are in southern California. I'm sure they have robust Service Level Agreements as part of their lease... but that just insures timely remedy to any downtime. No SLA can prevent failures, only mitigate the impact.

Edited by Andryah

Accurate assessment. And todays game servers are a box full of many different software components, particularly databases and such.

It certainly sucks when a game server crashes, as it impacts many thousands of players.... but stuff does break in the real world and @#$% happens. Harbinger has had issues over time, yet it's up time is remarkably high if you look at it objectively. It's just that when the @#$% does hit the fan, it impacts thousands.

I'm pretty sure they lease their servers, server space, and even some support staff from a couple of large server farm providers. Even many large tech companies these days don't own their own server farms, they lease them from large server farm providers. The studios east coast servers are located in Virginia and the west coast ones are in southern California. I'm sure they have robust Service Level Agreements as part of their lease... but that just insures timely remedy to any downtime. No SLA can prevent failures, only mitigate the impact.

That is all well and good. It makes complete sense. I agree with you.

However, "Sorry for the inconvenience" would have gone a long way. As someone who used to work in customer service, I had to say that a lot, even if I, nor my direct superiors, were at fault. "We apologize. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will look into it." That takes the wind out of people's sails when they're upset. It makes them feel like they're heard.

We didn't get that. We just got the standard, "Servers are up. We'll keep an eye on the problem. *exit stage right*" All that did was fan the flames and make people feel even more hopeless. Know what I mean? Saying sorry wouldn't fix the situation. But it makes people feel like they're heard and understood.

And feeling like they're not heard or understood is kind of the main issue people are having with most everything involving 5.0 and the Harbinger rollbacks.

Edited by AngFour

However, "Sorry for the inconvenience" would have gone a long way. As someone who used to work in customer service, I had to say that a lot, even if I, nor my direct superiors, were at fault. "We apologize. Sorry for the inconvenience. We will look into it." That takes the wind out of people's sails when they're upset. It makes them feel like they're heard.

We didn't get that. We just got the standard, "Servers are up. We'll keep an eye on the problem. *exit stage right*" All that did was fan the flames and make people feel even more hopeless. Know what I mean? Saying sorry wouldn't fix the situation. But it makes people feel like they're heard and understood.

...and a day later, still not even a word of apology, much less anything about compensation.

What a shoddy, low-class operation this game has become...

From today's live stream, per Dulfy:

Harbinger Rollback

They are sorry about the rollbacks, they are working with customer service to get as much stuff back for you as possible. Submit a ticket if you havn’t.

Edited by Andryah

There was in the live stream but yeah a follow up post in this thread wouldn't go a miss.

Not everyone can watch the live stream, but anyone can read the forums. An apology in writing would be nice, but I think it's now too little, too late. All it would seem to be now is an after thought. The apology should have been the day they rebooted the server.

Yeah, but look at the time of my post. I posted it before the livestream.

So.. the apology does not count then? :p

I saw the time difference. I was providing a public server in this thread by letting people know that they did apologize and are working to get as much replaced as they can, and encourage impacted players to open a ticket for remedy.

I read this forum and Dulfy. Between the two.. I manage to get just about everything they say, no matter where they say it. Try it.. you might like it. :)

Not everyone can watch the live stream, but anyone can read the forums. An apology in writing would be nice, but I think it's now too little, too late. All it would seem to be now is an after thought. The apology should have been the day they rebooted the server.

Bingo.

This has probably been addressed in the previous comments, but when I logged on today my baby BH is level 4 despite being about ready to leave Hutta last night. She was about level 13 or 14. She had just gotten Mako as a companion and was headed to Fathra's. Am I crazy or did none of what I did happen. Is that what a "rollback" is. Also, I seem to be missing 2 million credits on my GTN toon. I promise, I am not being silly, I honestly am just curious so I don't wonder if I am losing my mind.

I will continue to read through the thread but figured I would ask as well.

Thx!

Edited by Chellomander

This has probably been addressed in the previous comments, but when I logged on today my baby BH is level 4 despite being about ready to leave Hutta last night. She was about level 13 or 14. She had just gotten Mako as a companion and was headed to Fathra's. Am I crazy or did none of what I did happen. Is that what a "rollback" is. Also, I seem to be missing 2 million credits on my GTN toon. I promise, I am not being silly, I honestly am just curious so I don't wonder if I am losing my mind.

I will continue to read through the thread but figured I would ask as well.

Thx!

Yeah, sounds like you got hit with the rollback. You can try filing a ticket to see if you can get your character and credits restored.

Just prove what jerks they are, their own "Livestream wrap-up" post has no mention of any apology, or any instructions to submit tickets for compensation.

Message to affected players: "We don't care, FOAD."

Edited by LagunaD

I don't complain often, but that server roll back cost me in auctions, it really screwed some of my crap up, and I'm still fuming a bit. Was this really done because some people found an exploit?

Since the community drones couldn't find it in their hearts to provide any information, or even apologize, we don't know why it was done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.