Worst Companion?

Danniann

What qualifies someone as a "beast" companion to you? :eek: Gus for example is a smart guy who speaks Basic...

My Papaw's prized Big Mouth Billy Bass hanging on his wall sings basic.

And is Gus smart? Is he? Is he. ... :D

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bored, so I decided to do a comprehensive ranking of all the companions.

Some notes:

• I haven't recruited Xalek on my Inquisitor yet, so his ranking is based on his Alliance alert and running around with him for the achievements.
  • I've only ever left Ak'ghal Usar locked up, so his ranking is based entirely on the brief conversation after freeing him.
  • Jaesa is only Light Jaesa. I have no interest in Dark Jaesa.
  • None of the Cartel Market critters/droids are here.
  • I can't shake the feeling I managed to leave someone out. I did remember Z0-0M in time.

Tier I: Favorites

1. Kira Carsen

2. Mako

3. Vette

4. Elara Dorne

5. Blizz

6. M1-4X

7. Senya Tirall

8. T7-O1

9. HK-55

Tier II: Lesser Favorites

10. Aric Jorgan

11. Risha

12. Z0-0M

13. Talos Drellik

14. Shae Vizla

15. Lana Beniko

16. Gault

Tier III: Good

17. Kaliyo Djannis

18. Andronikos Revel

19. Bowdaar

20. Corso Riggs

21. Jaesa Wilsaam

22. Guss Tuno

Tier IV: Solid

23. Raina Temple

24. Nadia Grell

25. Yuun

26. Arcann

27. Scourge

28. Master Ranos

29. Theron Shan

30. HK-51

31. Nico Okarr

32. Ashara Zavros

33. SCORPIO

34. Koth Vortena

35. Eckard Lokin

Tier V: The Star Fortress Six (and a Few Others)

36. K'krohl

37. Hemdil Tre

38. Akaavi Spar

39. Tharan Cedrax

40. Pierce

41. Choza Rabat

42. Rokuss

43. Deadeye Leyta

44. Treek

45. Veeroa Denz

Tier VI: Go See the Wizard, Ask Him for a Personality

46. Felix Iresso

47. Fideltin Rusk

48. Torian Cadera

49. Qyzen Fess

Tier VII: Actively Dislike

50. Vector Hyllus

51. Doc

52. Xalek

53. Ak'ghal Usar

Tier VIII: Ship Droids

54. 2V-R8

55. C2-N2

Tier IX: Ugh

56. Skadge

57. Zenith

58. Malavai Quinn

59. Tanno Vik

60. Broonmark

Tier X: DIE!

61. Khem Val

Favorite: Kaliyo. She's that girl your parents warned you about. She'll likely use and discard you, but the ride down to the bottom will be one HELL of a ride. 3 years later you'll wake up in a motel and wonder "*** happened?" You look over and see she left her wedding ring and half a fifth of vodka. Remembering the good times and the bad ones you can't help but smile.

Least Favorite: Corso. Go white knight somewhere else you naive schmuck. I mean from the get go on Ord Mantell he's a hypocrite. I'll murder a separatist who's surrendering, but the chick who murdered my boss/friend and tried to have me waxed well... that makes me feel bad =/ aw.... now my feelings are hurt.

Edited by Theunseenjinx

I was going to say Skadge, but TBH he's just a minor annoyance. Koth is a huge one and I wanted to throw him out of the airlock even on my most LS characters. Valkorion fanboy is something none of our Player Characters should be able to stand after Ziost, maybe other than most stoic Jedi.

And only reading this topic I realized why so many people hate Ashara, I guess her story is completely out of place for pure DS characters. For my LS inquisitor she felt like a truly appropriate companion, someone who can be trusted and who understands his agenda in the treacherous world of Sith. The occasional tension and misunderstanding only made it more believable.

What qualifies someone as a "beast" companion to you? :eek: Gus for example is a smart guy who speaks Basic...

Maybe beast isn't the right word for someone like Gus, though he isn't really a companion that I particularly like.:p

But companions like Khem,Qyzen, Broonmark even Xalek, I feel like they're just pointless clutter!!

Edited by Eshvara

Maybe beast isn't the right word for someone like Gus, though he isn't really a companion that I particularly like.:p

But companions like Khem,Qyzen, Broonmark even Xalek, I feel like they're just pointless clutter!!

Obviously such things are subjective and you're perfectly entitled to your taste. But this is so weird to me. :) Some of these characters have great writing and others are not so interesting. That's what makes them stand out or bore me.

Obviously such things are subjective and you're perfectly entitled to your taste. But this is so weird to me. :) Some of these characters have great writing and others are not so interesting. That's what makes them stand out or bore me.

Well it's good that you enjoy them, I wish I could too, but I just don't feel the same way.:p But yeah like you said everyone has a different opinion, nobody is right or wrong.:D

Jedi Knight

Hatred : Doc

Best : oh I am stuck between t7 and Kira

The rest are ok, not really impressive but ok.

JEdi Counselor:

Best: I have to go with a few Qyzen , Valentine/theran, Felix

The rest are ok, though one of the companions does seem forced.

Smuggler:

Best: Bowdaar, Gus , Risha

NOt great but not terrible either: Akaavi (I swear she snores when I use her as a companion)

Dislike/: Corso (his story arc and odd ideas about women is what puts him here). Alot of it seemed very face palming.

Trooper:

Best: every one of them except

Hate: Vik

Warrior:

best vette , Pierce,

Like : Jaesa, her story arc is good but after that I don't know I just found her a little too boring.

Hate: Quinn and that psycho furball

Sith Inquisitor: Haven't finished Though It would be cool if Zash was a companion. I don't know why but I like her.

Agent:

Best: Vector , Lokin

Dislike : the rest . I can't really hate Kalyio even though I question why we have her onboard. YOu basically know from the start she is untrustworthy. So her betraying you shouldn't be surprising. though she does have some funny lines.

BH:

best: Blizz, Mako , Gault

Indifferent: Torian, I felt he got boring after his "meet torian" arc was done.

Dislike/hatred: Skadge: I lost all respect for Bounty Hunters after we let ourselves be bullied into letting him on the ship.

I am adding to my post because I did start KOFE etc.

Great: Lana Theron, Senya

Not necessarly hate but dislike:

Koth: HIs my way or the highway type of attitude. or the talking to the commander like a child "we are doing the right thing" Um Koth pretty sure I am older then you there is no reason to talk to me like a disobedient child. I could name a few other times where he thought he was smarter then the person in charge. Yes I am taking Senya with me get over it.

Oh his I only care about my planet and my people unless it is senya she can die painfully. His rudeness to Senya, she did nothing wrong other then her Job. Last I checked her job was to find someone who was deemed a traitor. You don't get a pass just because you think you are special. Also his rudeness to HK and T7, they are trying to help be a little kinder. For a guy who comes from a society that is dependent on robots (according to kaylio) and if I understand part of the military. You would think he would be nicer.

Edited by LeelaSeventen

I see you haven't posted your worst companion in this thread. :p

And I'm curious which "beast" companion you think has good writing?

I see you haven't posted your worst companion in this thread. :p

I didn't think I needed to! The worst is obviously Skadge! :D

Actually, I'm half joking. I'm not sure what constitutes the true worst companion. Is it the one who provokes the most hate and annoyance? Then it probably is Skadge - or maybe, these days, Koth (though I think Koth is actually written very well for the most part and I'd put him in the list of best companions). But maybe it's the companion who provokes the least reaction. I'm not even sure who that is, 'cos people not talking about someone isn't at all obvious.

As I see it, there are two competing issues when it comes to writing a cast of companions for each class. On the one hand, it's good if they all feel like a coherent crew. On the other hand, the main character can be played a bunch of different ways, so the companion roster needs to include at least one companion for every roleplaying approach. With one of my sith warriors, the mindless killer Broonmark feels completely out of place - but, with another warrior, he's the most suitable companion. Similarly, Tanno Vik doesn't work with any of my troopers - but based on some of the conversation options you can take, he would work with some players' troopers. If he didn't exist in the roster, those troopers mightn't have anyone who really matched their temperament.

It seems like the main writing obstacle is when there's a roleplaying approach you can take consistently through the class story that, if completely followed through, would result in you rejecting the companion (in whatever form that might take - exile, death, imprisonment, or simply parting ways). As the bounty hunter, you can fairly consistently play the consummate professional who completes a contract if she takes a job and maintains honourable conduct. For a lot of people, this presents a problem in terms of working with Skadge (or even Gault). Or consider not being able to kill Quinn after the Quinncident. This is an immersion-breaking moment for a lot of people.

Is the worst companion one who breaks immersion? Maybe. But, again, this is not so simple as it might initially appear. Some companions whose stories include immersion-breaking moments are otherwise very well-written. That can be what makes these moments all the more annoying, like a fly ruining an exquisite soup in a fancy restaurant rather than just flying into a cheap cup-a-soup at home. But a really well-written companion with an unfortunate moment like this at least gives one plenty of other material to enjoy, especially if one head-canons the inconsistent stuff away. The bland, unmemorable ones don't even have that. There isn't enough interesting material there to make head-canons even have a point.

And I'm curious which "beast" companion you think has good writing?

Out of all the alien companions who don't speak Basic, I think that Khem Val has the best writing. His situation is thematically related to the sith inquisitor in terms of slavery, loyalty, and power. His attitude towards the main character changes over the course of the story in an interesting way. Plus you get some great choices with regard to him, one of which is so genuinely impactful that the devs had to put another character into an alliance alert in his place because they probably couldn't afford to record him "both ways." :(

Edited by Estelindis

Counsular

Best: Nadia or Qyzen. Probably the most meh class of companions though.

Worst: All the rest.

Knight

Best: Kira and T7 and sometimes just T7

Worst: Doc. He's a creep. My female knights are celibate as far as he can tell.

Trooper:

Best: Elara for males and probably Jorgan for females.

Worst: M1, the gung-ho attitude just annoys me after about 15 nanoseconds. It used to be Vik but I decided to give his story a chance, now Vik is 2nd worst.

Smuggler:

Best. Bowdaar. After than C2-N2.

Worst: All.The. Rest.

Inquisitor

I refuse to chose a best. They're all bad. I quite often will use HK-51.

Worst: none are horrid all are bad.

Warrior

Best: Vette, followed by LS Jaessa if playing LS.

Worst: Broonmark. It (He? She?) reminds me of the salt sucking monster on the first episode of Star Trek TOS.

Agent

Best: First play through I rather liked Ensign Temple. Since then I've spent most time with Kaliyo.

Worst: Oh probably Scorpio. But that's likely biased from subsequent stories. :p

BH:

Best: Mako or Gault. I hated Gault the first play through but like him now.

Worst: What an absurd question. Even my full LS BH killed him.

Overall loser: Skadge.

Inq: Favorite: Khem Val

least favorite: Ashara, at least with Dark side inquisitors. The dialogue whenever you click on her doesn't help promote her -"I will not go against my teachings" or something to that effect. Get OVER it already, you are now pledged to a dark lord of the SITH!. .... :D

SW: Favorite: Vette.

least favorite: Broonmark. I prefer if the companions speak Basic.

BH: Favorite: Torian. Mando'ade.

least favorite :Skadge: my LS BH didn't like him, but as a player, I can see a reason for this psychotic muscle to be around.

JC:

least favorite: Zenith. A terrorist, at least in the viewpoint of my LS JC.

Smuggler: Favorite: Akaavi, Guss

least favorite: Risha. Too much of a gold-digger.

IA: favorite: Scorpio

least favorite: Vector. He's kind.... but he's still.... a BUG. I don't LIKE bugs.

RT: favorite: Elara Dorne. Least favorite Yuun. Same reason as above.

JK: FAVORITE: is SCOURGE. Did I say Scourge? YES. Favorite.

least favorite: Doc. He is a sleeze.

ALLIANCE & other companions: Favorite: HK-51. And HK-55. I'd still like to see a scene that had dialogue actually between these two

Least favorite: Koth. I'd like to take him to Ziost for a reality check.

The tukata/droid companions: they look cool, but ... They don't do crafting missions, and there's no "dialogue".

Least favorite a.k.a worst compagnion :

Rep and/or Imp side (they are interchangable as far as I'm concerned) the ship droids..

Why are they there, and don't tell me for comic relief they fail horrible at it ... so to the meltoven with them!!

Favorite(s) Forex and Blizz (I endured the quests to get them back ...) with a added fan fiction, have both these compagnions on a quest during which you hear forex complaining that the little jawa keeps tinkering on him :p

Worst:

Skadge tends to win the worst companion award simply because of the hamfisted way that you get stuck with him. It's just ... horrible. There really should be an option to shoot him on the spot and pick up a mouse droid or something in his place....

Favorites:

Ashara - Best looking

Nadia - That voice....squee!

Worst:

Skadge tends to win the worst companion award simply because of the hamfisted way that you get stuck with him. It's just ... horrible. There really should be an option to shoot him on the spot and pick up a mouse droid or something in his place....

Favorites:

Ashara - Best looking

Nadia - That voice....squee!

Someone did said NADIA??? OMG ! Thumbs up !

Someone did said NADIA??? OMG ! Thumbs up !

The JC have the most uninspiring companions in the game. I've come to "like" Nadia on my Shadow but honestly I think it's because the others are so meh. ;)

Edited by Keta

Skadge. I did not know we could end him. I will do so with my BH, just for some resolution to her story.

Broonmark fits with a SW, but i just don't like his rabidness.

Xalek... don't like him. In KotFE, killed him twice, took him on once (made sense for that particular character) and left him as an alert most of the rest of the time. Come to think of it, ... most of the alerts on most of my characters are undone.

<.<

I really dislike Quinn, but i don't think of him as a "worst" companion. He's actually pretty good, but that incident.... he earns the unique distinction of being the best companion i hate the most.

Ashara Zavros is annoying only for that one fight line of hers (Don't make me go against my teachings). It's like *rolleyes* get over it, that should have been just one line in one of her cutscenes and that's it. After a while, i just send her back to the ship. Drop that line, and the "annoy factor" is gone.

Edited by TikkyLightmaker

Vic Skadge and Kalyio KILL ME. I want so badly just to never ever have to deal with them.

The worst part about Kaliyo is to be stuck with just her for SOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo.......

long.

Fortunately we now have these nifty devices (or some of us do) where we can call Nico and/or Shae Vizla before their time.

favorite forever is vette second is kira

swtors leats favorites are as follows 1 malavai Quinn 2 aric jorgan just becuz he was such an *** for the entirety of chapter one and I hate him for the rest of the game now

least favorites for kotet and kotfe Koth and aric jorgan