Dark Vs. Light Packs in the Cartel Market

EricMusco

I am confused with this, do you guys and gals at BW actually want people to be angry?

You got an event which is basically a re-hash of everything released since the game launched. While this is fantastic incentive for 'new' players to get into the game there is not a whole lot for the 'oldies' to be excited about.

The DvL packs is a cool idea, its something that pretty much all will play for. Myself included, i started a few new toons and was pretty happy to re-live some of the stories, use different dialogue choices and such.

So when i got my first lot of packs i was genuinely shocked that the packs were not BoL, not even the container that they come in?? giving the fact that most people will delete these toons after they have done what they needed to reach the next reward tier this decision was pretty stupid.

So on the developer stream, a lot of people was happy that BW was looking into this 'issue' and they would let us know soon. Now we get this announcement which seems a slap in the face. It seems painfully obvious that this was the plan all along.

I hope thats not the case, i hope that the DvL rewards are changed to BoL soon and that we get a nice post from Eric (hint, hint) to confirm this.

Just my thoughts, still enjoy this game. Made some cool friends through it and love my characters i have built up. Its just that stuff like this leaves a bad taste.

Enjoy SWTOR people :)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo well, I decided to spend some of my free CC on this and see.

Bought 25 single packs and one only "usefull" I got out of that was part of Tulak Hord armour.

Rest is as most know, pure vendor trash, and FYI NO I can't get the rest of the GTN since they lack among other the chest part.

Well I tried and failed, now I can go back and ignore packs for another year or so again :D

It is impressive how brazen you guys can be.

The more I see you commit such acts, the more I'm lead to believe you are either horribly disconnected from your player base, or you actively want to give players reasons to quit this game, so you can justify shutting it down to have the resources spent on other EA / Bioware projects.

Edited by BenKatarn

Indeed, but that wasn't the point I was making, was it? You are just using that age old argument to deflect a simple fact: If you feel that this pack is just a money grab and not worthy of your attention, then you can turn to the GTN and buy the items there. Or you don't participate and buy anything at all. If someone else (like myself) thinks the payout of rare armour sets and decorations in very good for 250 CC, then that's completely fine. I received two Temple Guardian upper armour sets from that pack. If you wait for a few months until supply is depleted, those boxes will be 7m each. That's 500 CC for 14m credits. If you feel as if this is against your subjective idea of a good business, then don't support it with your time and money. That will send a clearer message than the usual passive-aggressive forum posts.

And you know that this is the only solution to the issue that we can expect in the coming weeks? Neither is this event anywhere close to over, nor did they announce that those packs are supposed to be the solution to the issue with BoP content that doesn't unlock in collections. Even as a major opponent of the event: How about you wait until it is more likely that there won't be a seperate solution - like nearly through the event?

If you would have any idea about my post history and reddit history, you would see that I am actually a major opponent of "KotOR discussion", calling them out as a simple money saving solution in detriment to the story philosophy, that the GCC were badly implemented, that I hadn't bought any kind of packs in six months, and that I have been vocal about how little actual content the game receives compared to CM stuff.

But go ahead - try to make your case with false ad hominem accusations. It's fun to read.

First, you want me to not make "passive-aggressive forum posts" as you put it and instead not buy in, which is fair but I won't just sit there and pretend that one person not paying them will make any difference, especially while other people are buying in to this farce. I intend to voice my opinion, even if Bioware doesn't care, other people might read and realize what's going on.

Second, waiting until it's too late to change anything is not a good idea. Fact is, it probably already is too late to change anything. We're too deep in the event now to change what has already been given out, but I feel that this solution (if it is as I suspect their solution to the BoP issue) is not a good one, and they need to know it.

Lastly, I apologize if I slighted you. I'm a bit heated right now by this news and I may have been a bit harsh to you. So I'm sorry for that.

So on the developer stream, a lot of people was happy that BW was looking into this 'issue' and they would let us know soon. Now we get this announcement which seems a slap in the face. It seems painfully obvious that this was the plan all along.

That is exactly what all the evidence points to.

All The Best

Ooo well, I decided to spend some of my free CC on this and see.

Bought 25 single packs and one only "usefull" I got out of that was part of Tulak Hord armour.

Rest is as most know, pure vendor trash, and FYI NO I can't get the rest of the GTN since they lack among other the chest part.

Well I tried and failed, now I can go back and ignore packs for another year or so again :D

Kinda got the same to at least difference being I was trying for the new tuning items. I got 3 lightside weapon tuning's from the event packs 2 at 50 and 1 at 65. Though don't like the effect it's too small to notice, so bought a hypercrate of the new pack thinking I might get the darkside one if I was so lucky with the lightside. I got nada, nothing, nowt, zip, diddaly that I didn't already have, luckily I can sell some of it for a bit of profit.

Oh, i know that, I've unlocked quite a few sets, but both Tulak Hord and Ceremonial Mystic still say 0/7 in my collection. Since both sets are quite expensive I don't really want to buy the missing parts to get the whole set, if the parts I have are invalid...

Thanks for the input, though.

That includes the 0/7 that's still showing up in my collection? It would be really annoying to buy these expensive missing parts to then just have the parts I got from the event not work when i equip everything...

You can buy any missing piece separately without worries, it counts and it works with LvD-bound items.

You can buy any missing piece separately without worries, it counts and it works with LvD-bound items.

Thanks for the info. As I said I was worried because it still shows the 0/7.

Edited by Sluedis

Thanks for the info. As I said I was worried because it still shows the 0/7.

I have only half the Dramatic Extrovert set because I didn't need the belt or the helmet, and it still shows 0/7 for me aswell, even though my character has been wearing that kinky chestplate for 2+ years now. I don't know if it's intended or not, but it's not a big drama.

The only thing I'm sure of, is that you don't receive the "this object xxx has been added to collections" message until after you actually equip the whole set at least once.

So, does this mean that non-Cartel market DvL packs will not EVER unlock in collections unless we manage to get the entire set on a single character? That pretty much makes them trash. Seriously fix this. They are TRASH otherwise.

Also, in 4.0 it was changed so that you didn't have to have everything on one character but now you do again? That's also something that needs to be fixed.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

So, does this mean that non-Cartel market DvL packs will not EVER unlock in collections unless we manage to get the entire set on a single character? That pretty much makes them trash. Seriously fix this. They are TRASH otherwise.

Also, in 4.0 it was changed so that you didn't have to have everything on one character but now you do again? That's also something that needs to be fixed.

They're addressing this already... They're going to implement a work around for the DvL packs so you don't need all the items on the same character.

Why do they keep trying to squeeze every last dime out of the same small group of people with these gambling packs? They have to know that this is such a terrible way to treat your customers.

Giving players who missed out on picking up the high-value armor sets before they ballooned up to 100 million credits a new chance to get them seems like a GOOD way to treat your customers. It's a lot like the gold armor packs.

If you don't want to pay dollars for them, wait 36 hours and pay credits.

Edit: added some left-out words.

Edited by Caelrie

Giving players who missed out on picking up the high-value armor sets before they ballooned up to 100 million credits seems like a GOOD way to treat your customers. It's a lot like the gold armor packs.

"Giving players?" LOL spending $500 of real life money gambling doesn't seem like a gift. Most of these poor players you are talking about will probably spend money they don't have and end up NOT getting the items they were looking for. What a joke.

Giving players who missed out on picking up the high-value armor sets before they ballooned up to 100 million credits seems like a GOOD way to treat your customers. It's a lot like the gold armor packs.

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking. Let me guess, you're the same person who will scream RNG!!!!!! when most of the community ends up with vendor trash. Oh wait, there's always the ever original "nobody is forcing you to buy them" line. So popular. So clever. Whatever.

Oh how noble and charitable of them to give players a "chance". Wait. What are those chances exactly? 1 in 5? 1 in 10? The "chances" are more like 1 in 10,000 of getting a platinum item. Maybe even higher. Probably way higher. Call it for what it is.

"Giving players?" LOL spending $500 of real life money gambling doesn't seem like a gift. Most of these poor players you are talking about will probably spend money they don't have and end up NOT getting the items they were looking for. What a joke.

Oh, you're just looking out for gambling addicts...

Suuuuuuuure.

Oh how noble and charitable of them to give players a "chance". Wait. What are those chances exactly? 1 in 5? 1 in 10? The "chances" are more like 1 in 10,000 of getting a platinum item. Maybe even higher. Probably way higher. Call it for what it is.

You don't need to actually get the exact piece you want, when they're BOE. All you need is something that'll sell for a lot on the GTN, then you can sell it and buy the one you do want. It's not that hard and that makes it a LOT less random than you're making out. You don't need winning lotto numbers here.

Edited by Caelrie

Ill admit I'm not exactly the most positive person, but I have defended this game a few times when they were saying battlefront is a better game, and I really, and I mean REALLY love the vanilla class stories, the vanity items such pets/mounts/regen emotes, the star wars feel etc. etc. I could go on about the base game, but ever since ROTHC, and especially KOTFE I haven't been too happy.

Besides, its a public forum anyway so I can post my feelings, and you can post yours. Your post only serves as a non constructive personal attack that furthers no ones opinions on why this is a good change. I'm not happy because this was their "fix" to the DVL events being BOP and getting useless gear and having to pay CC, and instead of making it BOL or simply equip up, we have to PAY for proper rewards, least I can get the stuff through the GTN now if I wanted it with credits.

...Am I in any of the corners?

EDIT- I kind of felt this one was rude :(. Going to change it in a sec...

Ditto face it items in these packs are found in chance cubes. Two defeats doing the event if any character can buy packs.

Is this real life? You can't be serious.

I think I need to go back to bed and try getting up on the other side of the bed. Hold on...

Nope, the post is still there. Ok then.

There's no way you don't realize how obnoxious this is... right? I mean, you've basically just said "if you don't want to do the dark vs. light event, you can now PAY TO WIN to get the stuff that you wanted from the retro packs." This makes it abundantly clear that the "gesture" of "giving out old rewards" for the anniversary "event" was not a gesture at all; it was a marketing tactic to prime people for the later release of the same packs as purchasable for RL money.

It is abundantly clear that virtually every platitude said in the livestream was PR lies. And that corporate greed has your company by the balls. Go ahead and laugh behind the scenes though, because people are going to pay anyway. As one can see reading this thread, your priming tactic worked. Congratulations, your psychological manipulation crits the playerbase for 500k.

Not everyone is going to put up with it though.

Had this come *after* an announcement that you've found a way to fix the BoP issue with event packs, that would be one thing. Instead, it just comes across like this is your big solution. "PAY MONEY!!!"

If there was a surefire way to cement in peoples' minds that this whole event is a cash grab, well... congratulations, you found it.

I don't know why I'm even wasting my time writing this. Clearly it's falling on deaf ears.

Really? So we are stuck with rewards from an event we participate in that we can't even use most of the time because they are BOP but the good news is we can buy the BOE version in the market?

In what reality is this a good thing?

I usually find a lot of what you do reasonable but this takes the cake.

Edited by serenitty