Dark Vs. Light Packs in the Cartel Market

EricMusco

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But.... you're not. You can buy all of these items starting Wednesday night with ingame credits.

Just because we'll be able to buy the stuff at the pricing whims of other players on the GTN, in limited supply, doesn't change what this is. Never mind that being able to do that in the first place means other players need to go along with the money-grabbing nature of this by buying the packs.

That is why people would have been better off doing anything other than the event. IF anyone who is not a new player was doing this for the rewards I feel sorry for them because they could have invested all that time saving up credits for when this pack came out, they've pretty much wasted their time. Hopefully more vets stop doing this event and instead do other things if they want those packs it does no good to feed BW's stupid metrics. It's not to late for vets to stop doing the event and grind credits to buy the packs off the GTN instead. :)

If I wanted the stuff in the packs badly enough, then yeah, that'd be the ideal thing to do. I never wanted any of it that badly though. I'm just really disappointed about the message that this whole thing sends, ya know? :/

When the ideal solution is to basically work against the company, like it's some kind of elaborate business dance, that makes me sad.

Because you can't simply unlock in collections single parts. :rolleyes:

For armor sets in general, you need to equip at least once the entire armor on the same character. So there is nothing to fix because you're doing something wrong, not the game.

Not what he ment.

Here i'll explain it. (and yes its a wall of text) It used to be If you wanted to unlock Satele Shan's armor set, you had to get every piece on one character and bind each piece to that character to unlock in collections. But with 4.0 they changed it so you could bind the armor sets chest and hands on one character and then the boots, legs and belt on another character and it would still unlock the entire set. But....between 4.1 and 4.4 it broke and reverted back to pre 4.0 collection requirements, all pieces on one character.

Now when Eric posted the blog right before the event, he accurately said that different pieces on different characters would unlock in collections....based on 4.0 patch notes, but he did not know (nither did I till I tested it 2 days before 4.4 and LvD launch.) that it had broke, hence everyone calling him a lair (which in this instance he was not, just had not tested it ingame beforehand.)....course that was short lived as soon as everyone found out about the heroic cred nerf.

Hopefully that explains it. :)

Oh, i know that, I've unlocked quite a few sets, but both Tulak Hord and Ceremonial Mystic still say 0/7 in my collection. Since both sets are quite expensive I don't really want to buy the missing parts to get the whole set, if the parts I have are invalid...

Thanks for the input, though.

That includes the 0/7 that's still showing up in my collection? It would be really annoying to buy these expensive missing parts to then just have the parts I got from the event not work when i equip everything...

Its a bug and they know about it and are working on fixing it. It used to be the way to unlock armor sets in collections is what it is now, but 4.0 changed that to having multiple pieces be unlocked on multiple characters, but somewhere between 4.1 and 4.4 it broke and it reverted to pre 4.0 collection unlocking requirements. (ie: what it is now is what it was before 4.0)

Just because we'll be able to buy the stuff at the pricing whims of other players on the GTN, in limited supply, doesn't change what this is. Never mind that being able to do that in the first place means other players need to go along with the money-grabbing nature of this by buying the packs.

Absolutely true imo but if anything this thread has shown that people will still buy these packs. The Gemini packs are selling really cheap compared to the last few packs. I bought 5 yesterday for 650k and I got some ok stuff.

If I wanted the stuff in the packs badly enough, then yeah, that'd be the ideal thing to do. I never wanted any of it that badly though. I'm just really disappointed about the message that this whole thing sends, ya know? :/

When the ideal solution is to basically work against the company, like it's some kind of elaborate business dance, that makes me sad.

Agreed it's sad and that's why I'm voting with my wallet. :(

Edited by squirrelballz

Sure. Cause introducing these a couple of weeks after the event started undermines the point of doing the event at all (getting what you wanted is Pay To Win now), the CM packs are of course BoE so they don't have that nasty BoP problem and make the headache-inducing BoP "nice gesture" reward packs look like even more of a sack of **** than they already were, and the complete lack of any announcement that they've found a way to fix the BoP issue with DvL event rewards just cements the idea that they did them as BoP to make people more pliable later to buy CM packs.

People are not "angry there's an option to buy vanity items." They're angry that they are being treated like ATM machines.

How are people being treated like ATM machines when the items being dispensed from the ATM is vanity money that has no actual value apart from looks?

What was the point of making the rewards packs BoP then ??

It's not like you would have lost money or it would have flooded the GTN since their quantity is limited...

And first you could have fixed the unlock. All items don't unlock in collections...

Because then people would sell the items on the GTN by playing the game and leveling characters up and doing content, and that only gets 29.99 each month.

Imo, they do NOT want the GTN flooded with rare stuff, with the drop rate low, it means people will sell for higher prices and higher prices mean people have the play the game to get credits to pay for things.

The items not unlocking in collections is a bug, they are working on a fix they say.

How are people being treated like ATM machines when the items being dispensed from the ATM is vanity money that has no actual value apart from looks?

The ATM machine, in this analogy, is not where the items come from. It's the people... who are the ATMs... because they are being asked to dispense money when BW wants to cash in... like an ATM.

Which... I know... I will be told... is optional purchase. And then I will spend several paragraphs talking about how that's not the point.

Where is a big shrugging emote when you need one.

Absolutely true imo but if anything this thread has shown that people will still buy these packs. The Gemini packs are selling really cheap compared to the last few packs. I bought 5 yesterday for 650k and I got some ok stuff.

Agreed it's sad and that's why I'm voting with my wallet. :(

Yeah, I don't doubt they will. :/ I mean, I guess that's a good thing in a way, but then it also says, "Go ahead, BW, do whatever. We'll still buy."

But yeah... I'm voting with my wallet too. Already planning that if I don't see any post today about a BoP change, I'm canceling my sub. If they want it, they will have to earn it back. No more good faith purchases from me.

I am confused with this, do you guys and gals at BW actually want people to be angry?

You got an event which is basically a re-hash of everything released since the game launched. While this is fantastic incentive for 'new' players to get into the game there is not a whole lot for the 'oldies' to be excited about.

The DvL packs is a cool idea, its something that pretty much all will play for. Myself included, i started a few new toons and was pretty happy to re-live some of the stories, use different dialogue choices and such.

So when i got my first lot of packs i was genuinely shocked that the packs were not BoL, not even the container that they come in?? giving the fact that most people will delete these toons after they have done what they needed to reach the next reward tier this decision was pretty stupid.

So on the developer stream, a lot of people was happy that BW was looking into this 'issue' and they would let us know soon. Now we get this announcement which seems a slap in the face. It seems painfully obvious that this was the plan all along.

I hope thats not the case, i hope that the DvL rewards are changed to BoL soon and that we get a nice post from Eric (hint, hint) to confirm this.

Just my thoughts, still enjoy this game. Made some cool friends through it and love my characters i have built up. Its just that stuff like this leaves a bad taste.

Enjoy SWTOR people :)

No idea. Sadly I am also confused with many choices they have made and the direction the game is heading.

Sadly because I have most everything from collections anyways, these boxes are a complete waste and...its sad because I like rewards and yet...it can even sell anything just...throw out. I wish they would have gone with a token system and let us the players choose which BoP rewards we wanted from a vendor, (same with the alliance crates) but the months and resently weeks I have stated this idea, I have only seen it from a couple of other players, which.....is sad that most people I guess like? the gamble boxes, because I don't. I mean if there was a never ending supply of them, ie: CoD AW and Overwatch, then I would be ok with them, because I will continue to get them, but to limit it to 80? *sigh*

And sadly I doubt they will change the boxes to BoL, Eric has already said they can't because of the unlocking system in the cartel market can not work with legacy bound items,(which some people have pointed out is almost BS (battleship:p) because of the striated black-purple crystals are legacy bound and unlockable in collections) hence why the HK helmet was BoL removed and replaced with a bound item that can now be unlocked in collections.

I have not opened any boxes and most likely wont till the last day before the event ends, in holding out hope they will change it. Either to BoE or a token system, but sadly....that's hoping for to much...which is a sad statement to make about a game I really want to love because of it being star wars, but.....*sigh* :(

That is exactly what all the evidence points to.

All The Best

I think the issue people had was armor sets and crystals not unlocking in collections? Which they have already fixed the crystals (Patch notes, but I think I still read somewhere that people were still having problems.) and the armor sets not unlocking is a more complicated bug that will take time, as it was changed in 4.0, but then somewhere between 4.1 and 4.4 it broke and reverted.

If they were addressing the BoP, I knew the rewards were going to be BoP to make sure people on the GTN didn't sell or buy anything of rarity.....unless they buy Hypercrates, they don't want people playing the game and farming accounts with this event and getting packs and then selling all the rare stuff on the GTN, but if you have 100 bucks and buy 3-4 Hypercrates, that's fine because 100 bucks was spent and not 29.99.

(This I know not for truth but sadly......I have not found evidence to the opposite. :()

Giving players who missed out on picking up the high-value armor sets before they ballooned up to 100 million credits a new chance to get them seems like a GOOD way to treat your customers. It's a lot like the gold armor packs.

If you don't want to pay dollars for them, wait 36 hours and pay credits.

Edit: added some left-out words.

Eh...have to disagree about the gold packs. The gold armor packs ONLY gave one ENTIRE gold tier armor set. These packs give a WIDE selection of items, speeders, armor pieces (not sets) decos, crystals. And NOT just gold items either, lots of silver ones drop also. Which is very sad. :(

The irony of you making it abundantly clear you have a narrative of your own to push, and then accusing him of pushing a narrative.

It hurts.

Dude... we all have a personal narrative here... you included.

His just happens to be easily invalidated by what I pointed out to him.

Edited by Andryah

Oh, you're just looking out for gambling addicts...

Suuuuuuuure.

You don't need to actually get the exact piece you want, when they're BOE. All you need is something that'll sell for a lot on the GTN, then you can sell it and buy the one you do want. It's not that hard and that makes it a LOT less random than you're making out. You don't need winning lotto numbers here.

Kinda do.....when the items you get to sell only sell for 50k-1 mil, and the ONE piece you need is 100+ (not entire sets, ONE piece.)

That is a massive assumption. Of course they would never share any kind of information like that with their customers. Unless the customer is also someone who works for them. I'm just saying ;)

It's not hard to do a back of the envelope estimate and come up with the range I just presented. ;)

Nobody has accurate bullseye data, but it's not rocket science to estimate a range for something like this. Especially given the number of players that hate the CM and state they will never buy CCs.

Are you going to claim every CC in the player base is purchased? :rolleyes: Because my point was exactly the opposite... and I provided some estimate of what the "free float" likely is.

Edited by Andryah

I'm not surprised, but I am glad since now I can pick up the rest of the sets I've got parts of off the GTN. Eventually.

I do not think this is a slap to the face, but I do think this was a cheap/profitable/easy/profitable/profitable solution to the whole BoP thing. This could help bring down some armor set/vanity item prices, which could -doubtfully- help reduce the sting of the Heroics Nerf, since stuff would be less expensive... Ish.

Well many people were interested in this event for packs... so why not to sell them outside of event?

Hell yeah! :cool: $$$$$

Yep. Definitely an option now.. for players interested in doing so. I won't, but I understand some players want to and will.

I really don't get the rage over this. Nobody is forced to buy them with CCs. You would think somebody just wiped everyone's accounts or something they way some people are acting about this.

I guess some have devolved to rage first, think afterwards.

Edited by Andryah

I'm ok with the decision. I like what it'll do to the rare armor and weapons market, making those items more affordable and available to the playerbase on the GTN.

I wish, and the people who have 500+ million say that the credit nerf (though Treasure Hunting was untouched) was a good thing. So....yes I hypothesis this should bring down prices.....but...I have seen the opposite (which I knew was going to happen anyways) and in fact things are rising instead. But....because there is a 2 day timer on the items....we will have to wait till Thursday and the weekend, if what you say is true...then I stand corrected. But I doubt because now that credits have been nerfed, people with 500+ million need another way of making credits. (Mind you...people have and will continue to play the GTN to make said credits and prices wont go down.)

Pack rewards are NOT the only point of doing the event. ;)

And.. nobody is making you pay for anything. Or did the studio send a crew of thugs to your home to force you to buy packs? :rolleyes:

I know why I am doing the event...but...what IS the point of the event then?

And no they didn't send anyone and no I never do since they removed the rep and tokens from them.

Edited by Lakemine

You don't need "hours a day" to make 15 million credits.

You don't? Care to elaborate? I assume we aren't talking about selling items on the GTN here as that required you to have something of value to begin with and how long did it take to obtain that to begin with?

I know why I am doing the event...but...what IS the point of the event then?

Go back and read an earlier post of mine... where I pointed out a number of reasons to Peter. No need for me to repeat it. ;)

Edited by Andryah

While I appreciate the ability in human beings to take the bad and find good in it, that's... well that's exactly what this is. Taking the bad and finding good in it.

These packs would have been universally welcomed, I guarantee, had they been released independent of the event, especially without being packs that are named after the event. As far as I can tell, people love opportunities to get old cartel items that are out of rotation. But this way of doing it is just bottom feeding.

BTW, I'm not meaning to target you with any of this. Just... decided to use your comment to say what I wanted to say. I thought I had seen transparent greed from game companies in the past. Boy was I wrong about that. Comparing this to other companies I've seen, those other companies were saints. How in the hell does EA ever expect to shed its sordid reputation this way?

Honestly, I'm just kind of reeling right now at how blatant it is. It's sort of like watching a guy try to shoplift in front of a cop. Like do they really think people don't see what they're doing? Do they think we're stupid or do they have no shame? Neither possibility gives me the slightest bit of faith in them.

It is very sad. :( As I love star wars and want to love this game but....*sigh* very sad indeed. :(

And....to make you even more sad and mad....we have to live through 10 years of ONLY EA making star wars games. :p:eek::mad:

You don't? Care to elaborate? I assume we aren't talking about selling items on the GTN here as that required you to have something of value to begin with and how long did it take to obtain that to begin with?

Oh Menace.. you and I both know that 30 minutes a day grooming the GTN for buys and sells = millions for us. :)

Of course you start small, but within a month.... you are a player in the market, unless one is clueless how to go about it.

Can someone remind me why people are angry there's an option to buy vanity items? Surely with this much SHOCK AND HORROR from the mortified fan base base no one will buy these packs, right? Personally, I can't wait to get home and buy several hypercrates worth of DvL goodness.

I don't think the anger is around them selling the items. The anger is from the rewards being BoP from the event as opposed to BoL ( meaning if you got all 3 armour parts on any toons you could unlocks it in collections or even if you didn't want to unlock you could send bits to anyone you wanted ) - it seems this was done on purpose to leave people short changed into wanting/needing the left over items and now having a solution that just so happens to cost real money.

Again it is what it is and I don't care about that but the way they seem to have lied about the whole bit where the items HAD to be BoP or wouldn't unlock is now super far fetched.

At the least they could have made the packs BoL and the item BoP but they never addressed that convenient flaw in their lies.

I don't think the anger is around them selling the items. The anger is from the rewards being BoP from the event as opposed to BoL ( meaning if you got all 3 armour parts on any toons you could unlocks it in collections or even if you didn't want to unlock you could send bits to anyone you wanted ) - it seems this was done on purpose to leave people short changed into wanting/needing the left over items and now having a solution that just so happens to cost real money.

Again it is what it is and I don't care about that but the way they seem to have lied about the whole bit where the items HAD to be BoP or wouldn't unlock is now super far fetched.

At the least they could have made the packs BoL and the item BoP but they never addressed that convenient flaw in their lies.

In other words... it's become run-on anger over anything and everything the studio does regarding this event.

I don't see where they lied to any of us in this context. It's just that some people want something different then what is being offered.

Edited by Andryah