Dark Vs. Light Packs in the Cartel Market

EricMusco

Giving players who missed out on picking up the high-value armor sets before they ballooned up to 100 million credits a new chance to get them seems like a GOOD way to treat your customers. It's a lot like the gold armor packs.

If you don't want to pay dollars for them, wait 36 hours and pay credits.

Edit: added some left-out words.

it's not like the gold armor packs at all... it's like any other pack. From the LvD event I've gotten plenty of trash items; common crystals from still-available packs that are dirt cheap on the GTN, a speeder (2x) that looks awful and is worth even less.

The only good thing about this is that maybe it will be easier to get the missing parts once this event blows over... but I'm fairly certain a LOT of people who were planning to push to complete the event (for the packs) just decided to stop.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. A lot of the veteran players definitely called this one and the animosity it would cause many of the newer players when it did. I'm reading a lot of the same arguments we've been giving BW for quite a while now. I guess all we can say is welcome to the club, guys. It's still a fun game to play, especially if you're fortunate to hook up with a good guild. However, this has become the S.O.P. for many of the "unique" rewards, mounts, and armors you get from doing some of the special events and such. One of the main reasons many folks haven't bothered with the DvL Event...we knew we'd be able to get the stuff later on the CM. So, why bother re-grinding stuff we'd already done so many times before, you know? I mean, it's definitely geared towards newer players. I didn't think they'd release the stuff on the CM until after the Event was over, though. I'm curious to see the stats of how many people continue doing stuff for the DvL Event in the coming months now.

Oh, you're just looking out for gambling addicts...

Suuuuuuuure.

You don't need to actually get the exact piece you want, when they're BOE. All you need is something that'll sell for a lot on the GTN, then you can sell it and buy the one you do want. It's not that hard and that makes it a LOT less random than you're making out. You don't need winning lotto numbers here.

Wow, you're like a super duper ultra defender of this decision huh? Maybe read through the entire thread. People are becoming more and more fed up spending money, by the way which is ON TOP of their monthly SUBSCRIPTION, in order to get anything out of this game.

I just picked up a couple of these to check things out. Way better deal because the items are not bound (after countdown). But, as for what's inside... meh.

I'm definitely not going to be going out of my way to participate in the event for this stuff. If I get some through normal gameplay then that's a bonus.

Wow, you're like a super duper ultra defender of this decision huh? Maybe read through the entire thread. People are becoming more and more fed up spending money, by the way which is ON TOP of their monthly SUBSCRIPTION, in order to get anything out of this game.

This because they need make up for all the F2P players. F2P players who can't sub, don't buy cc and/or packs on a regularly basis. Its us subs who usually by items with rl cash.

I'm ok with the decision. I like what it'll do to the rare armor and weapons market, making those items more affordable and available to the playerbase on the GTN.

Edited by Caelrie

I'm ok with the decision. I like what it'll do to the rare armor and weapons market, making those items more affordable and available to the playerbase on the GTN.

yup at 25-100 mil per kids, people gross overpriced items regardless.

yup at 25-100 mil per kids, people gross overpriced items regardless.

Do you remember what happened when the gold armor boxes came back? Sets like Revan Reborn dropped from 50 million to 15 million in a week and stayed there until a while after the boxes were gone.

How is that not a good thing for everyone?

That is most definitely one of the positive things about those packs. I'm not saying that there are not some negative implications behind this move, but making old and rare sets more accessible to new players is not that bad.

Where is the downvote button...?

This not only now devalues like... THE ONLY POINT OF DOING THE EVENT, but proves your greed Bioware. Seriously, instead of giving players drop packs BOL or even to be sold on the GTN, you make us PAY FOR IT. This helps no one besides whales. Garbage announcement, idea, and implementation.

Pack rewards are NOT the only point of doing the event. ;)

And.. nobody is making you pay for anything. Or did the studio send a crew of thugs to your home to force you to buy packs? :rolleyes:

That is most definitely one of the positive things about those packs. I'm not saying that there are not some negative implications behind this move, but making old and rare sets more accessible to new players is not that bad.

While I appreciate the ability in human beings to take the bad and find good in it, that's... well that's exactly what this is. Taking the bad and finding good in it.

These packs would have been universally welcomed, I guarantee, had they been released independent of the event, especially without being packs that are named after the event. As far as I can tell, people love opportunities to get old cartel items that are out of rotation. But this way of doing it is just bottom feeding.

BTW, I'm not meaning to target you with any of this. Just... decided to use your comment to say what I wanted to say. I thought I had seen transparent greed from game companies in the past. Boy was I wrong about that. Comparing this to other companies I've seen, those other companies were saints. How in the hell does EA ever expect to shed its sordid reputation this way?

Honestly, I'm just kind of reeling right now at how blatant it is. It's sort of like watching a guy try to shoplift in front of a cop. Like do they really think people don't see what they're doing? Do they think we're stupid or do they have no shame? Neither possibility gives me the slightest bit of faith in them.

/Agree... for those that like playing /RNG with the packs. I don't, but I respect that some players do.

These are essentially Grand Chance Cubes IMO in terms of what they drop.

Edited by Andryah

Do you remember what happened when the gold armor boxes came back? Sets like Revan Reborn dropped from 50 million to 15 million in a week and stayed there until a while after the boxes were gone.

15 mil is still overpriced. I am a sub vet yet don't spend hours a day on a video game to have 100s of million in monopoly money. as most players. Therefore stuff usually sits on the GTN and don't move the economy.

Pack rewards are NOT the only point of doing the event. ;)

And.. nobody is making you pay for anything. Or did the studio send a crew of thugs to your home to force you to buy packs? :rolleyes:

Pack rewards for veteran players are the only incentive to do the event, unless you're a achievement hunter or completionist.

I had a bad vibe about putting in the word "making" and such ... but if we want the proper rewards then were forced with no other than for someone to cough up CC to get the rest of the set.

While I appreciate the ability in human beings to take the bad and find good in it, that's... well that's exactly what this is. Taking the bad and finding good in it.

You don't need to argue with me. This was exactly the intention behind it. There are some good and some very bad implications behind this move. I would just love for people to stop trying to take the good and make it sound bad. There is enough about this move that can be criticised and discussed ad nauseam, but making old armour sets available to players, no matter how, is not a bad thing. It's kind of a "Well, I guess there is something positive about it." deal.

For starters, somebody at some point paid real money for the item, so no matter what this leads to money in Bioware's pockets.

Not if they used CCs from their sub stipend or from referrals. ;)

Probably about 25-30% or the CCs floating in the player base were never directly purchases with real money.

Good grief, I think I'm done with this game after the last episode of season 1.

Never, in any MMO, a long-time customer was treated worse than dirt - not even in most hardcore f2p models...

So very, very upset :(

Pack rewards for veteran players are the only incentive to do the event, unless you're a achievement hunter or completionist.

IMO.. if you are running the event simply for the random packs.. you are wasting your time.

People do run the event for many reasons... to get a companion, to simply add to the light dark competition, to get the XP buff armor.. to get the other rewards offered at each tier. It's not just compeltionists and pack hunters. I understand that is not convenient for the narrative you wish to press.. but it happens to be true.

Edited by Andryah

You don't need to argue with me. This was exactly the intention behind it. There are some good and some very bad implications behind this move. I would just love for people to stop trying to take the good and make it sound bad. There is enough about this move that can be criticised and discussed ad nauseam, but making old armour sets available to players, no matter how, is not a bad thing. It's kind of a "Well, I guess there is something positive about it." deal.

I can dig that. Like I said, I wasn't meaning to unload on you. Just used your comment as a springboard, really.

Hahahaha ... this is gold.

Way to make yourself look even less honest and trustworthy Eric.

I had a strong suspicion you were talking crap around the limitations of having the items in the event packs BoP as opposed to any BoL system.

It wasn't due to any limitation, it was due to you knowing these pay packs were coming and if you had of made the previous items or packs BoL it would have impacted on projected sales.

In other words folks the BoP was put in place to ensure many players wouldn't have full sets to unlock and would resort to either CM purchases or the GTN to get the rest - the GTN relies on someone having used real money at some point so the bigger GTN demand for items the more likely people are to buy the items to sell on the GTN to make credits.

Whilst I get it may not have been your idea to basically lie to your community ( though it more than likely was ) you are still the one who did so.

Of course Bioware could prove me wrong here and put in a change to address the BoL issue that is undermining the event. I would love for that to happen in fact but I personally doubt it will.

IMO.. if you are running the event simply for the random packs.. you are wasting your time.

People do run the event for many reasons... to get a companion, to simply add to the light dark competition, to get the XP buff armor.. to get the other rewards offered at each tier. It's not just compeltionists and pack hunters. I understand that is not convenient for the narrative you wish to press.. but it happens to be true.

The irony of you making it abundantly clear you have a narrative of your own to push, and then accusing him of pushing a narrative.

It hurts.

I agree there are benefits to this and I'll cash in on them to over price things in the future ( as I've the credits to do so and it's what I like to do in this game ).

\My main issue is with the BoP release of items as rewards as though it were a technical hitch. I had thought it just a poorly thought out plan they had neglected and they didn't want to admit that but I think the truth is fairly obvious now ( of course can't be proven ).

It's not even the BoP that's the issue really ... it's the ******** they continually spread.

Some people say they would prefer some communication as opposed to no communication well when it comes to some of the perceived lies they keep making on issues within the game like this I would prefer no communication.

Good grief, I think I'm done with this game after the last episode of season 1.

Never, in any MMO, a long-time customer was treated worse than dirt - not even in most hardcore f2p models...

So very, very upset :(

Agreed, it's almost like they detest their customers. Like they literally hate the people who are paying to play this game.