To KOTFE Writers: Bowdaar--HUGE Disappointment (SPOILERS!)

MaryEO

CAUTION: This whole post could be a spoiler if you haven’t played the smuggler all the way through or done the KOTFE (FE) Bowdaar quest.

So I did the Bowdaar quest on my main character (smuggler) last night. It was all right except for one thing, and I must say that this is the first time I have felt horribly disappointed in KOTFE. I know people complain about this and that with it, but it’s mostly an immersive, entertaining story.

Speaking of immersive, that is how I play, that’s where the most fun is. It’s the story that engages me most, and some of these chapters put me through the wringer they were so well done.

So my girl goes to talk to Bowdaar and she DOESN’T ASK HIM ABOUT THE REST OF HER CREW?! (Corso most particularly since she married him, has been committed to him to the point when she dies, she wants it to be in his arms.)

Come on, writers! What’s wrong with you? You couldn’t put one little question in there? Like “Where did everybody go?” (My heart would have it that the first thing she’d ask is “Where’s Corso?” but then they’d have had to make it even more specific, so I can grant them leeway not doing that.) But NOTHING? Just one option of saying she’d been thinking of all of them. That’s ridiculous. I don’t care if it’s been months for her, she’s not fickle and love doesn’t just dry up while there’s hope, even when there is no hope. She’d want to know what he knew. She’d really want to know everything that happened after she was taken. But just like the mysterious reappearance of her ship, no explanation is expected about those details. But believe me, she’d want to know all of it.

So all the writers had to do is put that question in—where did they go? Bowdaar doesn’t have to know. How difficult would it have been to have him say he didn’t know? It’s not like they were paying a voice actor for an extra line.

So disappointing! And this whole thing could apply to any of the classes where they’re meeting up with one of their old crew. My male smuggler would be the same way about Akaavi, my knight about Doc, even though I’ve not taken either into FE. Even my trooper, who I have played FE with, didn’t get satisfaction out of any of her old crew about Aric, but she would have the luxury of assuming that they were all reassigned by military superiors—not so the other classes. (At least her reunion with Aric was nice, so good job on that, writers.)

Even if you didn’t romance one of the companions, there was probably somebody on the crew you’d want to see again and ask about. How could you make the story so engaging, then just drop the ball, writers? I know a lot of people (myself included) have found it frustrating that once the characters became involved, married, etc., no further evidence of that was ever offered in regular game play.

Again, so disappointed! The biggest fail in FE so far for me. You want me to be engaged by this, writers, stop forgetting one of the main things that made it so enjoyable in the first place.

Try being an imperial agent, who romanced Vector Hyllus, and talk to Doctor Lokin on Alderaan in kotfe. -.-

How could agent NOT askin Lokin about Vector?

Same for Lt. Pierce as sith warrior.

I dont understand why they cant simply put the option to ask, where our former companions are. As you´ve said yourself, the ones we ask DONT have to know. But the interaction should be there regardless.

You definetely have my vote on this!

retrograde amnesia caused by the imperfect carbonite freezing process (as referenced by valkorian). Actually, would be logical because that is often an affect of anesthesia (perhaps a few hours worth of events immediately before it was administered, etc.) which I suppose would be fairly similar to carbonite freezing. Edited by DrewFromPhilly

...that is just weird...someone on the PTS mentioned a possible false flag for a romance with Akaavi [with a male smuggler] when talking to Bowdaar, so I assumed that the smuggler would generally be able to talk with Bowdaar about their crew.

Could it be a bug? Like the Knight's line when first meeting Kaliyo in Chapter Ten; they mentioned they had met her once, but the line was initially removed due to a glitch.

Edit: ...aaaand now I feel like an idiot. I'm not sure if the person mentioned above was specifically talking about Bowdaar when meeting him again in Fallen Empire, or just regular conversation. .-. So. Disregard my post. Sorry.

Edited by Jagaimee

Where have you been? how are you? Where is my husband? wife? kids? dog?

This should be a convo option on any former companions you meet after five years AWOL.

Fundamental.

I've said the writing was poor before, but they almost got it back with this last chapter- only to miss the Bantha in the room - all hot-lipped and slobbering over the telly.:rak_02:

I did not mean any exclusion of Imperial classes in my original post. This would apply to them as well. And I wondered how this kind of thing had gone with the other classes who've had the opportunity to talk with former crew. Was so focused on my smuggler that I never thought about it. My sympathies to all the players frustrated by this.

I did not mean any exclusion of Imperial classes in my original post. This would apply to them as well. And I wondered how this kind of thing had gone with the other classes who've had the opportunity to talk with former crew. Was so focused on my smuggler that I never thought about it. My sympathies to all the players frustrated by this.

Well, the funny part about female sith warrior (who has romanced Quinn) meeting Lt. Pierce is, that Pierce actually mentions Quinn. He says, that the post he currently has would be something more for Quinn than for him. Yet, you cant ask "So, have you heard about Quinn recently?" :D

It almost feels like dev are laughing at us.

theres a line where you causally mention the love interest, Like wanting to have kids with Akaavi and raise them til their old enough to wield blasters, which is about 3 months for a mandalorian,'

I am kinda sad Akaavi inst in the next chapter.

You actually can talk about Corso to Bowdaar and get a brief response, but the conversation option is not obvious. I'll have to dig out my fraps video if you want the actual lines, but it's the part where Bowdaar says something about how after all his adventures with you, he found that he was craving the simple life for a change. You can respond with something like (going from memory here), "Yeah, I could see settling on Dantooine while my farmboy works the lands, sans shirt of course." Then Bowdaar replies about how Corso was devastated when he lost you and cried on Bowdaar's shoulder for months. It was really sweet. Although I wish I could have been like, "Soooo...where's Corso now??" But I couldn't. :(

You actually can talk about Corso to Bowdaar and get a brief response, but the conversation option is not obvious. I'll have to dig out my fraps video if you want the actual lines, but it's the part where Bowdaar says something about how after all his adventures with you, he found that he was craving the simple life for a change. You can respond with something like (going from memory here), "Yeah, I could see settling on Dantooine while my farmboy works the lands, sans shirt of course." Then Bowdaar replies about how Corso was devastated when he lost you and cried on Bowdaar's shoulder for months. It was really sweet. Although I wish I could have been like, "Soooo...where's Corso now??" But I couldn't. :(

OMG! I missed that completely because I didn't choose that dialogue option. I remember something about living on Dantooine but stupidly didn't read it well enough to see the reference to farm boy. The choice made me think she was saying do it alone, so I thought, no way would she do that without him. I'm sick, literally sick now. But thank you for sharing. I'll just put it in my head that Bowdaar told her that later!

Meanwhile, I'll go watch my fraps of it and see what I missed. I actually did try to find if someone had done this already so I could have some guidance, but nobody was talking. :(

Yes! ...as long as your smuggler/jedi/sith/everybody made the same choices as bioware's outlander omniclass

No kidding -- the whole "you ARE playing THE Outlander" omniclass one-size-fits-none thing would be the worst part of KotFE, if not for the central and unavoidable role played by Viti-korian-Sue.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

I was actually very pleased, when my Smuggler discussed Akaavi with Bowdarr -- he actually mentions a desire for family with her. It was very sweet, even as amusing a fashion my Smuggler offered it. But he's just cute like that, so I was happy overall.

So I went back to see what the dialogue choice was and see why I didn't choose it. It said something like "putting my little farm-hand out to pasture, sans shirt of course." My take was she doesn't have Corso, who is she talking about? Replacing him with some boy-toy? That's why I didn't pick it. I should have known the writers would handle such a thing in a flip manner, when it's anything but flippant to her. After the vows they made, she would not be flip. If they'd added something to the effect that she wished she could do that with Corso, sure. Instead it was vague and puzzling. "Out to pasture?" That's almost like she's getting rid of him. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to be prepared to escape out of any future such scenes to see what all the choices bring. :/

Also, after Bowdaar tells her what you said, how could the writers not think she'd ask where Corso is? Sheesh.

Edited by MaryEO

retrograde amnesia caused by the imperfect carbonite freezing process (as referenced by valkorian). Actually, would be logical because that is often an affect of anesthesia (perhaps a few hours worth of events immediately before it was administered, etc.) which I suppose would be fairly similar to carbonite freezing.

I think that they're planning on killing off all Love Interests other than Theron and Lana so they're downplaying the old ones before they kill them.

Probably in Chapter XVI Torian/Kaliyo/Jorgan will die - unless you killed them already, but if you were married to them then that's cold even by my standards - and it will give us another reason to hate Zan and Jayna- I mean Arcann and Vaylin.

So I went back to see what the dialogue choice was and see why I didn't choose it. It said something like "putting my little farm-hand out to pasture, sans shirt of course." My take was she doesn't have Corso, who is she talking about? Replacing him with some boy-toy? That's why I didn't pick it.

I know. It was a little too subtle. The reference to "farm hand" made me wonder if she was talking about Corso, so I picked it to see what it was all about. I feel like i got lucky.

I think that they're planning on killing off all Love Interests other than Theron and Lana so they're downplaying the old ones before they kill them.

Probably in Chapter XVI Torian/Kaliyo/Jorgan will die - unless you killed them already, but if you were married to them then that's cold even by my standards - and it will give us another reason to hate Zan and Jayna- I mean Arcann and Vaylin.

Yeah... they start killing off companions wholesale, they'll have a riot on their hands, with the way more than a few players are attached to the comps. I don't think that's what Bioware really wants.