Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

Look at it this way....

If the game shuts down it will create an opportunity for somehing else to be created, with the Star Wars name to back it up.

If the game does not shut down - you have nothing to worry about, as even with the current low populated servers which slowly but certanly seems to be TRE as well heading in that direction it will not matter since you will be playing and paying for a single player game.

Might be 15$ or more, depending on how much you want the bait, that is the rewards continuous subs "might" be offered.

Either way, plenty of fish in the sea, the threads title is missleading on both counts.

The game is still alive and kicking, and there are still options on where to "go", even if you do not think of changing servers but leaving the game for an extended period of time. :jawa_biggrin:

Toodles, see you all again...maybe. :jawa_cool:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game as the OP stated is dying.

Simple math.

When game was at it's peak, there were literally 30 plus servers.

Now look at the number. 8 in the US.

Rarely are they into Heavy, even Harbinger.

They spike when a star wars event happens, like a movie, or some

trailers, ect.

The end is not near however, as MMO's rarely die quickly. A long slow death.

Like SWG lasted 8 years, the last 2 being awesome, but only a few servers going

strong at the end. I was on Starsider, my guild, ATW, being Top Guild enough, for GM's

to throw an event at our guild city on last night of SWG.

We have at least another year or 2 left. There has been too much money spent for

them to give up so soon.

214+ servers actually...and even Harbinger never reaches "Heavy" these days.

They physically added more hardware. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8565724#edit8565724

As for torstatus... you memory fails you here. There were servers literally showing full capacity the week of 10/21. SEE: http://www.torstatus.net/the-harbinger/history/1y. The following week, post upgrade of servers, I don't believe we had any full servers from that point on.... but some were pretty frequently "Heavy". We also stopped having server crashes and other squirrelly behaviors. As for torstatus... the game showed pretty stable and heavy activity through January of 2016, then began to slowly taper off (like after every other expac, except this one lasted a couple months longer before decline.... probably due to the popularity of the movie released last December). We did see a short dip in the second half of November, then the movie dropped and we got an unusual surge through December and January.

Ah, so they did say they upgraded, that one little post I didn't remember. Also, thanks for showing how to do Torstatus history. However, by that link you posted, populations were starting to go down before the upgrade and the graphs continue to show a decline. There is no sharp decrease as you'd expect from changing how many people make up light/standard and so on.

Also, as a current observation using torstatus, in the past 7 days, neither Jedi Covenant nor Shadowlands left light status. I think this is the first time that's happened to both. Both used to hit standard during prime time on weekends.

Ah, so they did say they upgraded, that one little post I didn't remember. Also, thanks for showing how to do Torstatus history. However, by that link you posted, populations were starting to go down before the upgrade and the graphs continue to show a decline. There is no sharp decrease as you'd expect from changing how many people make up light/standard and so on.

Also, as a current observation using torstatus, in the past 7 days, neither Jedi Covenant nor Shadowlands left light status. I think this is the first time that's happened to both. Both used to hit standard during prime time on weekends.

He's just trying to beat a dead horse. He can't escape from the facts, no matter how hard he tries.

214+ servers actually...and even Harbinger never reaches "Heavy" these days.

wow 214 severs??? Well, im not a mathematical genius, but if you go from 214 servers to 8 in 5 years then thats called a decline and decline in an MMO means death!

But yes, if I login on to TRE there are hundreds of people there to do stuff with, you can do PVP, gf OPS, maybe even solo ranked, maybe even GSF, HM fps pops when i que as tank or healer and there are still some raiders left in the raider channel to pug some stuff like ToS HM or some NiMs.

I even got people to do base defence kills on Makeb, which i really wasnt hoping for to get.

Look at it this way....

If the game shuts down it will create an opportunity for somehing else to be created, with the Star Wars name to back it up.

If the game does not shut down - you have nothing to worry about, as even with the current low populated servers which slowly but certanly seems to be TRE as well heading in that direction it will not matter since you will be playing and paying for a single player game.

Might be 15$ or more, depending on how much you want the bait, that is the rewards continuous subs "might" be offered.

Either way, plenty of fish in the sea, the threads title is missleading on both counts.

The game is still alive and kicking, and there are still options on where to "go", even if you do not think of changing servers but leaving the game for an extended period of time. :jawa_biggrin:

Toodles, see you all again...maybe. :jawa_cool:

EA doesn't have exclusive rights to Star Wars anymore?

oh rrright... because blizz makes such great games... zzz.. blizz is just copying ideas from others and turning good games into games with no challenges, no ty it would be 10x worse than it is

i think few main company's would actually want the rights, Daybreak probably wouldn't touch it, the only one that might have a sporting chance would be NCSoft. and i bet Arenanet wouldn't touch it either. outside those company's i am not sure. everything else is going the way of the Mobile. it would probably do best if Disney themselves create it. But..... :eek:

oh rrright... because blizz makes such great games... zzz.. blizz is just copying ideas from others and turning good games into games with no challenges, no ty it would be 10x worse than it is

OK and whom would you suggest? I started playing WoW and its great so far.

wow 214 severs??? Well, im not a mathematical genius, but if you go from 214 servers to 8 in 5 years then thats called a decline and decline in an MMO means death!
8 is being generous too lol. I know that there are physically still 8 NA servers, but there are only 2 with any sign of life. Hell, outta the 17 remaining, only 4 of them show activity.

Those same servers also spiked fairly well when DvL went live, and before the last chapter dropped. More then I personally would have expected to be honest.. so clearly more people were actively working the DvL event then the negative narrative in the forum would want us to believe. Now, people have done the last chapter, and most have likely moved as far through DvL as they intend to..... so naturally, people play less until the next expac. Keep in mind also... torstatus can only tell us so much... since Light does not show any differentiation between say an old PvP server vs a current PvE server. LIGHT, per se, is not bad, but some LIGHT servers are in fact pretty well empty. We simply have no granularity on LIGHT.

We are at the ebb point on 4.0 right now, so you really cannot tell anything other then people have played out all of 4.0, and the DvL, and are now waiting for 5.0.

Wait until the expac drops. We will see another cycle of heavy play activity for a few months, followed by a slow fall off from there... just like every year.

The falloff was quicker after 3.0, likely because of how badly 3.0 was deployed and how badly they handled bugs, or did not handle them at all. 4.0 player activities were strong until early February, when they fell off rather sharply by end of February, and then a slow drain from then on.

As players, we like to measure game success by how many players are on line at the same time. However, that is only one factor for the studio. The other factor for the studio though is how many subs are current, and how many people log in each day. We as players cannot actually see these measures as we do not have the data and analytics to see. Of course if this game had been originally designed with a mega server approach, nobody would care, except for the fact that no mega server could have possibly handled all the players at launch. At that time, a mega server would have been a disaster. It's probably too much effort to convert server formats now though.. so it will be interesting to see how they address things if some of the servers never repopulate (the old PvP servers).

As players, some are dependent on massive populations inside an MMO ( as evidenced by the original theme of this thread) and some are not. Those that are, tend to be players who require random grouping and therefore need players to group with and to play against (in the case of PvP). Each person must assess this for themselves, and avoid sweeping generalizations IMO.

Edited by Andryah

There entire MMO industry is shrinking.

This part is very true, and it means there will be some nasty shakeouts coming in the market.... most likely affecting smaller MMO titles. However, the single biggest contributor to losses is actually WoW, which past it's peak years ago, and now sees wide swings in population around expacs like every other MMO now days.

The web site that used to track population numbers of MMOs for years finally stopped a few years back, primarily because of two factors: 1) MMOs moving to non-sub or flex-access models, and as such simply stopped reporting populations numbers at all. 2) MMOs in general being more secretive about their actual sub base or total customer base, coupled with many different business models muddying what numbers actually mean. At the time he retired his tracking website, he estimated that the total available player base in MMOs had shrunk by 20-30% from it's peak in 2010.

We are at the ebb point on 4.0 right now, so you really cannot tell anything other then people have played out all of 4.0, and the DvL, and are now waiting for 5.0.

Wait until the expac drops. We will see another cycle of heavy play activity for a few months, followed by a slow fall off from there... just like every year.

I love the excuses...back during the spring exodus, the season change was attributed to the "ebb". Now it's being blamed on the expansion ending/starting...

The falloff was quicker after 3.0, likely because of how badly 3.0 was deployed and how badly they handled bugs, or did not handle them at all. 4.0 player activities were strong until early February, when they fell off rather sharply by end of February, and then a slow drain from then on.

I don't believe this for a second. The loss of players after 3.0 was slow...steady, but slow.

As players, we like to measure game success by how many players are on line at the same time. However, that is only one factor for the studio. The other factor for the studio though is how many subs are current, and how many people log in each day. We as players cannot actually see these measures as we do not have the data and analytics to see.

And 99% of us don't need to see analytics to realize the game is hurting and there are fewer and fewer people playing it.

I started playing WoW and its great so far.

Ofc, my guild moved to WoW, so I moved too, but to be honest I dont like WoW. Yes its far more better in many aspects of gameplay, you have sooooo many things that swtor simply misses, but its not swtor, its 14 years old, cartoon graphics etc.

source: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9056140&postcount=77

Confusing, to say the least. Which is it? I ask because in a forum, all we have are your words.

Your second post I quoted, actually feels more honest... your guild left for WoW and they pulled you along.

Now, I get that there are things about SWTOR you don't like. Welcome to the club. I doubt any of us feel the game is perfect, or even close to perfect. Then again, I have never seen an MMO that did not have things that I don't like. The difference being, I don't complain about game design that is presented... I either play it or I don't. SWTOR botched 3.0 so badly, that I left for a while and took a break. 4.0 was much better handled, IMO, but they still had issues with companions in particular but at least they did not repeat the absurd handling that they did in 3.0.

Edited by Andryah

• 1 month later...

I have returned (like I said I would) because the talk on the streets is that bioware is finally going to address the dead servers (which is most of them).

I am going to sit back and see what is going to be done since they wont give specifics. If it is something that I believe will fix the slow or in some cases depending on what server your stuck on, no queue pop situation plaguing this game then I will remain a paying subscriber.

I held up to my word and said I will not post any longer until bioware acknowledged that there is a serious population problem with this game and promised to address it. Both of those have recently been fulfilled so here I am in hopes I can once again support this game.

I held up to my end of the bargain bioware, will you? I hope so.

I have returned (like I said I would) because the talk on the streets is that bioware is finally going to address the dead servers (which is most of them).

I held up to my word and said I will not post any longer until bioware acknowledged that there is a serious population problem with this game and promised to address it. Both of those have recently been fulfilled so here I am in hopes I can once again support this game.

lol You joke right??

BW did come out & state something about the servers. This right here: http://dulfy.net/2016/10/17/swtor-galactic-command-overview-livestream-notes/ (Near bottom of article.)

Paraphrased below, but same message.

Everythings fine, "lots of new players are joining the game, and they don't really want people to have queues"

"A lot of the servers will start to feel really full soon". "No plans for it right now"

- Ben, from the live stream.

Your "talk on the street" is severely incorrect & several weeks late on their rumor mill spin.

I am going to sit back and see what is going to be done since they wont give specifics. If it is something that I believe will fix the slow or in some cases depending on what server your stuck on, no queue pop situation plaguing this game then I will remain a paying subscriber.

Really you had to bring this thread back to life based purely on rumors? BW has done nothing or said nothing to give any hope at all that servers will be balanced.

Really you had to bring this thread back to life based purely on rumors? BW has done nothing or said nothing to give any hope at all that servers will be balanced.

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

That is what someone sent me. Is this wrong?

That is what someone sent me. Is this wrong?

This is the date from that post "12.15.2014 , 08:24 PM | " here's the link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7879116

This is the most recent thing they said about server merges on live stream already posted just a couple responses above. 'No server merges right now with all the players flooding back into the game. No plans for server merges this year, will see how it is next year to either server merge or character transfers.

Edit: It looks like someone revived that thread in the middle of October, and people just kept posting on it. Understandable to be miscommunicated.

Edited by Krazhez

This is the date from that post "12.15.2014 , 08:24 PM | " here's the link http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7879116

This is the most recent thing they said about server merges on live stream already posted just a couple responses above. 'No server merges right now with all the players flooding back into the game. No plans for server merges this year, will see how it is next year to either server merge or character transfers.

Edit: It looks like someone revived that thread in the middle of October, and people just kept posting on it. Understandable to be miscommunicated.

Really he resubbed for KotET story and is trying to justify it as some sort of messianic return to the game on his behalf.

That or he really did sub for a post created long before he made this thread and well if so ... embarrassing much?