IMO Patch 4.0.2 = realy OK & nerfing comps = fully justified

EurythmyX

Any critics of patch 4.0.2 i do not understand. I played heroics etc. & all works pleasant & fine. Before, with the immense strong comps at first it was fun, but after a while one gets to think: is there still some fighting for me to do since my comp defeats them all & so very fast:)

So, I do not understand the vocal minority critics on the forum: sometimes I even wondered: "are we talking about the same game here?:)

I guess same critics if possible would even ask George Lucas to rewrite "Episode IV: A New Hope" and this time let Luke Skywalker SOLOING & defeating Darth Vader with just some training sabre after some 30 minutes practice, so those critics could "enjoy' it all in say a 30 mins lunch-break??:D

The great majority of the player-base (99,9999%) hardly comment in forums. Why is that? Because they prefer investing their time in playing & enjoying they game. And I am one of them. No doubt BW has done a good job with patch 4.0.2. It enriches the game even more with sheer endless possibilities & combinations to make.

And about those so-called 'expert-critics' on the forums: hell, I image they would even critisize the forthcoming Star Wars movie "The Force Awakens", even before having seen the movie with their own eyes? :)

Edited by EurythmyX
typing error

Any critics of patch 4.0.2 i do not understand. I played heroics etc. & all works pleasant & fine. Before, with the immense strong comps at first it was fun, but after a while one gets to think: is there still some fighting for me to do since my comp defeats them all & fo very fast:)

So, I do not understand the vocal minoroty critics on the forum: sometimes I even wondered: "are we talking about the same game here?:)

I guess same critics if possible would ask George Lucas to rewrite "Episode IV: A New Hope" and this time let Luke Skywalker SOLO & defeat Darth Vader with just some traing sabre after some 30 minutes practice, so those critics could "enjoy' it all in say a 30 mins lunch-break??:D

The great majaority of the player-base (99,9999%) hardly comment in forms. Why is that? Because they prefer investing their time in playing & enjoying they game. And I am one of them. No doubt BW has done a good job with patch 4.0.2. It enriches the game even more with sheer endless possibilities & combinations to make.

And about those so-called 'expert-critics' on the forums: hell, I image they would even critisize the forthcoming Star Wars movie "The Force Awakens", even before having seen the movie with their own eyes? :)

Why are you on here complaining on forums instead of in game if you enjoy it so much.

So, I do not understand the vocal minoroty critics on the forum

I see you are trying to play it down there. What makes you think that such a huge outpouring of complaints is a minority?

If that's how you judge things than clearly your whole assesment of the game is, at best, questionable and, at worst, just fricking mistaken... Which is it? You like to generalise so, I'm all ears....

Edited by SPAMBAM

I see you are trying to play it down there? What makes you think that such a huge outpouring of complaints is a minority?

If that's how you judge things than clearly your whole assesment of the game is, at best, questionable and, at worst, just fricking mistaken... Which is it? You like to generalise so, I'm all ears....

I wouldn't exactly call 20-30 people a huge anything, unless it's the number of people you're trying to carpool with.

There have been studies done with major MMO's like WOW/EQ2 about Forum participation. I believe WOW found that on average, less than 5% of your player base actually even knows the game has a Forum, let alone uses it.

EQ2 found similar results. The forums, are a small, REALLY small fraction of the player base. So either way, both sides of this argument (pro nerf, not pro nerf) are neither the majority, or even the average player, to be honest.

Edited by jakeobione

That's nice you're happy but as you don't give any information about what you did, not sure your opinions is that usefull as is.

I mean:

what class and spec

what level

what gear

which companion, in which stance, what influence rank ?

which heroics ? you did 3 ? 10 ? the 70+ we can do ? if you did only some, which on which planet ?

There have been studies done with major MMO's like WOW/EQ2 about Forum participation. I believe WOW found that on average, less than 5% of your player base actually even knows the game has a Forum, let alone uses it.

EQ2 found similar results. The forums, are a small, REALLY small fraction of the player base. So either way, both sides of this this argument (pro nerf, not pro nerf) are neither the majority, or an average player to be honest.

Majority doesn't matter anyway, it's not a democracy.

We can give feedback but BW can do what they want, even going against a majority of players

Edited by Nyla

That's nice you're happy but as you don't give any information about what you did, not sure your opinions is that usefull as is.

I mean:

what class and spec

what level

what gear

which companion, in which stance, what influence rank ?

which heroics ? you did 3 ? 10 ? the 70+ we can do ? if you did only some, which on which planet ?

i couldnt agree with you more comps didnt need nuking especially since you no longer can outfit them in gear that does anything to help their abysmal stats sorry but depending upon your class you cannot do heroics as was advertised with the last patch and the game still isnt party up friendly...

Companions need to be fixed and given more heal and dps ability especially playing some of the classes

Versus the 5 or so people defending the nerf.

30 VS 5 is still a majority.

When you make website reporting new on a game nerf and it say forum a blaze you can say it was more the 20 to 30 people disliked it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/news/read/37171/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Forums-Aflame-Companion-Nerf-Under-Fire.html

Hey folks,

First off, we want to thank all of you for your feedback about Companion balance following 4.0.2. As we go into the weekend, we wanted you to know that we have gone through this thread, the forums, Reddit, and social media to gather everyone’s perspectives. We have come out of this with quite a few action items that we are going to take, including buffs for Companions. On Monday, we are going to release a forum post highlighting our plans to address current Companion balance, along with the state of Heroic Missions and Star Fortress.

Thank you all once again for your feedback.

-eric

so either ,

A, They realised they screwed up- and how many times have we seen this?

B, people actually left talking with their wallets

I disagree with the premise that 4.0.2 is fine the way it is. "You're doing it wrong" or "just wear 216-rated gear to an area that drops 208 gear and you'll be fine."

Not fine. Level appropriate gear, not above-level appropriate gear, is all Eric Musco said we needed. Didn't say anything about quality of gear, either -- we don't need to be standing there in a full set of orange shells populated with artifact mods.

I disagree with the premise that 4.0.2 is fine the way it is. "You're doing it wrong" or "just wear 216-rated gear to an area that drops 208 gear and you'll be fine."

Not fine. Level appropriate gear, not above-level appropriate gear, is all Eric Musco said we needed. Didn't say anything about quality of gear, either -- we don't need to be standing there in a full set of orange shells populated with artifact mods.

But muh challenge.

If we were such a minority BW would not have already announced to buff/reversed the nerfs done in 4.0.2. I frankly don't care what you say op. If enough people cancel their subscription BW will do what we want them to do because their bosses will not like losing money.

You are welcome to do the same when companions are buffed or the changes reversed, but we both know you pro nerf companion players are a minority. If BW has to choose between pro companion nerf or anti nerf companion players, they will chose the players that generate the most money for them. That is how the word works and that is why many players decided to cancel their subscription because ultimately if enough players cancel their subscription we can get them to do what we want or inflect a heavier monetary loss than the pro nerf players. Given the option, the bosses of the developers will always pick the lesser loss.

How do you like those apples?

Edited by Knockerz

What a different scanario we would have had if the last patch had been... 'reduced healing capacity by 25% for companions.'

I really think this would have been far more workable than what was enforced by 4.0.2

You could do that 25% reduction no problem. Whoever in BW decided 75% (or whatever they decided on) should be taken outside and introduced to a rancor.

People do like to play solo, not always by choice, but by simple experience that even when they make an attempt to be social with folk in the immediate vicinity, they are simply met with.. silence... no response, no interaction. .. nothing.. you can buff people with your buff hoping for a return of 'their buff''.. but nothing happens.. its as though you did nothing....... sometimes people just are not social at all.. and that is where the rot is.

so either ,

A, They realised they screwed up- and how many times have we seen this?

B, people actually left talking with their wallets

In my experience B, developers have huge egos and only when faced with heavy monetary losses do developers reverse changes or make adjustment that the majority want or they find themselves another job. That is what happen with wildstar.

Edited by Knockerz

what a different scanario we would have had if the last patch had been... 'reduced healing capacity by 25% for companions.'

i really think this would have been far more workable than what was enforced by 4.0.2

you could do that 25% reduction no problem. Whoever in bw decided 75% (or whatever they decided on) should be taken outside and introduced to a rancor.

People do like to play solo, not always by choice, but by simple experience that even when they make an attempt to be social with folk in the immediate vicinity, they are simply met with.. Silence... No response, no interaction. .. Nothing.. You can buff people with your buff hoping for a return of 'their buff''.. But nothing happens.. Its as though you did nothing....... Sometimes people just are not social at all.. And that is where the rot is.

^^ that! And again ^^ that!

If we were such a minority BW would not have already announced to buff/reversed the nerfs done in 4.0.2. I frankly don't care what you say op. If enough people cancel their subscription BW will do what we want them to do because their bosses will not like losing money. Your welcome to do the same when companions are buffed or the changes reversed, but we both know you pro nerf companion players are a minority. If BW has to choose between pro companion nerf or anti nerf companion players, they will chose the players that generate the most money for them. That is how the word works and that is why many players decided to cancel their subscription because ultimately if enough players cancel their subscription we can get them to do what we want or inflect a heavier monetary loss than the pro nerf players. Given the option, the bosses of the developers will always pick the lesser loss.

How do you like those apples?

We won't know who's going to like those apples until we know what those apples are. I doubt the people who can't live without 4.0 companions will be happy with the compromise.

We won't know who's going to like those apples until we know what those apples are. I doubt the people who can't live without 4.0 companions will be happy with the compromise.

You are right, we don't know yet but by the same token they already know they will be taking some losses from this fiasco so which way do you think they will err on this time?

Eric asked for feedback when they implemented 4.0.2. After a week, they have feedback from a number of sources and are going to make an adjustment (which is what they said they were going to do, btw) Nothing is being done because of forum outrage and only Bioware knows what the subscription activity has been over the past few weeks so that cannot be accurately cited as a cause for the change. (No, showing that there have been a lot of "I quit" posts in the forums does in no way indicate subscription activity) There are always a plethora of "I quit" threads when there is a change that people do not like (slot machine, disciplines, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, take your pick of "final nail in the coffin" prediction) Edited by iacon

Fully agree with OP.

....And so does everybody else, really. Anyone who has spend a single second rationalizing this will agree our immortal demigod healer companions were silly, dysfunctional and utter game breaking imbalance in all ways. It's just that when "being rational " and " ME ME ME ME" face off, many people have latter winning the day in very drastic fashion. It is all about bigger pitcure and seeing " Game is broken" vs. a far more short sighted " I have fun!!"

Edited by Stradlin