Is This Really What People Want??

havokhead

I think this new expansion is fantastic PRECISELY because of the new story content! I have been a loyal subscriber since launch but this is truly the first time I've ever been so intrigued by the wonderful, nuanced writing.

With that said, to all of you who are screaming bloody murder because this expansion didn't showcase any new Operations or PvP, just be patient and tone down the incessant rage-ranting. This game has so many unique and complex elements to it that the devs probably have to put their focus on just a few key things at any given time, so, be patient. I am looking forward to the next installment of story content and I'm sure we'll also be seeing more announcements about new Operations and other things in the future. For now, I thank Bioware for doing such a superb job in developing a Star Wars story line that actually *feels* like it's STAR WARS!

Edited by Sorrai

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an old-fashioned mmo player, I've been playing mmos for a long time. I'm also a Star Wars fan, Old Republic was a great mix of the two. That's why I'm here. But personally, I think this new direction of SWTOR is just a big mess. They keep saying "Oh ya, all players really want nowadays is more story, more epicness". Really!!??

Do you really want all of Bioware's resources tied up for months & months to partake in a stream-lined, cut scene infested story arc that can be finished in an afternoon? You don't want any new pvp content? No new operations? Yes I realize these things "may be coming in the near future" but in the meantime this new storyline content just has no re-playability at all. How many times are you willing to follow Lana the "Jedi-wannabe sith" through a swamp? I've been told that this is what players really want and I find it hard to believe.

I think you are all confused, you want to sit around for 6 months at a time waiting for an afternoon's entertainment. Then you don't want an mmo, you want a MOVIE!! And great news, there's a Star Wars movie coming out in 2 months!! I'll see you all there but in the meantime I'd like my mmo back because this is not a mmo PC game, this is an advanced version of a read-along book. I used to read those when I was like 7 yrs old. "If you want to jump over the puddle turn to page 63. If you want to go around the puddle instead, then turn to page 89." Either way you're on the other side of the puddle!! Congratulations you finished Chapter 1 - The Puddle, now please wait patiently for 6 more months as we move on to Chapter 2 - The Hill.

Come on people!!

Story was the reason I've been here since beta and the reason I stay. Everything else is secondary. This is my Star Wars adventure. Perhaps you should find a title that meets your needs. I recommend CoD.

Yes. This is how it should be. Story, story, story. New and original. The level sync is the best thing that happened to this game for now you can whatever you want anywhere and see the stories within this game without wondering if you are going to get xp or rewards or not.

No i want a good fun crafting system where I can gear my guys the way i want without having to do retarded things to get the recipes or materials.

I want to be able to attack level 10s as a 60 and destroy 1000 in 10 seconds.

I want to be able to solo world bosses when i become god like.

I want a lot of buffs that people can cast from certain classes like shaman in everquest so you would like one in your group that can give you haste ect....

I want non bind gear, so its tradeable.

I want a good story but i want the option of flashpoints and raids for gearing but the option to craft gear almost as good if i dont wanna do all the FPs or raids to get the gear i need to be in those raids or get wiped out.

That is what i want, they took all the fun out of crafting and make it a cluster FCK. Bioware is simply stupid, this is nothing like kotor 1 or 2 nothing at all it never was, the skill choices werent. It is very very very very very hard to make a game where choices actually effect the world around you.

They would have to redesign the whole game engine to make it work like that, you need terrain and cities that can be destroyed that way you know when things change, not the same rendered crap. Im sorry EQ next was gonna do it but now it looks like that went to hell as well. This is why i should be a game DEV, id get it right, it amazes me how these morons who are supposed to be professionals DONT GET IT!

Oh mighty sage of gaming, and gamers everywhere: You are, of course, aware that the pattern you're "predicting" here can be traced back through most of the history of MMOs? I mean, to spout such wisdom to us, the uneducated masses, you had to know that, right? No? You sincerely believed that this is going to be a unique happening that spells the doom of swtor as we know it?

Here's what's going to happen, based entirely on what I have observed over a decade and a half of gaming:

New content releases, populations pick up. BTW, as an aside here, it doesn't matter if it's new Ops, or new story, there are groups that will hit it for the new stuff. Within a couple of weeks, at the low end, or a month or so on the outside, the content leeches get it all done, and leave. This pattern has been repeating itself since before there was a swtor to apply it to, and it will continue to happen after it's gone.

But Rob, how do you know? Because hardcore raiders have top tier gear now. They're going to devour new content in short order because of the gear, have all the new gear, and be here complaining that there's nothing to do, then they're gone to the next game. It's been happening for years, and it's going to continue to happen.

You're right about the spikes of population, that is and will always be a constant thing in mmos. But with breaking the non story content they extend this phenomena. And you can ask any mmo director, the number of people who return to play after stop is always less than the number of departures. For various reasons.

Keeping them online to avoid that they go play to other mmos is the purpose of non story content. Soften the spikes. And even with all the qualities of this update, the ambiance, the goal of developping your alliance and the housing, the late game is purly uninteresting because their are no challenge at all.

And with the same story for every classes, the interest for do it again is very low. The différentes choices have limited impact and you can craft with you level 60 character. For less rendement but you can.

So for all that various reasons i'm pretty sure that in 2/3 months there will be less player than 3 months ago.

What players overwhelming said they wanted over the years was more story content ie the unique nuanced class stories as they were 1-50. What bw delivered under the guise of 'more story content you asked for' isn't what people asked for.

Just as the forced level sync is their version of the optional mentoring system people asked for.

Just as gsf pvp is their version of free flight space (pve) people asked for.

Just as the neutering of companion unique abilities and adding multi-role ability is their version of giving players a way to run with the companion they want.

this. but what is "free flight space PVE"?

I think you are all confused, you want to sit around for 6 months at a time waiting for an afternoon's entertainment. Then you don't want an mmo, you want a MOVIE!!

I called people who objected to level sync as individuals who want "Youtube Gaming Experience". Did not expect BW to make everything story related as challenging as watching a movie.

Edited by Ruskaeth

People didn't even want TOR to be an mmo to begin with, we wanted KOTOR 3 and in a way we're getting it.

People also wanted this game to be SWG 2.0. To be honest, I would have preferred that over what we got now.

That being said, when KotFE was announced, I was glad that BW was finally putting out an "expansion" that focused on the one of two parts of the game that have been neglected since launch - the storytelling. However, I am not pleased with a whole lot of other changes and decisions to the game, so ultimately, despite the focus on story. I have cancelled my subs and will be leaving the game for the forseeable future.

The return to storytelling is fine - but only if the story is worth playing, and then replaying with alts. From all appearances, it is not. Therefore, being an MMO whether one likes it or not, the rest of the game must be engaging enough to maintain a stable playerbase to keep the funds and players flowing in. As a result, the lack of endgame/PvP content, and sandbox elements, just makes things worse (and I am not an endgame/PvP/sandbox player). The changes to Ops and FPs are good, and will help in the future, but the current state of the game could have, and should have been much better than what we got.

Edited by TravelersWay

Well, I know they want to stop teaching handwriting - or at least cursive handwriting - in some schools, given the prevalence of typing now. But I suppose decrying the declining state of the world today, and the younger generation in particular, just sounds better if you say they want to stop teaching 'writing'.

One should never let facts get in the way of a good diatribe, after all.

Oh that...

well, I kinds agree that not teaching cursive handwriting is no big deal. Some school here in Czech Republic already stopped doing it (replacing the "font" they teach kids during handwriting, looks lore like typed letters).

Check the server population in one month and you will have the answer. When 80% of the servers are back on light all the time, this expansion was a failure since it did not bring back a healthy game population.

For sure you will have some players which are happy to get 1 hour of new content per month for 13€. But i doubt that player base is big enough to bring this game to a higher level.

Its already happening and its not even a week after release. I am in a huge guild and we have probably averaged 30-40 players online for the last year, just prior to early access we had upwards of 100 people online each night at peak times. It has steadily declined and is now really falling off. Tonight the high peak was 15. Last night 20.

Also we had 2 different new subscribers that joined SWTOR. Brand new never played the game before.

- the first played and asked lots of questions on why he was down-leveled on planets. Didn't understand it at all. Everyone told him how while leveling it will help him get XP without over-leveling and receiving less or no XP on lower planets. Last I saw his character was level 51 and hasn't been played in a week now.

- the second got to max level, played through KotFE on release day and the following day, asked when chapter 10 was being released and after getting an answer informed us that he was going to his account to unsub. He really didnt like the bad take on a choose your own adventure cutscene show.

I that is any indication of the reaction that new gamers coming here are having then the hopes of many new subs and CC buyers is gonna go out the window.

I finished KotFE day 1 of early access, spent the next 2 days unlocking all the companions available to me. Hit 50 influence on 6 of them and havent touched that character since. Next week I will play it after reset, do my weekly heroics and assorted weeklys and then shelf it for another week. I am glad I have unsubbed and will soon go to F2P with 6 characters banks full of enough unlocks to last me many many months. I will again sub after the rest of the chapters are released and then probably go back to F2P.

You're right about the spikes of population, that is and will always be a constant thing in mmos. But with breaking the non story content they extend this phenomena. And you can ask any mmo director, the number of people who return to play after stop is always less than the number of departures. For various reasons.

Keeping them online to avoid that they go play to other mmos is the purpose of non story content. Soften the spikes. And even with all the qualities of this update, the ambiance, the goal of developping your alliance and the housing, the late game is purly uninteresting because their are no challenge at all.

And with the same story for every classes, the interest for do it again is very low. The différentes choices have limited impact and you can craft with you level 60 character. For less rendement but you can.

So for all that various reasons i'm pretty sure that in 2/3 months there will be less player than 3 months ago.

Could be, could be it's about the same as it was, could be slightly higher. No game company ever has been able to keep up with the content leeches. This would mean releasing a new Op every two weeks, or new story, both apply here, and nobody is doing that, any where. Some of these players are impossible to keep on a full time basis, because that's what a release schedule would have to look like, new stuff at the minimum every month.

Note, it has to be new stuff, and it has to be interesting, and nobody can do that. There are only so many archetypes of quests you can use. There are only so many mechanics that can be used for boss fights, and even if "It's the best boss fight ever" is true in one Op, if the next one tries to follow that formula for what made it great, it's going to be "you just copy/pasted the boss from xxxx". We've already seen that here, or something close.

Game developers and publishers are wise to this. They understand that there's a section of the community that's only interested in X as opposed to Y or Z. So they do what they do, and release when they have something, and observe the same pattern repeat itself over and over, with the fluctuations that we have already agreed happen. Nobody can curtail these content leech spikes, because it's not a developer issue. Some people will schedule time off of work for a new release that trips their trigger. Within a couple of weeks, as I said in my previous post, they'll have everything they want from the new content, and it's back to taking time off until the next big thing.

The best that they can hope for is to attract and maintain a steady casual player base. These are the people that keep the lights on every day.

People also wanted this game to be SWG 2.0. To be honest, I would have preferred that over what we got now.

That being said, when KotFE was announced, I was glad that BW was finally putting out an "expansion" that focused on the one of two parts of the game that have been neglected since launch - the storytelling. However, I am not pleased with a whole lot of other changes and decisions to the game, so ultimately, despite the focus on story. I have cancelled my subs and will be leaving the game for the forseeable future.

The return to storytelling is fine - but only if the story is worth playing, and then replaying with alts. From all appearances, it is not. Therefore, being an MMO whether one likes it or not, the rest of the game must be engaging enough to maintain a stable playerbase to keep the funds and players flowing in. As a result, the lack of endgame/PvP content, and sandbox elements, just makes things worse (and I am not an endgame/PvP/sandbox player). The changes to Ops and FPs are good, and will help in the future, but the current state of the game could have, and should have been much better than what we got.

What you have said is what many others say in kind.

But...

You and others were a paying "sub" before KotFE was even talked about ..right?

So what you have said is that you like the game but did not get stuff YOU wanted..right?

So if this KotFE never came out you would still be a sub...right?

I see no real difference, in what you are saying and others like you.

I to did not like how 9 chapters took 4 hours to do...

Yet, the more I play now the more things I find to do and have fun at.

I, like you, was ready to call it quits and more on.

I, think for now, I will stay and see what happens once I get everything new completed.

Then and only then can one make an intelligent assessment of what the game and BW did or did not do.

I don;t think anyone has yet done it ALL...

In the end it is, your money and time so do as you see fit.

it is not, my place, nor anyone else, to tell someone what and/or how to play this or any game.

Dög out.........

Edited by DogMeat

You guys do know that the server pop won't balance out until they start doing monthly release on story? With fallout 4 around the corner, and they knew many will stop subbing and resub with the story.

Many amazing games coming out soon, they are smart to wait until next year to start rolling out the content. I bet, they will make more money with people wanting to sub for the story that month than before.

Being a huge fan of Mass Effect - the story is what keeps me here in the game.

PVP when I do play it is actually fun and the auto level of PVP'rs within a certain range is what makes it that way for me, I always hated the griefing aspect of over leveled players ganking lower level ones in other MMO PVP.

so to answer your post title - Yes this is exactly what this person wants.

I want to be able to attack level 10s as a 60 and destroy 1000 in 10 seconds.

Oooh. You're one of THOSE idiots.

Just so you know, people like you are half the reason they implemented level sync in the first place, so you whining about it is actually fairly ironic. Maybe if you had stuck to attacking people your own level instead of going after new players and low level toons, they wouldn't have felt the need to do that.

And people wonder why the gaming industry treats its consumers so horribly. They wonder why it's hit & miss for every overhyped pile of garbage to hit the front page of IGN. I wonder what would happen if gaming consumers didn't settle for less, if they didn't wait six months for an afternoon's entertainment in an "mmo". If they wanted more... But I suppose these freaks will continue to be happy to pay two or three times the price for a knock-off Telltale game.

God bless the First World Zombies!

Well, I guess zombies have a more fulfilling life than you normal humans do, we don't play the same game for six months. We use a very strange technique called "unsubscribing".

But if what you want is to be force-fed with stupid PvP and overdone PvE for 6 years straight, whatever rocks your boat mate.

Oooh. You're one of THOSE idiots.

Just so you know, people like you are half the reason they implemented level sync in the first place, so you whining about it is actually fairly ironic. Maybe if you had stuck to attacking people your own level instead of going after new players and low level toons, they wouldn't have felt the need to do that.

Actually it is not one of the reasons they implemented the level syncing. Point of fact, level syncing doesn't affect Expertise at this time, so it pretty much does nothing to prevent the ganking that seems to be so prevalent, yet never complained about until level syncing became a thing.

They implemented level syncing as a half-assed way to offset the increased XP gain they have now made mandatory, with no White Acute Module to turn it off. They have also stated that it was done for "mentoring" and for "stuff they may do in the future", because they really had no other game plan other than that and needed to offset the backlash that has occurred from it being carte blanche mandatory.

Edited by TravelersWay