The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware?? Why didn't you listen in the beta??

MajikMyst

next thing you know a companion in the next few chapter releases will require people to do >!20!< matches of GSF

or better yet >!20!< missions of the on the rails space missions (altough I personally do not mind those :p)

That said, pierce / 4X arent favorite companions of mine so I don't really care, ill pick them up on my warriors / troopers but thats about it.

Edited by Faardor

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understand why pvp is such a thing people hate. It is not my first choice in activities, but it is fun to get out there and mess around. Gets my adrenaline going if I haven't played in a while.

The problem people have with this, is they have no pvp gear so they get owned and don't have fun. Understandable. Either suffer through it (stick with your effing group and do better), or buy the starter pvp gear. I geared my brand new shadow in 2 days working 10 hour days, cleaning the house and spending time with my wife. It is easy, and after you get geared, you may find joy in it.

The main problem is you have two very different mindsets that are in direct opposition at work here.

To a PvPer, its all just a game, you are controlling a character, you fight, you kill, you die, its just a game.

To a PvEer, its an escape from real life, the character is your avatar, it is you that's fighting, killing, and dying, its an extension of yourself.

So, you have a group of people that work very hard to never die because to them in their mind its like THEY are dying when they do, dealing with a group of people that could care less if they died fifty times in a day.

When you put these two conflicting gamer types in the same area, you deal with a very simple cause and effect cycle.

PvEer gets killed, gets upset and angry because 'they died'. PvPer gets annoyed and calls the PvEer a Care bear and whiner for throwing a fit.

PvPers don't understand why PvEers get so upset when they are killed.

PvEers don't understand why PvPers don't get upset when they are killed.

To a PvPer, its all just a game, you are controlling a character, you fight, you kill, you die, its just a game.

Umm... No... PvP players get pretty pissed when they die too... Why do you think they like to travel in packs, gank lower levels, and premade faceroll unranked matches?

Okay, I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread as it's giving me a headache, but what I'm getting from this is that once we're high enough and to the point of starting this new stuff, we lose all our companions and are forced to PVP to get them back? After all the hard work we went through getting their affection topped out and everything, we have no choice but to completely start over? As someone with wrist problems who can't physically pvp because things are too fast, and someone who hates pvp with a passion because it's usually just jerks doing it (experienced in 6 games so far including this one), this will most likely make me leave the game when I get to that point with all my toons if they don't fix it with some other option. I suppose, thanks to this, there's no reason to purchase the expansions in between either. Why spend the money on something the game will be forcing me to quit? Great move Bioware! *heavy sarcasm*

I'm not the biggest fan of PvP (I would go as far as to say I actively loathe gear based PvP) but this design choice doesn't bother me.

1) It's limited to a single ally (Imperial -Pierce or Republic -4X). If they were an original companion you don't have to PvP for them.

2) It's only 20 matches (with wins counting as 2), this can be combined with daily (4 matches) and weekly (15 matches) pvp missions.

3) You don't have to win only take part. Don't stand in a corner. Run around, spam AOE, heal, tank have a bit of fun :)

4) It's unranked warzones with bolster even average PvE gear seemed to be okay for me.

5) You don't have to gain the ally in half an hour. Do one or two warzones an evening, in a fortnight you'll have the ally. You've had to wait 4 years to gain another Classes companion as your own what's the rush?

6) It could be worse, they could have asked you to do Galactic Star Fighter :p

Edited by Vhaegrant

I will most likely just run around in circles doing nothing and trying not to die 100 times per match. I suck at pvp, I tried a lot of times to get into it but it just isn't for me. Companions that will require pvp will most likely be the companions I will recruit last, so it's not a big deal for me personally.

1) It's limited to a single ally (Imperial -Pierce or Republic -4X). If they were an original companion you don't have to PvP for them.

2) It's only 20 matches (with wins counting as 2), this can be combined with daily (4 matches) and weekly (15 matches) pvp missions.

3) You don't have to win only take part. Don't stand in a corner. Run around, spam AOE, heal, tank have a bit of fun :)

4) It's unranked warzones with bolster even average PvE gear seemed to be okay for me.

5) You don't have to gain the ally in half an hour. Do one or two warzones an evening, in a fortnight you'll have the ally. You've had to wait 4 years to gain another Classes companion as your own what's the rush?

6) It could be worse, they could have asked you to do Galactic Star Fighter :p

1) Thank the Force it's only a single ally. Still makes zero sense lore-wise to be limited to PvP (Since half the warzones I fought were against my own faction. I can already imagine Forex telling me "Yay, you slaughtered those Republic pigs and... wait a minute!") why can't we have a huge number of Imperial NPCs to kill (Or maybe a list of commanders who drop influence item like Qyzen works)

2) It's 10 to 20 matches per character. If like me you have tons of alt, it climbs up to nearly 200 to 400 matches to play. If at least there was an "Alliance" tab to the Legacy system, where you could pay a certain amount of credits to automatically validate the requirement to recruit new companions on further characters, I'd be okay with doing the quest once with a Pub and once with an Imp. As it is now, the won't be any way to circumvent the warzones grind.

3) Running around and dying repeatedly isn't my idea of fun. Sitting in a corner, minimizing the game and reading a book is a lot more appealing.

4) Once again, thank the Force it's unranked. It would have been the ultimate stupid choice to put a companion behind Ranked WZ.

5) Granted, I'm completely okay with taking time. I'd just like to take the time by doing something that is actually fun to play for me.

6) I don't know, GSF is very difficult to master but I prefer to see ships colliding into each others like drunk teenagers coming back from a night in town than the utter stupidity of how PvP fights look like (One of the reason I tend to favor solo/coop games. The A.I might be stupid but it doesn't bunny-hop, rocket jump or, for MMOs, spam it's skills like crazy. I just can't immerse myself in a game where every fight looks like a group of hyperactive children pretending to have a fistfight.)

It's really not about deleting the PvP requirement, just adding a, likewise time consuming, PvE alternative that makes sense in lore.

I just love to kill some PVE-crab. And when I started a new character for fun on PVE server, I was so mad that I can't kill anyone. You guys like Star Wars but imagine that a Sith meets a Jedi. How do you think they will act? 99% they will try to kill each other. And then imagine yourself on Corellia, you are a Jedi and you see that some Sith is killing republic soldiers, what do you do? You have to kill him to protect your ally but you can't coz it is PVE server.

I'd wish all servers are PVP because this is how I roleplay.

i'm not fond of PvP myself, but that being said, i don't think it's wrong to have compagnon unlockable in a multitude way. Some might require pVp, other flashpoint or operation, It add to the diversity. In a way, it tailor your story and your character to your gameplay, making it your unique adventure.

I just love to kill some PVE-crab. And when I started a new character for fun on PVE server, I was so mad that I can't kill anyone. You guys like Star Wars but imagine that a Sith meets a Jedi. How do you think they will act? 99% they will try to kill each other. And then imagine yourself on Corellia, you are a Jedi and you see that some Sith is killing republic soldiers, what do you do? You have to kill him to protect your ally but you can't coz it is PVE server.

I'd wish all servers are PVP because this is how I roleplay.

You have already stated the simple solution: Roll on a PvP server. The problem is, despite all the "but PvP is the main draw" claims that get made from time to time, the second most common thread related to PvP is how the PvP server needs to be merged due to low population. It seems to me that both of these situations can't be true. It's ironic, to me, that even in Aion, which was released as PvPvE, people spend more time on the "fast track" server, where PvP can't happen, than on the actual servers they rolled on.

So if you got your wish, you'd have one server, with people begging for a merge.

You must not like it too much or you would have stayed on one of the pvp servers.

And after a month of traveling from server to server (EU and NA) I realized that I have to go back to my low populated swamp "TOFN".

Funny thing is I don't even like warzones. But I can't live and watch how my enemy exping next to me.

i think it needs to be said that this whole new companion system is not only ridiculous, but wholly unacceptable i am and always will be a dyed in the wool imp die hard, the fact that you are sending me after quyzen fess, and then make his recruiting so mindlessly tedious, hes a friggin pub where is the shoot that pub lizard option. I dont want no filthy pub slime on my team, it offends me to no end to be saddled with that theron shan POS. Give me immediate and unhindered bs accessto imp companions and stuff your bs pub toons up your collective black hole.

1. I do not want pub toons on my team.
  2. i want to play my mmo story the way i want. you know mmo played the way the players envisions it has been the key selling point for mmos historically! morons!
  3. I do not want to be forced to adopt new gather skills and go thru all kinds of ******** missions to get toons either so if that is the case then you need to make it so your ridiculous new comp system does not retard my progress in the main game system; what do i mean, well you need to insure that no where in the future is any quest locked contingent on the presence of one of these ridiculous new companions that i in all honesty cant be asked to suffer getting.
  4. Of course you dont have to take what i say to heart i hear big point and world of warships is live and they DO let the player determine his own game tract, oh and their premium is cheaper. just saying!

Edited by RaGiNDon

YOUR tears would be delicious when you keep losing because the people on your side are people who don't WANT to be there, and are not geared for it. Especially funny when this is true and you'e fighting a premade.

I love PvP.... in other games. I don't EVER PVP in ANY game where PvP and PvE sit side by side. One will always suffer for the other and it's usually a pain to balance.

Funny, ESO did a pretty good job of balancing within a year. SW struggles almost 4 years in. It is possible, but BW couldn't balance a piece of plywood on a level floor.

Okay, I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread as it's giving me a headache, but what I'm getting from this is that once we're high enough and to the point of starting this new stuff, we lose all our companions and are forced to PVP to get them back? After all the hard work we went through getting their affection topped out and everything, we have no choice but to completely start over? As someone with wrist problems who can't physically pvp because things are too fast, and someone who hates pvp with a passion because it's usually just jerks doing it (experienced in 6 games so far including this one), this will most likely make me leave the game when I get to that point with all my toons if they don't fix it with some other option. I suppose, thanks to this, there's no reason to purchase the expansions in between either. Why spend the money on something the game will be forcing me to quit? Great move Bioware! *heavy sarcasm*

No, it's not about that.

If you are a trooper (in the case of Forex) or a Sith warrior (in the case of Pierce) then you can get those companions back into your fold with little to no extra work as I am understanding this.

It is only if you are something other than those classes trying to add a companion that was not a part of your original crew that you need to take these extra steps. You have to prove yourself to them, whereas you already proved yourself to your original crew through the course of your class story.

It is completely optional and offers no mechanical advantage that I am aware of, but people are getting mad because they can not have it all by doing only the things they want to do.

Edited by Mithros

No, it's not about that.

If you are a trooper (in the case of Forex) or a Sith warrior (in the case of Pierce) then you can get those companions back into your fold with little to no extra work as I am understanding this.

It is only if you are something other than those classes trying to add a companion that was not a part of your original crew that you need to take these extra steps. You have to prove yourself to them, whereas you already proved yourself to your original crew through the course of your class story.

It is completely optional and offers no mechanical advantage that I am aware of, but people are getting mad because they can not have it all by doing only the things they want to do.

Gross simplification. We are "getting mad" because pretty much every companion in the Alliance system can be acquired by playing alone. Forex/Pierce force you to do Warzones if you want them. It would be acceptable if Warzones were in any way beneficial to the Alliance system, and it's not. And the "reason" for them requiring PvP is dubious at best. We are only asking for an alternate way to obtain them, that require as much work as 10 to 20 Warzones but doesn't force us to do PvP.

You all don't need to have every single companion you know.

I know for completionists the OCD kicks in and they do but the rest of you are going overboard.

There are over 20 recruitable companions now. Every single one of them can't be a situation where you walk up to them, tell them to pack up their gear and follow you. You have to put in the work. And often times in an MMO (just like in WoW or wherever else) there are certain shiney's that are placed behind a PvP barrier.

I've read some on this thread say they're taking away your companions because you can't PvP. False, Pierce goes with the Sith Warrior and Forex goes with the Trooper even if they've never raised a lightsaber to their fellow man.

There are 6 companions in this xpac that seem to be gated behind a difficult wall.

Lt. Pierce - PvP on Empire faction characters. Can't even get him if you're a Pub (I feel your tears)

Forex - PvP on Republic faction characters. Can't even get him if you're an Imp (sweet, sweet tears)

Dr. Lokin - Have to take part in the Rakgoul plague (What? why would they gate a companion behind optional events? What if I only have 2 days off from work to play in an entire year and they don't fall during that event?)

The other 2 companions who I expect the forums to crack the boiling point on (oh the threads we can expect on these) are...

Akk Dog - You have to participate in the Cartel Market for it, and when you do the drop is Rare as ****! I'm talking Unicorn rare.

and

Tanno Vik- Pretty sure he's not coming back, not even for trooper's. Oh the horror.

Finally there is

Nico Okarr - lost forever behind a subscriber bonus never to be attainable again (possibly)

So there's 6 companions that are currently behind some very high gates. But even so there are

4 new primary companions

6 new planetary companions that join you after each planet's star fortress (wait, we have to do flashpoints for 6 companions?! Why lock all those companions behind PvE barriers!? I might swoon in shock like a fancy southern lady.)

2 ship droids (You loved the one so much now you got them both)

4 other former companions you can recruit through the alliance system (by forum acceptable means I might add)

2 companions that even at 4.0 some people still don't have despite them being in the game and available for years. Mostly because they gated them behind either the CM (Treek) or an incredibly long grind (HK-51) and not everyone wanted to go to the trouble. Which is their choice, and at least they're not filling the forums with their entitled complaining over it.

Edited by JDiablos

I really don't know why I insist but here to those who tell me I don't "need" Forex, answer this:

Were can my Knight find a pro-Republic murderbot voiced by Tom Kane as companion outside of M1-4X?

Find me that companion and I'll relent and go chase him instead of Forex.

I really don't know why I insist but here to those who tell me I don't "need" Forex, answer this:

Were can my Knight find a pro-Republic murderbot voiced by Tom Kane as companion outside of M1-4X?

Then go do PvP if you want him on your knight, it's as simple as that.

First not sure Tom Kane is going to provide future voice work, you don't get to redo their companion convo's on your Jedi Knight so the only extra voice work from him would be his gleeful statements while questing.

Second, what is being said is it's not necessary for your Jedi Knight's story. So you don't need him. You may want him very badly. If that is the case do the warzones. If you hate PvP just think of how bad you'll be sticking it to those folks while you stumble around their battlefield. If anyone should be upset about this it's the PvPers, but they seem not to care.

The thing about companions is now with the universal nature of each companion the mustard is truly off the hot dog, and they're going to start becoming available like armor sets. Some will come via PvP, some will come via Operations, some might come through events, and the rest will come via the Cartel Markets. Let's embrace this new world where companions might be the reward for all sorts of things.

Edited by JDiablos