Please tell me you're not stealing my character slots...

jkutswings

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/FAQ-Knights-of-the-Fallen-Empire/m-p/4832777#U4832777

On the official FAQ board, we have this excerpt:

15. If I have 22 characters on a server now, will I still be able to create a Start at level 60 character?

Yes, you will. We have increased the maximum number of character slots available to subscribers to 40 per server. When you purchase a Start at Level 60 character you automatically receive a server slot unlock with it.

When you reach the new maximum of 40 characters per server you will no longer be able to purchase or use additional Start at Level 60 characters.

Note: If you’re a preferred player, the number of active characters you may have per server has been increased to 14. You cannot have more than 14 active characters on a server even with purchased unlocks or Start at 60 characters.

So assuming this isn't a typo, you're saying that, even if you've paid (via CC or credits through the GTN) for maxxing out your character slots, once the expansion hits, active subs can have up to 40 characters per server, but if your sub lapses, you drop, not to 16 as preferred has been until now, but to 14, and you can't even keep all 16 advanced classes active? That seems a bit harsh, especially for items that cost actual money.

Leveling alts in this game is based around multiples of 4. We have 4 class buffs, 8 basic classes, and 16 advanced classes. So why on earth - again, assuming that this isn't a typo - would we go from 16 as the current maximum for preferred, to 14 in the expansion?

They're making it sound like it's a buff, when it's actually reducing the hard cap. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Edited by jkutswings

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it effects me... But I think the OPs point was that currently preferred players have been able to purchase extra slots up to 16?... But with the expansion they will lose those 2 slots, even if they have already paid real money for them... Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding from the post...

If that's the case then Bio are basically taking the preferred players money and then saying "oh sorry we've decided we'll keep your money, but we're not going to give you what you paid for"...

I think ethically Bio have 2 options here... Either make it 16 again or give the people back the money they have paid, plus some other form of compensation.. Option 2 is obviously the one no one would want, but it would be better than them just keeping people's money for a service they already paid for

Edited by Icykill_

Note: If you’re a preferred player, the number of active characters you may have per server has been increased to 14. You cannot have more than 14 active characters on a server even with purchased unlocks or Start at 60 characters.

So assuming this isn't a typo, you're saying that, even if you've paid (via CC or credits through the GTN) for maxxing out your character slots, once the expansion hits, active subs can have up to 40 characters per server, but if your sub lapses, you drop, not to 16 as preferred has been until now, but to 14, and you can't even keep all 16 advanced classes active? That seems a bit harsh, especially for items that cost actual money.

OMG seriously? #facepalm That is the new base number BEFORE any slot expansion purchases. Any slot purchases you have made will remain. Some serious negative jumping to conclusions there.

Not that it effects me... But I think the OPs point was that currently preferred players have been able to purchase extra slots up to 16?... But with the expansion they will lose those 2 slots, even if they have already paid real money for them... Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding from the post...

If that's the case then Bio are basically taking the preferred players money and then saying "oh sorry we've decided we'll keep your money, but we're not going to give you what you paid for"...

I think ethically Bio have 2 options here... Either make it 16 again or give the people back the money they have paid, plus some other form of compensation.. Option 2 is obviously the one no one would want, but it would be better than them just keeping people money for a service they already paid for

Bingo.

I have no objection whatsoever over preferred accounts getting fewer character slots than subs. It's that the convenience acquired via real money is now (seemingly) being taken away. If subs can now go up to 40, it's clearly not a capacity issue, so why the change? Heck, I'd rather they drop the base value of preferred down to 2, like it is for F2P, and make us buy 14 slots, rather than just hard cap it at 14, and effectively steal 2 away from anybody who had already maxxed out.

OMG seriously? #facepalm That is the new base number BEFORE any slot expansion purchases. Any slot purchases you have made will remain. Some serious negative jumping to conclusions there.

Please read it again. It specifically states that EVEN WITH UNLOCKS AND INSTANT 60's, you cannot go above 14 active characters per server as preferred.

This makes no sense. The number of active slots for preferred has been increased to 14 but you cannot unlock more than 14... why would anyone buy server slot unlocks then?

Other than that everything is good. OP won't be able to complain when he goes preferred.

This makes no sense. The number of active slots for preferred has been increased to 14 but you cannot unlock more than 14... why would anyone buy server slot unlocks then?

Other than that everything is good. OP won't be able to complain when he goes preferred.

max number of slots probably increase to 14, but you probably only get 7 free.

I wouldn't know, I'm a sub... I guess the FAQ could be wrong due to the not ever being updated...

I'd ask a preferred player to confirm here, but I think only subs can post or am I wrong about that?

only subs can post here, but I believe baseline amount of characters preferred can have right now is 6. can't tell you for sure as the only preferred account I have acess to has a bunch of extra character slots unlocked.

I'm hoping that quote in OP is a wording error. because nullifying purchased character slots would be a very scammy move on a part of bioware.

Yep. The FAQ describes the baseline. If you pay for more, you get more.

Yep. The FAQ describes the baseline. If you pay for more, you get more.

Did you at least read OPs post? It says exactly this:

Edited by ShawDou

This is not true, i have 16 right now as prefered.

Please read ALL of the post.

"You cannot have more than 14 active characters on a server even with purchased unlocks"

"even with purchased unlocks"

Isn't the current limit 12 for preferred? That's what the FAQ says anyway.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7192

The faq says that character slots are per server only and I've only ever had them be for all servers (account) never seen a character slot that was just for one server or legacy.

With all unlocks (22 as a sub now) then you go preferred you can have 16 active now, what is quoted is that with KOTFE you will only be able to have 14 active they note 'even with all unlocks' you cannot have more than 14.

The problem here as others have stated is either this 14 limit 'with all unlocks' is wrong or they are taking away active slots that people used to have.

This has to be addressed soon. While, I am a sub and doesn't affect me all that much I would still like to see Bioware's stance on the issue. It has to be a typo or wording error because it'll be really stupid of bioware otherwise. Edited by fatninja

As prefered in past i could have 16 slots active (with all unlocks)

I haven't tried it myself to go up to 16 characters (10 atm), but i beleive him :)

I can confirm that somewhere in their website says prefs may have 12 (=6 default + 6 unlocks), forgot where...

However after contacted the support service, they insist, that after 4.0 pref will have maximum 14 (=6+8) characters.

I can copy the regarding part from the mail if u wish.

According to the SWTOR Help Center, the current status is:

"Depending on your account status, you will start off with a certain amount of character slots per server:

Preferred Status players (former Subscribers or players who have made a Cartel Coin purchase) can have 6 active characters per server... However, you can buy more character slots in the Cartel Market using Cartel Coins.

Preferred Status players (former Subscribers or players who have made a Cartel Coin purchase) can purchase an additional 6 character slots on each server."

So currently max active character slots is 12 for preferred. After KotFE, it'll be increased to 14.

However, that only applies to preferred players who have never subbed and only started out as preferred. For previous subs who've turned preferred, their additional bought 10 slots while they were subbed would remain, allowing them 16 active slots currently. I suspect that won't change after KotFE. What will change, according to the post, is that preferred players (who have never been subbed) will be able to have 14 max slots instead of 12.

That's what I get from this post and some older posts anyway. Hope this helps.

Edited by evelynchk

However, that only applies to preferred players who have never subbed and only started out as preferred.

People who never subbed are NOT Preferred, they are Free-To-Play people according to http://www.swtor.com/free/features. Preferred are only these who paid at least 5-10$ (not sure the number now) to game.

Edited by ShawDou