Please tell me you're not stealing my character slots...

jkutswings

If you're a subscriber, and you buy enough extra slots to get 40 characters, you can make and play 40 characters whenever you feel like it.

If you're a sub, and you go preferred, you don't LOSE those extra slots, but they become inactive. If you had 20 Sith Warriors and 20 Jedi Knights as a subscriber, you would lose about 24 of those toons. Meaning, the characters you made and created are still there. Bioware will never delete your characters, ever. But they become INACTIVE. Meaning, they are there, you can see them, but you can't access them until you become a subscriber again.

So, in essence, they're NOT removing characters if you go preferred. They're only making them inactive. And this is what happens, in this game, when you're not paying your subscription. You in essence become 'gimped' Think of it as punishment of a sort for not paying monthly/bi-yearly/yearly.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who never subbed are NOT Preferred, they are Free-To-Play people according to http://www.swtor.com/free/features. Preferred are only these who paid at least 5-10$ (not sure the number now) to game.

This is not a completely true statement. You can become preferred and never have subbed in the game before. If you start as a F2P player and you purchase cartel coins, a character slot or anything from the cartel market as long as you have spent at least $5 you become preferred.

Once you are preferred you can purchase up to 6 additional character slots for a max of 12. If you were a sub and you stopped your sub then you drop to preferred player with the option to have an additional 10 character slots for a total of 16.

The ones that have never subbed before when KOTFE comes out will have the option to purchase 2 more character slots giving them a total of 14 slots.

Bioware cannot take away or have any reason to take away something that someone has already purchased. They are given the f2p players that went to preferred the option to purchase 2 more probably with the hopes of them subbing for at least a month to get the new content.

The OP just misread or misunderstood what the actual information was. Now for those that are bashing him lighten up but the ones that bashing bioware for something that obviously they cannot do need to take a step back and relax.

If you're a subscriber, and you buy enough extra slots to get 40 characters, you can make and play 40 characters whenever you feel like it.

If you're a sub, and you go preferred, you don't LOSE those extra slots, but they become inactive. If you had 20 Sith Warriors and 20 Jedi Knights as a subscriber, you would lose about 24 of those toons. Meaning, the characters you made and created are still there. Bioware will never delete your characters, ever. But they become INACTIVE. Meaning, they are there, you can see them, but you can't access them until you become a subscriber again.

So, in essence, they're NOT removing characters if you go preferred. They're only making them inactive. And this is what happens, in this game, when you're not paying your subscription. You in essence become 'gimped' Think of it as punishment of a sort for not paying monthly/bi-yearly/yearly.

Inactive = lose access. Nobody is saying that their characters will be deleted, the issue is whether or not people will retain access to all of the character slots that they paid for with cartel market unlocks.

In the past all slots attained by using cartel unlocks where available to a player regardless of their status. The new policy appears to cap the number of unlocked slots that will be available to preferred players to 10 even if they unlocked more than that.

p.s.

I understand that players only get 2 slots if they are free to play, 6 if they are preferred, and 12 if they are subscribed. I also understand that when a person transitions from subscribed to preferred status they currently lose access to 6 of the slots that were granted to them when they were subbed, but that is not what is being discussed here.

Edited by Exly

but if we are interpreting it correctly - they ARE removing acess to character slots we have paid for. as in paid for separately by buying each individual unlock. so.. having fewer baseline slots as preferred is NOT the issue here.

the issue here is whether you get to keep ALL THE EXTRA CHARACTER SLOTS YOU BOUGHT IN ORDER TO HAVE THEM ACTIVE and be able to activate them.

like... right now, on my preferred account, baseline preferred character slots are 6. but becasue I bought unlocks? I can have 14 characters active (I didn't max out the slots on that account).

what we are trying to clarify is - which baselines are changing. if subscribers just get a much higher baseline which they do NOT need to expand separately. for example - right now baseline is 12 - with expac it will be, lets say thirty, so someone who bought 10 slots will have acess to 40 character slots WITHOUT NEEDING TO BUY ANY MORE UNLOCKS. in this case - there is no issue with preferred still keeping only 6 slots as baseline and 10 max unlocks, as they still have acess to every single slot they paid for.

however if the baseline for subscribers for instance remains 12 but we now can add more character slots via cartel market - preferred should still have acess to all of those individually purchased character slots. so... 6 fewer than subscriber max. IF preferred max is 16 no matter how many individual slots were purchased? its a BIG problem.

Once you are preferred you can purchase up to 6 additional character slots for a max of 12. If you were a sub and you stopped your sub then you drop to preferred player with the option to have an additional 10 character slots for a total of 16.

this is incorrect. regardless of how you became preferred - you can purchase the same exact amount of extra slots as preferred that you can as subscriber. what differs is your included baseline. currently 12 for subscribers, 6 for preferred, 2 for f2p (who also can expand their character slots by 10 - making it current maximum of 12 - and yes, you can be a pure f2p account with cartel market unlocks - IF you bought them from GTN with credits or were gifted some)

Edited by Jeweledleah

Ok, given Eric posted 14 was a typo a few posts back, what are people continuing to argue about now? The fact that when you dont sub you have characters over the amount given for your tier go inactive? :rak_02:

They arent going anywhere, you just have to chose wisely who you want to play within that limit is all. :)

Ok, given Eric posted 14 was a typo a few posts back, what are people continuing to argue about now? The fact that when you dont sub you have characters over the amount given for your tier go inactive? :rak_02:

They arent going anywhere, you just have to chose wisely who you want to play within that limit is all. :)

sigh. people are trying to verify what is changing in KOTFE when it comes to maximum character slots. included baseline, or how many you can add through character slot unlocks from the market. because if they are giving us ability to add more character slots through cartel market unlocks? you SHOULD be able to retain those unlocks whether you are subscriber or not.

No, as explained above, the question is if there is a distinction between:

1. I was always preferred. I can only have 16. Nothing taken away. Great. We got it.

2. I was sub. I had more than 16, say 20. I drop to preferred. I have purchased 14 unlocks. In the past was I able to have all 20 unlocked by cashing in all 14 unlocks. Under new system, I can only have 16, even if I cash in all the 14 unlocks. So, effectively, I should move 4 characters to another server before changing to preferred status to continue playing them and buy 10 unlocks. And, if someone already cashed in the unlocks, 4 will be wasted.

Edited by DomiSotto

Note: If you’re a preferred player, the number of active characters you may have per server has been increased to 14. You cannot have more than 14 active characters on a server even with purchased unlocks or Start at 60 characters.

Just want to point out, you quoted the FAQ wrong, as it states 16. Preferred players will have 16 active characters, you might want to re-read the FAQ.

Note: If you’re a preferred player, the number of active characters you may have per server has been increased to 16. You cannot have more than 16 active characters on a server even with purchased unlocks or Start at 60 characters.

Now, you posted this thread at 12:51am Today, and that FAQ was last updated at 6:58am. So, instead of trying to cause an issue with false information, why not make sure you're posting the correct information?

Edited by StarkillerVB

Just want to point out, you quoted the FAQ wrong, as it states 16. Preferred players will have 16 active characters, you might want to re-read the FAQ.

Now, you posted this thread at 12:51am Today, and that FAQ was last updated at 6:58am. So, instead of trying to cause an issue with false information, why not make sure you're posting the correct information?

except the issue still remains. do we or do we not get to keep acess to ALL the purchased unlocks.

does 16 max characters mean that the baseline of how many slots you can add to account via cartel market purchases is still 10? or does this mean that even if you add say... 20 character slots via cartel market unlocks... as preferred you only get to keep acess to 10 of them?

that is STILL a question.

No, as explained above, the question is if there is a distinction between:

1. I was always preferred. I can only have 16. Nothing taken away. Great. We got it.

2. I was sub. I had more than 16, say 20. I drop to preferred. I have purchased 14 unlocks. In the past was I able to have all 20 unlocked by cashing in all 14 unlocks. Under new system, I can only have 16, even if I cash in all the 14 unlocks. So, effectively, I should move 4 characters to another server before changing to preferred status to continue playing them and buy 10 unlocks. And, if someone already cashed in the unlocks, 4 will be wasted.

^ 2 isn't correct today, or next week. No one has ever been able to use 14 unlocks, not subs or preferred. This remains true in 4.0. Subs get 40 slots, that can be upgraded to 50 slots using 10 unlocks. Preferred get 6 slots that can be upgraded to 16 with 10 unlocks.

except the issue still remains. do we or do we not get to keep acess to ALL the purchased unlocks.

does 16 max characters mean that the baseline of how many slots you can add to account via cartel market purchases is still 10? or does this mean that even if you add say... 20 character slots via cartel market unlocks... as preferred you only get to keep acess to 10 of them?

that is STILL a question.

It strikes me as being plain as day, but perhaps other people see it differently...

Today you can buy 10 unlocks, either sub or preferred. Sub has 12, going to 22 slots, preferred has 6 going to 16 slots.

In 4.0, Subs get 40 slots, upgrading to 50 using 10 unlocks, preferred remains as it is today, 6 slots upgraded to 16 using 10 unlocks.

It strikes me as being plain as day, but perhaps other people see it differently...

Today you can buy 10 unlocks, either sub or preferred. Sub has 12, going to 22 slots, preferred has 6 going to 16 slots.

In 4.0, Subs get 40 slots, upgrading to 50 using 10 unlocks, preferred remains as it is today, 6 slots upgraded to 16 using 10 unlocks.

this is quote literally all I wanted verified by official poster. becasue if above is the case? we are all cool.

^ 2 isn't correct today, or next week. No one has ever been able to use 14 unlocks, not subs or preferred. This remains true in 4.0. Subs get 40 slots, that can be upgraded to 50 slots using 10 unlocks. Preferred get 6 slots that can be upgraded to 16 with 10 unlocks.

So, right now, if you had 22 characters (12+10 unlocks), when you dropped on preferred, you got by default 6+10 = 16 characters, you could not purchase 6 more unlocks to enable all the characters?

So, right now, if you had 22 characters (12+10 unlocks), when you dropped on preferred, you got by default 6+10 = 16 characters, you could not purchase 6 more unlocks to enable all the characters?

It appears from the dev post that 10 unlocks(the current limit) is the maximum for preferred, even after KOTFE.

Only subs get to dip in the new 40 character pool.

Edited by Roalmo

That is correct. Preferred today under 3.x cannot have more than 16 toons.

The maximum number of unlocks you can purchase today is and always has been 10.

I understood the limit to be 40 after unlocks were applied. What isn't clear to me is whether subs get an immediate boost of available slots or whether they will have to buy/apply more unlocks to reach the max limit.

But I must admit: I'm going to get the max available regardless. I don't care, I want all the things.

It strikes me as being plain as day,..

That is one of the Q's.

Show us a post from devs that indicates this is the case. I do not believe this has been stated as the case anywhere. It is just an assumption from one (perhaps erroneous) stream comment of "40-50".

This is weird. I have 22 slots and the unlocks apply to any server I am on.

** When purchasing a character slot, you are purchasing the slot for that server only.

That wasn't the case before. They might of worded it wrong.

Actually, at the time I created this thread, the FAQ said 14. When Eric responded that it was a typo, he meant that it was a typo on THEIR part, not mine. They ended up correcting the FAQ wording, based on the multiple inquiries they received.

But the minor clarification would still be nice, in that the site states:

"If you’re a preferred player, the number of active characters you may have per server has been INCREASED to 16." (CAPS added by me)

The word INCREASED seems to suggest, not the continuation of the current practice (6 free slots + 10 purchased slots = 16 total), but that they might be outright giving away a total of 16 slots for preferred accounts. If that's the case, that's quite generous, and I no longer need to purchase any character slots, but like I said, some clarification would be nice.

Although at this point, I'm betting that I'll just find out next Tuesday, and either use the slot I recently purchased, and slowly grab another handful to reach 16, or enjoy the freebies, and put a character slot on the GTN.

Edited by jkutswings

It is still confusing to me.

The new CAP is 40 for Subs. I think Subs will start with 14 slots at release because they said they are adding 2 extra for the free 60. That means that players will have purchased 26 slots to get the new MAX CAP of 40. Now currently if someone purchased 10 slots when Subbed they would reach the MAX CAP of 22. When they dropped to preferred they KEPT those 10 slots that they had PAID for and have access to 16 ACTIVE slots. 6 Base + 10 PAID unlocks.

In the new expansion if they go with how they have treated PAID slots currently, that would mean that Preferred players who had subbed would have 32 MAX ACTIVE slots. 6 base + 26 PAID UNLOCKS.

But what it seems like they are saying is that even if you have PAID for those extra 26 slots you can only access 16 ACTIVE slots. Meaning that they are TAKING AWAY 16 ACTIVE PAID FOR CHARACTER SLOTS.

If that is the case than why would someone buy more slots if they are currently preferred with 10 slots already purchased. That seems like lost revenue to me. Also that is very anti consumer by TAKING AWAY PAID UNLOCKS.

When you drop to preferred from SUB currently you only lose the 6 slots are part of the subscription NOT the extra slots you PAID TO UNLOCK separately.

Edited by dashriprock

It is still confusing to me.

The new CAP is 40 for Subs. I think Subs will start with 14 slots at release because they said they are adding 2 extra for the free 60. That means that players will have purchased 26 slots to get the new MAX CAP of 40. Now currently if someone purchased 10 slots when Subbed they would reach the MAX CAP of 22. When they dropped to preferred they KEPT those 10 slots that they had PAID for and have access to 16 ACTIVE slots. 6 Base + 10 PAID unlocks.

In the new expansion if they go with how they have treated PAID slots currently, that would mean that Preferred players who had subbed would have 32 MAX ACTIVE slots. 6 base + 26 PAID UNLOCKS.

But what it seems like they are saying is that even if you have PAID for those extra 26 slots you can only access 16 ACTIVE slots. Meaning that they are TAKING AWAY 16 ACTIVE PAID FOR CHARACTER SLOTS.

If that is the case than why would someone buy more slots if they are currently preferred with 10 slots already purchased. That seems like lost revenue to me. Also that is very anti consumer by TAKING AWAY PAID UNLOCKS.

When you drop to preferred from SUB currently you only lose the 6 slots are part of the subscription NOT the extra slots you PAID TO UNLOCK separately.

Well PAID is relative. For example i have never PAID for any of mine character slots. I bought them all with credits on GTN. With your logic you would say similar things about credit escrow. For example: I PAID for CC, bought items with them and then sold it on GTN and now you TAKE AWAY my credits into escrow which i PAID for?

TAKING AWAY is relative too. They are not TAKING it AWAY, they just restricting you from accessing it, slots and chars are still there but you cant touch them, because you stopped paying for access to them. I see it just like another preferred restriction you pay to have access to it, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by ShawDou

Inactive = lose access. Nobody is saying that their characters will be deleted, the issue is whether or not people will retain access to all of the character slots that they paid for with cartel market unlocks.

In the past all slots attained by using cartel unlocks where available to a player regardless of their status. The new policy appears to cap the number of unlocked slots that will be available to preferred players to 10 even if they unlocked more than that.

p.s.

I understand that players only get 2 slots if they are free to play, 6 if they are preferred, and 12 if they are subscribed. I also understand that when a person transitions from subscribed to preferred status they currently lose access to 6 of the slots that were granted to them when they were subbed, but that is not what is being discussed here.

I was answering the ones who were saying that the game was deleting their toons or taking toons away. They just become inactive.

but if we are interpreting it correctly - they ARE removing acess to character slots we have paid for. as in paid for separately by buying each individual unlock. so.. having fewer baseline slots as preferred is NOT the issue here.

the issue here is whether you get to keep ALL THE EXTRA CHARACTER SLOTS YOU BOUGHT IN ORDER TO HAVE THEM ACTIVE and be able to activate them.

like... right now, on my preferred account, baseline preferred character slots are 6. but becasue I bought unlocks? I can have 14 characters active (I didn't max out the slots on that account).

what we are trying to clarify is - which baselines are changing. if subscribers just get a much higher baseline which they do NOT need to expand separately. for example - right now baseline is 12 - with expac it will be, lets say thirty, so someone who bought 10 slots will have acess to 40 character slots WITHOUT NEEDING TO BUY ANY MORE UNLOCKS. in this case - there is no issue with preferred still keeping only 6 slots as baseline and 10 max unlocks, as they still have acess to every single slot they paid for.

however if the baseline for subscribers for instance remains 12 but we now can add more character slots via cartel market - preferred should still have acess to all of those individually purchased character slots. so... 6 fewer than subscriber max. IF preferred max is 16 no matter how many individual slots were purchased? its a BIG problem.

this is incorrect. regardless of how you became preferred - you can purchase the same exact amount of extra slots as preferred that you can as subscriber. what differs is your included baseline. currently 12 for subscribers, 6 for preferred, 2 for f2p (who also can expand their character slots by 10 - making it current maximum of 12 - and yes, you can be a pure f2p account with cartel market unlocks - IF you bought them from GTN with credits or were gifted some)

I understand now. I dunno. It sounds like they're increasing it for subs from 12 to 14 but no one else. And it sounds like preferred and f2p keep what they have now. I am unclear if they can get more or not. It is confusing.