The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Fix GTN sales of millions for common mats

WygaMan

Simple; remove comma and force whole number at unit price.

The GTN is being flooded by crooks that are selling crafting materials at ridiculous prices. Over 12 million credits for a stack of 10 grade 9 biochem mats??? The reasons why I believe this persists is because of the stupid comma as well as the ability to have a decimal point in a sale. Below is an example:

x99 mats sold for 50000 = 505.50 each

x99 mats sold for 49000000 = 494,949.50 each

Depending on the resolution for your monitor the ',' and the '.' look very close and at first glance the mats being sold for an unbelievable 49 million credits seem cheaper. I understand that with more effort and time taken when determining purchases this can be avoided, but why not change a system that is easily being used to scam credits, And it would be an easy fix: Remove the comma and make unit price sales round down to a whole number or make the lazy seller be forced to make a whole number at the unit price.

x99 mats sold for 50000 = 505 each

x99 mats sold for 49000000 = 494949 each

I think Implementing this would stop scum from scamming credits off of simple mistakes, which, I think most of us can agree would be a good thing.

sigh

it's not a scam.

Pay attention to what you're doing on the GTN and you won't get burned. There's a frickin confirmation window with the item you're buying 'and' the price you're paying for it. Take a second and review the window and this'll never get you.

I lost 4mil credits a long time ago to this....tactic....and I've paid very close attention to my purchases ever since.

The GTN is being flooded by crooks that are selling crafting materials at ridiculous prices. Over 12 million credits for a stack of 10 grade 9 biochem mats??? The reasons why I believe this persists is because of the stupid comma as well as the ability to have a decimal point in a sale. Below is an example:

x99 mats sold for 50000 = 505.50 3 digits left of <something> two digits to right this is a 3 digit number

x99 mats sold for 49000000 = 494,949.50 each 6 digits to the left of <something> 2 digits to the right

Depending on the resolution for your monitor the ',' and the '.' look very close and at first glance the mats being sold for an unbelievable 49 million credits seem cheaper. I understand that with more effort and time taken when determining purchases this can be avoided, but why not change a system that is easily being used to scam credits, And it would be an easy fix: Remove the comma and make unit price sales round down to a whole number or make the lazy seller be forced to make a whole number at the unit price.

I think Implementing this would stop scum from scamming credits off of simple mistakes, which, I think most of us can agree would be a good thing.

apparently counting is hard...

i'm not even going to go into the how to count decimals and how to do numbers larger than 999 they teach that stuff in elementary school.

apparently counting is hard...

i'm not even going to go into the how to count decimals and how to do numbers larger than 999 they teach that stuff in elementary school.

Actually, with common core standards, I'm not so sure they do anymore. There's a real concept of "don't do the math as is, try and break it down into really tiny easy problems so it's not hard". This is to subtract something like 48-24, not on something hard like calculus.

Isn't there suppose to be a warning if you are about to make a really big purchase? I feel for anyone that fallen prey to this. Can't tell you how many times the warning message I got for almost sending wrong credits/items to an alt. One time was for a brand new toon which represented every credit I had in the game. :o

Wait I just had an idea. I think I've done this. I use the same tactics as stores do instead of charging 20 dollars I'll label it as 19.99. I always price my mats in the middle of the pack though so I don't think I tricked anyone into thinking they were paying twenty when I was asking for two thousand.

Edited by Lecaja

*clicks "sort by price" twice....

*slows down and pays attention to what I'm selecting

And I haven't been taken in by this tactic yet... Go figure :rolleyes:

Neither have i becase its not a scam ...its completely buyer error.... but the reason this topic keeps coming up is becase its totally an outlandish idea that someone actually pay attention to what they are doing and take responsibility for their own errors... soo it must be "x"'s fault ( x= anything or anyone anything but them) **facepalm**

Neither have i becase its not a scam ...its completely buyer error.... but the reason this topic keeps coming up is becase its totally an outlandish idea that someone actually pay attention to what they are doing and take responsibility for their own errors... soo it must be "x"'s fault ( x= anything or anyone anything but them) **facepalm**

It is always someone else's fault, never your own.

There is no scam.

People are free to put what ever they want, at what ever price they want, in the GTN.

People are also free to purchase what ever items they want at what ever price they feel appropriate.

The best advice Bioware and Eric ever gave regarding items sold on the GTN:

Take Your Time!

/end thread PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All self-righteous posturing about "buyer beware" aside, can someone make a convincing case for why we need two decimal place precision on unit prices.

Sense of accuracy, maybe?

Okay, throwing a few numbers around to create an example.... Alright, let's suppose that you see the following two listings:

15 units for 1004 credits total

20 units for 1331 credits total

Let's say that the unit price only shows values rounded to the nearest whole number. Both listings will show a unit price of 67 credits and you might be inclined to just grab the first listing because it's a lower total. But with those two decimal places we see the unit prices as 66.93 for the first listing and 66.55 for the second listing, revealing that it was actually the second listing that was the better deal.

You know what? I kinda agree with you on your points with the comma. I mean I never been a victim of it. However, because I am a nice guy and can understand the points outside my little box unlike some people in this community. I think the points you made are really well done.

x99 mats sold for 50000 = 505.50 each

x99 mats sold for 49000000 = 494,949.50 each

Or you could just stop being lazy and select the price brackets during your search and limit the amount you want to spend.

The derpishness is strong in this thread. Cover me, I'll handle it myself.

IF... there are decimal points in the per-unit price, then it's a stack, and you're not paying for one unit.

Pay attention to the LISTING price. You know, the whole number that you're going to be paying.

any time I see mats listed at insanely high prices, i figure it's a gold seller trying to deliver.