Crafting Changes in Fallen Empire

TaitWatson

Well, I was right in my Good Bye post, a 4 year crafting subscriber will be EXACTLY the same as a brand new bought level 60. What a way to **** over your loyal fans...

A brand new level 60 will be better off. It won't see the schematics and work on at least 6 toons go down the drain and does not have to start over six times.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Eric/BW:

First of all (well, second of all since I already replied once) I want to say that overall the changes to crafting look very good. That said, I have some questions about how exactly some of these mechanics are being implemented, but I'll try to break up the replies a bit to allow more focused answers.

RE: Operations gear:

Elder Game Crafting:

All Modifications acquired from Operations can be Reverse Engineered for their Schematics.

Operation Gear can no longer be Reverse Engineered.

Crafters can now make gear equivalent to Story and Hard Mode Operations gear:

This gear can be acquired from their respective Trainer.

This crafted gear, when Reverse Engineered is equivalent to Story Mode Operations gear.

When this Story Mode equivalent gear is Reverse Engineered, a player can acquire the schematic to craft Hard Mode Operations equivalent gear.

This new gear has a guaranteed Reverse Engineer chance.

This new gear is sellable & tradable.

This new gear requires a new Crafting material that can only be acquired by completing your personal Conquest goals.

This gear does not have set bonuses.

Relics cannot be crafted in this method.

Your of the term "gear" is ambiguous. Gear (generically) includes seven armor pieces, MH, OH, 2 Implants, an Earpiece, and 2 Relics. Modifications are barrel, hilt, armoring, mod, enhancement, and color crystal Armorings, MH, and OH are a shell plus 2-4 Modifications. I can't tell if you are counting Modifications as a [proper] subset of Gear or an entirely distinct set.

You say that the Modifications from Operation gear can be RE'd but the Gear can't, but that schematics for SM gear (other than Relics) can be learned from the trainers. I take this to mean that schematics for Modifications CANNOT be learned from the trainers (i.e., you have to RE drops) but that the armor/weapon shells, implants and earpieces CAN be. Operations Relics would have to be obtained directly from the operations.

Is this correct, or can you actually learn the SM Modification schematics from vendors *as well* as from RE'ing the dropped gear. Assuming the usual low trainer cost for schematics, it doesn't seem like this would make sense, since people would just buy the schematics and learn them well before having spare operations Modifications to RE.

Also, is there any reason for letting players craft (or buy crafted) operations level implants and earpieces, but not Relics? Just curious.

Also, will Artificers be able to learn any Relic schematics? Right now they can learn to craft Basic Comm level relics.

Edited by eartharioch

What about the gathering node decorations for the materials that are being removed/converted? Are they being converted to normal decorations without the utility, being left as is with the ability to harvest the equivalent materials, being converted entirely to the node of the equivalent material? Some of these are unique looking decorations and it would be a huge shame to lose them. (*hugs her Toxic Phosphorescent Stem tightly*)

Also, correct me if I am wrong as I never done crafting.

could people craft hm BIS HM gear in pre 3.0? If so, whats the exactly different here? (genuine question)

2.X it was always one tier behind (crafting 180 while 186 was BiS). Just before 2.0 you could craft BiS (except set bonuses). The difference was you could only get the mods from operations or very expensively off the GTN to reverse engineer. The ones from the GTN came from someone that got them from an operation, RE'd, and then crafted to sell.

Now it seems they are free from a trainer.

Also, correct me if I am wrong as I never done crafting.

could people craft hm BIS HM gear in pre 3.0? If so, whats the exactly different here? (genuine question)

Pre 2.0 you could craft the BiS stuff. It doesn't seem like much of a difference here. Just a revert. However, this only holds true if the token pieces from raids are actually the BiS and what you craft from trainer schems are just a high endurance version (not BiS) of the token stuff. If thats the case, then there is the difference, because in pre 2.0 you could craft the low end. mods and stuff.

Serious question: what is Artifice supposed to do now? We can't craft enhancements, and the other things we can craft (crystals and dyes) are all available on the cartel market and in packs for people to buy, and the schematics Artificers can learn are *very* limited compared to those available. If you further filter the crystal schematics down to "+41 available at Level 10", then we have TWO colors that we can craft, compared to the cartel market's bajillion.....

Are we relegated to just making hilts? For one slot on half of the classes? That seems insanely not "balanced" compared to the crafting skills that can make armorings, mods, and enhancements for 7+ pieces for EVERY class in the game, and some of those also get to make earpieces........

Also, we need to get achieve personal conquest goals to get crafting mats, but you're shutting down conquest for the first month of the expansion? Do. Not. Want.

All unlocked Crew Skill Missions are now fully visible and no longer randomized.

Finally! Thank you for that.

Issue: Since you are moving Enhancements to Cybertech, please tell me my toons won't need to re-reverse engineer all of the options for purples again. If so, that's effed up. Same with Armorings for Armor/Synth and Augments across the board. I'm going to be pretty annoyed to have to re-reverse all that junk.

Completely disagreeing with the removal of enhancements from Artifice.

Artifice got the shaft pretty hard, although the ability to craft Ops Hilts will be sweet for PvErs.

I'm just happy that it looks like I don't need to bother to re-augment many of my characters.

Agreed. That will be nice, although I think it's pretty cheesy that they didn't create a new tier for crafting in an expansion.

So if the Kits are becoming Mk-8 what will happen to the gear slots themselves that are already augg'esd? I would think they become Mk-8 as well but then again I hope it's not left in the game as saying Mk-11 on augmented gear Edited by FerkWork

Serious question: what is Artifice supposed to do now? We can't craft enhancements, and the other things we can craft (crystals and dyes) are all available on the cartel market and in packs for people to buy, and the schematics Artificers can learn are *very* limited compared to those available. If you further filter the crystal schematics down to "+41 available at Level 10", then we have TWO colors that we can craft, compared to the cartel market's bajillion.....

Are we relegated to just making hilts? For one slot on half of the classes? That seems insanely not "balanced" compared to the crafting skills that can make armorings, mods, and enhancements for 7+ pieces for EVERY class in the game, and some of those also get to make earpieces........

Also, we need to get achieve personal conquest goals to get crafting mats, but you're shutting down conquest for the first month of the expansion? Do. Not. Want.

People still buy my color crystals, and I make more selling Black/Gray dye modules than I do trying to sell my Black/Black or White/Black dyes.

Since they lowered mod cost to 2 coms I havent' been able to sale any high end hilts(tbh I haven't been making any hilts), most of what I sell are dyes, color crystals and enhancements, just now my cybertech is going to be my enhancement/augment crafter.

I probably should make an Armortech/Armstech since their augs are going to be the highly sought after ones.

@Everyone RE: Artifice and Cybertech

Cybertech was the runaway crafting leader for 2.x, only to be replaced by Artifice in 3.x.

Out of the three main modifications -- Armorings, Mods, and Earpieces, Armorings are the least important. Basic Comm gear has the same Armorings as you can make with Cybertech (and only contained Main Stat and Endurance). Comm gear Mods had a worse stat allocation than crafted, and since armoring had to match the gear piece, you often had to buy multiple copies of the same gear piece to get the pow/crit allocation you wanted. Basic Comm earpieces had a worse stat allocation than crafted ones.

Splitting armorings between two significantly less diverse crew skills is not unfair, especially since we now get Enhancements. In fact, I'd argue that from a balance (as opposed to lore-ish) standpoint, Cybertech's position actually improved.

Artifice has Dyes (the absolute biggest moneymaker in the game), relics, hilts, enhancements, and color crystals. I made over a millions cr a day doing next to nothing with artifice, I didn't even bother crafting on my other chars more than 1/week or so. 3.x Artifice is more crazy OP than 2.x Cybertech. Am I going to be disappointed to share the wealth? Sure, but it's not an unneeded nerf.

Edited by eartharioch

First this:

"All Modifications acquired from Operations can be Reverse Engineered for their Schematics."

Then, one line later:

"Operation Gear can no longer be Reverse Engineered."

Seems contradictory, no?:confused:

The shells themselves. Previously you could as a synth weaver RE the shells of 192 or 180 before that. Now you won't be able to do it with the new gear.

Unless they mean something else lol.

A brand new level 60 will be better off. It won't see the schematics and work on at least 6 toons go down the drain and does not have to start over six times.

depends on the crafter. armormechs and synthweavers (the big winners with these changes) stand to come out ahead, having access to a whole host of archived recipies whose apperance may prove harder to get. now. obselete recpies could be a big money maker on RP servers

Nice to see Artifice got shafted.

I was hoping for an overhaul of crystals, maybe removing the stats from them completely and replacing it by something like a focusing crystal with stats. Because what's the point of crafting low level crystals when everyone just buys a level 10 +41 crystal from the CM?

I have to echo this. On the main page, one of the primary reasons for this change was listed as:

*Balance the Crafting skills, so that the benefits of all Crafting skills are relatively equal.

Now, Artifices can make: Color crystals, Lightsaber hilts, Enhancements, color dyes, stronghold stuff, lightsabers themselves, and Shields and gens (offhands)

With this new change, we're losing Enhancements.

We've long since been pushed out of usefulness in the color crystal division. 98% of the time, the Cartel market has a better color choice, and all of those crystals are +41 (Max) and usable at level 10. it's no longer a market worth getting into.

Like color crystals, the Cartel Market has superior choice and control over this particular area, and like with color crystals, it has relatively -no- impact on your character other than a visual.

Lightsaber hilts: As pointed out, this is one slot on half the character classes.

Lightsabers, shields and generators: extremely limited value. Customs almost always stat better than blues/purples. The custom lightsabers are also again outweighed by Cartel market and drops which almost always have better models. The offhand customs have no models and may as well not exist. Their cost doesn't equate to their value.

And every class has stronghold stuff.

So tell me again how we're equal? Even Armstech sits prettier than Artifice. They've got a wider range of weaponry they can craft (Assault cannon, blasters, blaster rifles, sniper rifles) They can craft barrels (like us, but these also fit into the offhand of both agent/smugglers and Mercs vs mara/sents being the only one for artifice) AND they can craft Aug kits and augments... which are both useful.

Artifice got hosed. They might as well divide up the 3 items we can make to other crafters and do away with artifice all togethers at this point.

Hilts to Armstech, Crystals to SynthWeaver's and Dyes to Armormech's. Relics can no longer be crafted and they gave enhancements to Cybertechs already. I can't move a color crystal for any more than 40k these days and getting the mats is more and more expensive all the time. Everyone and their brother sells dyes and hilts don't move worth a darn now that sooooo many more folks are playing Bounty Hunters/Troopers and Snipers/slingers.

Edited by RiVaN_

Operation Gear can no longer be Reverse Engineered.

What does this mean for current Campaign, Arkanian, Underworld, etc gear. I know many of these patterns and crafting them is a big source of income for me. Are these still going to be considered operation gear? Are they even still going to be available? I will still be able to craft the pieces I currently have patterns for correct?

First this:

"All Modifications acquired from Operations can be Reverse Engineered for their Schematics."

Then, one line later:

"Operation Gear can no longer be Reverse Engineered."

Seems contradictory, no?:confused:

How so? Modifications and the gear itself is not the same thing.

Nice to see Artifice got shafted.

I was hoping for an overhaul of crystals, maybe removing the stats from them completely and replacing it by something like a focusing crystal with stats. Because what's the point of crafting low level crystals when everyone just buys a level 10 +41 crystal from the CM?

Cause sometimes people want a purple, yellow, green, blue or red crystal without it being neon, some impossible combination of colors, or they don't want to spend 1,000,000+ credits for the same stat they could get on a 50k crystal that doesn't look like it belongs in a Rave Party.

I make about 750k daily from my color crystals, whereas my CM crystals sit there getting undercut to death for days.

I'm sorry but does anybody see an issue with this crafting update? this will pretty much make crafting and farming a useless source of income when they are the biggest source of income. If gear is this easy all max levels will be crafting it and the competition to sell will be so high the product will be undersold so much it will be pointless. and if there are no longer levels for farming mats how is farming yavin going to work? we are already to filled with matt gathers to gain much. i dont get how anyone will make money.....