Treek/HK-51 Nerfed

Holocron

So as most know Treek is hands down the best Healer/Tank companion in game, and even better than some players. Also HK-51 is the best companion DPS in the game.

Now with the coming kotfe companion changes, and being able to switch all companions to each role, does this mean that Treek/HK just got a inadvertent huge nerf? Since they have essentially standardized all companion dps/healing across the board based on stance, what is going to make those two companions stand out anymore? What would be the incentive to even get them if this is true, other than purely visual?

Edited by Holocron

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly yes.

Though I suspect more for Treek than for HK since Treek might be the template for healing/tanking in general. This was visible also during the stream where you get another companion who was used as tank and healer but also cast heals in tanking mode.

I hope nothing makes them stand out except for their generic crafting bonuses and maybe a unique ability. But companions that are inherently better than others shouldn't exist.

Their crafting bonuses are being removed for kotfe.

I hope nothing makes them stand out except for their generic crafting bonuses and maybe a unique ability. But companions that are inherently better than others shouldn't exist.

Why not? Choosing which companion to use is a part of the complexity of the game. You have to learn what companions are good at. Making all companions "the same" is yet another dumbing down of the game. Keep going like this and you'll have SWTOR as easy as Dora the Explorer.

So as most know Treek is hands down the best Healer/Tank companion in game, and even better than some players. Also HK-51 is the best companion DPS in the game.

Now with the coming kotfe companion changes, and being able to switch all companions to each role, does this mean that Treek/HK just got a inadvertent huge nerf? Since they have essentially standardized all companion dps/healing across the board absed on stance, what is going to make those two companions stand out anymore? What would be the incentive to even get them if this is true, other than purely visual?

treek and hk in my experience are not any better than the original companions. treeks healing isnt top notch, some enemies i run across are pretty tough but doable, treek isnt fool proof, its the same for a standard healer comp. be aware that what im writing below is what i suspect will happen. only an official blog can confirm one way or the other..

now its shown that companions have 5 abilities per role, so for treek is sort of like an exchange to her abilities by removing a few but also adding the ability to be even more flexible in a fight by having the ability to dps as well and getting abilities there as well. hk gets nerfed in his dps abilities and a few removed but he actually gained a large buff because of his expanded role capacity and significantly more abilities due to tank and healing.

since the companions are gonna be like that, thats what we are getting, so really i cant see the price tag for treek remaining where it is any longer for what is essentially just another companion in the end like every other. i suspect even the ships droid can tank and dps now when kotfe launches.

Edited by Celise

Why not? Choosing which companion to use is a part of the complexity of the game. You have to learn what companions are good at. Making all companions "the same" is yet another dumbing down of the game. Keep going like this and you'll have SWTOR as easy as Dora the Explorer.

having 2 companions better than the rest adds nothing to 'complexity'

Edited by Faardor

It already is. Well, at least for some of us

treek and hk in my experience are not any better than the original companions. treeks healing isnt top notch, some enemies i run across are pretty tough but doable, treek isnt fool proof, its the same for a standard healer comp. be aware that what im writing below is what i suspect will happen. only an official blog can confirm one way or the other..

now its shown that companions have 5 abilities per role, so for treek is sort of like an exchange to her abilities by removing a few but also adding the ability to be even more flexible in a fight by having the ability to dps as well and getting abilities there as well. hk gets nerfed in his dps abilities and a few removed but he actually gained a large buff because of his expanded role capacity and significantly more abilities due to tank and healing.

since the companions are gonna be like that, thats what we are getting, so really i cant see the price tag for treek remaining where it is any longer for what is essentially just another companion in the end like every other. i suspect even the ships droid can tank and dps now when kotfe launches.

That was pretty much my point about us losing the incentive to get them. Other than purely visual, I don't see any point in players wasting money on that option now. Also, with the inclusion of combat pet companions filling the same rolls too, I wonder if they will even try and incentivize people with perks beyond mere looks.

That was pretty much my point about us losing the incentive to get them. Other than purely visual, I don't see any point in players wasting money on that option now. Also, with the inclusion of combat pet companions filling the same rolls too, I wonder if they will even try and incentivize people with perks beyond mere looks.

People will still want and get them.

The same reason people get other speeders other than the free ones most of us get, even though they all do the exact same thing!

I have Treek on three of my toons and I run around with predominantly healer companions out on all of them.

I've never really noticed Treek being better. I never use her tank nice because companions make crappy tanks at the best of times and they've never been is any use to me.

I can kill faster than dps companions and tank better than tank companions even if I'm squishy dps, but I can't usually heal like even a halfassed healer while doing so.

So... Healer companions are about near all I ever use

Treek's fine. I enjoy the comical ewok chatter almost as much as Blizz's jawa jabber.

Except Treek's actually useful as a healer while poor Blizz is a tank and barely serviceable as even that, like all the companion tanks.

Running around with the comp healers doesn't feel much different. Treek had better armor rating because heavy armor > medium.

/shrug

As someone that uses healers exclusively, gotta say, not really feeling a mammoth imbalance here. Or even a meaningful one.

Most likely the change to companions was, in part, fueled by the development of the combat only true "pets" that we saw Musco highlight on the stream. These will be in the cartel market in one form or another.

I've never understood people who claim that Talos Drellik is a better healer than Quinn, or vice versa. I suspect that with equal amounts of presence and identical gear profiles (like the 192 stuff from Yavin) they ought to be identical across all cunning based healer companions. Similarly, I imagine the devs have already balanced the "heal per second" output of aim healers like Elara Dorne, the ship droids, and Treek. There are probably some differences but the abilities are essentially the same across all the healing companions ... they all have one cleanse, one channel, and a couple of burst heals/AoE heals.

I agree there is a game-education aspect that will be lost with the companions, but at the same time people don't want to be forced into using a companion simply because of the role. The Sith Warrior is a recurring example of a class often forced to use their cunning healer for gameplay sake even though they may not like it much (spoilers withheld). People can use the companion they want for the content that is irrelevant to the story, which gives the perception of choice or control, which people seem to prefer.

I don't know if this is ignorance or you just being a hypocrite, or simply arguing for the sake of arguing...

You realize that a companion like Treek, who is basically the best of the best when it comes to companions and mechanics, actually is your "yet another dumbing down of the game"...as you no longer need to select any other companions, because Treek is the best of the best.

"Keep going like this and you'll have SWTOR as easy as Dora the Explorer"

I'm really looking forward to the change in 4.0, because it means that a player can choose their companion based on story purposes, and not worry about anything else.

Edited by VitalityPrime

Now with the coming kotfe companion changes, and being able to switch all companions to each role, does this mean that Treek/HK just got a inadvertent huge nerf? Since they have essentially standardized all companion dps/healing across the board based on stance, what is going to make those two companions stand out anymore? What would be the incentive to even get them if this is true, other than purely visual?

I guess so. I mean HK will still have his awesome 1-shot ability, presumably. But Treek might be a whole lot less appealing if other companions can heal equally well without all the squeaky chitter chatter.

Except for when you pay for them, they should. If they wanted treek to be a standard comp, then they shouldn't have attempted to milk her as a top merc on the cm. Now she always has to be the standard for Alpha kath hound, until they introduce a more powerful companion.

Seriously? Do you really not get it? There is no real choice in the current system. Once again this is simply the illusion of choice.

If you are DPS, then your companion was either the Tank or Heal companion (limited choice).

If you are Tank, then your companion was most likely Heal companion (very limited choice).

If you are Heal, then your companion was most likely Tank companion (very limited choice).

Then along comes HK and more so Treek who upset the "balance" of the companions and are by far the best choices for Tank/Heal (Treek) and DPS (HK). So now your "choice" has been narrowed even further than it was before.

There was NO real choice here. Then new system will actual restore choice and allow us to use whichever companion we want.

EDIT:

Not to mention the fact that some classes got screwed under the current system by not receiving the appropriate "choice" companion until late in the their class story.

Edited by Nireos

So referring to the game as "Dora the Explorer" is a compliment to the game? Or at least not an insult, in your eyes?

I was making a comparison about skill levels making the game easy, not because the game itself if easy. Although it is easy, and one reason why I'm still here.