Ages Of Players

Dasih

Keep in mind we can't determine the average age of the player base ... only the average age of those who posted on this thread on the SWTOR forums.

It wouldn't surprise me if most people who play never come to the forums at all.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41. Like many others though I started my hobby of playing games very early...I think I was about 8 which puts the year at 1982. I played on the Commodore Vic 20. the C-64 play....remember Zork , Planetfall , Suspended...all those great InfoCom games...i loved those things...I was highly addicted to the Bard's Tale and Might and Magic series as well back then and who could forget Ultima as well? :)

Anyway I also played the table top games....served as a Dungeon Master for a couple summers in Junior High and I think even into the first year of high school. Played GURPS , Middle Earth, Battle Tech, Twilight 2000 and Car Wars as well as far as table top games go.

And of course with computer games I played just about all the major MMOs.....WoW, GW1 (and 2), AEON (hated it btw - that was short lived) , Rift, UO (bought the CE at original release in the late 90's...what was that around 96-97-ish? I forget)...

I'm a huge Star Wars fan...so I had to play this game....I really don't give a rat's arse about the group content in this game to be 100% honest....so people that say "This game is turning into KOTOR3" or whatever.....my view is "ok...awesome....what's your point?"..... The story of the characters is my main point for playing this game. I don't care about FP, Ops, PVP.......(BUT for clarity....Its my own choice I don't do group content much now...because I did it so much in all the other mmo's I've played.....that it turned me off of it....for years I raided 4-5 days a week in WoW, plus I've raided in Wildstar which is FAR more challenging raid content than any other game I listed in this post....the politics of raiding...the whining and the egos of people in the raid and the chore of it just burned me out...).....

Edited by Shirx

Updated stats (based on 92 cognizable responses) mean = 38.93...; median = 38.5; mode = 47; youngest = 12; oldest = 67.

I still think the underlying data is not as strong as it could be. We're only looking at data from voluntarily provided responses to a forum post, which is going to be a small cross-section of the entire SWTOR community. Not everyone who plays the game looks at the forums. Not everyone who looks at the forums posts. I still think the average age of 39 is slightly higher than it likely really is.

I seem to recall only one mention of '12', so I would like to point something out. If I missed someone else, then.. my mistake.

Fine. But it also means your age is, according to the OP, "not cognizable," meaning your answer has no meaning in context of the OP's request.

Now, who's 67? I must have missed that one.

Hm, so had I stated a random, "cognizable" number it would have had more meaning?

I'm 55

First video game was the Pong machine in the bowling alley, next to the foosball table, circa 1972

First home computer was an Apple IIc, mostly played the original Might & Magic, (NOT Heroes of). First PC was a 386DX40 running DOS 5.0

First computers I used at work were a cluster of big DEC mainframes running VAX/VMS 5, connected to monochrome dumb terminals.

First MMO was Anarchy Online, summer of 2001

43. I started with Atari,pinball,and arcade games (I lived across the street from an arcade).

My first MMO was Ultima Online....Fond memories of stealing house deeds while the door was open....LOL..and massing several guilds to kill the entire town....Been here off and on for two years,recently decided to come back and actually sub for once...Haven't regretted it. Games are my life....as sad as that sounds...because I'm disabled and pretty much a shut in... PTSD, severe chronic depression,anxiety,social phobia,and a lack of RL friends...Yeah..."outside" is not a good place for me... :(

But I am a survivor,and I endure...

I am a 61 year old female and I started playing MMORPG's beginning with Star War Galaxies. I stopped playing when they started dumbing down everything. I then started beta tested and played several games such as Star Trek, DC, Lord of the Rings and others. I am curious to find out the ages of other players that may be close to my age.

I am a 52-year-old female player, and when I say to most people that I'm probably older than them, they usually doubt it. You are the first to beat my score! :)

I've been playing MMOs since 1995 in The Realm, then went on to UO, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, then WoW and a whole lot of WoW-clones until I finally got tired of spreadsheet-like gameplay and retreated to single player games and LOTRO.

I played SWTOR in open beta, came back for the purple crystals, and stayed *because* they "dumbed down" everything. I'm disabled and my finger mobility isn't what it used to be, and I've been a big fan of BioWare RPGs since Baldur's Gate.

12 according to my wife :( I need to stop my tantrums....:rak_03:

Haha!

Yeah I get from mine.... your almost 43, when the F**k are you going to quit gaming? isn't time to grow up!?

My response... I don't ever want to grow up.

33. Got my start on muds, moved to Phantasy star online for the dreamcast, jumped into Everquest months before Shadows of Luclin came out. Putz'd around on Diablo 2 and several others I cannot remember.

Started WoW off and on in '04. Sunk some decent time into Galaxies before the revamp. Wasn't anything special, overhyped, went back to ragnarok online for a few. Countless other WoW killers for a bit. Landed Into Eve Online. Still playing, crying myself to sleep some nights. Eve peels away your soul.

Been on swtor steadily for a few years, wouldn't trade it for the world.

Forgot to mention all the free to play mmos I filled the blanks with. Such as Shaiya, wu online, some samurai one, etc. Etc. Forgotten but still online lol.

Haha!

Yeah I get from mine.... your almost 43, when the F**k are you going to quit gaming? isn't time to grow up!?

My response... I don't ever want to grow up.

I just remind my wife that I could go back to blowing money in strip clubs, drinking, tuning my car, hunting, fishing, and gun collecting like I did in my early twenties, for a hobby instead.

That 14.99 a month suddenly isn't so bad lol.

34 here.

First and only true MMO though I first started out "gaming" on the ole commode 64 which I have a fond memory at an unknown age of typing things into the prompt like "how do you make a bomb" hoping it would tell me and now here we are some 15-20 years from that time and I really can do so with google ( forget bing, meh horrible ), future predictions perhaps. =)

The rest of my life story is way too cool to post sorry but it doesn't involve bomb making. ;)

On a more serious note I've noticed a distinct lack of teenagers in this thread which I find rather surprising to be honest ( less than 5 over 15 pages at a guess? ) wonder if that's from not many playing or just not bothering to post/read forums.

34 here.

First and only true MMO though I first started out "gaming" on the ole commode 64 which I have a fond memory at an unknown age of typing things into the prompt like "how do you make a bomb" hoping it would tell me and now here we are some 15-20 years from that time and I really can do so with google ( forget bing, meh horrible ), future predictions perhaps. =)

The rest of my life story is way too cool to post sorry but it doesn't involve bomb making. ;)

On a more serious note I've noticed a distinct lack of teenagers in this thread which I find rather surprising to be honest ( less than 5 over 15 pages at a guess? ) wonder if that's from not many playing or just not bothering to post/read forums.

I would suspect it has more to do with not having posting rights (IE: Teens more likely playing F2P and cant post here).

Im surprised by some numbers myself but I think in general terms the sub base would average out to be older players while the F2P crowd would be more teens and pre teens.

But thats being overly general in conclusion

I'm 15, been playing since I was 13. In that time been officers in quite a few guilds (The biggest being "Eternal Suns" and that's actually a kind of funny story...), run my own guilds (Started one when I was 13, crashed and burned. Invictus is doing well, but it's fairly new.) Frankly I'm curious about the age group as well. One would assume in a video game a good amount of the players are kids/teenagers, yet most of the players (At least competent, I know too well why kids are normally disliked in these games) I've met have been 21+.