There's a special place in hell for....

Conundrum-NSA

I think we can all agree that the OP is probably a bad person. Of course I have no definitive proof of this & I won't use what he does in a computer game against him because it doesn't count, but the OP is the only person in the thread who has said terrible things about people.

OP is bad.

Edited by Distracted

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its ok. sarcasm is a nice release and helps people feel better. are you better now?

edit:

and the OPs defensive mechanism took a hold of him and he lashed out at folks. That is really apples and oranges to the original discussion and its a kin to the sort of thing youre doing now. you just cant see the Forrest for the trees.

Edited by Qouivandes

So is not a open world loot chest fair game to the first person to get to it and loot it? I don't get mad if someone rushes past me to get one, but it is also the reason I loot them first, before attacking. People can be nice, or douchy, but either way you don't really have a right to be mad at them.

No that would be the equivalent of looking at the item but leaving it on the shelf and getting mad at someone who walked by and grabbed it because you were thinking about taking it but didn't actually take it.

Sure, sure, if one wants to excuse being a d-bag to everyone around them and then crowing "there's no rule against it, losers!"

Thing is the OP is literally saying that someone who clicked on the box he looked at is a bad person in reality, which is fundamentally false.

It's not just a matter of "looking at it". If it's just a chest or node or mission item or whatever that's sitting there with no mobs to clear, then first come first serve.

The difference comes when one person starts to do the clearing of mobs to get to the {thing}, and then someone else runs up and grabs it.

It has nothing to do with the strawman nonsense about "looked at it".

So is not a open world loot chest fair game to the first person to get to it and loot it? I don't get mad if someone rushes past me to get one, but it is also the reason I loot them first, before attacking. People can be nice, or douchy, but either way you don't really have a right to be mad at them.

Of course you have a right to be mad at people who are "douchy".

This idea that if you get mad, it's your fault, is a giant excuse for people to be utter tools.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

It's not just a matter of "looking at it". If it's just a chest or node or mission item or whatever that's sitting there with no mobs to clear, then first come first serve.

The difference comes when one person starts to do the clearing of mobs to get to the {thing}, and then someone else runs up and grabs it.

You're avoiding the point; How does this make someone a bad person in reality, to be compared to school shooters, over picking something up in a computer game that doesn't actually belong to you in the first place?

This idea that if you get mad, it's your fault, is a giant excuse for people to be utter tools.

You control whether or not you get mad. Only young children or those with emotional problems routinely lose control of their emotions over utter trivialities (because to them they are not utter trivialities because they lack emotional and intellectual maturity; and of course everyone gets mad at times, but it's nothing to be proud of).

You control whether or not you get mad. Only young children or those with emotional problems routinely lose control of their emotions over utter trivialities (because to them they are not utter trivialities because they lack emotional and intellectual maturity; and of course everyone gets mad at times, but it's nothing to be proud of).

I am SITH!

You're avoiding the point; How does this make someone a bad person in reality, to be compared to school shooters, over picking something up in a computer game that doesn't actually belong to you in the first place?

I didn't compare them to school shooters.

It does show what sort of person they are "when no one is looking", however, and that's the true test of a person -- how do the behave when there are no repercussions, and no rules, just how they treat other people. Do they show consideration for someone else, or under the cover of online anonymity, do they disregard the other person and simply take what they want?

In a sense, the {thing} does belong to the person clearing it -- they're putting in the effort to remove the mobs so they can get to it, in the same way that the money in someone's bank account is usually theirs because they've put time and effort into obtaining it.

The poacher in an MMO is running up to take something that someone else has already put the effort into obtaining. They disregard the other person entirely, grab what they want, and find the whole thing funny.

Of course, most of them are utter hypocrites and know on some level that what they're doing is wrong. Observe how often they will out themselves with a tirade of insulting self-defense if you so much as say something like "Wow, always someone willing to poach a ____." Almost immediately, they'll roar into a fuming, juvenile tirade about how they didn't do anything wrong and you should have grab it when you had the chance and so on. It's all very transparent.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised, when we live in a culture where an increasing number of people think the best laugh is ruining someone else's fun -- especially because it's that other person's "fault" if anything you do gets to them. Blase, detachment, utter lack of concern, and the cynical laugh are the height of sophistication, and Empathy and emotion the height of weakness, to these little wannabe nihilists.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Sure, sure, if one wants to excuse being a d-bag to everyone around them and then crowing "there's no rule against it, losers!"

You can act like your mad, but you can't get mad and I'll tell you why.

There is no difference, which you continually fail to realize. In the open world, just because you fight something next to something else does not make the something else yours until you click, tag or loot it. It is entirely the player's fault attacking the group of mobs next to the other things for not prioritizing what they want.

You can act like your mad, but you can't get mad and I'll tell you why.

There is no difference, which you continually fail to realize. In the open world, just because you fight something next to something else does not make the something else yours until you click, tag or loot it. It is entirely the player's fault attacking the group of mobs next to the other things for not prioritizing what they want.

So you're saying that the only choices are to risk letting someone else take {thing}, or play like an idiot by rushing in to grab it before you clear the mobs?

Edited by Max_Killjoy

So you're saying that the only choices are to risk letting someone else take something, or play like an idiot by rushing in before you clear the mobs?

If you have trouble fighting mobs and clicking quest objectives/looting chests at the same time, then you need to either learn to play your class better, send a companion in to soak damage, re-roll to a different easier class more attuned to your skill level (They are all easy to play btw.) or simply quit the game because nothing you say here in this thread is going to change anything.

If you have trouble fighting mobs and clicking quest objectives/looting chests at the same time, then you need to either learn to play your class better, send a companion in to soak damage, re-roll to a different easier class more attuned to your skill level (They are all easy to play btw.) or simply quit the game because nothing you say here in this thread is going to change anything.

Ah, yes, it was only a matter of time until someone dragged out that hoary old favorite...

This has nothing to do with difficulty -- failing to clear the mobs first is sloppy, stupid play no matter what the relative ease.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Ah, yes, it was only a matter of time until someone dragged out that hoary old favorite...

This has nothing to do with difficulty -- failing to clear the mobs first is sloppy, stupid play no matter what the relative ease.

OK, you play "neat and clean," the rest of us will play "smart."

It's smart play to ensure you get what you came for, or you know you can just attacks the mobs first and leave everything next to it that you want open for a fair game because no matter how much you want it or think it's yours....

It's not. And it won't be until you tag, click, loot before someone else.

Adapt or Perish, Max.

It's smart play to ensure you get what you came for, or you know you can just attacks the mobs first and leave everything next to it that you want open for a fair game because no matter how much you want it or think it's yours....

It's not. And it won't be until you tag, click, loot before someone else.

Adapt or Perish, Max.

You're right, I'm a fool for thinking that my fellow human beings should show even the most effortless and easy level of basic consideration and decency. :rolleyes:

You're right, it's absolutely acceptable for one person to come across another fishing, and wait until he's hooked a fish, and reeled it in, and just gets it out of the water... and then grab the fish and walk off. After all, it's not their fish until they get it in the boat, right?

Edited by Max_Killjoy

You're right, I'm a fool for thinking that my fellow human beings should show even the most effortless and easy level of basic consideration and decency. :rolleyes:

You're right, it's absolutely acceptable for one person to come across another fishing, and wait until he's hooked a fish, and reeled it in, and just gets it out of the water... and then grab the fish and walk off. After all, it's not their fish until they get it in the boat, right?

You're too busy worrying about other people when you could spend that time on learning to play better and prioritizing what you want to grab first in the open free game world of swtor.

Also your analogy falls apart because if you're on a boat you would be in the water in the middle of the lake. No one is going to be walking off with your fish. You could run them over with your boat.

You really should stop trying to apply real life analogies.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

You're too busy worrying about other people when you could spend that time on learning to play better and prioritizing what you want to grab first in the open free game world of swtor.

Also your analogy falls apart because if you're on a boat you would be in the water in the middle of the lake. No one is going to be walking off with your fish. You could run them over with your boat.

You really should stop trying to apply real life analogies.

More people should stop trying to nitpick the analogy instead of grasping the parallel it's meant to illustrate.

It is real life. There are real people behind those other player characters in the game, actual players spending actual time trying to enjoy the game. Do you want to make their life a miniscule bit worse, or a miniscule bit better (or at least leave them alone)? What effect do you want to have on the people around you?

How you treat the person behind the player character "in here" should be no different from how you'd treat another person "out there." (And let's not bring up the PvP thing, PvP can be done by mutual consent -- much of what goes on in an NFL game would be a felony off the field.)

More people should stop trying to nitpick the analogy instead of grasping the parallel it's meant to illustrate.

It is real life. There are real people behind those other player characters in the game, actual players spending actual time trying to enjoy the game. Do you want to make their life a miniscule bit worse, or a miniscule bit better (or at least leave them alone)? What effect do you want to have on the people around you?

How you treat the person behind the player character "in here" should be no different from how you'd treat another person "out there." (And let's not bring up the PvP thing, PvP can be done by mutual consent -- much of what goes on in an NFL game would be a felony off the field.)

But your analogy doesn't work because no one can steal from you once you've tagged, clicked or looted in game.

It's just a video game, if you let yourself be bothered by what other people do in the same game you're playing that they have every right to do to begin with, then you need to either ignore it, stop playing or take a moment to realize that you're getting upset over pixels.

But your analogy doesn't work because no one can steal from you once you've tagged, clicked or looted in game.

It's just a video game, if you let yourself be bothered by what other people do in the same game you're playing that they have every right to do to begin with, then you need to either ignore it, stop playing or take a moment to realize that you're getting upset over pixels.

If I was that detached from the game, I wouldn't play it. Why would I put hours a week into something that I don't care about at all, that generates no reaction, and that is completely meaningless to me?

Why would you?

You do know the chest will respawn right? Just take a deep breath and don't stress. It's a game. That green piece of gear wasn't worth this post.

It's not just chests. It's quest nodes, and other things, too. In some places, they can take longer to respawn than you'd otherwise be there. And some chests contain more credits more than are awarded for completing almost any one of the missions in that same place.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

If I was that detached from the game, I wouldn't play it. Why would I put hours a week into something that I don't care about at all, that generates no reaction, and that is completely meaningless to me?

Why would you?

It's not just chests. It's quest nodes, and other things, too. In some places, they can take longer to respawn than you'd otherwise be there.

Because it's just a game that I find fun and I don't let how other people play the game bother me at all?

Because it's just a game that I find fun and I don't let how other people play the game bother me at all?

Yeah that's usually the case when you're the one with no etiquette. Bullies aren't bothered by people getting punched in the stomach because they're the ones doing the punching. Doesn't make them any less of a jerk for doing it. There's always an excuse to act like a jerk. Everything from local school kids to world leaders who have committed atrocious crimes against humanity have had some lame excuse for why it was ok.

Yeah that's usually the case when you're the one with no etiquette. Bullies aren't bothered by people getting punched in the stomach because they're the ones doing the punching. Doesn't make them any less of a jerk for doing it. There's always an excuse to act like a jerk. Everything from local school kids to world leaders who have committed atrocious crimes against humanity have had some lame excuse for why it was ok.

There is a core difference between everything there & what happened in a computer game: Those sets of circumstances are real & the computer game stuff is fantasy which has zero bearing on a persons actual personality & tenancies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.