So then BioWare.....

Transcendent

You know I don't care about PVP.

That said, they straight-up said 'better than cross-server' is being worked on and I have 'no' idea what it could be if it's not merged factions. And that bothers me.

At this point, I sincerely believe that they need to explain what 'better than cross-server' is, if only because it's been long enough to have 'something' to point at.

maybe the "better than cross server" is just let PVP die a slow agonizing death so they can stop having to listen to all the pvp players complain. and eliminate having to balance game for both PVP and PVE :)

well I can dream can't I?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe the "better than cross server" is just let PVP die a slow agonizing death so they can stop having to listen to all the pvp players complain. and eliminate having to balance game for both PVP and PVE :)

The selfish part of me agrees with you.

The rest of me would miss a lot of players that'd quit if that happened.

Or they will merge the PvP servers. That is better than cross server queues. Better as in the server pop would go up.

You know I don't care about PVP.

That said, they straight-up said 'better than cross-server' is being worked on and I have 'no' idea what it could be if it's not merged factions. And that bothers me.

At this point, I sincerely believe that they need to explain what 'better than cross-server' is, if only because it's been long enough to have 'something' to point at.

Sounds like it was just a drunken deflection.

At any rate; they really need to say if they plan to address anything with server population from dead servers, to incredibly single faction heavy others. As it is, I took advantage of my free transfer but I left about 1 of every advanced class on the dead one and even with 12x XP; I'm not all that interested in leveling them all again, crew skills and all just to find out there will be a merge or if it turns out to be entirely pointless come the expansion.

I asked the dev team about the possibility of having Rep and Imps play together at a community event when GSF came out and they indicated it was a technical nightmare on the same vein as cross server q's.

This is probably true, given a lot of content has faction story elements, even pvp, with the training vs enemy audio/text. though this was there chance to fix many of the population issues. I am very disappointed now, my excitement went from 10 to 3 because of this (and the mistake of not having new MMO content), yet another bad decision, sometimes you just need to do it and stop complaining about technical issues (speaking as a software developer).

i do feel that Bioware is in a lose/lose situation, mostly because they don't know how to read their own statistics and they still don't know how to develop a MMO. They are OK at storytelling, but their execution of it within an MMO sucks.

The better than xserver clearly applied to the new reward / gearing system / pricing reavealed a while back. They're figuring the lower entry barrier and more immediate season rewards will get more people to participate. And I can see the logic in that, I for one plan to up my participation come next season based on the fact I don't have to regrind as much and the token system seems appealing to me.

Omg, I hadn't even considered that the 3.3 changes could be what they were referring to, but knowing them it all makes sense now! LOL. Honestly though, anyone who thinks the 3.3 changes will do more good than cross server would needs to have their head checked.

Thank you for answering but this is VERY disappointing. What are you planning to do to address server population concerns then especially for ranked pvp?

Lol did u read that to yourself? Ranked pvp?

They don't care man, if your focus in the game is pvp you might as well call it.

Good question! Factions will not be able to play together in group content, as it is now.

-eric

This is pretty disappointing to hear really. (one minor spoiler below)

The only reason to hold onto the faction system at this point would be because they intend to have the story take the turn where the Sith Empire and the Republic resume an all-out conflict at some point in the future.

From a RP standpoint, it makes more sense to have cross-faction grouping and content since the standing governments are gone and we're essentially left to our own devices; and while there is a lot of bad blood between the factions, and in general they would hate or be distrustful of each other, there's no reason that small/select groups wouldn't be able to get over it and work together for survival purposes (they've done it before, and more than once already in the storyline, example Imperial Oricon storyline where republic troops willingly fight for the Empire if you take the light path, and then one of them sends you a mail saying he liked it so much that he's staying with the Empire). It wouldn't be forgiveness for what's happened, it would be that the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and it would open up entirely new avenues for story, and solve the population problems on different servers.

Look at it this way: If the Sith and Jedi have really retreated to the temples then that would mean that the Empire is in complete disarray since their society is built upon obedience to the Sith; while the loss of the Jedi wouldn't mean a whole lot to the functionality of the Republic, meaning that their entire government and military command infrastructure would have had to have been outright smashed for the Republic to collapse.

That means that, in the Empire, only a limited number of Sith would still be other there and they would be vying for control of what's left, while trying to fight the new faction, which translates to limited civil war within the remains of the Empire, while the new faction is still out there (and probably hammering them day by day). While in the Republic, the individual planets would be looking out for themselves, some planetary/former republic leaders would have taken the initiative and banded together with each other for protection and made whatever agreements they had to with local republic military forces in order to fight the new threat and protect against raids from Imperial or pirate forces. Story-wise, that translates to new alliances, some new areas for political corruption and oppression, all while trying to defend against the new enemy.

Even if either of the factions were able to miraculously defeat the new faction tomorrow, they would both be too weak to continue the all-out fight against each-other for another 10-20 years, during which time they'd have to rebuild and re-establish themselves (a dominant Sith would come out and the Republic would likely be reformed but at a smaller size and still re-absorbing old member planets). But that's just assuming that the new faction is defeated by some miraculous means the day after we wake up from carbonite, which they won't be.

Due to that (and even if it did happen honestly), there's no reason to believe that one of the few remaining light-side Jedi on a boarder world that's reasonably secure, wouldn't see an opportunity to help a struggling former Imperial world from some problem (pirate/mandalorian raiders, extreme internal corruption and/or oppression, heavy raids from the new faction, and so on) that they work together to defend one-another. The same could be said for a level-headed and opportunistic Sith to try and gain the support of a former Republic world to gain access to whatever resources that world had.

That's all that would be needed to be the basis of cross-faction content; the two factions wouldn't have to unite, only a small portion, while the larger entities remain in disarray for decades to come. Thus solving population problems on servers, and creating new RP opportunities for the community; and if you're going to say that it makes PvP make no sense, then you're wrong there too because the warzones just become simulations and the open-world pvp stays in its time period when the Imps and Pubs were still at war so that doesn't matter anyway.

Ultimately, cross-faction just makes more sense based on the game's needs and where they're taking the story, and I'm pretty disappointed that they're not going to do it and I hope that they change their minds.

Edited by Sivar

Will the fleets be merged imp/pub into one new "outlander fleet?"

That's how they should have done it, but given the factions are separate still for no real reason (except technical...limitations, lol), they probably wont and we will have the same fleets, lol so much for the story and all, long live the fleet stations...even after the factions are "in ruin and destroyed".

Rule number 1: when in a war always leave the enemies main bases and staging points up and functional...

LOL! I doubt they even touch the fleets...expect them to be identical to how they are today.

That would be disappointing and a huge barrier to the immersion. I expect a new 65 hub for both factions, separate from the pre-FE content.

Good question! Factions will not be able to play together in group content, as it is now.

-eric

The key thing people need to take away from this is he said as it is now meaning that they are making things where it will happen that are different from how it is now.

The key thing people need to take away from this is he said as it is now meaning that they are making things where it will happen that are different from how it is now.

huh what?

basically what he said is nothing is going to change, factions will still be factions and will not be playing together. Exactly how it is now.

No new myths pls. He said it's not changing, which is crappy news for those on dead servers unless they have something else planned. Which I doubt based on history and the way they've been doing things.

Edited by Joesixxpack

So how does this address server population, especially on PVP servers. Have you seen the population numbers for Prophecy of the Five? Have you seen the population numbers of Jung Ma? These servers are dead and this issue needs to be addressed. Will there be merges? Will there by complimentary transfers? Not to mention Ranked Arenas are completely dead on PoT5. There's even a wait for regular warzones these days.

as much as i hate to bring this up, the fact that pvp is "dead" on such servers that were made for pvp goes to show how such a small percentage of ppl actually pvp, as this is from a big pvper. i expect them to do another server merge as that seems to be the easiest way to deal with the population issue but at the cost of removing pvp servers in general cuz lets face it, they aint that popular.

No lol...he said "Nope, not happenin", using words you didn't understand.

No new myths pls. He said it's not changing, which is crappy news for those on dead servers unless they have something else planned. Which I doubt based on history and the way they've been doing things.

So it seems that all legacy content will remain faction and all Fallen content will be non faction at least from what I can gather.

Probably wouldn't help the dead servers anyway as most of us moved to the Harbinger. What it will be next is everyone just roll Sith so we can be a focused population that way as well.