An Update on Squelching and Credit Spam

EricMusco

Hi,

Can you confirm whether or not this new system will affect sellers such as myself who put messages in trade chat every 30 minutes or so to advertising the items that we are selling?

Would be pretty bad if I accidentally got muted for selling my stuff :(

I think it is fairly safe to say that since you are not deliberately trying to send out messages as fast as you are able, you would not trigger the automatic response to spamming. The only way you would have your message rate reviewed would be if it was reported for spam, and even then that would be reviewed by a CSR for the legitimacy of the report.

With that in mind, you would be a-ok especially if you are doing it as infrequently as 30 minutes.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks!

I am here today to pass on a fairly elaborate explanation around the credit spam that has been happening, and what we are doing, right from a member of our Security Team.

-eric

Wait... You mean the security team is like real life Imperial Agents (according to Keeper, agents aren't going to receive glory because they work behind the scenes and such)?

Regardless of the answer to that, I'm glad to hear that something is being done, even if it wasn't specific (for obvious security reasons). Thanks!

"Our automated system has caught you sending the same message multiple times. We are pausing your ability to whisper in an effort to reduce spam. You will be able to whisper again in (60) seconds."

For which said spammer will thank you profusely for giving you the exact parameters to work around on the next iteration of the bot. You may as well post a sign that says, "Kick me here for best effect."

keep helping us help you.
Something that needs to happen is that we need a single "Report & Ignore" button.

As it is, we have to report, close the box, and then go back and ignore them.

Also, the menus change based on character proximity (which really makes no sense for chat functions) and we have to further navigate through sub-menus just to get there.

I mean, there's all kinds of different reporting options if a character is standing near you, but if they're harassing you from the other side of the fleet, all those options go away.

What's the point of that?

Also, let us ignore that character on ALL of our characters.

If I'm annoyed by that person on one character, odds are that I'm still gonna be annoyed by them on an alt.

TL;DR

- Make reporting & ignoring a single step process at all times and make our ignore list global to our entire Legacy.

Thank you for helping us help you help us all.

I thought I noticed a little less whisper spam than usual. Good on you guys.

Considerably less whisper spam here. Like, REALLY a lot less! Realized that a few days ago. Thumbs up, and a cute chick's hug with smooches left and right for security! ;)

Edited by Nazdika

Thank you anonymous and I appreciate you taking ownership of the issue of report not 'working' but take issue with the idea that it was a 'brief time' and if it was then CSR wasn't doing their jobs when those reports were working because there was a LONG time that reporting spam seemed to be ignored for hours, like all day.

Also I have to agree with many others and I'm quoting this community member's post to emphasize the issue with reporting:

Something that needs to happen is that we need a single "Report & Ignore" button.

Also, the menus change based on character proximity (which really makes no sense for chat functions) and we have to further navigate through sub-menus just to get there.

I mean, there's all kinds of different reporting options if a character is standing near you, but if they're harassing you from the other side of the fleet, all those options go away.

What's the point of that?

If I'm annoyed by that person on one character, odds are that I'm still gonna be annoyed by them on an alt.

TL;DR

- Make reporting & ignoring a single step process at all times and make our ignore list global to our entire Legacy.

I'd add you need to add the function of removing perma-banned/deleted accounts from our ignore lists IF that isn't already happening. I think it may have been going on and perhaps it still does I don't know, I noticed when spam was very prodigious quite a while ago that many of the ignored people on my list got a _ or other identifying character added to their name I assumed this meant they were deleted but don't know. I also haven't run into the issue of having to manually clear my ignore lists for quite some time which also lends credence to the belief that you are already removing deleted/banned account character names. BUT I simply can't put faith into the idea and HAVE to ask about it.

Also forget this issue which *I* solve by editing general to not show emotes and only have that in my other/guild chat tabs BUT would make sense if ignore actually worked like it should IE.

Great. Now figure out a way to stop the emote spamming (that can't be ignored) of credit selling URLs.

TLDR: Thanks for talking to us and owning up to your own errors BUT we need better functionality if YOU want the maximum number of players to HELP you make credit spammers go away with a better ignore implementation.

Edited by JumperPenn

Great. Now figure out a way to stop the emote spamming (that can't be ignored) of credit selling URLs.

Yes, I saw one of those yesterday spamming emotes that could be read as a certain site.

Emote spamming needs to be looked into and stopped aswell

Edited by Icestar

and the more reports we get on a person the higher up it goes in our list of ‘Likely spam message’ for us to track and deal with

I think this excerpt is what causes a lot of grief for players. Although I am generally happy to see this post, this is why people think nothing is being done even if there is.

Your system of approach has always seemed to lack expeditiousness and this comment would support that notion.

When I see a spammer who spams a certain type of message, I don't need 100 reports to realise it's a gold spammer. I need just one. So I instantly recognise it. You guys apparently need them to get to the top of a list before it gets any type of priority. There's the discrepancy in my view: the delay between the two.

I've even seen something new. People selling hypercrates for "lower than the GTN" and then the website like MMOwhatever.com behind it in the message. I am not even sure if people all realise what's happening there but they are adapting very quickly.

I am quite sure that you guys don't sit still but you do seem to be moving a lot slower than the players and the "baddies" and this is because of this apparent report listing that needs to get to a level to trigger action.

Not saying that the job is easy at all, but perhaps you can understand why people are frustrated when players can pick out baddies in seconds, the baddies adapt in no time as well and everybody is wondering where you are. It is a thankless job sometimes but I wonder if there are things that could be done especially since the number of servers you need to watch is not a huge list anymore.

Well, perhaps you understand how it can look to players.

hey there's another new method they're using which bypasses the right click report spam right click ignore method

Someone named their character the name of their website think it was something like VVV,MMOGOLD,C0M or something like that and then ran into busiest place on fleet and spammed /greet over and over, their name cannot be right clicked as it is a emote. Thanks for reducing the spam

TL;DR

I totally agree and couldn't have said it any better. I often use multiple alts to craft upgrades (Armorings, Mods, Enhancements, Color Crystals, Barrels, etc.) and while collecting materials on the fleet, I'll use the report option and then ignore the exact same spammer on four or more alts. One click report and ignore for the whole account is sorely needed.

I'd like to see the "Report as Spam" trigger an automated "ban" as soon as a (small) threshold is reached (5 reports from 5 different accounts?). If you want to do manual checks, then manually "unban" if the automated tool made a mistake.

Thank you for your efforts, know that you are appreciated even if we don't know who you are and don't see everything you do.

Also, add me to the list of people requesting single click report & ignore being account wide. If I ignore them, I want to be ignoring every character on their account (not just legacy, whole account) with every character on my account.

And yes, the emote spam and name spam need to be stopped.

Man I love you guys and know you are trying your very best. It does seem like it'd be trivial for credit spammers to slightly change the message with each /tell, though, if that prevents them from being squelched.

I have noticed a reduced amount of spam on my end. Good on ya. Now if we can only do something about credit and friend referral code spammers in gen chat we'd be golden. One step at a time I guess.

Same here. Right after 12xp started it was really bad. It seems alot better now. Thanks BW.

Unfortunately, it is a never ending struggle.

Great job looking into this. I have noticed less activity of whispers and LFG spam. May I add that they also abuse my mailbox with these spams as well and I hope that there is a way to combat this? Thank you very much!

Judging from what I saw yesterday, I'm saying it's a safe bet that the people who abuse your mailbox also abuse tells and are about to get squelched.

Pleas, please, please create an ignore account or ignore IP feature and allow the ignores to be shared across our legacy. This will reduce the number of times we need to ignore these spammers across our account. I am sure part of the issue is that we need to ignore the same spammer up to 22 times currently.

And while you're at it, allow us to request a global friend option from players as well.