Patch 3.3 upcoming PvP overhaul

DupontTX

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They promised cross server queues years ago. Just another to the list of broken promises.

No, they didn't. You caught a dev saying something like, "Yeah, that would be cool!" and interpreted that as a "promise" that has been "broken" because it has not been implemented when you think it ought to have been. Besides, everyone knows they don;t pay ANY attention to PvP!

Edited by MSchuyler

If most of this is true, then I feel that the devs have actually listened to a lot of the suggestions I made that I thought were do-able without disrupting things too much. So colour me impressed! I am particularly happy about the addressing of the economics of pvp vs the rest of the game (e.g., credits, comms, the grind, the purchase of ranked gear, etc.).

One or two of these I am still wondering about - e.g., the ranked warzone situation -- because I am still leery of heading into them because of the silliness I have seen firsthand in them. (I wonder if a person queued solo ranked with 2018 expertise might still be able to pull something in this proposed setup - but hopefully this has been considered.) But even then, generally speaking, I think that there is enough to lift the spirits of most of the pvp players.

Though I was hoping for something which would help players understand that mystery meat called "bolster", but other than that: good job, Alex! And, nice work on presenting your side of things as a dev.

Edited by Grue_Hunter

Though I was hoping for something which would help players understand that mystery meat called "bolster", but other than that: good job, Alex! And, nice work on presenting your side of things as a dev.

There is an easy fix for this, so I hope the devs see this post. Simply move the bosterizer machine from the ziost ship, to the valken space dock, in the combat training area, and put is right beside the mission terminal. If they do this, ppl will click on it to see what it does and start asking questions as to how it works in the chat.

There is an easy fix for this, so I hope the devs see this post. Simply move the bosterizer machine from the ziost ship, to the valken space dock, in the combat training area, and put is right beside the mission terminal. If they do this, ppl will click on it to see what it does and start asking questions as to how it works in the chat.

no they won't. Come 3.3 it will be easier to get PvP gear than to get the comms to get a bolster set. Let's stop recommending bolster and just tell people to get the real PvP gear which will be better and easier to obtain.

without more wz pops all the changes are pointless. your still in the same boat of not getting matches. This isnt a pvp fix its a pvp band-aid.

The hope is that with a more shallow curve to acquire gear more players will be willing to participate in general. Whether that in fact happens is unknown...my guess is that it is wishful thinking on BW's part.

The hope is that with a more shallow curve to acquire gear more players will be willing to participate in general. Whether that in fact happens is unknown...my guess is that it is wishful thinking on BW's part.

Well, having easier time to obtain gear is nice. In what little gaming time I had sice SoR, I haven't touched WZ, because I didn't have time to farm all new gear.

Also, easier way to get rewards from Ranked might attract more people. I know I would try it more now, knowing I will get something better than a pat on the back (because I am usually mediocre player and end up against heavily coordinated team or with absolute yolo group)

Get Rid of Bolster. Reform the low tier PVP weapons and make it so that PVP lowbie gear sets can be bought depending on the bracket. Give a 162 non set bonus full expertise starter gear in the mail when reaching 60. Now that we have Outfit designer no one cares how it looks.

With he new comm changes everything is in place to make it required to be in full PVP gear at all times. Sorry Ops but can't run the risk of trolls just taking armor off in match.

Also lock stances in a match.

With he new comm changes everything is in place to make it required to be in full PVP gear at all times. Sorry Ops but can't run the risk of trolls just taking armor off in match.

I assume that since they require the full expertise gear to join, they will put a lock on it while you are in queue on in match, just like disciplines.

If not, and someone from BW reads this, they should make it happen.

Edited by Aries_cz

I assume that since they require the full expertise gear to join, they will put a lock on it while you are in queue on in match, just like disciplines.

If not, and someone from BW reads this, they should make it happen.

Not the current plan -- they want the gear check to be there just to ensure that the people queuing for Ranked have played enough PVP to have earned a full 2018 set, but they don't want to force someone to use that set if the player wants to prioritize different stats in combat:

Hello Jaiyne,

If you have less than 2018 Expertise when you attempt to queue you will not be allowed and a GUI message will appear. However, after you queue or when you get into the match you may change out your gear if you want. We have the problem of players entering the queue that aren't ready to compete stat wise so providing a check prevents them from getting into the queue and potentially having a negative impact on their team (and a 'free kill' for the opponents). We still want players to have the ability to customize and min/max their gear setup so we didn't want to take that away, just provide a check to make sure they are experienced in PvP beforehand. Hope that helps!

Edited by DarthDymond

Not the current plan -- they want the gear check to be there just to ensure that the people queuing for Ranked have played enough PVP to have earned a full 2018 set, but they don't want to force someone to use that set if the player wants to prioritize different stats in combat:

That is my point. I hope they make it so you can't remove it. While Certain classes have a benefit from running a old PvE set bonus (Operative Healers) without a lock mechanism there is nothing to prevent trolls from just taking off armor.

Instead BW should make better 6 piece set bonuses.

everything EXCEPT cross server wz's..............

Or cross faction. That is what we REALLY need, I can get full 16 man games on imp side on TRE at 3 AM, I cant get squat on rep side passed 1 am.

Yeah, these are a lot of changes, but it has taken them OVER THREE YEARS to do this stuff, and lets be honest, they aren't huge changes that would take a lot of work to do. AM I happy we got them, yes, but we need cross faction at least, if we are not gonna get cross server.

No, they didn't. You caught a dev saying something like, "Yeah, that would be cool!" and interpreted that as a "promise" that has been "broken" because it has not been implemented when you think it ought to have been. Besides, everyone knows they don;t pay ANY attention to PvP!

No, they literally said X-server was coming with ranked 8v8 in 1.2 during the first guild summit. In fact, it was listed in game as coming with the start of season 1 (which didn't come for over a year). Please fact check before posting.

No, they literally said X-server was coming with ranked 8v8 in 1.2 during the first guild summit. In fact, it was listed in game as coming with the start of season 1 (which didn't come for over a year). Please fact check before posting.

BW's plans for the game back in early March 2012 were vastly different from the direction the game ended up going. If you want to call them out on specific 'broken promises' from what was said back in those days, go for it - it's certainly legitimate feedback if it is actually something you care about.

A lot of players have come to treat pre-F2P plans and post-F2P plans very differently though, and with good reason IMO. So don't be surprised if not that many people care about holding them to the plans that were made back then (setting aside whether a video game's plans for the future rise to the level of being "promises" in the first place).

Edited by DarthDymond

BW's plans for the game back in early March 2012 were vastly different from the direction the game ended up going. If you want to call them out on specific 'broken promises' from what was said back in those days, go for it - it's certainly legitimate feedback if it is actually something you care about.

A lot of players have come to treat pre-F2P plans and post-F2P plans very differently though, and with good reason IMO. So don't be surprised if not that many people care about holding them to the things that were said back then.

And they've come a long way with how they deal with these types of changes. For instance, ranked was delayed because of F2P and I understand why that happened with resources being moved to various places but it was ultimately put in game. X-server never happened because it was far more technologically challenging than they anticipated, which I would have expected them to look into prior to promising to put it in game. The post I quoted was referencing off-hand comments like the "better than cross server" stuff, but failed to take into account the devs actually promising it both in and out of game. I won't hold devs to individual comments they make out of context at cantina events, but will certainly reference official statements regardless of the time frame.

Yes they did. I guess you didn't queue back then or you'd have seen this too.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Well, that is pretty stupid decision. This should be brought up to developers as major problem. Put a lock on it (easier solution) or be more vigilant in punishing people who enter the WZ without full gear, or who remove it during the fight (much harder to monitor)

Well, that is pretty stupid decision. This should be brought up to developers as major problem. Put a lock on it (easier solution) or be more vigilant in punishing people who enter the WZ without full gear, or who remove it during the fight (much harder to monitor)

There are legitimate reasons that some classes are using particular PvE pieces rather than full PvP gear. Until that is resolved, I don't think they can force you to wear it. However, it is easy to identify a player who goes into the game with 2018 expertise and then removes it all to handicap themself. Besides, there are easier ways to throw games like constantly auto attacking, doing nothing, sorc pulling allies into bad spots, etc. that no gear check will ever avoid.

There is one change incoming for capping mechanics (if people don't complain it away as many are trying to do) and some changes to the pvp rewards/cost structures, but that's hardly an overhaul...

This is true. It's far (like light years) from an overhaul...but the majority of changes are really good, particularly the 2018 Expertise requirement for queuing Ranked. Long overdue, that one.

You're wrong. As Joe has pointed out above, they actually did say it was coming.

Not absurd, the idea is probably to have more progress on voidstars, more hotly contested ACW centers too. Might be too easy to cap now though.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but in case anyone didn't point this out yet...

It's more likely to result in the doors getting disarmed after a respawn than before. Most groups will get stopped at the first set of doors now unless they can burn the entire other team really fast, like less than 30 seconds fast, to be able to cap and keep it from being uncapped in 20 seconds. The teams that could do this before, never had an issue with getting stalemated in a voidstar.

For the other warzones, it will be too easy to zerg cap, outside of NC. As I said in another thread, interrupting caps will now require the coordination of a premade on voice chat, which will turn off alot of newcomers to PvP. They need to seriously consider changing the mechanics or the timers of capping if they intend to go through with this change.