Females never given flirt options?

PhoenixDream

I have to say I really feel like I am missing out on what this game is supposed to offer. My options are typically entirely predictable and boring. I play a Jedi Knight.

Truth be told I'm pretty upset about this. Just because I am female that means I don't get to enjoy the game the way I would if I was a guy?

How dissapointing, to say the least!

Get better writers!

well... you are playing a jedi knight ... come to the dark side ;-]

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inc WoT:

I have played my SI to level 38, she is a female and I have had a total of 3 options to flirt with characters. I decided to turn down my first male companion because the dialogue options for this conversation were ****.

And don't try to tell me that Bioware isn't good at writing female flirts, I have romanced the **** out of Kaliyo on my 29 IA, male, and she has had some of the best flirt/taunts I have ever heard of.

I also played a Female IA to about level 24 during beta, and it was quite rubbish. I couldn't seduce ANY ONE, other than one of the first options in the beginning of the game where I would sleep with a guy and get lightside points... ***, I mean I am not even going to start with the problem of sleeping with some random guy to get lightside points, but How the ********** did you think that allowing my IA to not SEDUCE a guy, but to flat out give him sex in order to change his mind would be a valid option?!

Women don't work like that in real life, a woman IA should seduce you, take what they need, and leave you broken if they *********** feel like it.

Its like when they made the IA they said, "we can make him 'James Bond' in star wars..." and then when they realized that they would have to make a female version, they gave it to some random crappy writer, didn't bother changing the lines that Kaliyo says to you to make you think she is hitting on you, and not even bother allowing you to still romance her?! Lazy *****.

TLDR: Don't play a female IA, in fact you should probably not play a female in this game at all, its clear to me now that the majority of the storylines were thought of with a Male character in mind, maybe a few of them were given a bit of thought more than awkward male companions but the over all storylines are not worth it as a female.

Also just to clarify, some classes get 2 male 1 female, others get 2 female 1 male, and some only get 1 male 1 female.

It depends on the class, and its pretty equal over all.

The problem really isn't just quantity, its quality.

I also played a Female IA to about level 24 during beta, and it was quite rubbish. I couldn't seduce ANY ONE, other than one of the first options in the beginning of the game where I would sleep with a guy and get lightside points... ***, I mean I am not even going to start with the problem of sleeping with some random guy to get lightside points, but How the ********** did you think that allowing my IA to not SEDUCE a guy, but to flat out give him sex in order to change his mind would be a valid option?!

Women don't work like that in real life, a woman IA should seduce you, take what they need, and leave you broken if they *********** feel like it.

Exactly. They should hire you as a writer, you seem to understand the mindset of a female IA or pretty much anyone who's trying to extort information this way.

Besides, why would you give sex right away after arriving on a planet just minutes ago and when they have nothing important to give to you anyway? I remember now that first cumbersome encounter in Hutta, it was awkward. A friend of mine accidentally slept with that guy against her wishes, that's how out of the blue it comes.

Edited by Couac

Exactly. They should hire you as a writer, you seem to understand the mindset of a female IA or pretty much anyone who's trying to extort information this way.

Besides, why would you give sex right away after arriving on a planet just minutes ago and when they have nothing important to give to you anyway? I remember now that first cumbersome encounter in Hutta, it was awkward. A friend of mine accidentally slept with that guy against her wishes, that's how out of the blue it comes.

I'm telling you it's a bi-product of a priviledge (Straight Male, usually White too). I think they had to push the game through the door and BioWare must have their games go through some sort of "fleshout" typically where many eyes cover the storyline/gameplay but they didn't have the opportunity.

This is my theory, I say this because even a few females here have lumped us gay men as "just men" in this conversation. We do not think like straight men in this respect, if anything we would focus on something entirely different and the bi-product would make it easier to "convert" a story for women. There are nerdy gay men too, there's a server with a major representation of us even.

There is a female developer btw, she talks in the jedi video. I believe she's a graphics artist though.

My point is, push the issue though, but don't be so mean spirited about it :). It's not their perspective. BioWare has always been a company about diversity, keep that in mind.

I talked about this with a friend. I told her that some people think the lack of flirting depends on either a) writers not having a clue about women or b) writers think women have no sex life or sex drive (which in itself is interesting, do men whoop each other in real life then?)

She said - exaggeratingly, of course - "Well, what did you expect? How does a bunch of nerdy male writers who have no experience of women write credible stories for women? They probably think women have no sex drive at all simply because women don't ever show interest in them."

Observe Kinsey's book about women's sexuality and the outrage it caused upon it's publishing :).

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the nerdy part but probably more something to do with Western Society.

Edited by Darturion

My point is, push the issue though, but don't be so mean spirited about it :). It's not their perspective. BioWare has always been a company about diversity, keep that in mind.

You're right, you're right! But I still feel there's discrepancy between the two Biowares. That's the only reason I can come up with because otherwise I don't understand how BW has forgotten women, LGBTs, old, fat, whatever people who want diversity. And they're the leading game company in this respect.

I also know it's incredibly hard to match everything together, but still... :confused:

I play a female sith warrior and have a lot of flirt options. Since i am romancing malavai quinn it seems i have had more opportunity lately with other npc's but it may have something to do wth the romance line. maybe to cause jealousy, kick it up some or whatever the reason. havent really had problems with communicating with my companion either. Its just level and affection based.......even when it shows they want to talk to you and you have high affection rating, sometimes you have to wait till you reach a certain point in the story line to get them to open up.......I love my companion! hes so cute when he gets flustered. :)

It's even more frustrating, no? once you get your romance, you can flirt with a lot of guys but you CAN'T say yes to them because it would ruin your romance. Raaaah! :mad:

I just hope that Bioware will notice all these topics about "we need equality between female and male romances/flirts" and that they will add more flirts for women in the future. And I mean, not only women/women -_-

Edited by Evolvana

I wouldn't necesarrily call it sexist. I mean, they want to enhance the story. The classes are supposed to reflect different personalities. Either way, what do you see more often, a male flirting, or a female flirting? I see where you are coming at, but, like I said, the classes have different personality. For instance, the jedi knight, and jedi consular are tied down by the code, which doesn't exactly encourage them to flirt. The trooper, well, there job is to fight a war, not have s*x with every man (if your playing a female) they see. However, the smuggler is sort of a free rider, so I can see them being the hit and run kind of character. Anyways, I hope you sort of get my point. And, please take into concideration that this is my opinion.

I wouldn't necesarrily call it sexist. I mean, they want to enhance the story. The classes are supposed to reflect different personalities. Either way, what do you see more often, a male flirting, or a female flirting? I see where you are coming at, but, like I said, the classes have different personality. For instance, the jedi knight, and jedi consular are tied down by the code, which doesn't exactly encourage them to flirt. The trooper, well, there job is to fight a war, not have s*x with every man (if your playing a female) they see. However, the smuggler is sort of a free rider, so I can see them being the hit and run kind of character. Anyways, I hope you sort of get my point. And, please take into concideration that this is my opinion.

Flawed argument. Male Jedi can flirt over female Jedi. Male troopers can flirt and females cannot.

Smells like a double standard.

Female SI level 34 now, i've had two options,

One was another sithv in house thul, it looked really dumb when you kept on flirting, lips weren't moving, then it goes into a cutscene briefly make-out and thats it. afterwards, if you choose the third dialog option you say something like "The words coming out of your mouth are making me want to kill myself" that was funny.

The second time was on nar shadaa some captain as you return at level 31. i blew him off though, didn't like how he looked.

My female IA has had, I believe, three options to get in to peoples pants, a ton of options to flirt that eventually go nowhere, one thing that almost felt like a romance with an NPC (for the one planet, before he dropped off the face of the world), and then, of course, the romance option with companion bug-boy.

Though some of them were iffy (the shake of her head after the first attempt, where she just looks all "...I can't believe I did that"), I enjoyed the flirt aspects for the class overall.

Two big problems, though: first, the male IA gets almost double that. And second, none of the other classes I've tried- from Smuggler to both Sith to both Jedi to BH and Trooper- have anywhere near as many flirt/romances as a female, making IA the only one I found satisfying (and even then, it pales in compared to the guys).

This isn't sexism, no- but it is a privilege, and it sucks.

I'm starting to think this is a playstyle thing. I don't play easy to catch neighborhood girl, I wouldn't be surprised if an obnoxious attitude puts people off.

This doesn't bother me one bit, but there's something that does. I've seen two flirt options now. The first one was totally random flirt that leads to your character having sex with the man. Luckily I wasn't doing this but a friend of mine did. She didn't even want that, it literally came out of nowhere. And that man isn't anyone special either, just a sidequest NPC you meet for the first time. Doesn't have anything to give information wise.

Second one was another random nobody in Balmorra. I guess the reason I was given a flirt option was because Kaliyo thought he was cute. Again, an unimportant NPC with no valuable information.

As an IA I anticipated information gathering via various means, but thus far I havent seen any other than random randomness with no logic whatsoever.

Edited by Couac

Well I got O'l Sleezy Doc to a full 10,000 affection points.

He never went any further than the sleeze.

My other Jedi Knight male friends have married Kira. While Doc only ever seems to wants to try keep me warm on Hoth (and yet he hasn't actually kept me warm at all thus far). I'm only level 41 and I am wondering if this is the reason why more storyline hasn't opened up with him. But he hasn't had one redeeming quality, and unlike my male counterparts, I am unwed in this game.

There has never been implied sex with any toon, companion or NPC.

Personally I don't mind if there is implied sex, as long as there is loyalty in a person when it comes to a relationship (in the game of course). But it has been proven that Doc has no loyalty. I would have really liked to have seen him show some loyalty and true companionship type personality traits.

I'm quite dissapointed though, considering I spent quite a bit of credits just to see this companionship storyline develop for nothing. My male friends have been quite thrilled with the story with their female compaions. and I really was hoping for something more interseting to happen that didn't make me feel like I was dealing with the scum of the earth to see where it went. Which turns out is nowhere.

Looks like I'm going to have to play a smuggler to actually enjoy how this part of the game goes.

It is really dissapointing after seeing the videos before the game came out about the companion series. They really built up the romance, only to totally let me down. T hey said that we wouldn't have to choose the romance options but it would be weird if we didn't.

I tried to choose it... but I just didn't have the option to. :(

Playing this game is like reading a good novel in all other ways, so I really expected it to be good. It's a game where I get to choose my own adventure while I play it.

What a letdown this aspect has been, and totally at odds with how fun and how interactive the rest of the game is.

How unfair it feels to see my male friends totally get all they want and beyond out of that part of the storyline, while I don't 'cause I'm female. :( I really don't understand why Bioware didn't get it that women would actually have liked that part MORE than the guys would have... yet it is totally absent.

How odd that male players get more of the stuff women would actually prefer to see!!

(And just a bit about me... I write fiction and I read a lot [a lot of women read a lot] which is part of the reason why I would have liked this to have more depth.)

Edited by PhoenixDream

I rolled a female trooper last night and at level 15 I had two different flirt options. The first was on Ord Mantel in a conversation from a mission in the field. The second option is right after when you step foot on Coruscant and the conversation has multiple flirts if you select the right ones.

I'm starting to think this is a playstyle thing. I don't play easy to catch neighborhood girl, I wouldn't be surprised if an obnoxious attitude puts people off.

This doesn't bother me one bit, but there's something that does. I've seen two flirt options now. The first one was totally random flirt that leads to your character having sex with the man. Luckily I wasn't doing this but a friend of mine did. She didn't even want that, it literally came out of nowhere. And that man isn't anyone special either, just a sidequest NPC you meet for the first time. Doesn't have anything to give information wise.

any other than random randomness with no logic whatsoever.

I just assumed it was my playstyle/dialog choices. I've run across zero flirt options on my bounty hunter so far (level 22) and just one flirt option other than Corso on my Smuggler (level 20). Then again, I tend to pick the no-nonsense mercenary responses on my hunter and the humorous or smart-aleck answers on my Smuggler.

I think I ran across the same scenario as your friend (I took an Imperial agent to level 10 too). I was flirting and next thing you know it was implied sex. I got a laugh out of my character holding her head and shaking it "no" after the cut away scene. Like she was asking, "what just happened?!"

I suppose more flirt options would be a good thing. I didn't realize there was a discrepancy between the options male characters get and female characters get. But I would love more smart-aleck answers myself--mainly for my bounty hunter. I'd love to see her with more of a dry wit that goes over imperial heads.

A note to the folks pointing out that female smugglers get more flirt type options than other classed females -- we still get far far far less than the male smugglers or really the males of any class I've run with so far. Yes, female _smugglers_ get less options for one of the defining characteristics of that archetype than male _jedi_ get. My husband and a friend both have male smugglers that I've run quests with and they get them left and right. I'm lvl 33 (and doing all the side quests, not just story quests) and I've had maybe three options. One of those chat options, I kid you not, was suggesting that an insipid noble propose marriage. Really? That's your idea of a female flirt option? Meanwhile my two male smuggler friends are sleeping their way through the galaxy.

And then our only romance option is a sexist ***** who thinks women shouldn't be allowed to think for themselves and need to be kept like pinned butterflies under glass. Glad I can ignore him.

Not to mention all the points where the male smugglers get called creative insults, those have been rewritten (and therefore rerecorded and reprogrammed -- ie, twice the work) to use "girl" and "female" as insults, and all the times people say things like "don't think I'll hesitate to hit a woman." My impression playing the female smuggler alongside the male is that someone making the decisions on this game f***ing hates women and went out of their way to demonstrate it. News flash, BW. "Female" isn't a g--d--n insult.

I'd like to point out that it's actually more work and more money for voice acting to segregate the genders this way. Instead of just recording and programming "dialog options" for characters regardless of gender, you have to build in switches that offer different dialog options and then record the extra dialog options. More work. More money. So this has to have been a specific and directed design choice. I'm seriously disappointed with BW over it since they were so good in ME about it. If this was a solo game with this much sexism included, I'd probably return it to get my money back.

But hey, at least I'm not in a chainmail bikini in this one, right? *eyeroll*

Female SI level 34 now, i've had two options,

One was another sithv in house thul, it looked really dumb when you kept on flirting, lips weren't moving, then it goes into a cutscene briefly make-out and thats it. afterwards, if you choose the third dialog option you say something like "The words coming out of your mouth are making me want to kill myself" that was funny.

The second time was on nar shadaa some captain as you return at level 31. i blew him off though, didn't like how he looked.

Those are the only two options I've had as SI too. The first character reappears a little later in the story and having had that experience made me care more about what happened to him. This is exactly the sort of thing I would like to see more of. (I also liked that the romance companion (Andronikus) had something to say about it.

I did take the option with the captain, and thought that the outcome was rather sweet (depending on dialogue choices).

I hadn't realised that male characters were gettting more flirt options than female characters, and would like to see the balance redressed.

My female guildies and I have discovered that playing a female Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, and Trooper toons have basically ZERO flirt options throught the entire game play.

(The only exception is when we meet our courting companion and we flirt about three times and then it is over for the durration of the game.)

Originally we suspected it was simply because of the class we were playing until we learned that our male guildies--who play characters of the same class--have several flirt options all throughout the game. It is not specific to class, it is specific to female characters alone.

We feel this is quite sexist and are very dissapointed that the males of the same class toon have more flirt options.

We ask that you re-think future writings on how the genders are played, and please do not make the females so entirely boring and frigid. Let us have a little more personality.

Thank you.

Roll smuggler? Male and female smuggler both have the most one night stands (and assumingly, flirts) of all the classes. (IA Male may have slightly more than SM female, maybe)