Females never given flirt options?

PhoenixDream

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd point out that about half of the writers of SWTOR are women and the SWTOR voice over editing team is almost exclusively female.

Blaming something like sexism as the reason there's less female flirting options is almost ludicrous, considering each of these storylines were, for the most part, written by a single writer.

In all likelihood, the reason for there being fewer female flirt options, is no more than an oversight. The male and female of the same class meet the exact same NPCs, which they go out of their way for to create extra dialogue and this is something that again would have to fit in. Just like with movies, they probably have a lot of dialogue they'd had to cut, some that just turned out not to fit in.

You have to consider how complex this conversation system really is.

Edited by danfly

That 80/20% statistic is based on an a scientifically peer-reviewed and published survey that used over 7,000 players worth of registration data sponsored by a major University. It's also similar to another study's results (84/16%) a few years earlier from another major University.

Statistics are not wrong because you don't agree with them. Unless you're the head researcher on a new study, you can't really just say something like "oh I don't believe that". That's now how science, math, and the facts we derive from the evaluation of these two things, work..

The 80% male/20% female percentage of gamers from a study on 7,129 gamers is a ridiculous statistic. Not to mention this survey is based on Everquest 2, and the participants received an item in Everquest 2 as compensation for participating. This in no way is a representation of TOR subscribers or even MMO subscribers in general. The study says that Everquest 2 represents 85% of MMO subscriptions in 2008. Really? WoW had over 9 million subscribers in 2008 and Everquest 2 has the most MMO subscribers? Where is this guy getting his information? On this website, which tracks active subscriptions for MMOs http://mmodata.blogspot.com/, it clearly shows WoW far above EQ2s numbers. This study seems to be based on incorrect data.

There's over ten million subscribers of WoW and over one million copies of this game sold on release (something like that) and you think a 7,000 person sampling is a valid amount in order to claim women players shouldn't have as much resources devoted to them?

Yes, scientifically valid and published, but a horribly small sampling of the community based on a totally different MMO.

All that being said:

I was very disappointed with the female flirt options.

I leveled a smuggler side by side with my husband's smuggler.

In one notable instance, we both did a class quest at different times. In the same class quest, a woman approached him and flirted, eventually leading him away to her room.

I had nothing of the sort.

The only two other men I can flirt with that I remember

(Darmas and the brother on Alderaan)

are both cartoonish in their pursuit of me.

My romance with Corso was abrupt and strange. He asks me to look up someone from the past in a number of quests. Then there's a quest or two where I can flirt with him. The next several quests don't mention anything about us flirting again and he goes back to talking about his old life and people we should look up.

A few quests later, he brings out a bottle of wine and wants us to drink it together and bone. The quests after that don't have a flirt option, just ask me to look up someone else he lost track of. The whole thing felt unfinished and disjointed.

Compare this to my husband's plotline with Risha, who warms up to him a lot slower, but he is able to flirt with her in almost every companion quest. By the time he is able to propose, you have a sense of the relationship.

Around level 40, we both reroll. I made a consular, he made another smuggler (a gunslinger this time). Obviously, I didn't reroll for the storyline, but that's another issue.

My romance with Iresso was better plotted and did have much more build up with frequent flirts and such. However, that's it.

I don't think I've had a single flirt. My husband just rolled a JK and was able to have sex with someone on Tython during the starting quests.

I would really appreciate more options in the future. I think it's ridiculous that they specifically took time out to add in tryst options for my husband's smuggler, but not even add casual flirting conversation options for mine, never mind the total lack of them for female Consulars and from what you are saying, Knights and Commandos.

Is it better at all for Imperials?

My female SI got her first non-companion Flirt option at the beginning of Nar Shaddaa bonus series. With a stiff, middle-aged and monocled officer.... Not that it bothers me as such, because it basically fits her "character", and I might have missed some option in conversations before, even when I have done all side quests and I try to explore all options in conversations with the help of ESC.

As a side note, one quest on Balmorra is that an entire village was slaughtered because a native left an Imperial officer with which the native, at least I read their relationship thus between the lines, had an affair. Both of them are males. So, a bit of hidden same sex storyline there.

Edited by Rouge

>>Rouge: no, you didn't miss anything and you're right, I could flirt too with that ugly cyborg officer on Nar Shadda... it came out of nowhere... what are they thinking? he was not attractive at all and it's not flirt for manipulation because it was leading nowhere, just some line of flirt.

Do they really think female players want to flirt with the firt ugly guy coming? we want handsome guys and interesting romances!!! :mad:

Just chiming in here

Lvl 27 (or 28 i cant remember) Jedi Knight FEMALE sentinel.

I have had ONE, two if you count the mission to find out if two padawans are in a relationship and count the "KISS HIM" option.

28 Levels and I get ONE.

Now if I was male anyone wanna work out how many i'd have had. Done every quest so far, but went to rescue kira's master first. (still on tant btw)

Do ANY of the Bioware team EVER go out clubbing, Round here its common for girls to flirt with each other all the time, mostly to wind up there partners.

I want to romance Kira dammit

as a male JK at level 35 I think I've got like 1 flirt option outside my companion.

you're playing a Jedi Knight, you can't expect to be a cansinova.

As a side note, one quest on Balmorra is that an entire village was slaughtered because a native left an Imperial officer with which the native, at least I read their relationship thus between the lines, had an affair. Both of them are males. So, a bit of hidden same sex storyline there.

Huh. I really, really thought that was a woman, though the quest text on the database sites says "man"... :confused: Guess I'll have to pay more attention the next time I take a character through Balmorra. :p

Just wanted to say I am a female trooper. I have had at least 2 maybe 3 different npc's to flirt with and I'm only on Nar Shaddaa. I've been enjoying the one on Nar Shaddaa because Jorgan doesn't like it :p Trying to make him jealous ;) My Jedi Knight hasn't had as much but I don't really expect it with her...love is looked down on after all...as should be emotional manipulation.

I'm playing a female IA, level 25. I had one ons on the starting planet and one on Nar Shaddaa (eww), and besides that, one guy on Balmora I could choose one flirty comment... :rolleyes:

My JK is on level 26 and she had one chance to flirt but it didn't lead anywere. I want to flirt with Kira god dammit!

I found this pretty disappointing too. I've played ALL classes between beta and early access as female, and I can safely say women get almost no flirts or romance options. Smuggler was the closest but even then there was hardly any. Just Corso, some smuggler on coruscant that doesnt go anywhere and a guy on alderaan.

I've probably had more flirts and sexual encounters with my male IA whos only level 16 then I've had on ALL my female chars including my level 41 Sith Warrior. This is a pretty big discrepancy.

Anyone who claims women get more flirts then 1 or 2 pet class is obviously lying or is obviously of "those" guys who imagines even a simple "Hello" is a flirt.

Yes, you guys do this, imagine flirts where there are none. Its only a flirt if it has the TAG. Neither my female IA or female smuggler get anywhere enough flirts as my male IA. Hes probably slept with half of Dromund Kaas already and the female IA and Smuggler are in their 30s.

Theres no doubt whoever is writing TOR is obviously a hetero male who cares nothing for female players game experience.

Yergh, I finally got to the Nar Shaddaa bonus series questgiver who was mentioned above, the one that female Imperials can flirt with. Um, ugh? :confused: Out of all the random NPC questgivers, and all the NPC Imp officers that we meet, why did the one we are finally allowed to flirt with have to be a thoroughly unattractive dude? There were plenty of questgiver NPCs on Balmorra, for example, that would have made fine flirt-targets. Some of them were even friendly!

It seems like there is some sort of balancing act in this particular instance, with both male and female characters having a chance to flirt with the Nar Shaddaa bonus questgivers, but if these NPCs were set up so specifically, couldn't they have used a remotely handsome model this one time? Lord Zavrasha, the female counterpart, is an attractive Pureblood, and I'd have much preferred to flirt with her. :p

For the record, as a fem BH, that makes 2 flirts in-game so far. The first was virtually at the beginning of the game, with a random guy who compliments you.

You find out immediately that he's the BH trainer's husband. What a dork. XD

I for one decided to roll a female Jedi consular to try it out and ended up sticking with it.. (I'm male btw) I', only lvl 26 and I've been able to flirt with like...1 person Tharan cordax i think.. I'm not really one to speak out o the whole sexist thing but on my male toons i can flirt ALL the time..

I have a female consular at lvl 30 something and have only been able to flirt with Tharan Cordax, this is disappointing.

as a male JK at level 35 I think I've got like 1 flirt option outside my companion.

you're playing a Jedi Knight, you can't expect to be a cansinova.

Really? I started a male jedi knight the other day, and by 7th level or so I'd already gotten into a (somewhat short-lived, considering you'll leave the planet soon) relationship with the twi'lek girl who takes over as matriarch of her village. It wasn't just a single flirt or two and then sex, either. It was actually 2-3 scenes when I'd come back from quests and talk/flirt with her before "the act" came about.

I haven't tried going back, to see if you can talk to her again (my male JK is only 11th or so).

But they DO exist.

My female sage, on the other hand, I think JUST got her very first "flirt" option on Nar Shadda at 26th. And that was with Theran, a companion.

Edited by LyriaFrost

Anyone who claims women get more flirts then 1 or 2 pet class is obviously lying or is obviously of "those" guys who imagines even a simple "Hello" is a flirt.

Yes, you guys do this, imagine flirts where there are none. Its only a flirt if it has the TAG.

Sounds like you're flirting... :D

It's really interesting now that I think about it. All of my characters (Sith Warrior, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular) are female, so I don't have direct male comparisons of my own to level them with.

I went into the game imagining my characters (most of them I am RPing) as not having romance because they (the Jedi anyway) are Light Side. I never even really noticed that they had very little flirt options because I wasn't looking for romance in the first place.

Even my Smuggler, who I've decided to not make flirtatious with every man that looks at her sideways just because it's so much fun (to me) for NPCs to obviously try hard to hit on her and she's like, "Um... no. Just give me my credits, kthnx."

... but then I watched videos of male characters of the same class flirt left and right.

When I saw the male Jedi Knight have romance options during times that my female Knight was simply all business, I actually blinked at the screen and thought... "really?"

I'm not... offended, I guess is the right word, that my characters don't have romance as much as males simply because I am not doing romances. (And if I did I am majorly hoping for SGRAs which is a completely different topic...)

I am, however, sympathetic to the plight that others (both male and female players) have been expressing that female characters have relatively similar playing experiences allowed in game that is given to their male counterparts.

Hmm... I'm more forgiving of perhaps trooper and smuggler males having a few more flirts since the guys get their LI:s so much later than the girls do. Female troopers and smugglers have their LI:s pretty early so to speak. You can start romancing your LI as a smuggler-femme many many planets before the smuggler guy who prefers the last possible choice on their side.

I think that's one of the reasons why you just can't look a the the number of flirts being available. I feel that it also is important at what time you do receive your LI. Perhaps the male smuggler who prefers to romance the specific companion that you get very late in the game happily would trade two of his current flirts-lines with npc:s in order to be able to quest with that LI ten levels earlier.

I play trooper and smuggler as a female, and I feel that I got the better deal =)

Edited by SilentKitty

SI story spoiler: You know who I would've liked to flirt with?

Overseer Harkun! Not at the beginning of the story, but when you go back to pick a new apprentice. It would've been so amusing to give that chump a little "love zap" and watch how reluctant and disgusted he reacted, while at the same time too scared to turn you down, haha.

My female Assassin has had quite a number of flirt options, I just never click on them.

Mine has had... three I think.

1- Class quest blackguywithredeyes

2- Nar Shoodio mook

3- Fat guy on Hoth.

Plus companions, those aren't in the count.