Plasmatech in PVP post 3.2

Brunner_Venda

We know immolate and flaming fist got the nerf bat, wrecking the single target DPS - but the new two stack flame thrower cleave buff looks interesting.

Will it be of any use in PVP though? I know some people don't like the three second channel, but in the right hands it's amazing to see what some people do with it.

Edit: a couple of questions:

Does flame thrower count as one attack or three for merc decoy and Jugg ED?

What about scorch, is this a dot or a tech attack every GCD? It has to be the most lackluster dot ever.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

We know immolate and flaming fist got the nerf bat, wrecking the single target DPS - but the new two stack flame thrower cleave buff looks interesting.

Will it be of any use in PVP though? I know some people don't like the three second channel, but in the right hands it's amazing to see what some people do with it.

Also remember that thanks to the buffs from rain of fire, the first tick of pulse cannon will also spread Incendiary Round.

I have a feeling Pyro will end up being complained about more than AP

Kwerty!

a couple of questions:

What about scorch, is this a dot or a tech attack every GCD? It has to be the most lackluster dot ever.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

I've often chuckled at the whole premise of three stacks of flamethrower... like as if a clunky rotation was going to make your flames burn hotter. Think about it, you're walkin around with a flamethrower... you'll pull the trigger to burst quickly, or you'll hold the trigger to engulf a target in flames.

I petition that Pyro should have two attacks; flame burst and flamethrower (Oh yeah and that puny little robot Fire Misquito... We'll need a button to press for scorch every 30 seconds).

Hahaha

Edit: a couple of questions:

I played plasmatech while leveling the new content and at 60 to the point that I had full dark reaver but not max'd (I kept the power 168s and dumped as much acc & alac as I could w/o buying new mods). I played a lot of WZs and preseason yolos whenever it popped (which was frequent in preseason).

my impressions of plasmatech were more dire than a dps buff:

• it's true that the burst sucked, and the cleave rarely kept multiple targets in the full channel. and when it did, the healer (unguarded) wasn't taking much dmg (%-wise).
  • single target burst with immolate and the new fire spread, rail, and the various debuffs & procs was more effective, mostly in WZs, because...
  • I melted in arenas. absolutely melted. couldn't burst on demand like the APs were doing, but dcds actually felt...weaker. I had better survivability on the merc (presumably because the merc doesn't need to get into melee range).

it's a sustained spec with poor survivability. nerfing the burst to increase what is, ostensibly, the more time consuming portion of the rotation while not addressing the poor survivability looks like a fail to me. bear in mind that plasmatech requires closer quarter combat than AP for much more sustained periods of time, so even maras are going to have no problem putting you through the ringer.

TL; DR: survivability is going to render cleave buff moot, and almost every class in the game already has multiple options for escaping/breaking the snare anyway.

TL; DR: survivability is going to render cleave buff moot, and almost every class in the game already has multiple options for escaping/breaking the snare anyway.

Hmm, that's why Pyro/Plasma, needs that AOE ability that Shae Vizla uses in Bloodhunt. hahaha

Yea sure, why would anyone not stand in fire for 3 seconds, right? Just ask them nicely.

Do you even try to think? Until pyro can cast it while moving or instant and with single dps nerfed (lol what a joke, it was really that good, but noone knew about it I guess) it will be crap as usual.

I played plasmatech while leveling the new content and at 60 to the point that I had full dark reaver but not max'd (I kept the power 168s and dumped as much acc & alac as I could w/o buying new mods). I played a lot of WZs and preseason yolos whenever it popped (which was frequent in preseason).

my impressions of plasmatech were more dire than a dps buff:

• it's true that the burst sucked, and the cleave rarely kept multiple targets in the full channel. and when it did, the healer (unguarded) wasn't taking much dmg (%-wise).
  • single target burst with immolate and the new fire spread, rail, and the various debuffs & procs was more effective, mostly in WZs, because...
  • I melted in arenas. absolutely melted. couldn't burst on demand like the APs were doing, but dcds actually felt...weaker. I had better survivability on the merc (presumably because the merc doesn't need to get into melee range).

it's a sustained spec with poor survivability. nerfing the burst to increase what is, ostensibly, the more time consuming portion of the rotation while not addressing the poor survivability looks like a fail to me. bear in mind that plasmatech requires closer quarter combat than AP for much more sustained periods of time, so even maras are going to have no problem putting you through the ringer.

I was afraid it would be something like this.

The only people excited about the changes are the dummy-parse drooling PVE-tard crowd.

Make pulsecannon / flamethrower be able to be used while moving, would solve a few problems.

No. There needs to be less of that **** in the game. AP performed fine pre 3.0 without it, we don't need it now.

I'm getting sick and tired of this arms race class balancing.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Make pulsecannon / flamethrower be able to be used while moving, would solve a few problems.

no. just speed it up the way tank version is sped up. don't really need to do anything to its snare or its dmg if you have a much better chance of completing the channel and don't waste as much time channeling (so you can do other things).

edit: the spec is broken in the two most fundamental ways: it lacks burst and survivability. AP is broken, but it has burst that compensates for its poor survivability (which I think includes a better KO than plasmatech?). so, comically, the spec that hits harder and faster also has slightly better dcds and a better survivability rate b/c they can actually kill something before they drop.

VG is my main. it's my first toon. it's my favorite. I got the PT going just to be safe from faction imbalance issues. but I've shelved both of them since 3.0. they're just stupidly broken in glaring (and opposite) ways. plasmatech is futile, and AP is fun for the first couple days (like a dog with a new toy).

Edited by foxmob

no. just speed it up the way tank version is sped up. don't really need to do anything to its snare or its dmg if you have a much better chance of completing the channel and don't waste as much time channeling (so you can do other things).

edit: the spec is broken in the two most fundamental ways: it lacks burst and survivability. AP is broken, but it has burst that compensates for its poor survivability (which I think includes a better KO than plasmatech?). so, comically, the spec that hits harder and faster also has slightly better dcds and a better survivability rate b/c they can actually kill something before they drop.

VG is my main. it's my first toon. it's my favorite. I got the PT going just to be safe from faction imbalance issues. but I've shelved both of them since 3.0. they're just stupidly broken in glaring (and opposite) ways. plasmatech is futile, and AP is fun for the first couple days (like a dog with a new toy).

I would be perfectly happy with that as well.

Nope. Pyro has a minute and a half or so less CD on kolto overload, and it gets a 30% DR on it. Clever kids will hit their adrenal when it fires off for 45% DR.

That means adrenalin rush/KO is basically 8 seconds of God mode for pyro, as it will always heal them up to 40% in 3.2 - every 90 seconds or so.

It's good. Real good. AP kolto has no DR and just gets burst though like it's not there.

It's a crying shame the devs balanced this class listening to the dummy parse drooler dorks, because it apparently still sucks for PVP. Gee fellas! I got a 4,956.21 parse on NIM brontes! Fear my skill!

Edited by Brunner_Venda

I played a little Pyro on my PT in Yolo after I hit level cap and I frankly just don't see it making much of a difference in PvP. The age old issue with FT is that it's so telegraphed. No opponent worth their salt will let you get off a full channel...like ever.

The change may be nice for PvE, but it's meh for PvP.

Edited by DarthOvertone

Kwerty!

a couple of questions:

For merc decoy, each application of damage is considered 'one attack'

I don't melt in Arenas (Reg) simply because Pyro is not targeted like AP. It is known that Pyro 3.0 has not this burst so it is far from the 1 choice.

If you get in melee range when not needed you mean. Still can hit 3k elemental dmg from 15m + dots + railshot + grenade.

The change may be nice for PvE, but it's meh for PvP.

The AoE is great and 3.2 buff spread is even better.

Edited by Aetideus

Nope. Pyro has a minute and a half or so less CD on kolto overload, and it gets a 30% DR on it. Clever kids will hit their adrenal when it fires off for 45% DR.

That means adrenalin rush/KO is basically 8 seconds of God mode for pyro, as it will always heal them up to 40% in 3.2 - every 90 seconds or so.

It's good. Real good. AP kolto has no DR and just gets burst though like it's not there.

It's a crying shame the devs balanced this class listening to the dummy parse drooler dorks, because it apparently still sucks for PVP. Gee fellas! I got a 4,956.21 parse on NIM brontes! Fear my skill!

It is great in 8x8 and Reg Arenas already. It just needs skill as any Normal spec like Deception, Concealment and Madness sorc, not like AP and Hatred.

Edited by Aetideus

I don't melt in Arenas (Reg) simply because Pyro is not targeted like AP. It is known that Pyro 3.0 has not this burst so it is far from the 1 choice.

If you get in melee range when not needed you mean. Still can hit 3k elemental dmg from 15m + dots + railshot + grenade.

The AoE is great and 3.2 buff spread is even better.

aside from getting close for the stock strike replacement, you need to be close when you uncork pulse cannon because if you don't, you almost never get the full channel on one, let alone multiple, targets. I'll try to limit interrupts by popping htl, but man...that's such a waste in and of itself just to complete one channel, which is suppose to be your featured attack. :(

edit: there was no distinction in preseason on my server. it's like deception vs. hatred. if you're a sin, ppl hate you. if you're a dps pt, they try to kill you fast. or they did. as I said, it was at least a month ago now.

Edited by foxmob

I'll take your word on it as I haven't played it on a month or so. I was getting absolutely crushed in preseason. easy kill. when left alone I could rack up tons of fluff with cleave and the new dot spread. but the only remotely useful (noticeably useful, anyway) stuff I could do was the single target burst with rail crits on debuffed targets.